Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I would have been really proud if the full page drawings I did in my math book in lieu of work looked like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Luke Skywalker looks pretty good (though nothing like him) but literally every other person in that poster has a horribly rendered facial expression. Also why can't Leia be doing something cool? cause she's a lady?!?!?!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Fayez Butts posted:

Luke Skywalker looks pretty good (though nothing like him) but literally every other person in that poster has a horribly rendered facial expression. Also why can't Leia be doing something cool? cause she's a lady?!?!?!

I guess she could be tortured. That's pretty much all she does in the movie.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Han looks like a melting wax dummy of Bruce Campbell.

Sheldrake posted:

I guess she could be tortured. That's pretty much all she does in the movie.

She also shoots fools and jumps into a garbage disposal.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

It took me a moment to realize that wasn't Han's disembodied torso with Luke's arm sticking out of it.

Fayez Butts posted:

Luke Skywalker looks pretty good (though nothing like him) but literally every other person in that poster has a horribly rendered facial expression.
This is what happens when you practice drawing spaceships and not people.

The starfighters are pretty though.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lizard Combatant posted:

She also shoots fools and jumps into a garbage disposal.

That's domestic work. Star Wars is regressive as gently caress.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

I'm guessing this is a high school art project. There's a sliver of canvas showing on the upper right edge of the Death Star. Still better than most of the minimalist stuff out there.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Kind Milkman posted:

I'm guessing this is a high school art project. There's a sliver of canvas showing on the upper right edge of the Death Star. Still better than most of the minimalist stuff out there.
From Cinemasterpieces:

Cinemasterpieces posted:

For the ultimate STAR WARS fan, this is the holy grail. This is the FIRST poster ever issued for STAR WARS. It is NOT a poster that was issued to theatres. Designed by Howard Chaykin, this poster was issued in 1976 well before the movie was released in May 1977. It is said that only 1000 were made (some say more) and it was sold/given away at the San Diego Comic Con and in comic book stores to promote the Marvel comic book. Extremely rare and highly sought after, these very rarely are offered for sale. Most probably did not survive because at the time no one knew what a phenomenon Star Wars would become.
Very odd history on this one. I knew it was a promotional piece done before the trailer or teaser posters, but I didn't realize that this was up close to a year before "Star Wars" came out in theaters.

EDIT: So apparently Howard Chaykin made something called "American Flagg", has done work for Marvel and DC, and the most current work of his listed on Wikipedia dates to 2011.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 2, 2013

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Whatta twist!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This was why Lucas wanted the merch rights; in case Fox didn't promote the movie enough he went ahead and licensed comics and posters and such to get sci-fi fans interested. The novelization has a copyright of 1976 too.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

EDIT: So apparently Howard Chaykin made something called "American Flagg", has done work for Marvel and DC, and the most current work of his listed on Wikipedia dates to 2011.

I think Chaykin worked on the Marvel Comics Star Wars adaptation and the initial follow-up run, which started the EU. He's been pretty prolific, as you've seen. He's actually one of those artists, like Jim Steranko, that infused a lot of style and design into comics in the '70s. He still does a lot of work, although his more recent work is pretty spotty in various ways (like proportion, line control, etc.)

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This was why Lucas wanted the merch rights; in case Fox didn't promote the movie enough he went ahead and licensed comics and posters and such to get sci-fi fans interested. The novelization has a copyright of 1976 too.
And the reason why Fox handed them over so easily? The 1967 "Doctor Dolittle", which they had attempted to make into a merchandizing bonanza (toys, LPs, posters, magazines), but had ended up being a gigantic flop with unsold stock on par with the "ET" video game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Robert Denby posted:

And the reason why Fox handed them over so easily? The 1967 "Doctor Dolittle", which they had attempted to make into a merchandizing bonanza (toys, LPs, posters, magazines), but had ended up being a gigantic flop with unsold stock on par with the "ET" video game.

What's weird is that after that, though, Fox had the Planet of the Apes series, which was the closest thing to a merchandising bonanza before Star Wars- they made a lot of money off of PotA comic books, records, toys, etc. But they still didn't see it coming.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Slasherfan posted:

The sequel everyone wants! I also love how they advertise Resident Evil on a kids movie.

So, what.. this is a series now? What's next, A TALKING COW?!? A TALKING GOOSE?!? ... A TALKING SHARK?!?

wait...

gently caress yes.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

So, what.. this is a series now? What's next, A TALKING COW?!? A TALKING GOOSE?!? ... A TALKING SHARK?!?

wait...

gently caress yes.
I'm holding out for A TALKING PROTOZOAN?!? Since the humans can't see him, they'll just think he's God.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CloseFriend posted:

I'm holding out for A TALKING PROTOZOAN?!? Since the humans can't see him, they'll just think he's God.

To be fair, if I saw a talking cow I'd think it was Zeus or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This summer, Kristine DeBell stars in: I don't want to remember Sandra Marcel

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Needs more talking atoms.

A man is driven to insanity when every one of the atoms in his body begin speaking to him at the same time.

The man is played by Powers Boothe, and the voice of the atoms is played by Gilbert Gottfried.

(The movie should be reviewed by Terry Bruge-Hiplo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuUM4rgcexA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJkI0bAyGkY

Gonz fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 2, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Not heroism, bravery, or anything like that.
Just a certain boy.

e: :drat: those Gary Busey teeth!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Slasherfan posted:

The sequel everyone wants! I also love how they advertise Resident Evil on a kids movie.

I really can't tell if these are real or if people are making them up.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Just a certain boy.

I wonder what early-90s Ice-T would have to say about that.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

A TALKING SHARK?!?

Hey look! I'm Woody! Howdyhowdyhowdy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-I3UXqDhIo

I'd watch an entire film of that shark.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Suzuki Method posted:

I think that's my favorite moment in any Pixar film. Never fails to make me grin.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Young Freud posted:

I think Chaykin worked on the Marvel Comics Star Wars adaptation and the initial follow-up run, which started the EU. He's been pretty prolific, as you've seen. He's actually one of those artists, like Jim Steranko, that infused a lot of style and design into comics in the '70s. He still does a lot of work, although his more recent work is pretty spotty in various ways (like proportion, line control, etc.)

Case in point:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Case in point:

He used to do a lot of great horror comics too. Now all his comics are horror comics as they're full of misshapen creatures pretending to be humans like that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That poor man's arm.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

New World War Z banners.

The Zombies take Rio

Also Moscow

Plus this new character poster for Machete Kills, this time for Shé.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Suzuki Method posted:

This was a Far Side. Fewer sharks, more vultures (more implication of dead cowboy :()

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darthemed posted:

Just a certain boy.

According to IMDB Jacob Two-Two is a kid who repeats everything he says. Which is unfortunate, because if it hadn't been for that likely very annoying gimmick I would have probably tried to track it down to watch because Ice-T looks loving hilarious in formal Canadian judicial garb. Also, Gary Busey('s teeth).

[Edit: Apparently Busey's character is a professional wrestler. And the main character meets him after he is sent to prison. And the movie is a musical. :pwn:]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 2, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

lelandjs posted:

According to IMDB Jacob Two-Two is a kid who repeats everything he says.

That Jacob Two-Two, he's a good fella.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

Case in point:

When Chaykin is off these days, he's way off. Some of his latter-day poo poo looks like he just woke up in the middle of the night to finish it half-asleep.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

When Chaykin is off these days, he's way off. Some of his latter-day poo poo looks like he just woke up in the middle of the night to finish it half-asleep.

Are we absolutely sure the character's not a thalidomide baby?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chaykin is a total legend. Someone made a nice defense post in a comics thread a few days ago.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400783&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=66#post416027612

fatherboxx posted:

... something screams and dies inside me when I see another complaint about how much Howard Chaykin sucks - that started back when his diehard fans Bendis and Fraction invited him to draw some guest-star issues on their Marvel comics. Modern coloring fucks his art up horribly, and, to be honest, he has not upped his game, but he deserves way more credit. Some amazing vintage Chaykin (with Bruzenak lettering on that Shadow page):

(that Star Wars poster is the first thing about the movie the world saw back in the 1976)

Here's something from last year that looks awesome. (Don't mind the speech bubbles. It's a crazy explicit comic.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 2, 2013

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Vagabundo posted:

Also Moscow

I don't understand why St. Basil's is completely ablaze while there's only scattered firespots in the surrounding city. How did that happen? Are the onion domes actually packed full of dynamite?

Please say "yes".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When the zombies walk through fire, they catch on fire. Which can catch other zombies on fire.

Pick Hard
Sep 10, 2011
WWJD - The Motion Picture

WWJDII - The Wrath of Ratzenberger

When I first saw this one, I thought it was supposed to be another Jesus biopic. That smile killed me.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

lelandjs posted:

According to IMDB Jacob Two-Two is a kid who repeats everything he says. Which is unfortunate, because if it hadn't been for that likely very annoying gimmick I would have probably tried to track it down to watch because Ice-T looks loving hilarious in formal Canadian judicial garb. Also, Gary Busey('s teeth).

[Edit: Apparently Busey's character is a professional wrestler. And the main character meets him after he is sent to prison. And the movie is a musical. :pwn:]

He says things twice because no one listens to him the first time.

Also Jacob Two-Two gets rescued by Child Power, which are a teen superhero duo with "Child Power" on their shirts, and they give Jacob a Child Power T-shirt that says "Child Power" twice, which makes it the best. Child Power may or may not be his brother and sister.

I never saw the movie, but Jacob Two-Two Meets The Hooded Fang is a classic Canadian children's book and I will be damned if I hear anyone speak ill of it. :colbert:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A lot of Chaykin's modern stuff is very not good, but all y'all slamming his Star Wars poster are fuckin' crazy. That poo poo rules.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mike From Nowhere posted:

He says things twice because no one listens to him the first time.

Also Jacob Two-Two gets rescued by Child Power, which are a teen superhero duo with "Child Power" on their shirts, and they give Jacob a Child Power T-shirt that says "Child Power" twice, which makes it the best. Child Power may or may not be his brother and sister.

I never saw the movie, but Jacob Two-Two Meets The Hooded Fang is a classic Canadian children's book and I will be damned if I hear anyone speak ill of it. :colbert:

That actually sounds like a drat good book. I should have looked into the reason he says things twice--I just assumed that the character did it because QUIRKY KID CHARACTER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

lelandjs posted:

That actually sounds like a drat good book. I should have looked into the reason he says things twice--I just assumed that the character did it because QUIRKY KID CHARACTER.

I can see it being annoying in a film, especially a bad film. But it is a legitimately fantastic book.

Wikipeida posted:

One day, he decided to buy the groceries for his parents. There is a misunderstanding by the clerk, so Jacob finds himself in court. He is sentenced Two Years, Two months, two weeks, two minutes and five seconds in the Children's Prison hundreds of miles away from civilization.

This is a children's book where the protagonist goes to jail. The Hooded Fang runs the Children's Prison. Hunger Games ain't poo poo on this.

Also, I forgot to mention that Child Power's superhero names are Fearless O'Toole and The Intrepid Shapiro. Jacob Two-Two Meets The Hooded Fang is the jam.