Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Come on it's fun.*

*I never used the free aim feature in FotS

I had fun with it, and used it consistently enough so that I could reliably snipe enemy generals if the opponent didn't realize what I was doing. So yeah, it's gamey as gently caress and requires some fixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Chomp8645 posted:

This was fixed a while ago in Shogun 2. All maps have dojos now (instead of only some of them), and if you control all the dojos for 10 minutes you auto-win. If you just collect the dojos then a camper will have to contest at least one of them, and the skirmishing almost always results in a full scale engagement because their only alternative is to throw units away one a time contesting points.

Huh I never knew they made that change, pretty excellent.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I had fun with it, and used it consistently enough so that I could reliably snipe enemy generals if the opponent didn't realize what I was doing. So yeah, it's gamey as gently caress and requires some fixing.

They should just disable it in multiplayer. It's a fun gimmick to have in single player but it's just stupid to have it in multiplayer.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

This was fixed a while ago in Shogun 2. All maps have dojos now (instead of only some of them), and if you control all the dojos for 10 minutes you auto-win. If you just collect the dojos then a camper will have to contest at least one of them, and the skirmishing almost always results in a full scale engagement because their only alternative is to throw units away one a time contesting points.

EDIT: Since it got me thinking about it, I'm going to share a classic tale of camper ownage. This is from a match shortly after release (so capping dojo's didn't cause victory, you had to kill the camper) on the infamous Okobe Gorge. My troops are in green and his are in red. I'll type out the chat in case it's hard to read.

Might be the same guy I fought. He sat on a hill and dared me to approach. Turns out that sitting next to the forest running all the way around the map can lead to unpleasant surprises.

He also got mad that I didn't charge into his perfectly placed killzone.

I mean, there is nothing wrong with taking a defensive position if you think you are outmatched. Attacking always comes with a penalty if your opponent knows what he is doing. But defending isn't camping. You still have to counter maneuver and look for pickoffs when one of his units is out of position.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I don't know if you guys have seen this yet but I found this campaign map that somebody pieced together from all of the info released so far.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If that's accurate then holy poo poo, Carthage gets a huge land advantage at the start. That's what, five provinces to Rome's three and the Ptolemies'... six? Oh. Oh. It must have something to do with the new province system, then. Everybody only starts with... half-provinces? Trippy.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Grand Prize Winner posted:

If that's accurate then holy poo poo, Carthage gets a huge land advantage at the start. That's what, five provinces to Rome's three and the Ptolemies'... six? Oh. Oh. It must have something to do with the new province system, then. Everybody only starts with... half-provinces? Trippy.

Rome looks like four provinces, actually - you can see the border just below "Italia". And of course, more to the point, not all provinces are created equal.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It would be interesting to see Rome 2 start with the actual possibility of Rome getting the poo poo kicked out of it by Carthage. In Rome 1 you kinda started out stronger than everyone else and then kept getting stronger.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
It's an impressive map, but I wouldn't put too much faith in it until we have an official source. Anyways, Jack Lusted apparently went on a posting streak over the weekend defending the army changes, with the answers consolidated into one thread. It's a bit huffy in places, and too long to just copy paste, but worth reading.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/68061-Jack-Lusted-s-clarification-of-army-cap

I like that "80% of battles are auto-resolved" statistic, because it's so true, especially late game. Dozens of trivial battles, all sieges all the time and garrison spam in place of fighting enemy armies are some of the biggest long-standing issues in TW games and it's nice to see some attempt to address them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I know it really shouldn't, but it always surprises me how mad or panicky people get when [newthing] isn't the same as [oldthing], like every time.

The new army system sounds boss, having the limit not scale entirely with the size of your empire means exactly where you place and how you use what tinyarmydudes you do have could be way more important.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The idea of not having to deal with little stacks wandering around razing all my poo poo as they run away from my armies sounds like the greatest loving thing ever. I was always a player who favored 2-3 solid stacks and hated the little rebel groups I had to run around dealing with. It was constant tedium, nothing more.

The changes sound fantastic and I'm glad to see the devs willing to defend them from the shitlords.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I love how the dumb asses think they are much better than one of the few guys who got hired because he could loving develop games of this series.

Keep on sperging TWC. Sincerely, a massive sperg.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think a lot of people get in the mindset of "The next one will be flawless, all they need to do is make the game setting X and then just change it a little. Little more. Little more. Perf-NOOO YOU WENT TOO FAR IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL THE WOODS ARE BURNING :qq: "

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
Be careful of changing a successful formula too much just for the sake of change though - down that road lies Diablo 3.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

melon farmer posted:

Be careful of changing a successful formula too much just for the sake of change though - down that road lies Diablo 3.

They're not exactly changing the formula up much though, it's more that they are refining it and making a working formula even better. I mean who other than the massive spergs really enjoy battles that feel absolutely meaningless since you have to beat up three more stacks to even make some progress? Fewer battles and sieges is the right way to go and it's really great that they are using the statistics they get from steam to enhance the game.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I bought the Grandmaster pack thing a couple months ago for $30bux, which is a complete anthology of the Total War games. I tried playing Shogun 2 ROTS as babby's first game and got so confused and gave up.

I attempted TW again last week. I fired up Shogun 2 as the Chosokabe and had a great time, actually winning some battles (though I'll probably still lose the campaign :smith: ) This is pretty fun, now that I understand it. Thanks, thread :glomp:

I was told in this thread that starting with Shogun 2 was a good idea. Medieval is dated, Rome is good, skip Empire, but play Napoleon if you like the setting. I'm thinking of installing Napoleon and playing that instead, because I like the setting. Is that going to be a huge step backwards from a gameplay or graphics perspective? What should I expect?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Napoleon has a lot related with Shogun 2 both graphics and mechanics wise, there are still a few ETW/MTW2 throw backs in the mechanics and UI but you'll get to grips with it easily.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Between this thread and Rome II looking absolutely amazing, I'm reinstalling Shogun II to tide me over. Thanks, jerks.

Maybe this time I'll actually finish a campaign. The original Rome was my first Total War game in about 2007-ish or so, but through that game and every TW game since the pattern is the same; play for a long time, build a nice empire, and then slowly stop paying before meeting the victory conditions. Then I'll come back months later to find the save file still there, but every time I'd rather just start over than jump back in to an established game.

My armies will know total victory one day. Eventually. Maybe.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I bought the Grandmaster pack thing a couple months ago for $30bux, which is a complete anthology of the Total War games. I tried playing Shogun 2 ROTS as babby's first game and got so confused and gave up.

I attempted TW again last week. I fired up Shogun 2 as the Chosokabe and had a great time, actually winning some battles (though I'll probably still lose the campaign :smith: ) This is pretty fun, now that I understand it. Thanks, thread :glomp:

I was told in this thread that starting with Shogun 2 was a good idea. Medieval is dated, Rome is good, skip Empire, but play Napoleon if you like the setting. I'm thinking of installing Napoleon and playing that instead, because I like the setting. Is that going to be a huge step backwards from a gameplay or graphics perspective? What should I expect?

It's probably a good idea to get a grip on the shogun games by playing the vanilla shogun 2 campaign before you take a crack at rise or fall. I don't think rise is quite as solid as regular shogun 2 and fall is good but a very different experience. Vanilla shogun 2 campaigning is surprisingly fun, I wouldn't be afraid of sticking it on hard once you get the basics down.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
^^^ Rise is way more polished than vanilla Shogun 2, there's just less in it.

canyoneer posted:

I think starting with Shogun 2 was a bad idea, actually. All the older titles are going to be steps backwards. That said, you can get away with trying it again; Rome 1 is so much older than Shogun 2 that what's dated about it probably won't even be noticeable, it's all so different. Then you should just... progress though the entire series from there. They're all pretty good games so unless there's a period you particularly detest you might as well play them all, especially if you have all of the DLC and expansions. Medieval 2 isn't actually that dated, it just has some old systems, and Empire has a lot of flaws but it gets way too much hate; the scale of it is unlike any of the others, and there's a massive amount of variety, especially with all the DLC. I wouldn't pass up on either of them if I had the whole series; you'll still get a lot out of both of them. Unless you're massively strapped for time or something.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Lord Tywin posted:

They're not exactly changing the formula up much though, it's more that they are refining it and making a working formula even better. I mean who other than the massive spergs really enjoy battles that feel absolutely meaningless since you have to beat up three more stacks to even make some progress? Fewer battles and sieges is the right way to go and it's really great that they are using the statistics they get from steam to enhance the game.

Yeah I'm not against it at all - some games are really great at finding exactly what makes them fun and streamlining the experience around those things (my favorite example of this is the latest Xcom).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

madmac posted:

It's an impressive map, but I wouldn't put too much faith in it until we have an official source. Anyways, Jack Lusted apparently went on a posting streak over the weekend defending the army changes, with the answers consolidated into one thread. It's a bit huffy in places, and too long to just copy paste, but worth reading.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/68061-Jack-Lusted-s-clarification-of-army-cap

I like that "80% of battles are auto-resolved" statistic, because it's so true, especially late game. Dozens of trivial battles, all sieges all the time and garrison spam in place of fighting enemy armies are some of the biggest long-standing issues in TW games and it's nice to see some attempt to address them.

I haven't been following this at all. Does someone have a link to a summary of the army changes?

From reading that guy's 'debunk all the spergs' posts I'll be pretty happy not have to deal with the small armies and if they can find a way to make me actually want to perform offensive sieges I'd be really happy. Normally I skip offensive sieges because auto-resolve will almost always give me a better result than I can get myself, which is not true for open battles. Defensive sieges though I've always found fun especially when the armies are equal in size.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I think Medieval II and everything after it are worth playing. And I'm somebody who's easily bored by old games. All of the games have their pluses and minuses, and what's a big minus for somebody else may be barely noticeable to you. I probably put more hours into Medieval II since Shogun 2 came out than any other TW game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
M2TW is such a simple looking game after playing stuff like Empire and Shogun 2, but I don't think that makes it a bad game. AI in total war games have never been good, but for me the setting of M2TW totally makes up for it. I just love the heck out of foot knights :allears:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Agreed on MTW's setting being the most interesting but going back to manual unit reinforcement, diplomats and all the other crap they streamlined in STW2 makes MTW2 a total pain to play.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I think my favorite thing about MTW2 is that when you upgrade the armor on your units they actually look different in battle. It's the little things like that and the generals' speeches that keep me coming back even though dealing with the other stuff is a hassle.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Grizzwold posted:

I think my favorite thing about MTW2 is that when you upgrade the armor on your units they actually look different in battle. It's the little things like that and the generals' speeches that keep me coming back even though dealing with the other stuff is a hassle.

Yeah, I had a few units of +3 armoured spearmen in every actively fighting army I could just because of how loving awesome they looked.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Shogun 2 was my first TW game and I have yet to work up the energy for Rise or Fall because god drat that poo poo took me 100 hours on Normal. I also can't imagine playing it any other way because I'd never be able to pick anyone but Hattori. Playing Shogun 2 first is basically like starting the Hitman series with Blood Money though; everything else is bound to feel dated and slightly frustrating.

madmac posted:

Maybe I was just really into Shogun 2 (ok probably this) but I fought every single battle including several failures on the Black Ship before resorting to auto-resolve. Sieges were largely turkey shoots with a couple good units of archers and later on I could chase fleeing armies with cavalry. Having five ninja on the go also softened up sieges quite a bit.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 3, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I see the General's speeches the same way I view fast travel in Elder Scrolls games: really you just want to skip past it and get to the actual action, but if you can force yourself to be patient you can get a much better experience from it. The first few times, anyway.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I hope they bring back the custom Intro movies for each faction, instead of the identical generic movies with a few re-voiced lines that they ended up with in Medieval 2/Shogun 2.

The stark differences between the Greek and Carthage intro's are way more compelling and interesting than 'CHOSOKABE LANDS HAVE ALWAYS PROVIDED FOR OUR PEOPLE - Rest of established script.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2DuyYIgIp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8J1xxitkbw

Really minor in the scheme of things, but still.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alchenar posted:

I see the General's speeches the same way I view fast travel in Elder Scrolls games: really you just want to skip past it and get to the actual action, but if you can force yourself to be patient you can get a much better experience from it. The first few times, anyway.
The best general speeches in Shogun 2 were when you fought major clans. Your daimyo would burn them mercilessly.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Shumagorath posted:

The best general speeches in Shogun 2 were when you fought major clans. Your daimyo would burn them mercilessly.

Yeah, which is why it's a shame that most of your battles tend to be against some minor that ended up becoming one of the top power players. Maybe that'll be alleviated in Rome 2 by having speeches that account for the general culture of the bad guys, instead of just lumping all minors into one speech pool, i.e. taunts that fit against one Gallic tribe fits against all of them.

On a side note, has anyone here ever completed a campaign as the Western Roman Empire in Barbarian Invasion? Seems to be possibly the hardest start out of any Total War game. If I recall correctly you literally start the game with a deficit AND not enough soldiers to properly cover your borders.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Tomn posted:

On a side note, has anyone here ever completed a campaign as the Western Roman Empire in Barbarian Invasion? Seems to be possibly the hardest start out of any Total War game. If I recall correctly you literally start the game with a deficit AND not enough soldiers to properly cover your borders.

It's actually a little boring, since there are only two ways to play it, at least on the harder difficulties: cede all of your territory except for one heartland like Italy or Spain and build your way out just like in vanilla, or follow some perfect formula to the letter for the first 20 turns. I tried the latter and got bored. It doesn't help that the foederati, which are a significant portion of your starting forces, are next to useless for their cost so you have to rerecruit your entire army.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 4, 2013

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
If anyone's interested and hasn't been checking, Steam have dropped the price of Rome 2 to the same as Amazon (in the UK at least) so it's a good time to preorder if you don't want to wait for free delivery.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
It's still $80AUD ($78USD) here in Australia :(

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
So reading through that post, Lusted claims the AI in Shogun 2 gets no monetary bonuses on normal, which is great. But doesn't it ignore unit construction pre-reqs? I know I've seen the AI run around with units they don't have, nor have had, the buildings for. Not having to build unit producing structures is a pretty big monetary bonus.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

If anyone's interested and hasn't been checking, Steam have dropped the price of Rome 2 to the same as Amazon (in the UK at least) so it's a good time to preorder if you don't want to wait for free delivery.

Has anyone else pre-ordered from Greenman? I did it ages ago but haven't received a CD Key. I'm guessing/hoping they send it out nearer the release date? Bit worried I've been lost in the system.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Cynic Jester posted:

So reading through that post, Lusted claims the AI in Shogun 2 gets no monetary bonuses on normal, which is great. But doesn't it ignore unit construction pre-reqs? I know I've seen the AI run around with units they don't have, nor have had, the buildings for. Not having to build unit producing structures is a pretty big monetary bonus.

I've never caught the AI doing this to the best of my knowledge. The only time I have seen an AI have a unit it couldn't build was ones that are part of that faction's starting army (Most factions get Yari Samurai or Katana Samurai to start despite not having the buildings, some get far more exotic ones). If the AI could ignore unit construction pre-reqs I would expect to see substantially different armies from one province minors instead of all Ashigaru since they had a Market or something.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Quick question, as a casual TW player... I've got about 47 hours logged in Shogun 2, maybe 30 hours in Napoleon, and 272 hours logged in Empire, which, obviously was the most fun for me personally...

Is Empire really considered the lamest one of all? Or is that just a vocal minority? I've been playing a little bit of Shogun 2 the past few days, and I'm installing Medieval 2 for the first time (Picked it up in the package on Steam a while back). Will I enjoy it? Or should I not bother? Also, are there any mods that bring it up to date with graphics a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

shalcar posted:

It's still $80AUD ($78USD) here in Australia :(

Greenman Gaming was offering it for $59.95 with a 20% off coupon so I'd keep an eye on that.

Also there's a goon selling Steam games for 15% off in the Buy/Sell forums.