Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Dear god the Supply Limits in parts of Finland. :stare:

Also:

The Umayad Kingdom owns Southern France, Genoa, most of Iberia, Morocco and all of Mali. I don't know what will be the most destructive when activated: Crusades or Jihad.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Annath posted:

code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\crusader kings ii\decisions
Now edit "sucession_laws.txt"

and find the bit that says "true cognatic", or just ctrl-f "basque" and remove the "culture=basque" bit.

That worked! :dance:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Pyromancer posted:

If you have a barony free you can do it differently and much faster:
get claimant into court and go to war for pressing his claim,
when you're about to make peace grant him the barony then he gains a county but stays in your realm
you can now plot to revoke barony as it is outside his primary title
when plot goes through you usually go to war with him, beat him down and revoke both county and barony
repeat with other claimant

You'd get hit with tyranny opinion and prestige penalties for revocation if your crown authority is autonomous vassals though.

How do plots work? And for crown authority, do you have to be King of Ireland, or does petty king of Meath work?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Flippycunt posted:

Yeah man, I don't know. I'm just glad my mod is relatively simple in terms of files, otherwise I'd probably be tearing my hair out too.

Huh, you know, I wonder if it has something to do with the new presence of holy sites for all non-Christian/Muslim religions? My mod has a bunch of new religions that don't have holy sites yet-- maybe they're considered "pagan" and require them now?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

DrSunshine posted:

Huh, you know, I wonder if it has something to do with the new presence of holy sites for all non-Christian/Muslim religions? My mod has a bunch of new religions that don't have holy sites yet-- maybe they're considered "pagan" and require them now?

Don't Christians and Muslims have holy sites too? I know Koln and Jerusalem are holy sites for Catholicism. Maybe they're just required for everyone.

LowellDND posted:

How do plots work? And for crown authority, do you have to be King of Ireland, or does petty king of Meath work?

If you're looking at a character's page, to the left of their portrait should be a little Intrigue icon (the dagger + envelope). Note that it won't be there if you have a different plot running already. Click that, and it should bring up the option to plot to kill them. This starts a plot on your intrigue page, where you can start inviting people to your little conspiracy. You want to amp up your plot strength (%) as much as possible. Once it's high enough, plot members will start coming up with far-fetched schemes to kill the character. Each attempt has a chance to fail and a chance to reveal your complicity in the plot, but these get smaller as your plot power grows.

As for crown authority, you have to be a true king to change it. Petty kings can't. So yeah, you'll need to conquer Ireland first.

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 2, 2013

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Nolanar posted:

Don't Christians and Muslims have holy sites too? I know Koln and Jerusalem are holy sites for Catholicism. Maybe they're just required for everyone.

If you're looking at a character's page, to the left of their portrait should be a little Intrigue icon (the dagger + envelope). Note that it won't be there if you have a different plot running already. Click that, and it should bring up the option to plot to kill them. This starts a plot on your intrigue page, where you can start inviting people to your little conspiracy. You want to amp up your plot strength (%) as much as possible. Once it's high enough, plot members will start coming up with far-fetched schemes to kill the character. Each attempt has a chance to fail and a chance to reveal your complicity in the plot, but these get smaller as your plot power grows.

As for crown authority, you have to be a true king to change it. Petty kings can't. So yeah, you'll need to conquer Ireland first.

I get the feeling there is a whole other game after Ireland...

Should be fun. I think Ill get Ireland either tonight or tomorrow, and then I'll have lots of new questions.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
My (Irish) Emperor of Britannia just married the eldest daughter of the Golden Horde's Khagan. So that's the two largest empires, allied. With the HRE stuck in the middle. Lucky them.

e: Forgot to mention, my previous character married off his daughter to the son of the Ilkhanate. So I'm actually allied with both of the Hordes. Fun.

Now my question is, if my character and his new Mongol wife have a son, how far down the line of succession will he be for the Horde? The Khagan has two sons, and three younger brothers. Will I need to break out the stabbing kit and shorten the tree a lot?

Captain Trips fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 2, 2013

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
How do I play the Game of Thrones mod? The latest patch for CK2 doesn't go with the current version of the mod. Is there a way to roll back the CK2 version?

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

jerichojx posted:

How do I play the Game of Thrones mod? The latest patch for CK2 doesn't go with the current version of the mod. Is there a way to roll back the CK2 version?

Go to your Steam library, right click CKII and choose properties. Select the Beta tab and choose the 1.09 patch. The game will update and you'll be golden.

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism

jerichojx posted:

If you right-click on the game in steam and select properties and then betas you can roll it back by choosing 1_09X from the dropdown menu.

e:fb

a very nice paella fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 2, 2013

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Flippycunt posted:

Because it promotes blobbing.

If you have 3000 men and your liege has 5000 men and you want to become independent you're one mercenary band away from evening up the odds. But if you have 10,000 men and he has 17,000 men suddenly its a lot harder. I was seeing end game where one holding could raise like 3,000 men, multiplied by the number of holding and suddenly being even slightly bigger than your neighbor gives you enough troops to swing wars. Thus the bigger guys constant conquer all their neighbors, throwing off the balance further.

Yeah man, I don't know. I'm just glad my mod is relatively simple in terms of files, otherwise I'd probably be tearing my hair out too.

Any ETA on a new Better Armies, or are you waiting for CK+ to update? This has been irking me as well. Army sizes are ridiculous.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Flippycunt posted:

Because it promotes blobbing.

You say "blobbing" like it's a bad thing.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Captain Trips posted:

You say "blobbing" like it's a bad thing.

That would probably be because it is a bad thing.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I have learnt to stop worrying about pretty borders. Weird peninsulas and islands of norsedom in the middle of Europe just means I have more border territories as valid targets for raids! :black101:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SkySteak posted:

Dear god the Supply Limits in parts of Finland. :stare:

most of that is the defensive pagan 'bonus'

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Since people are all revved up about TOG and vikings, I thought I might as well throw in a recommendation for The Long Ships. It's a fantastic historical fiction yarn set in the 10th century that follows the various voyages and adventures around Scandinavia and the Mediterranean of an unreasonably lucky Viking raider named Red Orm. It's loaded with delicious historical detail, a dry sense of norse humor, and references to historical events and playable CK2 personages like the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok and Harald the Fairhaired. It's a wonderfully fun read, and if you're craving a contextualized sense of the European world around 867-1066 it's hard to do better.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Is it possible to challenge people to duels or is that just a random event that happens sometimes?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Is there a way to check other religions moral authority without tagging over to one of their characters?

Also, I decided to play as Zoastrians, after getting my poo poo kicked it a few times I decided to give myself a head start with some super stats, and I gave him a load of health just so I wouldn't get hosed over from him dying of the plague or something too early. He's now 112 year old maimed and stressed with his (many, I also bumped up his fertility) grandsons starting to die of old age, it didn't occur to me it would also effect his general longevity. I thought dying of old age was a separate mechanic, but I guess it's tied to health. Is there a way I can kill him off? |Because It's starting to get stupidly easy, having an immortal god king rule for 100 years pretty much makes your country go through a scientific revolution with the way tech now works.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fuligin posted:

Since people are all revved up about TOG and vikings, I thought I might as well throw in a recommendation for The Long Ships. It's a fantastic historical fiction yarn set in the 10th century that follows the various voyages and adventures around Scandinavia and the Mediterranean of an unreasonably lucky Viking raider named Red Orm. It's loaded with delicious historical detail, a dry sense of norse humor, and references to historical events and playable CK2 personages like the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok and Harald the Fairhaired. It's a wonderfully fun read, and if you're craving a contextualized sense of the European world around 867-1066 it's hard to do better.

Also there is a tv show called Vikings about Ragnar Lodbrok which is pretty good.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

AdjectiveNoun posted:

That would probably be because it is a bad thing.

This is a game set in one of the most violent periods of conquest in human history. And you're telling me the point of the game isn't to expand your empire as much as possible?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Captain Trips posted:

This is a game set in one of the most violent periods of conquest in human history. And you're telling me the point of the game isn't to expand your empire as much as possible?

Not really. While there is a score, nobody really pays any attention to it. The point of the game is whatever you like it to be. And world conquest games are boring.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Captain Trips posted:

He's saying that AI blobbing is silly because you'll just have the HRE conquer all its neighbours every single game with little chance of variation. Seeing as this is a Paradox game, the crazy poo poo that can go on is half of the appeal.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Saith posted:

He's saying that AI blobbing is silly because you'll just have the HRE conquer all its neighbours every single game with little chance of variation. Seeing as this is a Paradox game, the crazy poo poo that can go on is half of the appeal.

The HRE blobbing and conquering it's neighbours is pretty accurate to the TOG start date actually.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Captain Trips posted:

This is a dynasty game, not Medieval: Total War III. Gigantic blobbing isn't fun or really even a 'win' condition.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

NewtGoongrich posted:

The HRE blobbing and conquering it's neighbours is pretty accurate to the TOG start date actually.

And Aztecs didn't invade Europe, what's your point?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Captain Trips posted:

That's kind of the point though, the expansion should come at the cost of stability, as it is once an empire reaches a certain size they become extremely resilient. Even rebellions tend to be over a change of leadership rather than independence which changes things very little in the grand scheme of things.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NewtGoongrich posted:

But they're talking about the fact that by the end of the game armies are running into the hundreds of thousands making large empires unstoppable and their rulers near invulnerable because they begin to dwarf their vassals' and neighbours' levies by orders of magnitude rather than just a few thousand.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Captain Trips posted:

Now my question is, if my character and his new Mongol wife have a son, how far down the line of succession will he be for the Horde?

I finally got a son, and started stabbing Mongols.

The game generates a new heir every time the old one dies. You can never transfer leadership of the horde outside the Khagan's family. Lame.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Saith posted:

And Aztecs didn't invade Europe, what's your point?

Certain countries should blob more often than not, if it is historical for them to do so. The Aztecs invading is an intentionally silly DLC. It's still a history based game.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Like evil roots shooting down from the north, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and even Finland are digging their fingers deep down into Europe. It's only 920 :psyduck:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

Any ETA on a new Better Armies, or are you waiting for CK+ to update? This has been irking me as well. Army sizes are ridiculous.

The vanilla version is almost ready, but the CK2+ version I've gotta wait for Wiz.

Saith posted:

I'm saying is that once these super countries get to a certain size they become unstoppable and they eat the entire map. When you can count the number of major countries left on one hand trust me, its really boring.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm starting to think Vikings shouldn't be able to hire mercs. It was far too easy to beat up all the scandinavian petty kings and reform the norse faith in my first ruler's lifetime, and he started as a one castle nobody in western sweden. All I had to do was raid for a few years and I could afford enough mercs to go from count to a king who rules most of scandinavia. Though the overpowered 'become king' ambition certainly helped as well.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

marktheando posted:

I'm starting to think Vikings shouldn't be able to hire mercs. It was far too easy to beat up all the scandinavian petty kings and reform the norse faith in my first ruler's lifetime, and he started as a one castle nobody in western sweden. All I had to do was raid for a few years and I could afford enough mercs to go from count to a king who rules most of scandinavia. Though the overpowered 'become king' ambition certainly helped as well.

Raiding, in general, needs to be nerfed to hell.

Like I'm sure Vikings became very rich through raiding but I should not be able to earn a hundred times the amount of the mightiest emperors of the world as a norse duke.

I think I might avoid playing Norse characters until I find a mod that balances it out. Pity CK2+ isn't out as well because Islamic decadence in normal CK2 is still odd and weird.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Rejected Fate posted:

I think I might avoid playing Norse characters until I find a mod that balances it out. Pity CK2+ isn't out as well because Islamic decadence in normal CK2 is still odd and weird.
For better or for worse, it appears that decadence invasions were broken in the 1.10 patch. So muslim dynasties get to 100% decadence and suffer the mechanical effects of it, but not the plot effects, as it were.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shorter Than Some posted:

Is there a way to check other religions moral authority without tagging over to one of their characters?

There is. Under the mini-map is a line of "information finding" tools. The second from the left is "Ledger". Open it and push the "next" button until you are on page 4 "Religions". You will see the different Religions, their religious head (if they have one), the moral authority and the number of counties following the religion.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Huh, I just discovered that there are FOUR options for changing succession laws! Ultimogeniture is a pretty awesome-sounding word, and might let me spare a couple generations worth of elder sons.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Rejected Fate posted:

Raiding, in general, needs to be nerfed to hell.

Like I'm sure Vikings became very rich through raiding but I should not be able to earn a hundred times the amount of the mightiest emperors of the world as a norse duke.

Yeah, raiding seems fairly balanced when it's just grabbing unprotected loot but when you can easily assault the holdings you end up with raiding parties bringing back thousands of gold and suddenly you can do something like build 3-4 castles/cities EVERY time your ships come back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

NewtGoongrich posted:

Certain countries should blob more often than not, if it is historical for them to do so. The Aztecs invading is an intentionally silly DLC. It's still a history based game.

Ideally the game should be about fun first, accuracy second. Consistent Blobs tend to be rather unfun.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

jpmeyer posted:

Yeah, raiding seems fairly balanced when it's just grabbing unprotected loot but when you can easily assault the holdings you end up with raiding parties bringing back thousands of gold and suddenly you can do something like build 3-4 castles/cities EVERY time your ships come back.

Also I'm pretty sure that the entire Catholic world wouldn't just sit around if a bunch of pagans were trying to burn the Pope's house down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Also the cost/benefit relationship between over a thousand gold and having to let your levies reraise for 6 months. Even if raiding meant you lost your army half the time it would still be insanely profitable.

• Locked thread