Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tunga posted:

On that note, the stock keyboard is completely unusable in landscape mode so I need to find something that works better.
I thought so too, then I realized I could touch-type on it like a real keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I thought so too, then I realized I could touch-type on it like a real keyboard.
How do you hold the tablet while you do this? I guess it depends where you are sat (or perhaps not sat).

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 30, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Tunga posted:

How do you hold the tablet while you do this? I guess it depends where you at sat (or perhaps not sat).
You mean you don't have three arms? If I'm typing in landscape mode, the tablet is in my lap. If I'm laying in bed or on the couch I have it propped up against my legs. Which I guess is like a lap.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Thermopyle posted:

What would be a good tablet whose sole duty will be playing Play Music or Spotify on a stereo via bluetooth. It will sit in place on top of entertainment center and be touched only to select music and stuff related to that.

Cheaper is better, but I don't want something with a piece of poo poo screen that won't respond well to touch input. As much as I always recommend the N7 for people looking for a cheap tablet, it seems like maybe this is one of those niche use cases where a cheap chinese tablet will work great. Maybe?

If a cheap chinese tablet would work, I know nothing about them and don't know which one would work well. And by "work well", I mean has bluetooth that functions and a screen that responds to touch input reliably.

I guess a 10"-class tablet would be better just so that it's easier to see what's playing from across the room, but whatever.

Maybe the N7 is still the best idea here...someone who has messed around with cheap tablets might be able to say more.

I'll sell you my N7. Haven't used it since I picked up my iPad and wouldn't mind getting rid of it. Honestly can't remember if I have the 16 or 32 gig model but I'll undercut ebay for you if you want it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rotaryfun posted:

I'll sell you my N7. Haven't used it since I picked up my iPad and wouldn't mind getting rid of it. Honestly can't remember if I have the 16 or 32 gig model but I'll undercut ebay for you if you want it.

That is a kind offer, fellow internetter. I'll get back with you after I make it to Walmart and check out those cheap tablets they have...

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

How much are you looking to get for it?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Realistically, what are the chances of an N7 refresh in June or July? I keep seeing nonsense about it on this site and that, but I have no clue which Android sites could be considered reliable and which ones aren't

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Realistically, what are the chances of an N7 refresh in June or July? I keep seeing nonsense about it on this site and that, but I have no clue which Android sites could be considered reliable and which ones aren't

Flip a coin.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The N7 was released in july of last year, odds are good.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
This is probably a pretty weird usecase but I need to take notes on a Google Doc for a meeting and I figure my Nexus 7 + wireless keyboard would work better than having to buy a laptop. It isn't super intensive word processing (likely just a few paragraphs), but I'd much rather do it with a proper keyboard than with the tablet software keyboard.

Is there anything like that people would recommend?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Tunga posted:

On that note, the stock keyboard is completely unusable in landscape
I got my N10 one day after you. I guess it's contagious.

I impulse bought Swype a few weeks ago when it was put on the Play Store and given a temporary sale, so I installed it and put it in "split" mode. It works great in either horizontal or (just slightly better in) vertical. I need to eventually buy SwiftKey and contrast it's similar mode, but I'm hoping there will be a sale before I pay off my N10 because I'm poor for the next month!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

fookolt posted:

This is probably a pretty weird usecase but I need to take notes on a Google Doc for a meeting and I figure my Nexus 7 + wireless keyboard would work better than having to buy a laptop. It isn't super intensive word processing (likely just a few paragraphs), but I'd much rather do it with a proper keyboard than with the tablet software keyboard.

Is there anything like that people would recommend?

If you are only going to use it once or twice then there are a ton of sub $20 tablet keyboards on Amazon that will probably work just fine. I wanted something that would last while traveling so I bought this keyboard to use with my Nexus 7 and it's really nice. The included case/stand is sturdy and the keys aren't horrible poo poo (Asus laptop I'm looking at you).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
edit: wrong thread

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 31, 2013

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

I got my N10 one day after you. I guess it's contagious.

I impulse bought Swype a few weeks ago when it was put on the Play Store and given a temporary sale, so I installed it and put it in "split" mode. It works great in either horizontal or (just slightly better in) vertical. I need to eventually buy SwiftKey and contrast it's similar mode, but I'm hoping there will be a sale before I pay off my N10 because I'm poor for the next month!

SwiftKey tablet is pretty fantastic in split mode. It's arguably the best app purchase I've made for my n7.

Completely unrelated- does anyone know of a super amoled 7" android tablet besides the galaxy tab 7.7? The screen on the n7 is good, but not great.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 31, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

8th-samurai posted:

If you are only going to use it once or twice then there are a ton of sub $20 tablet keyboards on Amazon that will probably work just fine. I wanted something that would last while traveling so I bought this keyboard to use with my Nexus 7 and it's really nice. The included case/stand is sturdy and the keys aren't horrible poo poo (Asus laptop I'm looking at you).

That looks really nice; is there anything like that keyboard that also has an integrated case/stand for the N7?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Thermopyle posted:

That is a kind offer, fellow internetter. I'll get back with you after I make it to Walmart and check out those cheap tablets they have...

Tigren posted:

How much are you looking to get for it?

It's a 32 gig. It's rooted with CM on it and of course that can be easily reverted back to stock if you'd like.

I think $160 shipped is a fair price? I'll give Thermo dibs but if he doesn't get back to me by the end of the weekend, it's yours if you want it Tigren.

email is shoafer0 at gmail dot com so we don't fill up the thread with sale chat.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

o muerte posted:

Completely unrelated- does anyone know of a super amoled 7" android tablet besides the galaxy tab 7.7? The screen on the n7 is good, but not great.

There have only been two released with OLED around that size, both discontinued far as I know. Toshiba Excite 7.7 is the other option. They actually dumped their remaining stock on eBay just a couple of weeks ago at Nexus 7 prices, sorry you missed it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nexus 7 for $159 plus get a $20 gift card at staples today only. Use the officemax 20% off coupon on OfficeMax.com at staples.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

My wife's Nexus 10 freezes up every day or two and she has to reboot it. It's not rooted, and she doesn't have anything all that resource intensive other than Chrome running on it. Googling seems to indicate that this is a common thing. Is there a known fix, or is that just the Android Experience?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Loucks posted:

My wife's Nexus 10 freezes up every day or two and she has to reboot it. It's not rooted, and she doesn't have anything all that resource intensive other than Chrome running on it. Googling seems to indicate that this is a common thing. Is there a known fix, or is that just the Android Experience?

I haven't ever had that happen, but I'd expect a factory reset could help. If that fails, since you've got a Nexus you can relatively easily reflash the stock software, which could also possibly help. If that also doesn't help, if you bought it direct from Google, you can likely RMA it pretty painlessly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Loucks posted:

This happened to me maybe every couple of weeks in 4.2.1, I haven't gotten it in 4.2.2. If I remember right, it only happened when actively using Chrome. There was an issue opened on it back in November.
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39879

JBQ closed it saying it was device specific, but only did it 2 days ago, saying it was in the wrong forum. Here's the new issue opened in the proper place:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/VFYnt7uN9d0%5B201-225-false%5D
I'm sure it will go ignored as well.

e: fixed link

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 3, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

JBQ closed it saying it was device specific, but only did it 2 days ago, saying it was in the wrong forum.

Yeah, they did a lot of these recently. I think a lot of them were wrongly classified as wrong forum, but oh well Google.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
OfficeMax has a 20% off coupon this week (June 2-8) which isn't good on much, including computers (read the hilarious restrictions, which take up half the coupon), but apparently is good on tablets:

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/2013/23/0531_060813_MegaDeals_20OFF_FW23_Cpn_OMX.pdf

So you can get a Nexus 7 32GB for $200 or a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 for $320, a bit less than an iPad Mini.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/03/asus-transformer-pad-infinity/

quote:

Promising to transform our devices and our lives, Jonny Shih revealed the Transformer Pad Infinity to a packed press room here at Computex 2013. Its 10.1-inch screen packs a potent 2,560 x 1,600 resolution, alongside a quad-core Tegra 4 chip clocked at 1.9GHz, USB 3.0 port, Bluetooth 3.0 and, whoa, 4K output via HDMI. There's 32GB of internal storage, residing inside a spun metallic-finished that's very similar to the current Zenbook series and last-gen Infinity Tablets, while you'll get an SD slot through its companion dock too. We're waiting on more specifics -- we'll update here when we hear 'em.

Assuming there's no weird build problems or I/O issues with substandard NAND or whatever like with the TF700, this looks like everything I wanted in a tablet.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The main thing that would give me pause there would be the processor.

I certainly hope that the Tegra 4 provides a hassle-free experience, because Tegra 2 and 3 certainly haven't.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

anakha posted:

The main thing that would give me pause there would be the processor.

I certainly hope that the Tegra 4 provides a hassle-free experience, because Tegra 2 and 3 certainly haven't.

Tegra 3 seemed to be fine on the Nexus 7, but the TF700 had that NAND issue :(

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

o muerte posted:

SwiftKey tablet is pretty fantastic in split mode. It's arguably the best app purchase I've made for my n7.

The dictionary isn't as good, but Thumb Keyboard is slightly better to use than the SwiftKey one. It's also the layout that pretty much everyone has copied for their apps.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those specs seem pretty similar to the Nexus 10 overall, except with an optional keyboard dock / SD slot? I mean, it sounds like a nice device, but it's probably going to cost 50% more than the N10 does.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

fookolt posted:

Tegra 3 seemed to be fine on the Nexus 7, but the TF700 had that NAND issue :(

The 3G Nexus 7, as well as several Tegra 3 phones, seems to have an issue with cell antenna-related wakelocks.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The ASUS MemoPad was announced. 7" 1280x800, quad-core SoC, rear camera and SD slot, and it's $150, so I'm going to go ahead and call it the first tablet cheaper than a Nexus 7 worth getting. Until we get reports of it falling apart or whatever.

Hopefully this means the Nexus 7 refresh is right around the corner.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The ASUS MemoPad was announced. 7" 1280x800, quad-core SoC, rear camera and SD slot, and it's $150, so I'm going to go ahead and call it the first tablet cheaper than a Nexus 7 worth getting. Until we get reports of it falling apart or whatever.

Too bad it ships with 4.0 though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This is the one I might pick up for myself. I was reading it uses a Mediatek SoC though. I remember a goon or goons saying Mediatek is poo poo.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

anakha posted:

Too bad it ships with 4.0 though.
Ah, didn't see that on the site I was looking at. That's bullshit. I also haven't found out what kind of SoC it has so it might be garbage like an allwinner or rockchip.

e: ^^^^^^^^^ well there you go.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Except the sero7 pro is $150 and tegra 3 already, with a rear camera and SD slot.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Except the sero7 pro is $150 and tegra 3 already, with a rear camera and SD slot.
Isn't that the one with the 1024x600 screen?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

No, that's it's cheaper, lovely brother. The Pro has a 1280x800 screen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That's the $99 one.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
the Tegra 4 is supposed to put all current chips to shame, including the Octa in the N10.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

the Tegra 4 is supposed to put all current chips to shame, including the Octa in the N10.
I should hope so, since the N10 has a dual-core A15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

fookolt posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/03/asus-transformer-pad-infinity/

Assuming there's no weird build problems or I/O issues with substandard NAND or whatever like with the TF700, this looks like everything I wanted in a tablet.

I'm cautiously optimistic too, except that we've been playing "the NEXT one is gonna be the one to get!" game with the Transformer series for so long now that I fear they will still find a way to screw it up.