Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Welp, I'm consistently off 4s from one guy who sets FTD pretty often. After the sway bar change out I was 1s slower than him. It was pretty weird to drive, normally it would be very finicky to inputs but with the smaller bar you can just bury the nose and you know the rear is going to stick and the car will keep in line. You can still throttle rotate it though. It's.... wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
After seeing that a lot of you guys run gopro/external camera setups during autoX, I'm wondering if I can get some help/tips to point me in the right direction. What are you guys doing to reduce wind noise while filming your runs?

I'm running a gopro hero, and two hero 3s, both with the closed backs, along with a bit of baffling glued onto the cameras; the wind noise from my chase/rear cameras is absolutely terrible, leaving me to postprocess most of it out, and the front not too bad, but I'd appreciate any tips!

Here's a video with audio fed from the front mounted camera for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvL3X5mE7OQ

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

McSpatula posted:

After seeing that a lot of you guys run gopro/external camera setups during autoX, I'm wondering if I can get some help/tips to point me in the right direction. What are you guys doing to reduce wind noise while filming your runs?

I'm running a gopro hero, and two hero 3s, both with the closed backs, along with a bit of baffling glued onto the cameras; the wind noise from my chase/rear cameras is absolutely terrible, leaving me to postprocess most of it out, and the front not too bad, but I'd appreciate any tips!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvL3X5mE7OQ

I know a few guys who have modded Hero2s or use the Hero3s with a remote mic for sound. Throw one in the engine bay for gnarly intake/turbo tunes.

Also, I was distracted for most of the video because they weren't synced :(

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Yea remote mics work pretty well. You can also try using a high density foam to cover the mic of the externals, it can help quite a bit but its never fully gotten rid of the wind noise for me.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

McSpatula posted:

Here's a video with audio fed from a mic near the exhaust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D3wCCs4Wzc&t=255s

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Brigdh posted:

For those who don't want to follow the link, Hankook has relabeled the RS-3 as a 200 TW tire (used to be 140) because it actually was a 200 TW tire (Tire Rack is backing up this claim with experimental testing), and labeling it at 200 now lets it meet various racing organizations regulations (SCCA Solo was not explicitly mentioned). While labeling a 200 TW tire as 140 is not really illegal, the timing coincidence of the change to 200 seems odd.

I was always under the impression that treadwear ratings were 90% marketing and 10% actual science.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

clutchpuck posted:

I was always under the impression that treadwear ratings were 90% marketing and 10% actual science.

Meh, depends on your viewpoint I guess.

In unrelated "news", the May Fastrack is out, with the next iteration of the Street proposal. If you've seen any of the discussion on various other forums, the deltas introduced in this proposal are probably not a surprise.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Pics from the Mohawk-Hudson SCCA solo event in Albany, NY over the past weekend. I did well considering I had Chinese all seasons - a 31.9, best times of the day were 28.3 in an S2000 and a brand new Focus ST with r-comps. Did 8 runs and improved every time and didn't hit a single cone! This car is SO much more fun than my old 330Ci.

My car is the beat up black NA Miata, and yes, I was so tired when I got there I taped on a '2' backwards, I don't even...

Some pretty cool cars showed up, a 1M, Z4M clownshoe, Exige, and a Saab Sonnet with a Hayabusa engine which sounded absolutely insane - although he was just spectating.

Sorry for the blurry pics, I wasn't using the autofocus correctly on my Lumia 920...

Voltage fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 23, 2013

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
This weekend was the first autocross of the year and 53 people showed up.
I got my first FTD and I won on PAX as well. It was my first autox with my ASP STi on RS3's. I had some stiff competition with another ASP STi on E85 and running on brand new V710s. There was also a awesome Datsun 510 with a ecotec in it that was fast. A couple of people managed to take pictures of me three wheeling too!

All my passes were clean and cone free as well.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Thought about signing up for the first autox of this season this Saturday, but then remembered I still need to get an alignment and the guy I want to go to will probably be swamped with customers making adjustments beforehand. Also, there's over a hundred participants registered already. No thanks.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

MiniFoo posted:

Thought about signing up for the first autox of this season this Saturday, but then remembered I still need to get an alignment and the guy I want to go to will probably be swamped with customers making adjustments beforehand. Also, there's over a hundred participants registered already. No thanks.

Is it with MAC? They always seem to have big numbers.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

G-Mach posted:

Is it with MAC? They always seem to have big numbers.

Yup, and especially since it's at Valleyfair, which they only get to use once a season. Not only that, but they offered a deal where you can save :10bux: by signing up for Saturday and Sunday.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MiniFoo posted:

MAC will be full early on and they run such a good event you won't notice. MAC runs better events than any SCCA I've been with since moving out west.
Valleyfair events are really good, though the pavement was kind of iffy when I was in MN. Way different than any other events except the ones at that horse track, I'd really recommend if you can get a slot.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I did Valleyfair last year and it was really fun. The pavement is really crumbly and does a number on your tires, though. Anyway, the weekend looks like a washout and barely 40 degrees, so I'm glad I opted out.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Crappy weather and mediocre driving in high def!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mzFCYUHqlc

My 2nd fastest run. For my fastest run I stuck the camera on the driver's door to get a view of the front wheel, but the lens got covered in water. This was my first event of the year and my first event with my e36 M3. I impulse-bought a GoPro yesterday as well.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MiniFoo posted:

I did Valleyfair last year and it was really fun. The pavement is really crumbly and does a number on your tires, though. Anyway, the weekend looks like a washout and barely 40 degrees, so I'm glad I opted out.
They still haven't repaved that lot? Must be verging on rally cross.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
What tire pressures do people usually run in the Z1 star specs? They seem to have the best grip with low 30psi hot but they're a bit imprecise for my liking at those pressures. I had them up at like 44psi hot while dicking around with setup and the feel was nice but they seemed to be dropping off in terms of absolute grip.

Also someone threw numbers on a tesla model s and did a run with it. I almost got hit by it because I didn't hear anything coming while resetting cones and was being pretty laxl getting to the cone.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 19, 2013

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I tend to run 38 cold, which tends to translate to 41-42 hot. I don't notice better grip at lower pressures, as I tend to get too much rollover in the sidewall at lower pressures. Most miata's on star specs tend to run around there from what I've heard.

I am getting rivals put on tomorrow, can't wait.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Muffinpox posted:

What tire pressures do people usually run in the Z1 star specs? They seem to have the best grip with low 30psi hot but they're a bit imprecise for my liking at those pressures. I had them up at like 44psi hot while dicking around with setup and the feel was nice but they seemed to be dropping off in terms of absolute grip.

I ran them fairly high (for my car/experience). I think around 38-40 hot if I remember right, but it's been a few years since I've run them. This is in an E36 M3, so depending on the weight of your car, this could be quite a bit different.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Finally got around to editing my videos from last weekend.

The usual local event on a cramped lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruajuY1MvCo

The very next day, getting hailed (yes hail) on at a regional event on an oval.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr3q1myNvG0

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Saturday was cool, 50 degrees, tons of rain, and fave hunnert harsepoweah. I also feel pretty good as someone had to cheat to beat me in the Corvette street tire class by running a STR miata on slicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYUpeRaWfx4

That run was a 81.311 + 1 cone, I almost managed to bang out an FTD run in the rainiest part of the day until I went for a 540 degree spin and ended up only clocking an 86.911 :(

Also, surprisingly this didn't end in forcible removal again:

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 28, 2013

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I took my F500 out yesterday in the rain, on slicks. It was pretty slow going since I couldn't steer or use more than half throttle. I did manage to get some video on my new JVC Adixxion. The sound is pretty bad, I'll try the tape over the mic trick next weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC9vjWzKarY

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

NinjaTech posted:

I took my F500 out yesterday in the rain, on slicks.

Yikes, should have brought a jetski instead!

If anyone is interested in autocross this sunday 6/2, there is an event in Albany, NY

https://www.mohud-scca.com

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Tape over the mic might help but that sounds like most low frequencies that are overloading it - a shock absorbing mount for the camera might do more good in that case. If the mic has any gain or sensitivity settings (this is very iffy) try cranking those down as well.

Did you shoot at 60fps? If so does it look better than what we see on Youtube?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I shot at 60fps but forgot to make sure that the stabilization was turned on. It was the first time I've used the camera. I'll try to put some rubber between the rollbar and the mount next time. The expansion pipe exhaust is also about 6" behind the camera, so it might always sound like poo poo. The car doesn't really sound cool anyways since it's a 2stroke with a CVT from a snowmobile.

mdk
Oct 5, 2003
mdk

G-Mach posted:

This weekend was the first autocross of the year and 53 people showed up.
I got my first FTD and I won on PAX as well. It was my first autox with my ASP STi on RS3's. I had some stiff competition with another ASP STi on E85 and running on brand new V710s. There was also a awesome Datsun 510 with a ecotec in it that was fast. A couple of people managed to take pictures of me three wheeling too!

All my passes were clean and cone free as well.

Hey, I was at this event (with the blue Z), that was a fun track.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

mdk posted:

Hey, I was at this event (with the blue Z), that was a fun track.

I saw you there. Are you going to show up for the next FVSCC event that's at Shawano USAIR on June 8th?

mdk
Oct 5, 2003
mdk

G-Mach posted:

I saw you there. Are you going to show up for the next FVSCC event that's at Shawano USAIR on June 8th?

Assuming its dry, I have a brand new set of rs3's to tear up :getin:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

First autoX of the year yesterday... Great time. FTD was somewhere around 95 seconds, I had a 104.2 as my fastest run, which included a cone. The course included a number of third gear sections, which I definitely wasn't used to - I need to work on finding third not 5th. Forgot my GoPro, so unfortunately no video.

My biggest problem of the day was consistency - I couldn't find any.

I was running Rivals - my thoughts are:
-Lots of communication from the tire as you approach the limit. Makes it a lot easier to control the car at the limit.
-Easier to recover when you do exceed the limit, compared to Z1 Star Specs
-Way less pressure required than Z1's, I wound up at 32 PSI cold. Z1's were 39 PSI cold (I'm running 205/50's on the stock 6" wide wheel)
-Excellent heat capacity - with the star specs I could overheat the tire if I spun, or slid the back around a lot, and the tire would be really greasy for the remainder of the run. The Rivals didn't overheat on a much longer course than I'm used to, even with the two sections in a row I went through sideways. The star specs would definitely have been greasy at that point.
-They're showing almost no wear. Picton is where tires go to die (WW2 airport, its asphalt only in the roughest sense of the word) and I was surprised by how little wear there was.
-They have more grip than the star specs, but less precision at the limit. The precision bit could be entirely the result of no tread left on the star specs vs full tread on the rivals though.

Oh, and the coned run was only a second behind Ziploc, and I barely nicked the cone... ;)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Was the fastest non-kart at yesterday's event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcQmjnhQmUM

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

FatCow posted:

Really quick Miata that was fun to watch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FatCow posted:

DQ for cheating. Your throttle goes to 101%.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

mdk posted:

Assuming its dry, I have a brand new set of rs3's to tear up :getin:

I really like the RS3s. They have taken my abuse very well and are priced pretty well compared to the ZII and the Rival. I've managed to get over 4+ hours worth of lapping days at three different tracks and a couple of Autox's out of them and they aren't to terribly worn. I'll be there for sure rain or shine and then possibly driving up to the UP for a UPSCCA Autox on sunday.

I managed a 1.13.07 for a timed flying lap earlier this spring at USAIR, so I'm pretty excited to see what the STi can do at a Autox there.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

FatCow posted:

That was some quality work! I take it the throttle/engine speed readout is a smartphone Bluetooth thing?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

That was some quality work! I take it the throttle/engine speed readout is a smartphone Bluetooth thing?

Megasplooge

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

The Locator posted:

DQ for cheating. Your throttle goes to 101%.

What's funny is when I calibrate it it doesn't. I just push the pedal that much harder during runs.

And yeah, the car runs Megasquirt so that data is straight from the ignition computer.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I went autocrossing again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjSZ8b6LltI

All the runs I recorded of other cars are here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH0SWxTSF_mbxyuIZZvljeogfuoiYK1tI

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Took my F mod out on saturday. I got 4th fastest time of day. My friend Bill got fastest time of day by more than 2 seconds. I was a little over 3 seconds behind him and he'd never driven the car before. He's been autocrossing a lot longer than me and ran the course in the AM session though. It was great to see what my car is capable of and to actually run it as fast as I was able to. I think I was braking too early at the turn arounds and maybe a couple other spots. Unfortunately my cameras battery wasn't cooperating so I didn't get any video. :suicide:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Took my first crack at rcomps. I'm not how much the new front sway added in terms of grip, but the tires made a ridiculous difference. I pulled 4 seconds on my STX mustang friend and we were usually a dead heat. Definitely need to get used to the sheer amount of grip I have now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UUKggbe-bQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I see you sliding the wheel in your hands.

PROTIP: Don't slide the wheel in your hands on corner exit. Corner exit is important.

• Locked thread