Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

CivilDisobedience posted:

You should really stop using "MMA" to mean "the UFC" buddy

The unified rules is pretty much the only relevant ruleset in existence these days, buddy, regardless of organisation.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
No, they aren't, you just think that because you're a fanboy

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Is this real

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

No, they aren't, you just think that because you're a fanboy

And which organisations exactly use some other ruleset these days? Which ones allow fighters wearing Gi's?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

DekeThornton posted:

And which organisations exactly use some other ruleset these days? Which ones allow fighters wearing Gi's?

OneFC allows soccer kicks and knees to the head of grounded people.

nick Diaz's new promotion doesn't allow elbows.

But none of them allow gis.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Gis were welcome even in the UFC for a long time, the current rules are meant to make fights entertaining for the ignorant masses, not to promote fair or technical 'style vs style' matchups. They pander to wrestling like nobody's business, because that's what sells tickets

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Yuriy posted:

OneFC allows soccer kicks and knees to the head of grounded people.

nick Diaz's new promotion doesn't allow elbows.

But none of them allow gis.

Didn't OneFC recently switch to soccer kicks allowed from some strange halfway point where the referee could allow them under certain conditions?

I guess there is also Hip Show as well. But still no gis.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

They pander to wrestling like nobody's business, because that's what sells tickets

Jon Fitch: Fan Favorite

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Gis were welcome even in the UFC for a long time, the current rules are meant to make fights entertaining, not to present fair 'style vs style' matchups. They pander to wrestling like nobody's business, because that's what sells tickets

So what? The part of the article you complained about clearly was about the effectivness of wrestling versus judo in current day MMA. That means unified rules, which makes discussing how things work when one or more fighters wear a GI irrelevant.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Except that 'modern MMA' doesn't necessarily mean unified rules (no matter how much you want to claim that it's the only possible ruleset), and it's absolutely relevant to that discussion that one of the best weapons Judoka have in their arsenal has been taken away from them in UFC to give wrestlers an unfair advantage

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 2, 2013

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Are you guys being intentionally obtuse? Common sense should tell you that the wrestler isn't the one wearing a gi in that scenario...

How do you clock choke someone on a failed shot if they're not wearing a gi? Is there a different clock choke you're referring to where you would use your own gi lapel?

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah, using the very bottom of your own lapel. It's sort of the 'traditional' response to a wrestling shot in Judo, very common and very reliable. I'll look for a video.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Except that 'modern MMA' doesn't necessarily mean unified rules (no matter how much you want to claim that it's the only possible ruleset), and it's absolutely relevant to that discussion that one of the best weapons Judoka have in their arsenal has been taken away from them in UFC to give wrestlers an unfair advantage

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

1)What currently operating organizations allow the use of a gi?
2)The Unified rules do WAY more to nullify wrestlers than anybody else. Removing ground knees is a big example of this.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

I was kind of disappointed in his response to the "wrestling beats Judo" nonsense too. Sure, Judoka don't practice sprawling, but wrestlers don't practice submissions- both would have to pull from outside their discipline to stand a chance. And really, it's still a very predictable match: the wrestler sees the Judoka standing straight up and shoots a double, the Judoka bases out and uses his gi to secure a clock choke, the wrestler tries to drive through and finish the takedown, then wakes up a couple minutes later wondering what happened. It's not exactly rocket science.

Yep that's exactly how it would go..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfUsdV9j70

Wrestling is a lot more than just double and single legs.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
X-posted from the MA thread since I think there's some judo guys here that do not read the other thread.

Just helped one of my friend from the club pass their black belt test by being her uke. The experience was interesting since I'm probably going to pass my own black belt exam next year and I learned quite a bit in the process, but the training for the exam wasn't particularly great, especially toward the end since I was only uke and judo for the past 2-3 weeks as been 6-7 hours of me getting thrown and doing pretty much nothing else + the last 9 months or so of taking time to practice once or twice a week as uke in addition to "real" judo.

This got me wondering, how are judo black belts awarded in other places? Here it's a process that involves "Judo Québec" the governing body of judo for my province so your teacher as no say in you getting a black belt and can't award you one at the club.

To apply for your belt test you need :

-- To have been registered as a brown belt for at least 1 year
-- to get 120 points in order to apply. You get point for your 4 best competitions each year (5 points for showing up, 10 points for a ippon win, 7 points for a wazari win and 5 points for a yuko win). You also get bonus point for other stuff like about 30 points for being a member of Judo Québec and if you volunteer for a comp you get 5 points I think. "Free points" like those can't count for more than 50% of your total points.

At the actual belt test you :

-- Have to follow a lot of formal stuff that is sort of weird. The way you do everything is very formal which is weird since my club isn't formal at all. Like there is a way you have to move on the ground and a lot of other stuff.
-- Do around 9 throws (they chose which from a list of the whole gokyo)
-- Do a few pins (they chose which from a list of the whole gokyo)
-- Do a few arm bars they ask you for (they chose which from a list of the whole gokyo)
-- Do a few chokes they ask you for (they chose which from a list of the whole gokyo)
-- Do the Nage No Kata
-- Do a short randori

This is graded by people who are 5-6th dan judo player as far as I'm aware. Our judges were all 6th dan, one used to be canadian champion and another was a very old woman that did international kata competitions and received many 1st places. The other guy I don't know much about.

Is that standard across most of the world where judo is well implanted?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Nifft posted:

No you see it's not fair because Gardner needed to wear a gi too and

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

1st AD posted:

1)What currently operating organizations allow the use of a gi?
2)The Unified rules do WAY more to nullify wrestlers than anybody else. Removing ground knees is a big example of this.

1. Why do you think an organization needs to be currently operating to provide a MMA relevant ruleset? We're talking about the entertainment industry here, the longevity of an prize fighting organization relates to its business management, not its reffing.

2. You know they can't do ground knees in wrestling either right? The guys who get hurt most by the ground knees rule are people who use knees often (IE muay thai) and people who use a lot of knee on belly (IE judo bjj)

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 2, 2013

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

2. You know they can't do ground knees in wrestling either right? The guys who get hurt most by the ground knees rule are people who use knees often (IE muay thai) and people who use a lot of knee on belly (IE judo bjj)

Mark Coleman and Mark Kerr would strongly agree. Thankfully the wrestling conspiracy protected them from those deadly knees. You do know why those knees were outlawed? and it wasn't because of the dominance of Muay Thai fighters. Also knees to the body are still allowed whether grounded or not. Don't know why you think knee on belly would be banned either it's not a strike.

Nifft fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 2, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Jesus christ never mind, this guy is either a troll or a gigantic loving idiot.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

1. Why do you think an organization needs to be currently operating to provide a MMA relevant ruleset?

If someone, like Dave Camarillo, is asked to comment on how wrestling and judo work as a base for another combat sport, in this case MMA, you kind of expect him to base his answer on a ruleset that actually is used and athletes can compete in today, not years ago or maybe sometime in the future.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

1st AD posted:

Jesus christ never mind, this guy is a gigantic loving idiot.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
How fast do you think rules change if instead of my own gi I grow my hair out and grab that to finish chokes?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Novum posted:

How fast do you think rules change if instead of my own gi I grow my hair out and grab that to finish chokes?

No idea, but now I do know I wan't to see Benson Henderson try doing that in his next fight.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
V You're just UFC nutriding dude, this 'majority of current orgs' stuff is about entertainment prizefighting, not MMA, sorry you dont know the difference

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 2, 2013

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The majority of orgs either use the unified rules or something very similar. So yeah, when you talk about MMA rules you're talking about those rules sorry you don't understand this

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Many rulesets are used for MMA, just because you took it to mean "televised professional prizefighting like UFC"

Televised professional prizefighting like UFC is what the article you chose to comment on was discussing though.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Reminder that CivilDisobedience is the guy who thought a toehold meant literally curling a guy's toes under the palm of your hand.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
^ You should use present tense for this 'accusation' cause my mind hasn't changed any. That kind of toehold still works perfectly (confirmed as of last night), and the thing you guys are want to call a toehold is definitely a footlock by my standards.

Nifft posted:

Here's an equally stupid vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTm94LbLNQE

DekeThornton posted:

Televised professional prizefighting like UFC is what the article you chose to comment on was discussing though.

I don't think either Dave or the interviewer would make the mistake of equivocating the sport MMA with the prizefighting org UFC- they know the difference. You're the ones pretending they're the same exact thing and acting like the UFC ruleset is the MMA bible (which will be funny down the line when those rules change on you or another big prizefighting org pops up)

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 3, 2013

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

colonel_korn posted:

Reminder that CivilDisobedience is the guy who thought a toehold meant literally curling a guy's toes under the palm of your hand.

Oh nice.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

I don't think anybody is going to argue that Frank Trigg is not stupid.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

colonel_korn posted:

Oh god, I forgot all about that.

Wonderful.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

DekeThornton posted:

If someone, like Dave Camarillo, is asked to comment on how wrestling and judo work as a base for another combat sport, in this case MMA, you kind of expect him to base his answer on a ruleset that actually is used and athletes can compete in today, not years ago or maybe sometime in the future.

Nice try, zuffa zombie

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I've seen cunts try to argue that the UFC tries to avoid the term MMA so people think their brand is synonymous with the sport, but I've never seen one try to argue that the UFC isn't MMA. Its a great show of creative stupidity

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The UFC is not MMA, it's entertainment prizefighting.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Frank Trigg got choked out by Bruce Buffer in a hotel elevator, that's pretty funny.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

Frank Trigg got choked out by Bruce Buffer in a hotel elevator, that's pretty funny.

Its because Trigg didn't have the UFC's wrestling biased rules that disallow Buffer's biggest stylistic advantage, his suit

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
whenever me and another man are half naked and hes slamming me to the ground and punching my head, I always wish I had a cloth jacket falling off of me

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Actually it is wrestlers that are most disadvantaged by the UFC's rules, since they aren't allowed to wear wrestling shoes they are helpless against judokas vicious toe-locks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I saw fatherdog post the Camarillo article last night, came back to 50 unread posts, and my first thought was "CivilDisobedience is being a massive retard". Whatever happened to dojo storming Ricardo Almeida to show him just what a judo brown belt is capable of?