Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Kairos posted:

All Kickstarters get huge boosts in the last couple of days. Until then they're usually pretty flat, or if they were hyped enough prior to opening display an inverted bell-curve pledge distribution. I wouldn't be especially surprised to see it get another $200,000 or $300,000 on the last day alone.

While this is normally true, I've given up on projecting for Hex because of how bizarre the pledge pattern has been compared to most KS's and games specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

The last day or two will probably have most of the people who are upset about no more GK/Pro tiers buying into king or DC.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Karnegal posted:

While this is normally true, I've given up on projecting for Hex because of how bizarre the pledge pattern has been compared to most KS's and games specifically.

According to Kicktraq, it's already picking back up again.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Rhaegar posted:

True, I mean if anyone is like me then and are debating the Dungeon Crawler or Collector tier (or both) then I could definitely see a large number of pledges on the last day.

This is exactly where I'm at, although I'm debating between King and Dungeon Crawler - I just can't decide if I want to go in on this game in earnest, and if I do, how much money am I willing to spend?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

blue.eyed.ash posted:

This is exactly where I'm at, although I'm debating between King and Dungeon Crawler - I just can't decide if I want to go in on this game in earnest, and if I do, how much money am I willing to spend?

I think about it like this- It's not how much money I want to spend now, it's how much I'm GOING to spend. Will I spend another 130 dollars on this? Yes, yes I will. Might as well get as much value out of that as I can.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

signalnoise posted:

I think about it like this- It's not how much money I want to spend now, it's how much I'm GOING to spend. Will I spend another 130 dollars on this? Yes, yes I will. Might as well get as much value out of that as I can.

Oh, that's exactly the valuation I'm making - but $250 is probably close to what I've spent on all my apps and MTGO combined.

That said, I've dropped a ton of cash on paper Magic lately and my opportunities to actually play are almost nil coming up, so I could just redirect that spending to Hex.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Eh, if Grand King was available without having to jump through alot of refresh hoops, I'd consider going all the way up there.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Oh, that's exactly the valuation I'm making - but $250 is probably close to what I've spent on all my apps and MTGO combined.

That said, I've dropped a ton of cash on paper Magic lately and my opportunities to actually play are almost nil coming up, so I could just redirect that spending to Hex.

eBay Magic cards, put money in Hex. I paid for a Grand King and a Pro largely on non-eternal Innistrad block cards since I don't have much time to play this summer because of an upcoming move.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Re: stretch boost, there are 2K backers at $250 who don't have an upgrade path because there's nothing left between 250 and 2500, and even more backers at 90/120 who might not even have a good 250 tier on the last day (if DC sells out).

Blinkman, you guys really need to put something else in at 500 and 1K. Doesn't have to be more GK slots or share most of their bonuses, but it does have to give PP/DC backers a reason to move up. Maybe something like "pick one $250 reward AND get X set 2 packs when they come out".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Adar posted:

Re: stretch boost, there are 2K backers at $250 who don't have an upgrade path because there's nothing left between 250 and 2500, and even more backers at 90/120 who might not even have a good 250 tier on the last day (if DC sells out).

Blinkman, you guys really need to put something else in at 500 and 1K. Doesn't have to be more GK slots or share most of their bonuses, but it does have to give PP/DC backers a reason to move up. Maybe something like "pick one $250 reward AND get X set 2 packs when they come out".

They've kindof already done this by allowing people to pledge multiple accounts. You can't go to $500 but you can go to $250 twice.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They've kindof already done this by allowing people to pledge multiple accounts. You can't go to $500 but you can go to $250 twice.

That's really weird and usually not something you can do with Kickstarters, though. I'm not sure how many people are actually aware it's even an option.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The best/only $250 reward I'd personally consider now can't be doubled up on unless I wanted to sell an account at launch or something. There's nothing else left worth doubling to. I guess people can buy more kings but ehhh it isn't obvious or even necessarily worth it.

e: and yeah, it probably doesn't help that there's no mention of doubling on the main KS page.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Doubling up on Dungeon Crawler and Collector isn't actually that much worse than Grand King right if you don't really care about the Raid or Guild tiers? Sure you don't get the draft for life but you do get 2x King so that's 300 boosters and two free drafts per week for a year whereas in Grand King you only get King once.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Does anyone know if it's possible to open a primal pack in a draft and if so what happens?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Rhaegar posted:

Doubling up on Dungeon Crawler and Collector isn't actually that much worse than Grand King right if you don't really care about the Raid or Guild tiers? Sure you don't get the draft for life but you do get 2x King so that's 300 boosters and two free drafts per week for a year whereas in Grand King you only get King once.

The year of free drafts don't stack.

Rhaegar posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to open a primal pack in a draft and if so what happens?

It's not possible, packs are made primal when you buy them, you simply can't use them in drafts.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Rhaegar posted:

Even if everyone involved knows you can multi-account this, for most people this is an argument for getting a king, not an argument for getting a collector. It isn't worth the extra $130 over king to me (to be honest, I don't even like king that much).

Look at the backer numbers right now - ~10750 backers not counting Paypal, 2K of whom are at $120, 2K at $250 and 1K more at $500. Nearly half of the total pledges are deep into triple digits, which has to be a record for software. But heading into the home stretch, except for the leftover DCs they've got nothing for any of them to upgrade to. It's easily leaving $100K+ on the table.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Adar posted:

Even if everyone involved knows you can multi-account this, for most people this is an argument for getting a king, not an argument for getting a collector. It isn't worth the extra $130 over king to me (to be honest, I don't even like king that much).

Look at the backer numbers right now - ~10750 backers not counting Paypal, 2K of whom are at $120, 2K at $250 and 1K more at $500. Nearly half of the total pledges are deep into triple digits, which has to be a record for software. But heading into the home stretch, except for the leftover DCs they've got nothing for any of them to upgrade to. It's easily leaving $100K+ on the table.

Well, I think the Collector itself may be worth it.

In addition to the twelve alternate PvP cards per year (two copies of the original six, due to stretch goals) they get an additional copy of every King exclusive card, and a Stretch Goal gets you a further additional copy of the King exclusive cards, with the exception of Spectral Lotus Garden, for a total of 3x the King exclusive cards, and the Collector is the only $250 tier to get two Spectral Lotus Gardens.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

BenRGamer posted:

Well, I think the Collector itself may be worth it.

In addition to the twelve alternate PvP cards per year (two copies of the original six, due to stretch goals) they get an additional copy of every King exclusive card, and a Stretch Goal gets you a further additional copy of the King exclusive cards, with the exception of Spectral Lotus Garden, for a total of 3x the King exclusive cards, and the Collector is the only $250 tier to get two Spectral Lotus Gardens.

I'm not really putting down the reward; I know it's worth it for some people and might even pay for itself eventually. But it's not going to be the thing that some guy pledged for $120 decides to upgrade to. You can see that by how fast PP sold out and DC is going vs. everything else.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BenRGamer posted:

The year of free drafts don't stack.

That's presuming you combine the accounts. There's good reason not to do that if you're a collector -- we know from the podcast there are going to be PvE dungeons where getting one card will lock you out of another.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Yeah I didn't know the free year of drafting didn't stack. I thought I had read somewhere that they do stack. That sucks.

Edit: In think the free weekly drafts do stack: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23603

"- You will get the 3 booster drafts per qualifying tier, so if you have 3 qualifying tiers you get 9 drafts"

Rhaegar fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 2, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You have to actually do the drafts to get the boosters right?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Yea they said the drafts are use it or lose it.

The pro player type tiers definitely stack, but none of the 1 year free drafts stack if you already have a tier that gives you free drafts for a year or life. So if you are going DC and Collector for example it's best to keep those accounts separate.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Rhaegar posted:

Yeah I didn't know the free year of drafting didn't stack. I thought I had read somewhere that they do stack. That sucks.

Edit: In think the free weekly drafts do stack: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23603

"- You will get the 3 booster drafts per qualifying tier, so if you have 3 qualifying tiers you get 9 drafts"

That's the Pro-Player free drafts for life, they do stack, it's the year of free drafts the other $250 tiers get that don't stack. I believe that post was made before the year of free drafts was introduced.

Edit: And I'm beaten.

Well, personally, I've got Collector. I was considering going higher, but I'm thinking maybe not and use the money to buy a tablet for when the game comes out.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Ok thanks for the clarification

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
New update talking about the security of the game when it comes out.

Edit: Also, Alpha is going to be "a few weeks" before beta, and there will be no more tiers.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

BenRGamer posted:

Edit: Also, Alpha is going to be "a few weeks" before beta

That's not what was said at all. He said the alpha would be several weeks long. It's entirely possible the Kickstarter alpha will be months before the beta--presumably they'll want time to integrate feedback and fix major bugs and test them internally before beta hits.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Zurai posted:

That's not what was said at all. He said the alpha would be several weeks long. It's entirely possible the Kickstarter alpha will be months before the beta--presumably they'll want time to integrate feedback and fix major bugs and test them internally before beta hits.

I don't know how I misread that, but yeah. Guess that's what happens when I only get 4 hours sleep one night.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zurai posted:

That's not what was said at all. He said the alpha would be several weeks long. It's entirely possible the Kickstarter alpha will be months before the beta

Not if they plan to meet their scheduled dates. The beta is due to start in September.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

Not if they plan to meet their scheduled dates. The beta is due to start in September.

My assumption reading that is that we'd get an "Alpha" in early September, rolling into a "Beta" in late September. Y'all are right though, we could theoretically see an alpha before that with a time gap for bug fixing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

They could start an alpha next week (they won't, but they could), run it for six weeks, and still be a couple months before an end-of-September beta.

Also, since when has an over-funded Kickstarter hit its scheduled dates?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zurai posted:

Also, since when has an over-funded Kickstarter hit its scheduled dates?

Dreadball shipped early, and they had physical items to manufacture.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I've funded like 5 of these fuckin' kickstarters at this point and played absolutely nothing yet. I'm either in for the world's best Fall/Winter or staggering disappointment.

It's like an entirely new form of gambling!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Dreadball shipped early, and they had physical items to manufacture.

Yeah, I'm sure there's some, my remark was a bit tongue in cheek. The majority that get significantly over-funded seem to slip at least a little bit, though, and to be honest I'll be happy with Hex's progress as long as the beta comes out before Christmas and isn't a train wreck.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

VanillaGorilla posted:

I've funded like 5 of these fuckin' kickstarters at this point and played absolutely nothing yet. I'm either in for the world's best Fall/Winter or staggering disappointment.

It's like an entirely new form of gambling!

I feel the same way, and the time delay is the worst part. I figure it'll feel better when I start receiving rewards while I'm also pledging to new stuff.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Welp, I up and decided to buy myself a Hex-related avatar from the Collector sleeves.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

OrangeKing posted:

I feel the same way, and the time delay is the worst part. I figure it'll feel better when I start receiving rewards while I'm also pledging to new stuff.

Yeah, at this point, sometimes I just randomly get things in the mail that I pledged for 6-12 months ago. If you kickstart stuff regularly, it sort of constantly rolls in.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

BenRGamer posted:

New update talking about the security of the game when it comes out.

Edit: Also, Alpha is going to be "a few weeks" before beta, and there will be no more tiers.

Probably saves me some money, but definitely costs them some. Oh well.

I like the tough talk about botting, though!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I have to imagine that any delay in starting up the Alpha revolves around setting up their server infrastructure, because they've been showing off the game pretty frequently and it looks pretty polished for something that's supposedly in a pre-beta state.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
There's an interview up on Angry Joe's website now, haven't seen it yet, though http://angryjoeshow.com/2013/06/hex-mmotcg-aj-pledge/

Edit: One big rule, nothing can reduce a cards cost to 0.

Edit 2: And he talks about Guilds, apparently you can check in and check out decks, and you can add notes to the decks, but, I think, you can only use them against other Guild members.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

No cost reduction to 0 is kinda weird.

• Locked thread