Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is that version coming to PC? I was actually somewhat enjoying the story from the Dark ID's LP (until he abandoned it).

Ahaha, no. It's PS3 and PS Vita only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smart Car posted:

I could be wrong and they added even more to the Japanese International version, but wasn't all its content already included in the PAL version of FFX? That one had the Dark Aeons at least, I remember that pretty clearly because it made picking up something in Besaid really annoying :v:

E: It definitely also had the alternate sphere grid option thinking about it.

The PAL version is indeed the International Edition.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

FF7 was the first game I got for my PS1. I got it on a Thursday and stayed up all drat night playing it. 6am rolls around and I have to shut down to pretend I've been sleeping soundly, only to discover that it had snowed about a billion inches that night and school was canceled.

Adults, of course, still had to go to work, so I spent the rest of the day playing it and rolled it into the most glourious 3-day weekend of my life.

:hfive: fellow child game-addict. I once spent a week of my school holidays as a kid doing nothing but playing Skies of Arcadia Legends with a guide to locate all the moonfish and chams.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Barudak posted:

FFVI is fun once you get out of the World of Balance but getting to World of Ruin is a slog and I to this date can not stand how far you have to get in that game before it deigns to start giving you Espers. I'm always surprised when people talk about FFXIII being a huge tutorial when FFVI does the same thing until World of Ruin.

FFIV is just bad. Note; I'm ridiculously biased against it.

World of Balance isn't too bad for me, because I always try to low level the WoB, so I can take advantage of esper level up bonuses. It's a nice little diversion where you game the systems hard in a series of pre-set challenges, and the reward is a mostly open world with a bunch of blank slates you can grind up absurd stats and complete and totally break an already imbalanced/easy to crack game. I'm a bit of a power-gamer like that, though, so FFVI has grown a lot on me. Still think the original Final Fantasy is my favorite. Particularly the remakes that tighten up some of the mechanics a bit. I would be just shy of killing someone for a game in the same spirit as the original, with say, the generally open world design of FFXII. Dunno about the battle system, to be honest. I like turn based stuff, and actually find myself becoming more partial to random encounters. Strange what age will do to a person.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope

GreenBuckanneer posted:

and then started to work on Xenogears.

I actually own a factory sealed copy of this game. I really want to play through it but I can't bring myself to open this copy. It's not on the psn is it?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

juicecube posted:

I actually own a factory sealed copy of this game. I really want to play through it but I can't bring myself to open this copy. It's not on the psn is it?

It is. Keep that sucker sealed.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

juicecube posted:

You're in luck, because Xenogears IS on the PSN, and I have it on my Vita as proof.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
Nice and it even has vita compatibility you say. Purchased

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

From the way you were describing things, it sounded like you wanted a mostly linear experience. But yes, all of that is typical for Final Fantasy games. Eventually you'll get an airship and you're allowed to go almost anywhere, but there's still a very specific path through the game's story.

I didn't mean I wanted overly linear, just not something so complex that I'd find myself 20 hours into the game and hosed because I didn't choose the correct combinations of job and classes or whatever much earlier in the game or whatever. For example, my favourite game ever is baldur's gate 2, where you could do a ton of side quests and there was always the option to advance the main quest at one's own pace. I loved Dragon Quest 4 and 9 but tired of 6 after a few hours... And I have yet to play 5. I also liked Phantasy Star 4 very much. I dunno, just finding something particularly linear about the first 3-4 hours of final fantasy 4. Still enjoying it very much.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

BadAstronaut posted:

I didn't mean I wanted overly linear, just not something so complex that I'd find myself 20 hours into the game and hosed because I didn't choose the correct combinations of job and classes or whatever much earlier in the game or whatever. For example, my favourite game ever is baldur's gate 2, where you could do a ton of side quests and there was always the option to advance the main quest at one's own pace. I loved Dragon Quest 4 and 9 but tired of 6 after a few hours... And I have yet to play 5. I also liked Phantasy Star 4 very much. I dunno, just finding something particularly linear about the first 3-4 hours of final fantasy 4. Still enjoying it very much.

I've played through just about every FF game (IX is my favorite, represent) and I've never done that to myself. Even if you are kind of a fuckup with customization and you find yourself slightly gimped relative to a certain game area or event you can fix it pretty easily with the proper application of grit and grind. Or luck. Once, in FFX, I got completely shitcanned by a late game boss because I was absurdly low level and lacking the spell Holy. I was driven to my last character and last 100 or so hp after a 40 minute slog, and in desperation I decided to throw all my remaining gil. I happened to have just enough dirty fiat to kill the boss and win the fight.

FF6 has some elementary "open world" elements even in WoB. There are several instances (or maybe just a couple) where you get to choose which storyline to pursue first, and the game unfolds slightly differently from your perspective depending on your choice.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

That definitely sounds pretty cool - I have no doubt I will pay through FF6. I bought it on PSN and really hate the load times and delays. What's the best way to experience ff6 on modern systems?

And what was so special about ffX that it deserves an HD remake instead of the others?

Last question for now: I have ff9 as well and it's really textured and grainy on both ps3 and my PSP - is this normal?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

And what was so special about ffX that it deserves an HD remake instead of the others?

It was extremely popular in the motherland, and it was made using 3D assets that are already at a pretty decent resolution, rather than 2D renders that might not upscale nicely to a higher-resolution display (and they lost some of the high-resolution masters).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

There were two Final Fantasy games on the PS2 that anyone would likely HD port. Of the two Final Fantasy X is the most popular by a huge degree.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Where's my Dragon Quest 8 HD? :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Where's my Dragon Quest 8 HD? :colbert:

They just recently released an updated port of DQ7. Logically 8 should be next on the list. Of course, that doesn't mean it won't be a Vita/3DS game...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Frankly, portable exact-opposite-of-HD DQ8 would also be fine by me. Especially if they rebalance the weapon skills a little - Eight's abilities were pretty balanced, but the other three party members all had at least one skill set that wasn't good for much.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

BadAstronaut posted:

That definitely sounds pretty cool - I have no doubt I will pay through FF6. I bought it on PSN and really hate the load times and delays. What's the best way to experience ff6 on modern systems?

Last question for now: I have ff9 as well and it's really textured and grainy on both ps3 and my PSP - is this normal?

Yes. I remember having to turn on the smoothing options for PS2 plays. Does PS3 have a texture smoothing option for PSone Classics?

edit: FFIX is so drat good. The character development :shlick:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
ARGH (Last Remnant)

Nothing, NOTHING is more frustrating than doing the Jhana Royals secret bonus boss, wiping out all the first waves, taking about 45 minutes to whittle the goddamned boss down to critical loving health, and then having 3 quarters of your party wiped out because despite everyone having huge healing, because they spent all their healing on the summon and none on themselves, and then the last of your party dies because despite the fact that 3/4 of their team is down and they... have vivication herbs... did I run out of revive components? Is that why they couldn't bring anyone back? gently caress, I hate that boss.

EDIT: Wait... the Ala Melvilana Fusion isn't even the final BOSS of that fight? There's MORE after that? :suicide:

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 1, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Yes. I remember having to turn on the smoothing options for PS2 plays. Does PS3 have a texture smoothing option for PSone Classics?
The PS3 does not have the texture smoothing options of the PS2. Just play it on your computer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

The PS3 does not have the texture smoothing options of the PS2. Just play it on your computer.

There's a PS smoothing option, at least on my PS3.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

This is a long shot but has anyone played Tales of Xilia? I was thinking of getting a Tales game for my PS3 while I wait for Symponia, and I figured my choices are to get Grace now or wait for Xilia. Obviously Vesperia is not an option for a PS3 owner.

Or should I just skip them both?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Skip them both?

Get them both. Graces has an bad plot, but the gameplay is so much better then Symphonia.

Xillia's supposed to be pretty good too. I think the consensus is the gameplay is worse then Graces, but it's otherwise better.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ineffiable posted:

This is a long shot but has anyone played Tales of Xilia? I was thinking of getting a Tales game for my PS3 while I wait for Symponia, and I figured my choices are to get Grace now or wait for Xilia. Obviously Vesperia is not an option for a PS3 owner.

Or should I just skip them both?

Xillia is rather poor for a Tales game. It was rushed to be released on time for the anniversary, so alot of the end game feels complete. Also, there were tons of dummied items and txt as a result that I found (I was doing a translation up until shortly before it was announced as getting an official localization). You'll still enjoy it if you like Tales games, but it is overall pretty underwhelming. I didn't play Graces F so I can't compare, but it is probably the more solid choice.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cake Attack posted:

Skip them both?

Get them both. Graces has an bad plot, but the gameplay is so much better then Symphonia.

Xillia's supposed to be pretty good too. I think the consensus is the gameplay is worse then Graces, but it's otherwise better.

Well I'm getting Symphonia as a nostalgia kick as I have fond memories of it in high school. Now I'm just deciding if I want Graces or Xilia now. (and honestly, I don't know if I can get them both, there's only so many rpgs I can play in any given year) Let's just say, which one would you pick if you had to choose between Graces/Xilia?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

FF9 should have a HD Remake. Its original art was stunning but a lot of its detail was lost downscaling it for PSX.

Kild fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 2, 2013

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kild posted:

FF9 should have a HD Remake. Its original art was stunning but a lot of its detail was lost downscaling it for PSX.

Just how little of IX was actually done in Japan? Apparently even the character designs were western. (or rather body designs. Some of the faces in the concepts were drawn by a Japanese dude according to the notes).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ineffiable posted:

Well I'm getting Symphonia as a nostalgia kick as I have fond memories of it in high school. Now I'm just deciding if I want Graces or Xilia now. (and honestly, I don't know if I can get them both, there's only so many rpgs I can play in any given year) Let's just say, which one would you pick if you had to choose between Graces/Xilia?
They're both great if you're playing single player. If you want to play with friends then you may have some issues playing Xillia. If I had to choose, go with Graces since you can probably get it on discount now. Graces can keep you busier for much longer as well.

Basically you are choosing between slightly better combat/characters and lots of content (Graces) or a way better setting and much prettier graphics (Xillia). Both games are fun to play and both deliver on skits/characters when it comes to Tales. Xillia ultimately has less content because of a much smaller end/post game (this is where the rushed argument comes in) and that its non-main characters aren't really the most fleshed out combat-wise (still quite playable, especially Leia).

The end game is incomplete complaint is kind of disingenuous. There's a perfectly complete ending and the plot is all there. It's just one of those end games where you kind of wish there were more things to do since the game is pretty great.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I can't get Exit Fate or Last Scenario to work. The RGSS player pops up as a black window, then needs to have process end tasked to close. I've tried running it in different compatibility modes but no luck. I love Suikoden so this makes me very sad :(

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Kild posted:

This bums me out. I just want to be there and explore the whole place. That looks 1000x better than the ff9 I've seen on my PSP and ps3. :(

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Fucken double post

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I remember trying the Two Worlds 2 demo when it first came out and not bothering with it since the demo was like 90% tutorial and made the game seem so boring and generic.

Maybe I was just burnt out from all the action RPGs that came out at around the time. The Witcher, Amalur, Gothic 4, Risen, Skyrim, Divinity 2, the list just goes on.

Anyway, I decided to give it a shot again and powered on through the opening area and I'm glad I did. The next area you go to is a huge Savanna grassland and it's just gorgeous. I've spent the last few hours just roaming around killing ostriches and cheetahs and getting chased by rhinos.

I don't know how the rest of the game will hold up, but so far its definitely the first 3rd person RPG for me to capture the same sense of exploration as Gothic 1 & 2.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Vakal posted:

I remember trying the Two Worlds 2 demo when it first came out and not bothering with it since the demo was like 90% tutorial and made the game seem so boring and generic.

Maybe I was just burnt out from all the action RPGs that came out at around the time. The Witcher, Amalur, Gothic 4, Risen, Skyrim, Divinity 2, the list just goes on.

Anyway, I decided to give it a shot again and powered on through the opening area and I'm glad I did. The next area you go to is a huge Savanna grassland and it's just gorgeous. I've spent the last few hours just roaming around killing ostriches and cheetahs and getting chased by rhinos.

I don't know how the rest of the game will hold up, but so far its definitely the first 3rd person RPG for me to capture the same sense of exploration as Gothic 1 & 2.

I had no idea it turned out any better than the incredibly boring tutorial. I'll have to give it another shot myself.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Last Remnant (PC version) gives you a really slow and limited leader character selection at the start, and the later ones seem better, but unfortunately, by the time you can get them, all the not-so-good characters have leveled up their stats and arts so much that the new, better characters seem too far behind to use. Most of the quests in the first half expire, so you can't hold off on doing those after you get access to the "Disc 2" party members.

Take Loki and Yuniver for example. I've had Loki for a long time since early on, and while maybe I didn't level him as efficiently as I could have, most of his stats are only on par or worse than Yuniver's at recruitment time about 3/4 of the way through the game. But his HP and AP are much higher and all his Artes are better as well.

Would it work to disband all my unions, make a new one with a bunch of weak characters I want to "level up" and go fight weaker enemies to get bonuses for stats and art usage? Or would trying to do that just pump up my BR anyway?

Also, is it possible to beat The Fallen quest on a first playthrough, if you haven't learned the super-awesome AP-reducing Hex? I'm at BR 74.

EDIT: Argh, why, why does the AI prioritize worthless GUEST UNIONS for Revival? They're never, ever helpful in combat, but I have to revive them immediately after they go down, wasting a turn, because even if one of my actual, helpful unions is down, the "Bring them Back!" option will only prioritize the loving guest union. Let the worthless guest union lie there dead, please. Bring back something that can withstand a hit AND deal actual damage!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 2, 2013

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I had no idea it turned out any better than the incredibly boring tutorial. I'll have to give it another shot myself.

Yeah, it is such a baffling bad design choice.

The game world so far seems absolute massive, but they hid it behind a solid hour of talking heads in generic dungeons.

I'm not sure what the consoles version are like, but on the PC in DX10 mode the game is gorgeous and runs smooth as silk.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What's regarded as the best way to play final fantasy 3/6 for those who have never played it before? I asked this a few pages back but didn't see any replies... I have a 3DS, PS3, PSP and DS lite at my disposal. I've seen many remade or rereleased on android and iOS. Anyone heard any word about 3/6 being remade?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FF6 isn't very popular in Japan, from what I remember, so a remake looks unlikely.

The best version is probably either the SNES original or the GBA port. The PS1 port can be downloaded onto your PS3, but it's, in a word, bad. It's got ridiculous load times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

What's regarded as the best way to play final fantasy 3/6 for those who have never played it before? I asked this a few pages back but didn't see any replies... I have a 3DS, PS3, PSP and DS lite at my disposal. I've seen many remade or rereleased on android and iOS. Anyone heard any word about 3/6 being remade?

6 will probably be ported to the iOS next, 5 was the last one. It'll be a straight port of the GBA with updated visuals if the previous are anything to go offa.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The GBA version has added optional content, but I recall it having some kind of issue. But I don't remember what it was.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

BadAstronaut posted:

There hasn't been any talk about a smartphone release of 6, and as Endorph says, Japan doesn't really like 6 so I wouldn't hope for one to come out until SE actually says something.

Given your options, get the GBA version. The PS1 version is playable and the load times aren't THAT awful, but still it should be a last resort.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

FF6 isn't very popular in Japan, from what I remember, so a remake looks unlikely.

The best version is probably either the SNES original or the GBA port. The PS1 port can be downloaded onto your PS3, but it's, in a word, bad. It's got ridiculous load times.
No the FF6 and FF5 remakes are unlikely due to "technical problems" if you trust the official Square people. There was hope that a new announcing/clarification following the opening of the All The Bravest web site would come but there was nothing (everyone had secretly hoped that ATB would be a FF6 port/remake).

Translation: there are difficulties in porting FF5/FF6 to iOS. They're either too big or they've since lost some of the assets/code.

^ Who says Japan didn't like 6? It has 2.5 million sales. Compared to FF5's 2.4 million and FF4's 1.4 million. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

The GBA version has added optional content, but I recall it having some kind of issue. But I don't remember what it was.
They retooled the translation. It's probably a more accurate one, but it lost some of the charm of the original.

EDIT: Also the sales don't really mean much, it's more about the Japanese view of the games. The Japanese have a huge nostalgia boner for 4, like how the west has a huge nostalgia boner for 6.