Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

To me, it seems like a bizarre decision to limit Demons and Demons 2 to 3000 copies vs a wide release of Street Trash. Back in the VHS days, every video store I visited had copies of the Demons movies, but I had to trade videotapes with someone in the 90s to finally see Street Trash. I remember seeing the poster for Demons at every Mom & Pop store, and actually had a shirt for Demons 2 that was bought at Mr. Movies or some video chain. I would think that stuff with monsters from hell would sell much more than a movie about hobos drinking bootleg booze that causes them to melt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

fruitpunch posted:

I wish they were releasing stuff in the UK, or at least region free, I really want their They Live! The equivalent in the UK is Arrow, and they're really great, just got the steel book of Blow Out and it's great

Yeah I'm from the UK too but luckily I have a region free player. It's a shame I need one though because the Criterion/Shout! stuff are well worth getting.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Olive Films confirmed Betty Boop: The Essential Collection Vol. 1 for July release with the following cartoons remastered in 4K from the original negatives:

1. CHESS NUTS (1932)
2. BETTY BOOP, M.D. (1932)
3. BETTY BOOP'S BAMBOO ISLE (1932)
4. BETTY BOOP FOR PRESIDENT (1932)
5. BETTY BOOP'S PENTHOUSE (1933)
6. BETTY BOOP'S BIRTHDAY PARTY (1933)
7. BETTY BOOP'S MAY PARTY (1933)
8. BETTY BOOP'S HALLOWE'EN PARTY (1933)
9. BETTY BOOP'S RISE TO FAME (1934)
10. BETTY BOOP'S TRIAL (1934)
11. BETTY BOOP'S LIFE GUARD (1934)
12. THE FOXY HUNTER (1937)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ultraviolence123 posted:

At AVManiacs, Bob Murawski of Grindhouse Releasing announced that Pieces is getting a 4k mastered Blu-ray this year. I love that trash cinema titles are getting quality treatments as well. I'd rather have a Blu-ray collection filled with classic 70s / 80s horror, sci-fi and exploitation than major Hollywood anyday. Speaking of classic 80s horror, Scream Factory announced at their Facebook that they are releasing Prince of Darkness on Blu-ray this fall. Probably my favorite Blu-ray company at the moment would be Scream Factory / Shout Factory.

This is awesome news. I bought Pieces on DVD a few years ago for a ridiculous price, but I am more than happy to spend the money upgrading to BR. Also, can't wait for PoD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has the Universal Monsters set for $66 right now.
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cla...versal+monsters

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon UK has the same set region free for 42.71 USD (Shipping included)!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I have to ask, what box is the Terminator remastered in? I was at Target today and they had the Terminator blu-ray with the Terminator holding two guns while a red glow is on his eye while staring at the camera, but when I was looking on my phone, it was a different one with the Terminator in a different pose, looking to the side. I didn't buy it since I am not sure if it the new release or a redressed old release.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Rirse posted:

I have to ask, what box is the Terminator remastered in? I was at Target today and they had the Terminator blu-ray with the Terminator holding two guns while a red glow is on his eye while staring at the camera, but when I was looking on my phone, it was a different one with the Terminator in a different pose, looking to the side. I didn't buy it since I am not sure if it the new release or a redressed old release.

This is the one you want.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ApexAftermath posted:

Yeah the one I saw when looking on my phone. The one I kept seeing was this one (minus the rating symbol).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Wow, has it ever been this low? Might finally be time to snag this.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Rirse posted:

Yeah the one I saw when looking on my phone. The one I kept seeing was this one (minus the rating symbol).

You might have to get it online. My Best Buy didn't get any copies in on release day. The Best Buy guy seemed to think they wouldn't either. Who knows.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ApexAftermath posted:

You might have to get it online. My Best Buy didn't get any copies in on release day. The Best Buy guy seemed to think they wouldn't either. Who knows.

Yeah when I was looking it up today, Amazon had the remastered for the same price as the one Target was selling, which what made it even more confusing.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Rirse posted:

Yeah when I was looking it up today, Amazon had the remastered for the same price as the one Target was selling, which what made it even more confusing.

No doubt. I didn't realize the case for the non-remaster looked so similar either. That's pretty dodgy.

I had the old old blu ray case which looked like this

Now that I think about it, it seems like terminator has had more variations on its cover art than any other movie I've seen.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Is anyone getting the Ninja III blu-ray? I watched the beginning of it on youtube and I can't see how the rest of that movie can maintain how nuts it is. Is this a blind buy?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

foodfight posted:

Is anyone getting the Ninja III blu-ray? I watched the beginning of it on youtube and I can't see how the rest of that movie can maintain how nuts it is. Is this a blind buy?

I have my copy preordered, you should definitely buy it, it gets much crazier as the movie goes on. Plus, Scream Factory are truly doing the lord's work with their Criterion Collection-like line of trash cinema Blu-rays.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

King Vidor's 1925 silent The Big Parade is coming on Oct 1.

The Blu-Ray is a 64 page digibook with notes by Kevin Brownlow (!) and both the Blu and DVD editions have a commentary by Jeffrey Vance (with archival comments by King Vidor apparently), The Men Who Made the Movies: King Vidor documentary, and a 1925 studio tour short. No specifics on the restoration, but it should be the restoration of the 1925 cut from the rediscovered camera negative with an orchestral score by Carl Davis.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

ultraviolence123 posted:

I have my copy preordered, you should definitely buy it, it gets much crazier as the movie goes on. Plus, Scream Factory are truly doing the lord's work with their Criterion Collection-like line of trash cinema Blu-rays.

Lol I'm watching it now and it's basically a werewolf movie.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Mel Brooks Collection - $23.99 ($2.66 a movie)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007LNBS2I...C433JEK3MC2H54H

Blazing Saddles
High Anxiety
History of the World: Part I
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Silent Movie
Spaceballs
To Be or Not to Be
Twelve Chairs
Young Frankenstein

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I just ordered the Damaijin 3-film Blu-Ray set from Amazon - just $9.99.

I had a little wind-up Damaijin toy as a kid, so it's a nostalgia thing for me, but this price is pretty awesome.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Red posted:

I just ordered the Damaijin 3-film Blu-Ray set from Amazon - just $9.99.

I had a little wind-up Damaijin toy as a kid, so it's a nostalgia thing for me, but this price is pretty awesome.

Funny, I'm getting my Daimajin set in the mail today. I'm a giant monster fan, but I've never seen them before. I'll post how they look after I watch them tonight/tomorrow. Mill Creek can make good Blu-ray discs when they want too!

I had a question for you guys also. Is buying from Amazon Uk as easy as it sounds? just make an account with it like you would for the US site pretty much?

I'm thinking of getting the UK edition of the Universal Monster set because I didn't get money in time to order the sale Amazon had and the US version is up to 100 bucks again where the UK edition is around 50.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Personperson14 posted:

I had a question for you guys also. Is buying from Amazon Uk as easy as it sounds? just make an account with it like you would for the US site pretty much?

That's it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Personperson14 posted:

I've used it several times for releases that are cheaper in the UK (Back to the Future), or for those that just don't exist in the US (Payback theatrical cut). The shipping costs/times are just fine for a country that's overseas.

Just be sure to check that the disc is region free. Then check again.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Thanks for the help. I'll try ordering tomorrow.

Also Pal isn't a thing for Blu-Ray stuff right?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Personperson14 posted:

Nope!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Personperson14 posted:

Just be careful of region coding if you buy anything else. Warner and Universal are pretty safe but anything else, check Blu-Ray.com to see if anybody confirmed it region free.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Isn't amazon UK incredibly easy as you can log in with your USA amazon account?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Personperson14 posted:

Kind of. Rather than having a mess of different resolutions and pixel aspect ratios, we all use 720p/1080p etc which is great. However, for some reason that nobody has been able to explain to me (but I expect it's due to some idiotic sense of backwards compatibility that I'm sure isn't needed) while we both share 1080/24p for film, you guys use 1080/60 for video and we use the pointless and stupid 1080/50. Like always, our 50hz gear is fine with playing back 60hz material but US gear has a tendency to freeze on 50hz video. This is a problem if UK/Euro/Aus centric labels render their menus out to 1080/50, which means you might not be able to get to the film itself.

Best to check individual releases, or hope you don't have gear that's susceptible to this anyway.

Ineffiable posted:

Isn't amazon UK incredibly easy as you can log in with your USA amazon account?

I can log into Amazon US with my UK account and I've ordered with no problems so I'm guessing the backend is universal these days. It used to be a bit trickier I'm sure.

Here's a handy hint that I'm sure tons of people know and use already - if you change the .com to .co.uk (and vice versa I expect) when viewing a product on Amazon, it'll bring up the same product on the UK store if you want to do a price comparison. Try it with the Mel Brooks set above, although it's 2x the price in the UK. Obviously it'll only work if both stores carry the item, but it can be really useful.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

The pHo posted:

Kind of. Rather than having a mess of different resolutions and pixel aspect ratios, we all use 720p/1080p etc which is great. However, for some reason that nobody has been able to explain to me (but I expect it's due to some idiotic sense of backwards compatibility that I'm sure isn't needed) while we both share 1080/24p for film, you guys use 1080/60 for video and we use the pointless and stupid 1080/50. Like always, our 50hz gear is fine with playing back 60hz material but US gear has a tendency to freeze on 50hz video. This is a problem if UK/Euro/Aus centric labels render their menus out to 1080/50, which means you might not be able to get to the film itself.

Best to check individual releases, or hope you don't have gear that's susceptible to this anyway.
There are also occasionally times where even if the Blu-ray is region-free and the movie plays just fine, the special feature videos were directly carried over from the PAL DVD and therefore are unplayable on a US player.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The pHo posted:

Huh. I thought this was an issue that only affected discs, not individual files on a disc.

I have the UK Steelbook of Captain America, and the Blu-Ray plays effortlessly, but the packaged-in DVD is basically a coaster. I was likely never going to use the DVD anyway, so who cares?

But, say, if my UK Blu-Ray of Payback has some chapters that have deleted scenes, interviews, or trailers in PAL format, my BD player might freeze up? See, I thought the transfer of files to the BD format would be PAL format free, and thus remove any possible conflict.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The only issue comes to gift cards and gift card balances - they're not transferable between the sites. Also, Amazon won't price-match against their international sites.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Shout! Factory is releasing Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie on Sept. 3.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Egbert Souse posted:

Shout! Factory is releasing Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie on Sept. 3.

The UK one is pretty great but it's completely lacking in extras.

Reinstate the deleted footage, Shout!, and I'll buy it again.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Twin Cinema posted:

This is awesome news. I bought Pieces on DVD a few years ago for a ridiculous price, but I am more than happy to spend the money upgrading to BR. Also, can't wait for PoD.

This is really weird. I rented Pieces on VHS when I was sixteen or seventeen because I have this thing where I compulsively rent strange-looking horror movies because I have kind of a fascination with them. I rented it from a local mom and pop video store that has long since been blasted off the map by Netflix and Redbox and I have never ever seen anyone refer to that movie until this thread. It's just weird that it's apparently some kind of horror classic whereas I thought I was one of an extremely small number of people who had even heard of it. One of my best friends (who I met long after renting this movie) has a similar bad horror fixation to mine and even he hadn't heard of it.

It's been a long time but the only thing I remember is that the special effects looked like poo poo even on VHS and even among other horror movies from the time period. Special effects technology back then wasn't great but even given that, Pieces just kind of stood out to me. I specifically remember going, "oh, look; it's a mannequin's head!" at one point.

Now I'm really loving curious about the blu-ray. If it's cheap I may have to pick it up.

ApexAftermath posted:

I ended up grabbing this from Amazon for $8 a couple of weeks ago thanks to the blu-ray deals in the Coupons subforum. I'd keep an eye on that thread to see if it goes that low again.

Edit: It's actually $8 on Amazon right now. Great price.

...! fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 8, 2013

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Red posted:

Huh. I thought this was an issue that only affected discs, not individual files on a disc.

I have the UK Steelbook of Captain America, and the Blu-Ray plays effortlessly, but the packaged-in DVD is basically a coaster. I was likely never going to use the DVD anyway, so who cares?

But, say, if my UK Blu-Ray of Payback has some chapters that have deleted scenes, interviews, or trailers in PAL format, my BD player might freeze up? See, I thought the transfer of files to the BD format would be PAL format free, and thus remove any possible conflict.

Right, different titles on a single disc can have different video formats allowed, which is how some discs have special features in SD for example. PAL is kind of a misnomer in any case as there isn't anything to do with the color encoding and for HD content the resolution is identical, the frame rate is just 50Hz instead of 60Hz.

As for whether it'll freeze it's down to the specific player. A US PS3 will skip any 50Hz video instead of freezing, for example.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Doesn't some of that have to do with why blu-ray releases of British shows are 1080i? Something about how British TVs can't do 1080p? Someone said that in practice watching a blu-ray of a British show at 1080i on an American TV is identical to watching a 1080p blu-ray but I don't understand how that's possible.

I probably have some or all of that wrong but I'd like to understand it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Haunting - Oct. 15 :spooky:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

...! posted:

Doesn't some of that have to do with why blu-ray releases of British shows are 1080i? Something about how British TVs can't do 1080p? Someone said that in practice watching a blu-ray of a British show at 1080i on an American TV is identical to watching a 1080p blu-ray but I don't understand how that's possible.

I probably have some or all of that wrong but I'd like to understand it.

Blu-ray only supports 1080p at 24 fps, so that's why shows shot at 25 or 50 fps have to use either 1080i or 720p on Blu-ray unless you slow them down to 24 fps (I don't know if they ever do that).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Skyfall - $12

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007REV4YI...4G1G8XC6J2T65PC

A Good Day To Die Hard - $13

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUADSMQ...H6J4ATD0JMHYZXX

Django Unchained - $13

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LAIIKI...5P6NQTEG8YRPWZH

If somebody wants to sell me their Django Ultraviolet code for cheap, PM me.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Will Blu-Ray.com or some other site email you when a film is announced for Blu-Ray release? Amazon.com will do some, but I'd like something more extensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like Enter The Dragon has finally received a proper remaster.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Enter-the-Dragon-Blu-ray/57334/#Review

• Locked thread