Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Reading was always the logical terminal, everyone knew that. Curtailing it to Maidenhead reduces the cost slightly, can help you get the original plan approved and built , and makes it much easier to go 'well we might as well add on that last bit' at a later stage.

This happens all over the place with railways.

Anyway the metro option of Crossrail 2 makes a LOT more sense than the route to Alexandra Palace. It's funny how 40 years ago the Vic was built to help deal with overcrowding on that North-East/South-West axis, now we need a new line to deal with overcrowding on the Vic. I still feel the real priority is the Bakerloo going South-East, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The 'Metro' route is the one that only goes to Ally Pally. The 'Regional' route is the one with a second branch from Angel out to Hertfordshire.

Both of these names, and 'Crossrail 2' itself, are terrible and boring.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Cerv posted:

The 'Metro' route is the one that only goes to Ally Pally. The 'Regional' route is the one with a second branch from Angel out to Hertfordshire.

Both of these names, and 'Crossrail 2' itself, are terrible and boring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Railways

There's precedent though, in possibly the dullest BR branding exercise there was.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

sweek0 posted:

Reading was always the logical terminal, everyone knew that. Curtailing it to Maidenhead reduces the cost slightly, can help you get the original plan approved and built , and makes it much easier to go 'well we might as well add on that last bit' at a later stage.

This happens all over the place with railways.

To be honest, the cost of NOT going to Reading now by far out weighs the cost of going there. I should do a Crossrail megapost but it'll likely end up with the LX one in the to do pile forever

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Bozza posted:

To be honest, the cost of NOT going to Reading now by far out weighs the cost of going there. I should do a Crossrail megapost but it'll likely end up with the LX one in the to do pile forever

Crossrail is more interesting than level crossings so do that first

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

I do love this account, but it does mean that I read things like "Delays due to a person under a train at Streatham" on the Southern feed and think "how is that funny?"

Pretend it's a Tory?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Havent we been waiting about two years for the level crossing post at this point?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Zero Gravitas posted:

Havent we been waiting about two years for the level crossing post at this point?

Cmon bozza I want to know every detail about level crossings :mad:

Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012
Sorry I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread as I'm just getting started reading through it, but I noticed a howler in the OP that doesn't appear to have been corrected:

Bozza posted:

Labour, despite being elected on a promise to renationalise the British Railway network in 1997

That's not true. The 1997 Labour Manifesto committed them to reform of the rail regulator and a public private partnership on London Underground. The '97 manifesto was notable for lacking any mention at all of nationalisation. Previously the party was constitutionally bound to a programme of nationalisation, but Blair managed to change clause four of the Labour Party constitution and so it wasn't in the '97 manifesto.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

Cmon bozza I want to know every detail about level crossings :mad:

Doesnt everyone? :ohdear:

We were promised an effortpost on level crossings so goddamnit thats exactly what we're gonna get! :argh:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Zero Gravitas posted:

Doesnt everyone? :ohdear:

We were promised an effortpost on level crossings so goddamnit thats exactly what we're gonna get! :argh:

An one about crossrail now too :getin:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pretend it's a Tory?

Tories don't go to Streatham.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Bobstar posted:

Tories don't go to Streatham.

drat loving right. (I live in Streatham)

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Excuse me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyN05g1W2zQ
That will be all.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just read this entire thread and am still excited to hear about level crossings. I hope we get it by the time Crossrail makes it to Reading. :ohdear:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Meanwhile in Sweden, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22828150

quote:

Sweden male train drivers wear skirts after shorts row

A dozen male train drivers in Sweden have circumvented a ban on shorts by wearing skirts to work in hot weather.

The workers, who operate the Roslagsbanan line north of the capital Stockholm, have been wearing skirts to work for the past two weeks.

Employer Arriva banned the drivers from wearing shorts after taking over the running of the line in January.

But the company has given the men its blessing to wear skirts, according to local newspaper Mitti.

"Our thinking is that one should look decent and proper when representing Arriva and the present uniforms do that. If the man only wants [to wear] a skirt then that is OK," Arriva communications manager Tomas Hedenius told the paper.

"To tell them to do something else would be discrimination."

Driver Martin Akersten told the BBC he and his colleagues came up with the idea to wear skirts after they were informed of the new company dress code in the winter.

"We have always said that when summer comes, we will get some skirts and wear them. It's very warm weather here so we would like to wear shorts but if we can't then we have skirts for comfort".

The male drivers have chosen only to wear skirts on hot days, opting for trousers in cooler conditions.

"The passengers stare at us but so far no-one has said anything - well, not to me, anyway. And I don't mind as it's more about comfort," Mr Akersten adds.
:master:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
This is very much a Bozza question as he's in charge of the project (I believe) - what on earth are you doing at the end of Boyne Valley Road, the Wooton Way end - there've been two Network Rail white vans parked there during working hours on and off for the past few weeks, and I've been wondering why.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

ookiimarukochan posted:

This is very much a Bozza question as he's in charge of the project (I believe) - what on earth are you doing at the end of Boyne Valley Road, the Wooton Way end - there've been two Network Rail white vans parked there during working hours on and off for the past few weeks, and I've been wondering why.

I was in charge of the scheme design for the project, so can't pretend to be an expert in what is actually being delivered on site, but given the general location, they are probably out with the teams which are installing the new cable troughing route alongside the railway. Trough route is the grey concrete box stuff that houses all the signalling comms and power cables which you can see alongside the track at most locations.

You might have also noticed the big shiny new Network Rail portacabin city which has just appeared at the top of Silco Drive car park, which is where the Crossrail West Outer Track is being run/delivered from, and where I spend my days going to design integration meetings.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Bozza posted:

I was in charge of the scheme design for the project, so can't pretend to be an expert in what is actually being delivered on site, but given the general location, they are probably out with the teams which are installing the new cable troughing route alongside the railway. Trough route is the grey concrete box stuff that houses all the signalling comms and power cables which you can see alongside the track at most locations.

You might have also noticed the big shiny new Network Rail portacabin city which has just appeared at the top of Silco Drive car park, which is where the Crossrail West Outer Track is being run/delivered from, and where I spend my days going to design integration meetings.

Join the ranks of the portacabin dwellers!

Which reminds me: I noticed a rather huge portacabin block going up in the Tottenham Hale S&T facility over the last few weeks. It looked to be as big as everything else there put together.

On the subject of Crossrail, there seem to be a lot of busy people working on the old Connaught tunnel the last few weeks. I understand a chunk of the dock above the tunnel has been drained, as far as I can see from the bridge. The gangs up behind the Excel centre seem to be making plenty of noise as well, last few times I was round that way. As I recall there isn't going to be a particularly convenient station near LCY on Crossrail, unfortunately...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Brovine posted:

Join the ranks of the portacabin dwellers!

Which reminds me: I noticed a rather huge portacabin block going up in the Tottenham Hale S&T facility over the last few weeks. It looked to be as big as everything else there put together.

On the subject of Crossrail, there seem to be a lot of busy people working on the old Connaught tunnel the last few weeks. I understand a chunk of the dock above the tunnel has been drained, as far as I can see from the bridge. The gangs up behind the Excel centre seem to be making plenty of noise as well, last few times I was round that way. As I recall there isn't going to be a particularly convenient station near LCY on Crossrail, unfortunately...

Well, Custom House is probably less walk from the gates at City than the Heathrow Tube station are from the Heathrow gates...

Also I heard that they were draining the docks to inspect the roof of the tunnel which turns out to be in much worse shape than they expected, so there's another billion on the bill.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
This was an educational video released in the 70's in the UK on the dangers of playing near railway lines. It is in the mould of many educational videos of the time, and is dark as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slJyhOEo-SY

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I remember reading about a hidden London Underground line in this thread, something to do with the Cold War and checking mail. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Jeoh posted:

I remember reading about a hidden London Underground line in this thread, something to do with the Cold War and checking mail. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

This?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Post_Office_Railway

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Nah it carried actual passengers, found that one already (pretty cool idea, using the Underground for cargo).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

Nah it carried actual passengers, found that one already (pretty cool idea, using the Underground for cargo).

The Post Office Railway did carry passengers (unofficially and semi-illegally because the signalling wasn't up to the correct standard for passenger use I believe), lots of post office staff would use it to commute from Whitechapel Head Office out to the others as Whitechapel was the only one with spare parking.

There was a long-standing conspiracy theory that it was to be used to evacuate the Government from London in the event of a nuclear attack because it went under a number of Government buildings and the Paddington terminus was adjacent to the GWR, which ran down to Corsham where the Continuation of Government Centre was (allegedly) located.

(Similar theories exist for the District Line on the Underground, for the same reason, as well as the Piccadilly Line which has a ghost station (Down Street) and siding under what was once a major Ministry of War building and was used by Churchill as air raid shelter prior to the completion of the Cabinet War Rooms, and about most of the other central tube lines because all of them travel almost directly under two ore more sensitive sites)

Metaconcert
Nov 28, 2010

"And my answer is when there are nine"

Jeoh posted:

Possibly this article? However accurate the mail checking may be, it seems a likely way to remember the piece, and it's a fun read even if it is the wrong train.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I found it, it's the Clapham Junction – Kensington Olympia service, also known as the Kenny Belle. Here's some more information: http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/a-beeching-epilogue-the-curious-case-of-the-clapham-junction-ghost-train/

e:fb. Well that'll teach me not to read articles before posting a reply!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's presumably the same line that's now part of the Clapham-Willesden leg of the Overground. Given how busy that link is now (as it's a great shortcut for anyone coming in to Waterloo to the west side of town) it's possible they kept it secret just so they didn't get overcrowded, especially in the days before the Jubilee Line Extension.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's presumably the same line that's now part of the Clapham-Willesden leg of the Overground. Given how busy that link is now (as it's a great shortcut for anyone coming in to Waterloo to the west side of town) it's possible they kept it secret just so they didn't get overcrowded, especially in the days before the Jubilee Line Extension.

I occasionally have to travel from near Balham to Acton, and discovered this line after about 2 years, a mysterious service between Purley and Milton Keynes via Clapham Junction and Olympia. Completely out of place on the tube map, but bizarrely useful.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Incidentally, the HS2 preparation bill (the so-called "blank cheque") gets its Second Reading today. Will be fun to see the NIMBYs complain about "outstanding beauty!" and how Birmingham will lose out with HS2 because Curzon Street is supposedly in the middle of nowhere.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
I'm curious how the partial handover of local West Anglia services to TFL is going to end up. As I understand it, the current plan is to hand the entire Seven Sisters route plus the Chingford route over to TFL. How's that going to work out for engineering work on the Tottenham Hale route?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Brovine posted:

I'm curious how the partial handover of local West Anglia services to TFL is going to end up. As I understand it, the current plan is to hand the entire Seven Sisters route plus the Chingford route over to TFL. How's that going to work out for engineering work on the Tottenham Hale route?

I'm intrigued by this as well. The Tottenham Hale branch is part of one of the Crossrail 2 options, so there could be major work on that line. And even if that option isn't chosen, Enfield Council have put in a request for the line to be upgraded, which would mean major work on the line.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

kingturnip posted:

I'm intrigued by this as well. The Tottenham Hale branch is part of one of the Crossrail 2 options, so there could be major work on that line. And even if that option isn't chosen, Enfield Council have put in a request for the line to be upgraded, which would mean major work on the line.

The suggestion I'd heard on upgrades was four-tracking from the Stratford junction up to at least Brimsdown, as virtually all the trackbed and bridges are still intact from pre-electrification. The idea seemed to be increasing local all-stations services along there, sending them down to Stratford via Lea Bridge.

No idea if that was still the case. Getting the slower trains out the way of semi-fasts from Stortford and points north sounds like a good idea to me.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

TinTower posted:

Incidentally, the HS2 preparation bill (the so-called "blank cheque") gets its Second Reading today. Will be fun to see the NIMBYs complain about "outstanding beauty!" and how Birmingham will lose out with HS2 because Curzon Street is supposedly in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, let's all laugh at the Tory-voting shits, etc but there are also many council properties along the route in urban areas that are likely to be affected as well, what measures are being lined up to ensure those tenants are rehoused locally and the needs of these communities are adequately provided for? Even the ones whose homes aren't required to be demolished are likely to suffer increased noise and vibration, no?

Given the current climate and certain councils' vile practices of shipping out their poorest citizens to cheaper parts of the country, forgive me for not having much faith in the likelihood of those in greatest need getting fair and just treatment in all this.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So, can someone explain to me just *how* this situation arose?
I wanna visit a friend in Maidstone. I'm in Bromley. A single ticket is 13.60. A same day return is 13.70. An open return is 29 something aka more than 2 singles combined. :whatthechrist:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Same day returns are just a way of trying to encourage booking out seats on the trains and the open return is any train in the next month which can make planning for it harder, hence the cost.

I mean I doubt they ever really change the size of the trains based on ticket sales but it allows them to get figures on how to maximise their money.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
There has never really been a centralised look at all the fares on the system, there are simply too many. You have to remember that each and every fare has a history lasting like 100+ years, and whoever sets the fare at the time probably just does some % increase without comparing it to 'competing' fares. If they actually knew that two singles were more expensive than a return they would change it, either by lowering the return or the singles. And in some cases if they do that, then they need to change other fares and maybe there is some imbalance elsewhere. The short of it is that the fare system is too complicated for anyone to get a handle of it entirely, so historic trends will cause local anomalies. This is why split ticketing often works as well. There are also some other reasons that have come across more recently through privatisation due to different companies raising fares using different methods, and different types of ticket for the same journey may be priced by different companies. Also some fares are regulated by the DfT to ensure fares don't increase too quickly, but only some. Things get more complicated when you try to make sure that prices are a suitable fraction of the season ticket etc.

However, in THIS case there is a semi-logical reason. The single ticket is an Anytime so its going to be poor value (£13.50) compared to the Off-peak day return (£13.60) just because of that (an Anytime return is £16). Why there isn't a off-peak single is a separate issue. Neither of these are valid using High Speed 1 from St Pancras. The off-peak return (£29.40), where you can return on any day up to a month, IS valid on HS1, making it more expensive. This is despite this particular journey being quicker by the normal train. There are a whole bunch of other fares for use on HS1 which makes the £29.40 fare look more reasonable, despite it being not being the best route. I'm guessing this came about because Southeastern just did a blanket formula to work out how much they should charge for HS1 without checking to see whether it would even be a reasonable route for all of their journeys.

I can't wait to see what HS2 will bring.

Edit: I've just realised that this journey isn't even valid via HS1. Despite that this is how all these fares are priced: "Not via HS1" or "Any Permitted". This means that there is no difference in route validity between the two, but one costs about £13 more. Bizarre.

nozz fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 1, 2013

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Brovine posted:

Getting the slower trains out the way of semi-fasts from Stortford and points north sounds like a good idea to me.

Given how much stuff is right next to the railway most of the way, the easiest (cheapest?) option would be to expand Brimsdown or Ponders End stations to 4 tracks. Those stations aren't far off halfway between Broxbourne (which already has 4 tracks) and Tottenham Hale, where every train stops anyway. So suburban services could stop and wait there while a fast train goes through.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Is it TfL's intention that most/all London suburban services under the Overground banner? It would make sense, but I'm wondering how it'd work with their turn-up-and-go philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Is it TfL's intention that most/all London suburban services under the Overground banner? It would make sense, but I'm wondering how it'd work with their turn-up-and-go philosophy.

So far they've mostly been opportunistic, taking over lines where the track and/or rolling stock were badly in need of replacement but the train company has been reluctant to do so. It probably is at the back of their mind that eventually they'll own most of the non-mainline track and stations in London (and possibly even London Bridge and Cannon Street) but it's probably not actually written down anywhere because of course they don't want to terrify the Government by being seen to have any long-term plans that don't involve handing over huge amounts of money to the private sector.

I think even TfL have been surprised by how popular the Overground has been though, and I think you can apportion a lot of that to it being fully integrated with Oyster and, crucially, with the standard Underground map. Even though you can of course use Oyster on most rail services now, putting the Overground on the Tube map has removed a big psychological barrier; people who previously avoided suburban rail because of it's sometimes terrifyingly arcane pricing structure just treat it like any other Tube line now.

As to the different ticketing regime and its workability - if the Met (and the Overground) can work out to Watford and the Central Line out to Epping, there's no particular reason the Overground can't work out to Sidcup, for example.

• Locked thread