Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Sankis posted:

It mentions in the flavor text (or dev diary, or perhaps someone in this thread) somewhere that the boats that the vikings used were able to be taken out, carried across a small bit of land, and put into the water again. If that's not it then I'm not sure what you're mentioning. The routes are abstracted, not the exact path your forces would take.

There is a county between the two rivers. But even if is is 'historically plausible', its still hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Mrit posted:

There is a county between the two rivers. But even if is is 'historically plausible', its still hilarious.

Not just plausible, actually done.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Mrit posted:

Portages, the height of humour.

Tarnek
Nov 4, 2009
They actually pulled the boats over logs, they didn't literally carry them.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tarnek posted:

They actually pulled the boats over logs, they didn't literally carry them.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

It took far too long for that image to be posted in this thread.

Tarnek
Nov 4, 2009
One of the first tanks, I stand corrected :). By the way if you are interested, this is a good (a bit cheesy) book about vikings, part of where they travel along the eastern european rivers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Ships

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Is there a console command that allows you to change capital freely?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

I'm the Sassanid's in the picture:

Here's a religious map:

That's an AI Byzantine Empire, FYI. Francia is in revolt, but is actually part of the Byzantine Empire. All I did was convert one of their emperors; then this happened. It's pretty nutso.

How did you convert an emperor?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Captain Trips posted:

I finally got a son, and started stabbing Mongols.

The game generates a new heir every time the old one dies. You can never transfer leadership of the horde outside the Khagan's family. Lame.

That is certainly not true:

I am the one that Golden Hordes :black101: :black101: :black101:

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 2, 2013

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

fermun posted:

There are a number of good portages in the Russian and Belorussian river systems. That's how the Vikings were able to do that exact route in real life, and how they pillaged Iran and Azerbaijan as well.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_route_from_the_Varangians_to_the_Greeks

Wait, they pillaged Iran and Azerbaijan? Really? Where can I read more about that, because that is insane.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Is it possible to join someone else's plot? My eldest son wants to kill his brother, and frankly, I'm cool with that. gavelkind 4 lyfe.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Shorter Than Some posted:

How did you convert an emperor?

Imprisoned his 5 year old heir and educated him. He ended up converting and that was that.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Theswarms posted:

Wait, they pillaged Iran and Azerbaijan? Really? Where can I read more about that, because that is insane.

And that's part of the reason why Vikings are considered to be such badasses.

In CK2 the other day, I pulled a pretty neat stunt that I feel like bragging about in an internet post. I started a game as the Duke of York after William the Conqueror had taken over England. When William died, I got a war going with his heir and overthrew him with another guy who was matrilineally married to my character's daughter. I waited about 15 years for their daughter, the heir to the English throne, to grow up before I opted to pick a fight with the King that I had installed. I ended up capturing him in battle and chopped his head off, which didn't bother anybody since he was excommunicated by somebody other than me who didn't like him. Now my granddaughter is Queen of England and I have taken direct control of about half of the country, making it very unlikely that any revolt will topple my dynasty's rule.

And it's stuff like that which keeps me playing this game.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm Norway. I want to reform the faith but I'm a bit hesitant to try and conquer the holy places from under Sweden or Denmark. One of my sisters was married to two Danish kings in a row. Both died very young from natural causes.

Perm used to control most of Denmarks eastern territories but their king was part of the same dynasty as the Danish royals so I assume some inheritance caused this. Aquatine has swalloed Francia and Scotland controls almost all of the British Isles as well as a few strands on the mainland. The Magyars vanished without making much of an impact and Lotharingia used to control pretty much all the land from Holland down to southern Italy until the king died in a "accident" and the land was divided among his family causing some vry very ugly borders.

I have a crazy amount of prestige and money from looting. or I had. This screenshot was taken a few days after my 80 years old king, who spent the better part of his life carving through christian settlements, died.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 3, 2013

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
While I am all down for having an update on Christianity, I really would like to see Paradox put Judaism into the game. I know it's in CK2 Plus, but it seems like such an important part of Medevial life to leave out. Plus it is sad to see Tengri Khazars, being that Dictionary of the Khazars is a book I really enjoy.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Well, this is annoying. It seems like something may be broken with pagan crusades - I reformed the Western African faith, and after 1100 rolled around, the High Priest called a great holy war on Andalusia. Fair enough, myself and the other Wafrican states in the area took care of it. Except that the warscore has been at 100% for over a year now, and the high priest still hasn't declared victory.

I know the norse pagan one works okay, but that's because you can be the Fylkir and end the war yourself. Has anyone seen any of the other pagan crusades pulled off successfully?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Useless Shotgun posted:

While I am all down for having an update on Christianity, I really would like to see Paradox put Judaism into the game. I know it's in CK2 Plus, but it seems like such an important part of Medevial life to leave out. Plus it is sad to see Tengri Khazars, being that Dictionary of the Khazars is a book I really enjoy.
Doesn't Paradox have a "no Jews" policy, or did I make that up?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Well, this is annoying. It seems like something may be broken with pagan crusades - I reformed the Western African faith, and after 1100 rolled around, the High Priest called a great holy war on Andalusia. Fair enough, myself and the other Wafrican states in the area took care of it. Except that the warscore has been at 100% for over a year now, and the high priest still hasn't declared victory.

I know the norse pagan one works okay, but that's because you can be the Fylkir and end the war yourself. Has anyone seen any of the other pagan crusades pulled off successfully?

This isn't related to your question but what did you manage to do to succeed as a West African pagan? After I form the Kingdom of Mali I'm still not nearly powerful enough in either soldiers or income to do anything against the Muslims in the north. The closest thing to progress that I've made is declaring war on a count-level vassal in a succession crisis only to run out of time around halfway through.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Odobenidae posted:

This isn't related to your question but what did you manage to do to succeed as a West African pagan? After I form the Kingdom of Mali I'm still not nearly powerful enough in either soldiers or income to do anything against the Muslims in the north. The closest thing to progress that I've made is declaring war on a count-level vassal in a succession crisis only to run out of time around halfway through.

If Marrakesh gets into a major war before coming for you, you stand a chance - problem is, you need multiple consecutive wars before you control a port, never mind are able to fight them as an equal.

Edit: also Paradox is fine with Jew events etc in games as long as ethnic cleansing never comes up. They skipped the Khazars in CK2 because proper Jewish events would have been annoying and they inevitably get crushed like bugs anyway.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 3, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Odobenidae posted:

This isn't related to your question but what did you manage to do to succeed as a West African pagan?
Massively, massively cheat until I was remotely able to compete.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What other Rulers are similar to the Muenster start in Ireland 1066? I'm interested in "babby's first CK2" game type of things.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Gyshall posted:

What other Rulers are similar to the Muenster start in Ireland 1066? I'm interested in "babby's first CK2" game type of things.
Maybe Ivar the Boneless of Suthreyar in 867.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Gyshall posted:

I went from my Ireland start to a game as one of the many Dukes of France and one as the Duke of Mercia (England). It's been a nice second step, as there's still not a ton to worry about, but you get to experience being someone else's vassal, and all the things that entails.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Useless Shotgun posted:

Plus it is sad to see Tengri Khazars, being that Dictionary of the Khazars is a book I really enjoy.

That's a good book, but just in case you're unaware it's quite fictional. If you want to read some historical stuff, try The Jews of Khazaria. Also, This link seems okay.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Edit: also Paradox is fine with Jew events etc in games as long as ethnic cleansing never comes up. They skipped the Khazars in CK2 because proper Jewish events would have been annoying and they inevitably get crushed like bugs anyway.

Maybe I'm out of touch with video game design, but I can't imagine implementing some mildly in-depth Jewish cultures and events is harder than implementing the raids, religious reforms, river sailing, holy sites, etc. that was in the Old Gods.

Note that the Zoroastrians are also hosed over in CK2. They still at least have a few decisions and flavor mechanics in case you ever want to play as them.

Fardels Bear
Oct 27, 2006

Lookit me flash, boss.
So should I reform my pagan faith as soon as I possibly can? Are the things you give up worth the things you gain? I reaaaaaally don't want to manage all the grandchildren assassination that Gavelkind necessitates.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.

Rollofthedice posted:

That's a good book, but just in case you're unaware it's quite fictional. If you want to read some historical stuff, try The Jews of Khazaria. Also, This link seems okay.

I am quite aware that it is a fictional novel, and I am also interested in the actual Khazars. I chose to mention it because I feel it is a great book that features them.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So, I restarted, invited courtiers with claims to my court, betrothed them matrilinially. Now that its come due, they want a better alliance.

Opinion of me: +++++
Liege lord: ++
Wants something better: -----
Base reluctance: --

How do I get around this? Ive tried gifts and honorary titles, but he's still uninterested.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Can anyone with modding experience help me out? I'm trying to make an event that destroys all of a character's king titles. Here's what I've got:

Specifically, I'm trying to make an event which makes it easier for the AI to form the HRE while ensuring it's elective. It wouldn't make much sense for them to keep all the hereditary kingdom titles in the process. I could conceivably brute-force it by destroying any potential predecessor kingdoms, but that feels wrong.

Presumably I'm messing up the scope somehow, but I've tried it within the event itself, e_hre, and ROOT, so I'm at a loss.
Figured it out.

LowellDND posted:

So, I restarted, invited courtiers with claims to my court, betrothed them matrilinially. Now that its come due, they want a better alliance.

How do I get around this? Ive tried gifts and honorary titles, but he's still uninterested.

The AI is able to weasel out of matrilineal betrothals whenever it suits them (usually due to a change in the line of succession). You'll have to break it off manually, unfortunately.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 3, 2013

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Walliard posted:

Can anyone with modding experience help me out? I'm trying to make an event that destroys all of a character's king titles. Here's what I've got:

code:
any_realm_title = {
			limit = {tier = KING}
			destroy_landed_title = THIS
		  }
Specifically, I'm trying to make an event which makes it easier for the AI to form the HRE while ensuring it's elective. It wouldn't make much sense for them to keep all the hereditary kingdom titles in the process. I could conceivably brute-force it by destroying any potential predecessor kingdoms, but that feels wrong.

Presumably I'm messing up the scope somehow, but I've tried it within the event itself, e_hre, and ROOT, so I'm at a loss.

The AI is able to weasel out of matrilineal betrothals whenever it suits them (usually due to a change in the line of succession). You'll have to break it off manually, unfortunately.

Okay. Can I get them to marry after the broken betrothal?

Edit: Nope, neither he nor his sons will marry my grandaughter matrilineally. I am unclear on how this mechanic is supposed to work. Do these landless courtiers think Im going to conquer a county out of the goodness of my heart?

Loel fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 3, 2013

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

LowellDND posted:

Opinion of me: +++++
Liege lord: ++
Wants something better: -----
Base reluctance: --

They have to be in your court for marriage, then they don't get a say on the matter. If you get this it means they left your court for some reason, or your relative isn't in your court.
Matrilineal betrothal does nothing, AI will accept matrilineal betrothal but will not accept matrilineal marriage, only normal marriage(it'll also sneakily offer you normal marriage when betrothed come of age). AI will also never break betrothal, so you'll have to do it yourself and get opinion penalty. In short - don't use matrilineal betrothal.
There is a loophole, when they turn 20 they'll marry just about anyone, without caring he/she isn't titled enough.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

My guy, the Earl of Dublin, has taken his heir's wife as his lover and all of his "grandchildren" are actually his own children :banjo:

Also I have literally nothing to do but wait now that I've got three counties (dead father + claims fabricated on another). If only my guy could manage to fabricate something I could easily take over all of Ireland with just my demesne levies, but he just can't figure out how to do it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Pyromancer posted:

They have to be in your court for marriage, then they don't get a say on the matter. If you get this it means they left your court for some reason, or your relative isn't in your court.
Matrilineal betrothal does nothing, AI will accept matrilineal betrothal but will not accept matrilineal marriage, only normal marriage(it'll also sneakily offer you normal marriage when betrothed come of age). AI will also never break betrothal, so you'll have to do it yourself and get opinion penalty. In short - don't use matrilineal betrothal.
There is a loophole, when they turn 20 they'll marry just about anyone, without caring he/she isn't titled enough.

They are all in my court, hence my confusion. Should I hold the betrothal on them for another 4 years, then force a matrilinear marriage? It doesnt seem to be working with the courtier I invited, he's 46.

edit: A friend of mine is suggesting do a standard marriage, send his kids to the clergy, and assassinate the original claim holder. I'm unsure who the county would go to then.

Loel fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 3, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

LowellDND posted:

They are all in my court, hence my confusion. Should I hold the betrothal on them for another 4 years, then force a matrilinear marriage? It doesnt seem to be working with the courtier I invited, he's 46.

Did you give them any land titles at all? Even baronies, cities or bishoprics? I'm pretty sure they can't refuse any kind of marriage if they're unlanded and in your court, whether matrilineal or otherwise.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

FallenGod posted:

My guy, the Earl of Dublin, has taken his heir's wife as his lover and all of his "grandchildren" are actually his own children :banjo:

Also I have literally nothing to do but wait now that I've got three counties (dead father + claims fabricated on another). If only my guy could manage to fabricate something I could easily take over all of Ireland with just my demesne levies, but he just can't figure out how to do it.

Fire your council, get a new one. Find unmarried courtiers who are 15+ in the stat of your choice, invite them to court, make them council members, and find them wives with 15+ in the same stat.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Allyn posted:

Did you give them any land titles at all? Even baronies, cities or bishoprics? I'm pretty sure they can't refuse any kind of marriage if they're unlanded and in your court, whether matrilineal or otherwise.

Nothing. They've sat in my court for 16 years waiting for my granddaughter to grow up.

Then they get cold feet.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

LowellDND posted:

edit: A friend of mine is suggesting do a standard marriage, send his kids to the clergy, and assassinate the original claim holder. I'm unsure who the county would go to then.

If claimant and granddaughter are both in your court you should be able to marry them without any check. Can you share a screenshot of arrange marriage diplomacy?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Pyromancer posted:

If claimant and granddaughter are both in your court you should be able to marry them without any check. Can you share a screenshot of arrange marriage diplomacy?

Oh! I think I found the problem. My heir wanted a county a while back, so I gave him a new one, and he took his daughter (the betrothed) with him. I'm going to invite her back to court and see if that helps.

Edit: Okay, she won't return, but I found my mistake.

In early game Ireland, how do you manage demenses? I hit 3/2 so I gave Kildare to my heir. Now a few years later, my demense is 2/3.

Additional question: A lot of walkthroughs say dont give counties to your heir, give them to some random cousin who wouldn't inherit. Why is this a good move?

Loel fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 3, 2013

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I don't get it, whenever I send a guy to try and convert a pagan province the ruler of the place just locks him up instantly. Is it broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Anidav posted:

I don't get it, whenever I send a guy to try and convert a pagan province the ruler of the place just locks him up instantly. Is it broken?

Surprisingly Pagans just don't like being converted for some reason.

Personally, I think they are having too much fun pillaging to take communion! The savages!

I really do like ransoming back the ecumenical patriarch every couple of months though, much more profitable than raiding Constantinople (yes it is broken).

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 3, 2013

• Locked thread