Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Astus posted:

You know, this is a pretty flawed version of the Prisoner's Dilemma, because
... <snip> ...
So, we're left with a game that at first glance looks like it is encouraging the group to back-stab each other to get ahead, but is actually punishing anyone stupid enough to push betray. Unless there's another gimmick, which there might well be.

If this Nonary game is anything like the last one, then you're probably right. The game in 999 appeared to encourage people to kill each other so that only a few could get out the last door, but it was actually designed to save all 9 players (except for two who I guess didn't count). Having this game actually be a trick where betrayal seems right - but isn't - would be right in line with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I wonder if any of the participants have knowledge of game theory. In a purely theoretical way, the dominant strategy for both of them is to betray, however, there is more to life than pure self interest. It is interesting to note that the game is not zero-sum.

Also, supposing we choose Ally and Moongirl chooses Betray, next time we choose who to team up with, we would team up with someone who also previously chose Ally, and let her go with whatever group chose to also betray.

Medieval Medic fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 2, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Astus posted:

You know, this is a pretty flawed version of the Prisoner's Dilemma, because choosing betray(outside of using Dr. Stab's plan) is the worst possible thing you can do. Mainly because it's instantly obvious who chose betray, and because they'll have to play the game more than once. Imagine if after ratting out the other guy, the prisoners were all left in the same room, told which one of them betrayed the others, and were asked to play nice while they set up the next game.

If we betray Luna, and she chooses ally, then who the hell is going to trust us next game? They'll just choose betray, because either it'll do nothing, or we'd lose 2 of the three points we got. And those who choose ally can keep allying with others to increase their points, knowing that anyone who chooses betray can be ganged up on in the next game.

And if it becomes known that knocking someone down to 0 BP kills them, then it's not like anyone is going to choose betray against someone with 2 or less BP, because then they'd be murderers and have even worse trust issues with the others.

So, we're left with a game that at first glance looks like it is encouraging the group to back-stab each other to get ahead, but is actually punishing anyone stupid enough to push betray. Unless there's another gimmick, which there might well be.

This all makes a lot of sense, but it's possible to talk your way out of this situation, at least after the first time you do it (if you consistently pick betray, I think people will catch on quick). If you're in a pair, you can argue that your partner hit the button before you could stop them, and anyone who believes you may be willing to ally with you the next round. You may also be able to convince the others that you only picked betray because you specifically don't trust the person you were playing against.

But I agree that the best choice (for the first round, at least) is to pick "ally," in order to ensure you don't immediately lose the trust of every other player. It may be possible to talk your way out of it, but there's no guarantee anyone will believe your excuse.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just beat the game a few days ago! While I do have my own thoughts about how it compares to 999, it is still a great game that I do not regret playing, and it looks like this LP will do it justice.

EDIT: I do look forward to discussing the enigma that is Sigma's hideous T-Shirt.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 2, 2013

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Yeah, so this is a pretty well-discussed problem. Even if betray is effectively zero-risk to you, it makes it really hard to get any further ahead for everybody. Selecting betray even once sets a precedent like nothing else and makes it hard for anyone to pick ally again - which means you're stuck at the "everyone gets zero" instead of "everyone profits".

Also hah, zero sum games, zero escape, I see what the writers were doing here.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
In this case, the overall numerical results don't favour betray, especially if you want to get everyone out.

There are a few snags though:

As Phi says, one cant be sure if anyone is really going to betray or ally. From a self defense standpoint, it might be more prudent to avoid losing BP. Even if it doesnt take one down to 0 on the first go, it leaves one open to a later betrayal. If people start getting BP now it would be harder to kill them in the future. The higher one's BP gets the more it takes to bring one down to death level - unless they change the ambidex game later.

And if 999 is any indication, there definitely may be people who want to kill. So far very little has been revealed and aside from a door decision which had little impact. Luna could just be acting right now, for example, much like Ace had a quite dramatic character shift.

A person might be able to make an excuse for the betrayal as well - "I panicked, I was afraid, etc" - though it might be flimsy.

All it takes is a seed of distrust or fear for one to want to choose the selfish option in the prisoners dilemma, even if one isn't inherently selfish.

For the first one though I still think its safer to choose Ally though, yeah. We'll see how that pans out though.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

booksnake posted:

Also hah, zero sum games, zero escape, I see what the writers were doing here.

:eng101: This is not a zero-sum game. In a zero sum game we would be competing directly for eachother's points. Everyone has 3 right now, so in a zero-sum game those 27 points would be all the points we ever get. You'd have to compete to be one of the maximum 3 people who gets 9 points and leaves.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
For the math thing on the previous page, you can't think of it as +6, because you're locked in with your pair for the whole game.

It's not that Sigma gets a +2 and Phi gets a +2, rather Sigma/Phi get a single +2. The split changes would come in to play if you could change your pair, but as far as I know, you can't do that, so it's only a +4 change for Ally/Ally, and all the rest.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

beru04 posted:

For the math thing on the previous page, you can't think of it as +6, because you're locked in with your pair for the whole game.

I really hope the pairs change up or something, because then we're just stuck with Phi and Luna/Alice/Tenmyouji for the rest of the game. That's pretty limited compared to 999.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
I'm mostly curious how, if we're remaining with "Red, Green, and Blue" colors, how they cast is going to go through the second set of chromatic doors. Unless everyone goes into their own color.
Edit: I saw them in one of the exploration posts. This is not a spoiler or anything, I haven't bought the game yet.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Added Space posted:

:eng101: This is not a zero-sum game. In a zero sum game we would be competing directly for eachother's points. Everyone has 3 right now, so in a zero-sum game those 27 points would be all the points we ever get. You'd have to compete to be one of the maximum 3 people who gets 9 points and leaves.

Ooh. Hurr. Game theory and lots of the word zero and brain jumps to correlate them. :pseudo:

Color Printer posted:

I really hope the pairs change up or something, because then we're just stuck with Phi and Luna/Alice/Tenmyouji for the rest of the game. That's pretty limited compared to 999.

Gotta be, right? Like, if one of the solos died right off here, that would close off even more options for doors!

What I mean is, it'd be a lovely design for a game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

booksnake posted:

Gotta be, right? Like, if one of the solos died right off here, that would close off even more options for doors!

What I mean is, it'd be a lovely design for a game.

You can at most lose 2 points in one round, so since everyone starts with 3 it's impossible to die in the first round.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

booksnake posted:

Not if it works the way it did in 999, where the bracelet comes off when the player dies and functions as the live player did for the purposes of entering doors.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

beru04 posted:

you're locked in with your pair for the whole game.

Where'd you get that idea? Nobody said that.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

distactedOne posted:

Where'd you get that idea? Nobody said that.

Zero III has been saying it quite clearly all along with the "shared destiny" lines.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Sorites posted:

Zero III has been saying it quite clearly all along with the "shared destiny" lines.

Yeah, that was my basic assumption.

One more thing I'm wondering, I may have missed something previously, but why does Sigma say that if they don't vote then it'll automatically vote for Ally? I didn't see any mention of that from Zero III.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

beru04 posted:

One more thing I'm wondering, I may have missed something previously, but why does Sigma say that if they don't vote then it'll automatically vote for Ally? I didn't see any mention of that from Zero III.

The announcer said that.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Sorites posted:

"Shared destiny" could just as easily be "for now" as "forever".

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

distactedOne posted:

"Shared destiny" could just as easily be "for now" as "forever".

Destinies: Fleeting and mutable.

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

distactedOne posted:

If we assume we want all 9 players out, we want to gain as many total points as possible.

Ally/Ally is +6 points, Betray/Betray is a waste of a round.

For Ally/Betray, if the pair is the traitor, that's +4 in total. If the solo backstabs, it's -1.

There's just no reason to betray. Assuming we want all 9 players out.
If you just want to get yourself out, you can hypothetically escape in two rounds
, blah blah things already said by others.

I don't know what Phi is thinking, acting like betrayal is the rational option.

If it were me, I'd chuck my AB card in the trash and let the system automatically ally.

There lies the dilemma - you can't be sure your opponent isn't thinking this exact thing, again making betray the only "safe" option.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Astus posted:

You know, this is a pretty flawed version of the Prisoner's Dilemma, because choosing betray(outside of using Dr. Stab's plan) is the worst possible thing you can do. Mainly because it's instantly obvious who chose betray, and because they'll have to play the game more than once. Imagine if after ratting out the other guy, the prisoners were all left in the same room, told which one of them betrayed the others, and were asked to play nice while they set up the next game.

If we betray Luna, and she chooses ally, then who the hell is going to trust us next game? They'll just choose betray, because either it'll do nothing, or we'd lose 2 of the three points we got. And those who choose ally can keep allying with others to increase their points, knowing that anyone who chooses betray can be ganged up on in the next game.

And if it becomes known that knocking someone down to 0 BP kills them, then it's not like anyone is going to choose betray against someone with 2 or less BP, because then they'd be murderers and have even worse trust issues with the others.

But you have to think about how it ties into the Nonary game as a whole.

Getting up to 9 BP requires either 3 successful alliances or 2 successful betrayals. So in a race to get 9 BP there is an incentive to betray, allying will get you the points safely but you'll lose out if ANYBODY successfully betrays (not just your "opponent" for the ambidex game). Plus if you're only playing 2 games then betraying might work even though it's a terrible strategy in the long term.

And frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the bracelets lied at some point or another. That seems like the kind of dick move team Zero might come up with and we had lying bracelets in 999.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Elite posted:

And frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the bracelets lied at some point or another. That seems like the kind of dick move team Zero might come up with and we had lying bracelets in 999.

Everyone who had a lying bracelet knew that, though. The deception was only on the other players.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Elite posted:

But you have to think about how it ties into the Nonary game as a whole.

Getting up to 9 BP requires either 3 successful alliances or 2 successful betrayals. So in a race to get 9 BP there is an incentive to betray, allying will get you the points safely but you'll lose out if ANYBODY successfully betrays (not just your "opponent" for the ambidex game). Plus if you're only playing 2 games then betraying might work even though it's a terrible strategy in the long term.

That's a good point. To ally you not only have to trust your opponent for the AB Game, but you have to trust every other player not to betray a couple of times and get to 9 BP. The 9 door only opens once, so trying to make sure you have enough BP to get through as quickly as possible is a good plan. If you ally even once, you'll be forced to play at least two more AB Games to get to 9 BP, and anyone who betrayed on the first round could potentially get another 3BP and escape before you have a chance to catch up.

Allying is a good plan to avoid losing trust, but it's riskier than choosing betray in many ways.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

beru04 posted:

Fedule posted:

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Fallord posted:

There lies the dilemma - you can't be sure your opponent isn't thinking this exact thing, again making betray the only "safe" option.

Except you're planning on selecting betray twice, in a row, when everyone already knows you picked betray last time. Basically, there is zero chance that your second match-up won't pick betray if you selected betray in the first game.

Which means, you'd still need at least 3 games to get out. Might as well Ally-up, it's the easiest, least risky, and all-around better option.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
The biggest problem I see is that one person is Zero. That means that at some point (most likely at the end of the game) that person will betray their opponent and get out, screwing everyone else.

This is, of course, assuming that Zero is one of the group.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The optimal solution in Prisoner's Dilemma would be to ally first, then copy the other side? And the game doesn't offer that much for betraying the other party? And we'd lose trust and set a bad precedent?

If that's the case, betray, obviously. We're going down in flames, starting with the worst ending in the game :v:

"I want to observe the balance of power shifting."

VVV: Welp, didn't catch that, thanks.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 3, 2013

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
So, between the earlier choice of door and now this, there's six possible outcomes at this point in the game. We're shaping up to have a ton of variables. I can't wait to see what changes depending on who stabs who in the back. :allears:

beru04
May 4, 2013

Well that would explain why Zero III never said it... :derp:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Keep in mind, guys, outside of cases like Clover and Alice, most of these people are complete strangers. K is even more of a stranger, because you can't tell what K's gender is, and you don't have K's real name, either.

Can you really trust these people?

EDIT: In the interest of full disclosure, I have played the game, so to be clear, I'm not trying to influence your decisions here. I'm just curious.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 3, 2013

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Pierzak posted:

The optimal solution in Prisoner's Dilemma would be to ally first, then copy the other side? And the game doesn't offer that much for betraying the other party? And we'd lose trust and set a bad precedent?

If that's the case, choose BETRAY, obviously. We're going down in flames, starting with the worst ending in the game :v:

"I want to observe the balance of power shifting."
We aren't doing the voting here, it's offsite, Fedule posted a link in the previous page and said explicitly not to vote in the thread.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dr. Stab posted:

The game is kinda broken in emulating the prisoner dilemma, since there's a strategy we can employ that does not require any trust on the part of the participants. Since a betray/ally still results in a net gain of points, and a betray/betray results in no net loss of points, if the players agree beforehand to always choose betray/ally (such that the person with the fewest points chooses betray so that nobody will ever die), then eventually everyone will get enough points.

I might be misinterpreting what you're trying to say, but I think there might be a problem in your reasoning.

If someone says "Hey, I'll choose ally" and then chooses betray while the other person chooses ally, then they successfully conned that person and put them closer to death.

Color Printer posted:

As for Luna....

Well now I'm just imagining Luna laughing maniacally and slamming her hand down on the "BETRAY" button. It's a pretty funny image.

If I were more clever, I'd be able to turn that into a joke about medical malpractice.

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

Astus posted:

Except you're planning on selecting betray twice, in a row, when everyone already knows you picked betray last time. Basically, there is zero chance that your second match-up won't pick betray if you selected betray in the first game.

Not necessarily; your opponent might "turn up" dead, you could put the blame of the betrayal on your partner, etc. Besides, if you get betrayed round one and end up at 1 BP, you would still hit a betray/betray cycle (since they know you will betray to protect yourself).

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but, as the rules stand now, there is a solution to all of this: everyone could agree to just not enter the AB rooms.

Fallord fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 3, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another problem is that no one knew what the game was until they got into the room. So they could not all just agree to ally.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Fallord posted:

Not necessarily; your opponent might "turn up" dead, you could put the blame of the betrayal on your partner, etc. Besides, if you get betrayed round one and end up at 1 BP, you would still hit a betray/betray cycle (since they know you will betray to protect yourself).

But what if they don't? What if you choose betray, expecting them to protect themselves by betraying, and then they pick ally? Their death would be entirely your fault. You'd be a murderer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I might be misinterpreting what you're trying to say, but I think there might be a problem in your reasoning.

If someone says "Hey, I'll choose ally" and then chooses betray while the other person chooses ally, then they successfully conned that person and put them closer to death.

His idea, assume no limit on matches played.
"A, ally this round, B will betray you."
result: A at 1, B at 6.
"B, ally this round, A will betray you"
B at 4, A at 4, net gain 1 over start.

The idea here is that if you say "A and B, ally" then everyone gets out faster, but A and B can each individually gain if they switch. This method designates whose turn it is to get screwed over, so it's more resistant to sudden twists. If A is supposed to ally and betrays instead, B does not gain but he does not lose, and the round repeats. If B is supposed to betray and decides to be trusting, both folks gain in a pleasant surprise.

Since advancement is uneven, it relies on whichever one hits 9 first not leaving through the door. It also requires fully rational actors (though less reliant on that than the "everyone pick Ally" method, which requires rational and group-focused). Once someone starts deviating, everything breaks down anyway.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Of course, since the people here had no chance to coordinate, mostly don't know each other, and are stressed out because they've been kidnapped, any "rational actor" discussion is out the window and the good money's on resorting to cannibalism by the third round.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bruceski posted:

His idea, assume no limit on matches played.
"A, ally this round, B will betray you."
result: A at 1, B at 6.
"B, ally this round, A will betray you"
B at 4, A at 4, net gain 1 over start.

The idea here is that if you say "A and B, ally" then everyone gets out faster, but A and B can each individually gain if they switch. This method designates whose turn it is to get screwed over, so it's more resistant to sudden twists. If A is supposed to ally and betrays instead, B does not gain but he does not lose, and the round repeats. If B is supposed to betray and decides to be trusting, both folks gain in a pleasant surprise.

Since advancement is uneven, it relies on whichever one hits 9 first not leaving through the door. It also requires fully rational actors (though less reliant on that than the "everyone pick Ally" method, which requires rational and group-focused). Once someone starts deviating, everything breaks down anyway.

but because it's slower someone else leaves having gotten 9.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Between the presence of a murderer and that of the real Zero hidden among them, why would you count on there even being a third round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Another tricky element to the game is that the reward for high numbers and the penalty for low numbers aren't equivalent.

Gain points: Closer to escaping, but we don't know how much closer, since it hasn't been stated (unless I missed it) how many rounds there are going to be. Gaining points slowly and steadily could be a viable strategy, or it could be suicide.

Lose points: Death.

• Locked thread