Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

No one would marry my sons to their daughters with inheritable weak claims. Probably wise seeing as how I behave.

Solution: Find which holdings their daughters are in and take them by force. :black101: She even has 100 opinion of my ruler even with the -50 abduction modifier and -25 for murdering her brothers and is happily producing heirs with claims on East Francia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Huh, some viking took Brittany I noticed and now a couple of years late some random Breton dude with no history has established the Kingdom, with only the one duchy, as King Nikolaz the Liberator. His stats are pretty cool too, 14-21-12-5-10. Hell one of his tactic traits is Inspiring Leader and he has Just, Gregarious and Ambitious. I like this guy, I think he must have been the leader of a peasant revolt or an adventurer, not sure how to check but he's basically King Arthur.

Brittany for Bretons :black101:

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Flippycunt posted:

I'm saying is that once these super countries get to a certain size they become unstoppable and they eat the entire map. When you can count the number of major countries left on one hand trust me, its really boring.

This is one of the biggest flaws of the original, unmodded game. The levy sizes, and the comparative weakness of vassals even under a crown law like "autonomous vassals", are completely unacceptable. "Expanding your empire as much as possible" might be fun for some people, but I think that world conquest games are ridiculously boring and soulless.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Fuligin posted:

Since people are all revved up about TOG and vikings, I thought I might as well throw in a recommendation for The Long Ships. It's a fantastic historical fiction yarn set in the 10th century that follows the various voyages and adventures around Scandinavia and the Mediterranean of an unreasonably lucky Viking raider named Red Orm. It's loaded with delicious historical detail, a dry sense of norse humor, and references to historical events and playable CK2 personages like the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok and Harald the Fairhaired. It's a wonderfully fun read, and if you're craving a contextualized sense of the European world around 867-1066 it's hard to do better.

Just started this and I'm really enjoying it. I'd also recommend The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell (the guy who wrote the Sharpe series) and its sequels. It's about the son of a Northumbrian lord named Uhtred who gets abducted by Vikings after they steamroll Ælla and kill his family. Then he basically turns around and says gently caress this Christianity poo poo, Asatru is loving awesome and he is raised to become a badass Viking raider. Halfdan Ragnarsson, Ivar the Boneless, and Ubbe Ragnarsson show up in it, as well as a bunch of Christian historical figures like Alfred the Great and Asser. I only read the first 3 books but they're full of the same kind of badassery that makes the Sharpe books fun to read.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Dauntasa posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that the entire Catholic world wouldn't just sit around if a bunch of pagans were trying to burn the Pope's house down.

Next patch should make it so that the entire Catholic world turns hostile to Pope's raiders like a realm turns hostile to vikings raiding its province.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
So is there a reason the Catholic and Orthodox churches are separate in 867?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
This talk of the broken balance is a bummer. I've never tried Better Armies before - will the new version fix said problems/be savegame compatible?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

NewtGoongrich posted:

So is there a reason the Catholic and Orthodox churches are separate in 867?
Yes. There was already substantial doctrinal disagreement at that point, and they didn't want to have to model the great schism as well in an already-quite-large expansion that was theoretically focused on pagans.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Well I gave up on tutorials and just started playing. Going quite well. I've been marrying Scandinavian countries like crazy to make all Vikings like me. Seems to work apart from the occasional minor viking raid. I play as the Munster on Ireland.

It just takes ages to get a claim on nearby territories. I have my chancellor or whatever he is called working on a claim but it never happens. Anyway to get claims on land faster?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Yes. There was already substantial doctrinal disagreement at that point, and they didn't want to have to model the great schism as well in an already-quite-large expansion that was theoretically focused on pagans.

I'm hoping that the next DLC is for Theocracies and includes the schism, I agree with their reasoning but I kinda want religion to be more fleshed out than it is anyway.

Torrannor posted:

There is. Under the mini-map is a line of "information finding" tools. The second from the left is "Ledger". Open it and push the "next" button until you are on page 4 "Religions". You will see the different Religions, their religious head (if they have one), the moral authority and the number of counties following the religion.

How did I miss that? I've played all the other Paradox games and I just assumed they left the ledger out of CK2, goddamn so much more information.

Also please include as many graphs as possible in EU4 paradox, I would unironically buy a DLC consisting only of graphs for CK2.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Shorter Than Some posted:

I'm hoping that the next DLC is for Theocracies and includes the schism, I agree with their reasoning but I kinda want religion to be more fleshed out than it is anyway.

While I would not mind a more fleshed-out religion DLC, I sure as heck would prefer them to touch on Russia/the Eastern Europe polities. Right now they're just kind of... bland compared to everyone else.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Captain Trips posted:

I finally got a son, and started stabbing Mongols.

The game generates a new heir every time the old one dies. You can never transfer leadership of the horde outside the Khagan's family. Lame.

Certainly not true. I have had a kinsman inherit the Golden Horde in a game. Unless they changed that in the last couple of versions.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

nutranurse posted:

While I would not mind a more fleshed-out religion DLC, I sure as heck would prefer them to touch on Russia/the Eastern Europe polities. Right now they're just kind of... bland compared to everyone else.

Yes. Kievan Rus, the Rota system, Khazars, Jews..

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Qwo posted:

This talk of the broken balance is a bummer. I've never tried Better Armies before - will the new version fix said problems/be savegame compatible?

It'll fix the problems with army size/composition but probably won't be savegame compatible.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
My immortal god king who I mentioned in an earlier post (a ruler designer made super ruler who I gave shitloads of health thinking it would just effect diseases and stuff) is apparently not as immortal as I thought as he has just become infirm at the ripe old age of 147.

He has reigned for 131 years, reformed the Persian empire, lived a good 80 years as a maimed super warrior, killed untold thousands, had 5 successive wives (and god knows how many concubines)and had 112 descendants, 44 of which he has outlived.

I'm going to miss him.

nutranurse posted:

Have paradox given any indication of how many more DLCs we can expect? Or is it anyones guess?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So I just reformed the Norse faith in 897 and I feel strangely hollow. I mean, I know, I should start focusing on forming England and then Brittania, but... it was too easy to collect all the holy sites. I probably was playing out of character, since I started in York, but.... I dunno.

I was too gamey. Playing Gamey ruins this game. :(

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Veryslightlymad posted:

So I just reformed the Norse faith in 897 and I feel strangely hollow. I mean, I know, I should start focusing on forming England and then Brittania, but... it was too easy to collect all the holy sites. I probably was playing out of character, since I started in York, but.... I dunno.

I was too gamey. Playing Gamey ruins this game. :(

I still can't get loving Zeeland. Screw you Lotharingia t:mad:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Have paradox given any indication of how many more DLCs we can expect? Or is it anyones guess?

They have said they would like to make everyone playable except the Pope but that was more a comment they made one time than a firm DLC release schedule.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Yeah. I strait up removed the Norse levy bonus to make them a bit less awful. Made a Norse ruler of Gwynewhatever. North Wales. Conquered the rest of Wales, Ireland, and the parts of Scotland/England the other vikings didn't nab in less than a generation.

e: So it's still kinda stupid even without that bonus. Just noticed Africa was light blue. What the gently caress Vestiland.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

My immortal god king who I mentioned in an earlier post (a ruler designer made super ruler who I gave shitloads of health thinking it would just effect diseases and stuff) is apparently not as immortal as I thought as he has just become infirm at the ripe old age of 147.

He has reigned for 131 years, reformed the Persian empire, lived a good 80 years as a maimed super warrior, killed untold thousands, had 5 successive wives (and god knows how many concubines)and had 112 descendants, 44 of which he has outlived.

Is there some other ruler designer besides the one where you pick a dude and can add/remove some traits? I don't understand how you were able to add health and such to get such a long lived dude.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
^^^
Health and Fertility are editable stats in Ruler Designer. They have a plus percentage option.

quiggy posted:

I still can't get loving Zeeland. Screw you Lotharingia t:mad:

In my file, the Holland area went under the crown of Italy, and half of it tried revolting for independence alongside Tuscany and Modena, so I just stomped the hell out of Italy while they were busy trying to hold their south together.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Annath posted:

Is there some other ruler designer besides the one where you pick a dude and can add/remove some traits? I don't understand how you were able to add health and such to get such a long lived dude.

You can edit defines.lua to make every trait/stat increase free. Which I'd recommend, since it's fun sometimes to make a super dude, and it's more than possible to min/max the unmodified character creator to make a ludicrous character anyway.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Veryslightlymad posted:

In my file, the Holland area went under the crown of Italy, and half of it tried revolting for independence alongside Tuscany and Modena, so I just stomped the hell out of Italy while they were busy trying to hold their south together.

Lotharingia used to be a super power, covering roughly the territory of the HRE in 1066 and reaching all the way down to the tip of Italy. I successfully assassinated the king, splitting the country into two: Lotharingia is the north half, Italy is the south half. I declared a conquest of Zeeland, raised the levees of Norway and Ireland, and sailed south. By the time I landed my 7k soldiers, Lotharingia had somehow created a 15k doomstack that marched in. Now I'm trying to kill the new king of Lotharingia seeing as his heir is a 4 year-old girl. I just want this loving county :negative:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, I hear that. I tried a planned invasion of Frisia to get Zeeland and thought I was going to do great with my 12k adventurer stack until I landed and every single Catholic nation in Europe pulled up and combined into two 30k stacks. This was in 899.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I thought I was going to have to get the reformation way later in the game, but I saw an opportunity that I couldn't pass up.

I took my third and final holy site (the one in Mare) in the very unvikinglike method of Fabricating a Claim.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Are there any good mods compatible with TOG that add more plots, ambitions, events, etc? That is the only thing I think is really lacking in this game is the variety of these.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
I'm taking counties away from one of the Republics, and they're all Grand Cities or some such. So when I give the title to a courtier, I get that -30 Wrong Gov't Type penalty. How do I get around that?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Captain Trips posted:

I'm taking counties away from one of the Republics, and they're all Grand Cities or some such. So when I give the title to a courtier, I get that -30 Wrong Gov't Type penalty. How do I get around that?

Give the county title to a baron (with a castle) in the same county. The barony should become the new capitol and that's that.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Gyshall posted:

Are there any good mods compatible with TOG that add more plots, ambitions, events, etc? That is the only thing I think is really lacking in this game is the variety of these.

VIET basically tries to do this and I've heard it's already been updated for TOG (is the right?).

Otherwise you probably just need to wait.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I saw Norse England enacting a Holy War on France. I check back a little later and see this:

:stonk:

They now own Iberia-France-Genoa-Morocco and all of West Africa.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I tried adding new holy sites for all the custom religions. Still no go, mod still crashes when I try to load a country at "Adapting history".

It's really confusing, because usually it only does this when there's an elliptical bracket left unclosed, but I've run the Audax Validator a bunch of times and it hasn't come up with anything of the sort.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SkySteak posted:

So I saw Norse England enacting a Holy War on France. I check back a little later and see this:

:stonk:

They now own Iberia-France-Genoa-Morocco and all of West Africa.
Yeah, the muslims seem to conquer Iberia really reliably from the Old Gods start, and frequently push into France.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I'm the Sassanid's in the picture:

Here's a religious map:

That's an AI Byzantine Empire, FYI. Francia is in revolt, but is actually part of the Byzantine Empire. All I did was convert one of their emperors; then this happened. It's pretty nutso.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dallan Invictus posted:

VIET basically tries to do this and I've heard it's already been updated for TOG (is the right?).

Otherwise you probably just need to wait.

Sort of. It has a bunch of parts to it, and some of those parts have been updated while the rest is still being worked on. It's a shame, I'm eagerly waiting for the VIET update myself.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
That's... an interesting route, Crusader Kings 2.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

HenessyHero posted:

Like evil roots shooting down from the north, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and even Finland are digging their fingers deep down into Europe. It's only 920 :psyduck:

Well, the silver lining is whenever there's a succession everything absolutely detonates thanks to nonsensical gavelkind. It'd be neat if you could manually parse out counties to your offspring deliberately instead of holding a lottery succession every 20 years.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Sampatrick posted:

I'm the Sassanid's in the picture:

It's funny, I'm playing my first proper game as a duke of the byzantines, and they aren't doing any expanding because they spend all their time at war trying to usurp the loving crown all the goddamn time. How the hell are they pulling their poo poo together with you?

I'm also noticing that I'm being significantly more brutal by my CK2 standards, must but that aegean sea air.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Mrit posted:

It mentions in the flavor text (or dev diary, or perhaps someone in this thread) somewhere that the boats that the vikings used were able to be taken out, carried across a small bit of land, and put into the water again. If that's not it then I'm not sure what you're mentioning. The routes are abstracted, not the exact path your forces would take.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Those are called portages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Mrit posted:

There are a number of good portages in the Russian and Belorussian river systems. That's how the Vikings were able to do that exact route in real life, and how they pillaged Iran and Azerbaijan as well.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_route_from_the_Varangians_to_the_Greeks

• Locked thread