Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Anyone know swimming pool stuff? Am I dumb to be spending up to $450 or so to setup a sand filter and saltwater system for a $400 18 foot (7600 gallon) metal frame pool?

Wife, I, kids and all their friends love the poo poo out of the pool and we will definitely buy another bigger one when this one wears out. I am also completely against the idea of any permanent pool.

It uses $5 paper filters now that suck rear end and have to be washed off with a hose when the pump slows down to nothing twice a day during normal operation. If you're vacuuming you have to wash the filter off multiple times too. Washing the filter off means getting out of the pool (if vacuuming from inside) walking back to the house to cut the power, pulling filter from skimmer (ejecting all kinds of crap out the skimmer into the pool), washing the filter, re-installing filter, walk back to house to turn on power. This makes vacuuming a huge chore that gets done a lot less than it should.

I'd guess we put about $10 a week into buying paper filters and chlorine, if we keep the pool up 16 weeks a year = $160. With the sand filter salt system we'd spend nothing on chlorine or filters, vacuuming lots easier, lots cleaner pool and looks like $25/year on the salt.

Vvv they will look better for sure if you do. Mist water on the leaves will make things easier. We have always had plant-services people come into work once or twice a week and they even have some type of wax they put on. Vvv

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Do you have to dust houseplants?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tarepanda posted:

Do you have to dust houseplants?

Water them from the top instead of right by the soil and nope.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I have auto-upload enabled from the photos and videos I take on my Android phone to my Google Plus account.

Does anyone know if there's a way to upload a video from my Google Plus account directly to Youtube? Or do I have to go back to my phone and do it from there?

V V V Annoying...especially since the videos that get auto-uploaded look like they're already Youtube videos...same interface and whatnot. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 2, 2013

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
As far as I can tell, you can only do it in the other direction (share your Youtube videos on your G+ page).

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Is there a name for the shorts that women wear that have a really high waistline, like up to the bellybutton sometimes? They have that really retro look, like something you would wear to the beach in the 50s.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Ror posted:

Is there a name for the shorts that women wear that have a really high waistline, like up to the bellybutton sometimes? They have that really retro look, like something you would wear to the beach in the 50s.
As far as I know they're just "high-waisted shorts". Could class as "jorts" if they're denim. They make women's hips look horrible, it's one of those trends that women love and guys hate.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Hoops posted:

They make women's hips look horrible, it's one of those trends that women love and guys hate.

Men hate them? I'm a man, and I prefer them to the hip-hugger muffin-top look.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Katy Perry seems to make them look really really good.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
They're mom-jeans except they're shorts. They look ok on some women, terrible on most. Everything looks good on Katy Perry so that's a non-issue.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I was thinking of making a ask thread here about Social Services to help goons get social services, such as food stamps etc.. but I don't know if I should put it in the main ask forum or the financial forum. I'm also wondering if people would even be interested in something like that. It'd just be a helpful thread for people to find out about social services and get help.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So there's a word I'm looking for but I can't find a way to google what it means to find it. I'm hoping one of you goons can help me.

Here we have a balancing scale with pans and slots along the arm. Each slot is numbered. Now the term I'm looking for is for an odd balancing trick. You put a weight on slot ten on the left arm. And then you put some weight on the right arm but you spread it out on a few slots. Say 3, 5, and 6.

Now the weight on the left side does not equal the weight on the right side but because of how the weight is dispersed on the right side, the scale ends up balanced. Is there a word that describes this?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Volume posted:

Is there a word that describes this?
Mechanical advantage/leverage?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Volume posted:

So there's a word I'm looking for but I can't find a way to google what it means to find it. I'm hoping one of you goons can help me.

Here we have a balancing scale with pans and slots along the arm. Each slot is numbered. Now the term I'm looking for is for an odd balancing trick. You put a weight on slot ten on the left arm. And then you put some weight on the right arm but you spread it out on a few slots. Say 3, 5, and 6.

Now the weight on the left side does not equal the weight on the right side but because of how the weight is dispersed on the right side, the scale ends up balanced. Is there a word that describes this?
Torque, or "moment of force", which is force * (distance from fulcrum), is balanced in that case. There are things sometimes called "mobiles" that show off what can appear to be an odd, precarious balance made by taking advantage of different masses and distances.

I don't know a word other than "balance" that means what you describe, but maybe searching some of the words I mentioned will lead to what you're looking for?

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

randyest posted:

I don't know a word other than "balance" that means what you describe, but maybe searching some of the words I mentioned will lead to what you're looking for?

Physics answer is Moments, the 2 forces are in equilibrium if they are balanced.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Croisquessein posted:

I am an insomniac and I'm looking for an audio sleep aid that has a low-pitched sound like a refrigerator hum or clothes dryer, but while I find a lot of white noise apps on iTunes I can't find one with a low sound. Does anybody know where I can download a sound file that fits the description? Just a very low, deep hum that I can put on loop would be ideal.

E: I've looked at stock sound websites but I can't find what I'm looking for, at least not for free.

Checkout Freesound.org, there will be hundreds of those types of sounds there for no cost.

Edit: Too convoluted.

So I have managed to stain my white laminate countertop, any suggestions on how to remove the stains?

Perpetual Hiatus fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 3, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What have you stained it with?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The new exercise bike I bought has a calorie burn counter (I generally ride at full strength until I burn 50 kcal, which takes about a couple of minutes). How reliable is this measure?

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Checkout Freesound.org, there will be hundreds of those types of sounds there for no cost.

Edit: Too convoluted.

So I have managed to stain my white laminate countertop, any suggestions on how to remove the stains?

Poultice.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

RFX posted:

I'm planning on an international trip this summer and wanted advice on cell phones. I'm planning on buying a Nexus 4, which would be unlocked, so I understand I can take it with me and swap in to a SIM card in the countries I'm visiting. I will be going to Israel, Italy, and France (in that order). Would I be able to get a SIM card when I first arrive in Israel for a provider like Orange, load it up with minutes/data, and then take it with me to the other countries at the same rate?

Also, if I want to top it up, can that be done easily with an American credit card? Last time I was in Europe a few years ago I got some dumbphone from Vodafone that I had trouble loading up out of stores because the phone interface and website were not accomodating to non-Europe/UK billing addresses. Is it easier with Orange?

If this question isn't small/stupid enough, where would be a good place to ask?

You'd be better off getting a new SIM in Israel and then another when you reach Italy, and again when you reach France; even if the branding of the parent corporation is available in all three countries, you'll be charged roaming rates unless you purchase a new SIM from the local version of that provider and outside of the EU these can be somewhat extreme. Rates for roaming within the EU are fixed so a SIM from Italy will be more expensive to use in France, particularly for data, but it won't be ridiculously priced like an Israeli SIM.

A prepaid account in each country is your best bet as credit can generally be purchased in shops like any other product, so as long as the place takes cards for normal purchases or you have some cash on you you should be fine. Tobacco shops are a good source for this, and are likely to be more accessible than internet in many places.

A lot of networks seem to have special tourist packages available now too-last time I was in Croatia I got a T-Mobile package for 50 HRK at an ice cream place on the Slovenian border that had 2 SIM cards in a pack, and it gave me a decent bunch of minutes and data on each SIM when topped up with 200 HRK.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
Got a hare-brained idea for some video production stuff recently, but I haven't been able to find any thread on the forums discussing video cameras or video editing. I did find this one but it looks like it's for actual professionals. Are there any resources for a complete newbie both on or off the forums?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

Anyone know swimming pool stuff? Am I dumb to be spending up to $450 or so to setup a sand filter and saltwater system for a $400 18 foot (7600 gallon) metal frame pool?

Wife, I, kids and all their friends love the poo poo out of the pool and we will definitely buy another bigger one when this one wears out. I am also completely against the idea of any permanent pool.

It uses $5 paper filters now that suck rear end and have to be washed off with a hose when the pump slows down to nothing twice a day during normal operation. If you're vacuuming you have to wash the filter off multiple times too. Washing the filter off means getting out of the pool (if vacuuming from inside) walking back to the house to cut the power, pulling filter from skimmer (ejecting all kinds of crap out the skimmer into the pool), washing the filter, re-installing filter, walk back to house to turn on power. This makes vacuuming a huge chore that gets done a lot less than it should.

I'd guess we put about $10 a week into buying paper filters and chlorine, if we keep the pool up 16 weeks a year = $160. With the sand filter salt system we'd spend nothing on chlorine or filters, vacuuming lots easier, lots cleaner pool and looks like $25/year on the salt.

I just setup my pool this weekend and have been looking into the same thing.

Most people who are going to get some good use out of their pool get a sand filter and a saltwater system for them. If you're using an Intex pool they now make a sand filter/saltwater system in one. If not, the Intex 2650 sand filter and Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater systems are recommended. Those are only $150 and $130 on Amazon right now respectively.

I would suggest you head over to http://www.troublefreepool.com and look around, there's a huge amount of info in there and this time of year a bunch of people are on there and they're pretty helpful.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Mr. Pither posted:

Got a hare-brained idea for some video production stuff recently, but I haven't been able to find any thread on the forums discussing video cameras or video editing. I did find this one but it looks like it's for actual professionals. Are there any resources for a complete newbie both on or off the forums?

There's a pretty good video editing thread tucked away in the Let's Play subforum that may be of help to you. It's focused on capturing and editing gameplay footage though, but there are tutorials for common editing programs.

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 4, 2013

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Cakefool posted:

What have you stained it with?

Tumeric I think.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

The new exercise bike I bought has a calorie burn counter (I generally ride at full strength until I burn 50 kcal, which takes about a couple of minutes). How reliable is this measure?

You shouldn't really place any credence in cardio machine calorie counters. If you keep track of the speed, relative intensity, and time exercised there are some online calculators that will give you a better estimate.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Mr. Pither posted:

If you have post production questions, the people in that thread (myself included) don't mind answering newbie questions. Better to ask a pro and get a correct answer.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007

Neurophonic posted:

You'd be better off getting a new SIM in Israel and then another when you reach Italy, and again when you reach France; even if the branding of the parent corporation is available in all three countries, you'll be charged roaming rates unless you purchase a new SIM from the local version of that provider and outside of the EU these can be somewhat extreme. Rates for roaming within the EU are fixed so a SIM from Italy will be more expensive to use in France, particularly for data, but it won't be ridiculously priced like an Israeli SIM.

A prepaid account in each country is your best bet as credit can generally be purchased in shops like any other product, so as long as the place takes cards for normal purchases or you have some cash on you you should be fine. Tobacco shops are a good source for this, and are likely to be more accessible than internet in many places.

A lot of networks seem to have special tourist packages available now too-last time I was in Croatia I got a T-Mobile package for 50 HRK at an ice cream place on the Slovenian border that had 2 SIM cards in a pack, and it gave me a decent bunch of minutes and data on each SIM when topped up with 200 HRK.

Thanks, thats what I figured, I was just hoping it'd be easier. Now the only question is if it's worth doing that or just paying AT&T $120 for some international minutes & data.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Tumeric I think.

If it is turmeric I hope it hasn't been there long.

Scrub with white vinegar, then dry thoroughly and scrub with lemon juice, then if stains remain scrub with a paste of washing detergent and water.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The blue banners that you see Icon, Replies, Last Killed By, etc. has turned red on several of the boards here on SA for me. Additionally, it's not showing me which threads I've read and how many new posts there are in the threads. What did I do?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You entered the archives, click the Remove button.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Volume posted:

Equilibrium. The weight on one side may be greater than the weight on the other side, but the torques should cancel each other out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a page on facebook that shows all the available smilies?

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!

RaoulDuke12 posted:

If you have post production questions, the people in that thread (myself included) don't mind answering newbie questions. Better to ask a pro and get a correct answer.

Cool, thanks. What I'm looking at right now is picking up a video camera (possibly a GoPro for in-car footage) and most likely some lapel mics. Is there any sort of resource that explains the video camera market to someone who doesn't follow the industry?

And I imagine iMovie is sufficient for Babby's First Edited Video, right?

edit: This dude seems really helpful for anyone who's curious. I'm thinking about getting the low-end GoPro Hero3 but it looks like the mic is gonna require a pretty big investment to sound halfway decent.

Mr. Pither fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 4, 2013

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is there a good way to describe a writer who writes a boring story with bad characters, but writes it really well? When the overall plot is bad, but the descriptions are great?

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Since yesterday, I've been getting this pop up after I click on something on youtube, no other page at the moment.

Any idea how this happened?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

West007 posted:

Since yesterday, I've been getting this pop up after I click on something on youtube, no other page at the moment.

Any idea how this happened?

Seriously, what IS this? It's happening to me too. I cleared my history and cache and it's still doing it. Stupid firefox.

I have another question: Where can I donate a ton of perfectly wonderful but slightly worn books? I'm moving and I really can't take three heavy boxes of books with me and I was already soundly rejected by the mean old librarian in town because of their general age/condition. I really don't want all my lovely books to just go to the dump. :sigh:

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 4, 2013

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

fizzymercy posted:

Where can I donate a ton of perfectly wonderful but slightly worn books? I'm moving and I really can't take three heavy boxes of books with me and I was already soundly rejected by the mean old librarian in town because of their general age/condition. I really don't want all my lovely books to just go to the dump. :sigh:

Maybe a craigslist ad. I am sure someone local would love a bunch of books. Or maybe try SA Mart to sell or give them away to someone local.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

fizzymercy posted:

I have another question: Where can I donate a ton of perfectly wonderful but slightly worn books? I'm moving and I really can't take three heavy boxes of books with me and I was already soundly rejected by the mean old librarian in town because of their general age/condition. I really don't want all my lovely books to just go to the dump. :sigh:

Donate them to your local thrift store! If you even have one that is. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to take those books off of your hands.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to buy a domain name from a third party. How exactly do I ensure that I get what I paid for? Is there some way to guarantee that they'll transfer the domain and not just take my money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm looking to buy a domain name from a third party. How exactly do I ensure that I get what I paid for? Is there some way to guarantee that they'll transfer the domain and not just take my money?

You can use an escrow service, though they charge a (usually substantial) fee.