Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

plester1 posted:

I believe they have a paint named "Grey Primer" that isn't actually a primer, but is color matched to the actual Grey Primer.

Should have just called it Primer Grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahotep75
May 21, 2012

I'm just a wild and crazy kind of god.
Cross post from Oath Thread.

I'm a little disappointed in him. You cant see it in the pic, I think, but after the wash, I tried to highlight his robes some, and it came out looking like poo. I almost wanted to throw him in the trash, and then did the Hawk Turquoise on the Bronze, and man, does that little bit of color help. I tried doing the lens thing on the scope but it also looks like poo.

Oh well. Done is done.

Rahotep75 posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

AWWWW, A BABY!

DOUBLE THE FUN

DETEKTUV'S JOURNAL

PARTS LIST

Airbrush
Primer (Mr Sufacer 1200 + Mr Hobby Leveling Thinner)

Army Painter Warpaints
Crystal Blue
Daemonic Yellow
Weapon Bronze
Tanned Flesh
Pure Red
Dragon Red
Oak Brown
Monster Brown
Greenskin
Angel Green
Skeleton Bone
Matt Black
Shining Silver
Soft Tone Ink
Strong Tone Ink

Games Workshop
Hawk Turquoise
Yellow Wash
'Ardcoat
Dead Grass Static Grass

P3 Paints
Thamar Black
Ironhull Grey
Trollblood Highlight

Woodland Scenics
Scenic Cement
Fine/Medium Ballast
Soft Flake Snow
Water Effects

He's a conversion too, but I don't have a before pic, so I'll just save it for another time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I need to stop fruiting around and make duplicates/mods of my hirst molds. I'm guessing I want one of the products listed here: http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2_1113_1135/index.html

Thing is, I have no idea what's what. I want something as close to the original mold material as possible. Any ideas? I wonder if I emailed the hirst guy and just asked him what he used, he seems pretty chill about basically everything, he'd probably tell me exactly what the molds are made of.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Jcam posted:

Making some more progress on my Pathfinder team. I'm sort of on the fence on the color scheme, but it's sort of working so far I think. Gimme some criticism.

Do you think it'll work good once I start on the Crisis Suits and Broadsides? Or even tanks? Ugh.

This is pretty identical to the scheme I used on my IG. On infantry it looks good, but I painted up a sentinel and it all kinda blurred together.

I think you could make it work, either by adding some bold highlights, or breaking it up with another colour (almost pure white, maybe?) in some of the more common Tau markings.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Jcam posted:

Making some more progress on my Pathfinder team. I'm sort of on the fence on the color scheme, but it's sort of working so far I think. Gimme some criticism.

Do you think it'll work good once I start on the Crisis Suits and Broadsides? Or even tanks? Ugh.

The scheme works, but the khaki needs another wash and highlighting to match the green. As for vehicles and Crisis Suits I'd go with the green as the main colour broken up with the khaki and ,as the poster above wrote, pick a spot colour. White is good, but red would also work. The yellow you have now isn't "offensive" enough.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
I finished the Archangel today. I knew it was going to be rough, but I had no idea what I was in for. The level of detail on the model is incredible.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug

Red Shoe posted:

Archangel

Wow, that's really amazing, the shadows on the musculature are gorgeous - what is that model?

Also, question - I'm trying to figure out a nice way of painting clean-looking wraithbone on my Eldar and Dark Eldar. I really like the look that this guy achieves, but I'm still new and not sure how to go about replicating it. Would starting from white with a sepia wash work, then highlighting in a very light bone colour maybe?

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

PxiePip posted:

Wow, that's really amazing, the shadows on the musculature are gorgeous - what is that model?

Also, question - I'm trying to figure out a nice way of painting clean-looking wraithbone on my Eldar and Dark Eldar. I really like the look that this guy achieves, but I'm still new and not sure how to go about replicating it. Would starting from white with a sepia wash work, then highlighting in a very light bone colour maybe?

It's made by Privateer Press for the Hordes game. Here's a link.

That Eldar looks like an off-white (try Menoth White Highlight) shaded down to a light brown. You could probably wash sepia then highlight back to white for a similar effect. You will probably want to water the wash down some to make sure it doesn't get too dark in the crevasses.

Red Shoe fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 31, 2013

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Buffalo squeeze posted:

The scheme works, but the khaki needs another wash and highlighting to match the green. As for vehicles and Crisis Suits I'd go with the green as the main colour broken up with the khaki and ,as the poster above wrote, pick a spot colour. White is good, but red would also work. The yellow you have now isn't "offensive" enough.

I think I follow what you're saying. That's the Shas'ui in front, his other should is painted a pure white, would that work for what you mean? I did it that way to show he was the sergeant or whatever. Should I use the white (or even red) more on the model, maybe more markings on the kneepads or helmet or something?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

PxiePip posted:

You could probably use a sepia wash. I would start with a base of something like Bleached Bone though, it's the right sort of off-white-ness. Reaper actually makes a really nice color triad consisting of Stained Ivory+Yellowed Bone+Creamy Ivory that works nicely as a shade/base/highlight, although for that I would add an additional highlight of pure white in there.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Bad Munki posted:

I need to stop fruiting around and make duplicates/mods of my hirst molds. I'm guessing I want one of the products listed here: http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2_1113_1135/index.html

Thing is, I have no idea what's what. I want something as close to the original mold material as possible. Any ideas? I wonder if I emailed the hirst guy and just asked him what he used, he seems pretty chill about basically everything, he'd probably tell me exactly what the molds are made of.

He's using silicon rubber molds. I think this kind will be the closest you're gonna get. If you want a fairly cheap starter kit, there's this one off Amazon that comes with pretty much everything you're gonna need. I plan to purchase that one in the next couple days. I've got ideas for my own bases (that I hope to sell!) and this seems like the best bang for my buck.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug
Thanks guys! I'll take a look at Reaper paints at Dark Sphere and do some experimenting.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Red Shoe posted:

I finished the Archangel today. I knew it was going to be rough, but I had no idea what I was in for. The level of detail on the model is incredible.

Well I just loving caved and ordered mine, thanks dickhead! (that paintjob is amazing dude, holy cow. How have you done the skin?)

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Jcam posted:

I think I follow what you're saying. That's the Shas'ui in front, his other should is painted a pure white, would that work for what you mean? I did it that way to show he was the sergeant or whatever. Should I use the white (or even red) more on the model, maybe more markings on the kneepads or helmet or something?

A white shoulderpad works great (I use it on my IG, so I may be biased) and the markings you now have in yellow I'd do in red. This might make too many red details with the lenses, but you could do blue lenses instead. Honestly I think they look fine as is, it's just the khaki that looks a bit bland in the pictures.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Cross post of my completed plague marines. I have so much more to learn but I am happy with how they came out for babbys first non dip. I cant wait to see how I improve this year. Toward the end I definitly felt I was getting the hang of thining my paints better. At first it was either too thin or not thin enough but I think my wet palette will help a lot. Now its all about staying in the lines and edge highlighting better. Thanks Painting and modelling thread for the inspiration and techniques.

Here is a comparison shot from the 2011 Oath thread of some dipped Orks. I think I might actually be making progress!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Flipswitch posted:

Well I just loving caved and ordered mine, thanks dickhead! (that paintjob is amazing dude, holy cow. How have you done the skin?)

The skin is a basecoat of Frostbite washed with Skorne Red+Exile Blue, with a higher ratio of blue. It was then highlighted with a mix of Frostbite and the wash colors with increasing amounts of white added. Matte medium was used in all stages except the basecoat.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PxiePip posted:

Thanks guys! I'll take a look at Reaper paints at Dark Sphere and do some experimenting.

I'd suggest an oil wash. Use a base layer of Menoth White Highlight mixed with a warm colored brown. Wash acrylic sepia. Build up with increasing ratios of Menoth White Highlight to warm colored brown. Then wash with a very thinned down oil sepia.

Basically bone is like white. Its time consuming to paint. If you want to do an army I suggest trying the whole entire method once and then figuring out what steps you can take out and still have acceptable quality. That or get an airbrush.

e: Anybody tried white washing something? That might work great and be the fastest method:

Basically you prime zenithal, base coat brown (highlighted zenithaly with a a lighter warm brown), then wash it white. I've done this with a sepia wash instead of the brown and always wanted to use it for something. Its easy and looks really good.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 31, 2013

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Red Shoe posted:

The skin is a basecoat of Frostbite washed with Skorne Red+Exile Blue, with a higher ratio of blue. It was then highlighted with a mix of Frostbite and the wash colors with increasing amounts of white added. Matte medium was used in all stages except the basecoat.
Thanks. :) Haven't been sure how to approach painting my Everblight skin and this has nailed it for me.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

Pillbug

BULBASAUR posted:

I'd suggest an oil wash. Use a base layer of Menoth White Highlight mixed with a warm colored brown. Wash acrylic sepia. Build up with increasing ratios of Menoth White Highlight to warm colored brown. Then wash with a very thinned down oil sepia.

Basically bone is like white. Its time consuming to paint. If you want to do an army I suggest trying the whole entire method once and then figuring out what steps you can take out and still have acceptable quality. That or get an airbrush.

e: Anybody tried white washing something? That might work great and be the fastest method:

Basically you prime zenithal, base coat brown (highlighted zenithaly with a a lighter warm brown), then wash it white. I've done this with a sepia wash instead of the brown and always wanted to use it for something. Its easy and looks really good.

I actually do have an airbrush! So far I've only used it for basecoating though. Do you have a technique in mind for bone that would work well with one? Also, do you know of anywhere I can read about white washing? I've never heard of it and I'm having trouble finding what it means with regards to miniature painting.

ivy fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 31, 2013

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Just as an FYI I'm selling off everything I paint on ebay under my SA username.

When I've got more finished and sorted I'll start a proper Mart thread, but for now if someone wanted anything it would just be cool to sell a model to a goon. Get to see them used :3:

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Cross posting some pictures of a test model I oathed. I think he turned out alright - I wasn't a fan of the paint scheme that my roommate chose but I think this looks good.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Red Shoe posted:

Awesome job, I need to figure out what colors my Legion will be.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the Oath Thread: Hey, it's two of the guys from Space Hulk!

(Only slightly irritated that I spent so much time fiddling with the fonts on the base decals, only for them to turn out looking like Times New Roman.)
A few more images, poses, etc. in my gallery here, currently serving as a painful reminder that I really need to learn to take better photos: http://imgur.com/a/e4U2a

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here's some more warmans and hordemans I painted this month:

Croak Hunter

Epic Madrak

Lanyssa Ryssyl

Nyss Hunters

Skarlock Thrall

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011
Crossposting my Infinity dudes from the Oath thread.

These are the first models I've ever tried priming white. I'd have primed black and used a ridiculously bright basecoat if I'd know what a pain in the rear end it would be and how much it would make all those flaws stick out, but I went with it and challenged myself.

I tried to make the cloak on that Magister Knight (Iron Patriot) look like the star-spangled part of the American flag but my morning coffee made it look more like a polka dot dress. :bang:

I'm happy with these but I'd still like to do better and learn more. Is there anything obvious (other than photography) I should work on for next month's oath?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Aix Athanatos posted:

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE

Why, is that a bit of NMM on the sides of the Patriot's helmet? :allears: I'm also digging the OSL glow on the center figure's chest-light.
I'm willing to bet these guys look fantastic from tabletop level or closer. Plus, the mere concept made me snicker out loud when you first described it over in Oath.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bavius posted:

Cross posting some pictures of a test model I oathed. I think he turned out alright - I wasn't a fan of the paint scheme that my roommate chose but I think this looks good.

Interesting take on a metroid.

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Why, is that a bit of NMM on the sides of the Patriot's helmet? :allears: I'm also digging the OSL glow on the center figure's chest-light.
I'm willing to bet these guys look fantastic from tabletop level or closer. Plus, the mere concept made me snicker out loud when you first described it over in Oath.

No NMM, just Mithril Silver and Armour Wash. I need to actually learn blending before I can do NMM. And thanks, that glow is the one instance of it I actually nailed.

I liked your Space Hulk dudes, too. They'd make one hell of a colourful buddy cop movie.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PxiePip posted:

I actually do have an airbrush! So far I've only used it for basecoating though. Do you have a technique in mind for bone that would work well with one? Also, do you know of anywhere I can read about white washing? I've never heard of it and I'm having trouble finding what it means with regards to miniature painting.

Ha, that makes it much easier! White washing is just fancy wordage for using a white oil wash as you would a wash of any other color. Mechanically its identical, but its the opposite of what you expect from a normal wash since your effectively lightening an area instead of shading it. You use oil so you can come back and remove parts of it that get into your recessed shadows. Holding the model upside down helps.

Since the majority of your model is white you can use an airbrush to achieve quick highlights. Here's what I've done in the past. Thin layers is key:
  • Prime zenithaly (black from directly below, grey from all the sides, white from directly up top)
  • Wash sepia
  • Seal with gloss varnish
  • Oil wash a thinned down white
  • Remove oil wash from where it shouldn't be
  • Seal with matte varnish, paint as you would normally

I'd try that and see where it gets you. You could also:
  • Prime zenithaly (black from directly below, grey from all the sides, white from directly up top)
  • Basecoat light brown (like a brown grey, mix it with matte medium so its really thinned down)
  • Zenithaly highlight bone color (again, mix it with matte medium so its thin. Spray it from above the model)
  • Wash sepia

Both are about as quick. The trick to the first method is how thin you make the white wash and if gets you the effect you want after it dries (you might find that it looks drat good without the white wash). The trick to the second one is highlighting slightly lighter than you would want since your gona' take it down a notch with the sepia wash.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I'm joining the goon-ham Spring cleaning brigade. Do you need Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Baneblade bits, BFG stuff, or Warmaster? Then check out my SA mart thread.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Knocked out Eldrad just as the new release hit. Idk, I don't feel as thogh it's up to my usual quality, but that could just be shoddy photos. I also feel as though the helmet is kind of lacking. Any input?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

The green on his robes looks excellent, as does his sword. Did you airbrush it?

I think the black on his helmet could use a little more highlighting, it looks a little flat.

Also, when i paint gems, I like to add a little white dot towards the top to simulate reflected light, then hit them with a gloss varnish. It really makes them pop imo

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Guys I'm looking at getting a new airbrush, thinking either a Badger Krome, Badger velocity or a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Two In One.

Has anyone previously used these brushes and would you's recommend them?

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Hixson posted:

The green on his robes looks excellent, as does his sword. Did you airbrush it?

I think the black on his helmet could use a little more highlighting, it looks a little flat.

Also, when i paint gems, I like to add a little white dot towards the top to simulate reflected light, then hit them with a gloss varnish. It really makes them pop imo

Thanks, did the sword by hand.

I agree with the helmet, though I'm not sure what to do. Edge highlight or blending, and maybe do some of the bubbles into gems too or changing the faceplate colour?

As for the gems, good spot. I totally forgot I hadn't done the white spots, though I need to seal him before I gloss it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

gilljoy posted:

Guys I'm looking at getting a new airbrush, thinking either a Badger Krome, Badger velocity or a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Two In One.

Has anyone previously used these brushes and would you's recommend them?

I use the Renegade Krome, it's awesome and I love it. It's the same as the Sotar 20/20 but has a thicker handle, that's the only difference.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

krushgroove posted:

I use the Renegade Krome, it's awesome and I love it. It's the same as the Sotar 20/20 but has a thicker handle, that's the only difference.

Excelent, the only thing that puts me off the Krome is that it seems to be quite tricky to get a hold of spare parts over in the UK, and I'd be pissed if couldn't get a replacement needle if I bent it

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

gilljoy posted:

Excelent, the only thing that puts me off the Krome is that it seems to be quite tricky to get a hold of spare parts over in the UK, and I'd be pissed if couldn't get a replacement needle if I bent it

badger-airbrush.co.uk is the UK importer, I know the guy (will be working with him later this year) and while I don't know what their stock situation is I would think they have plenty of spares. Plus, I've been using the Krome since I started airbrushing properly, and haven't bent the needle. As long as you're reasonably careful you can't kill anything on the airbrush.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

krushgroove posted:

badger-airbrush.co.uk is the UK importer, I know the guy (will be working with him later this year) and while I don't know what their stock situation is I would think they have plenty of spares. Plus, I've been using the Krome since I started airbrushing properly, and haven't bent the needle. As long as you're reasonably careful you can't kill anything on the airbrush.

ahh brilliant,

Its a hard choice then

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

The little bit of yellow on the white base, combined with the shadow, make it look like he's riding a rocket powered slate and blasting off to battle :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Red Herring posted:

Thanks, did the sword by hand.

That's crazy. How'd you get it so smooth?

Also, re: input. The base seems unfinished. The rocks or whatever he's standing on need some paint on there to really tie the whole thing together, it's just generally off-putting IMO.

• Locked thread