Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Thinking of mounting up a low front mudguard(fender) on my DRZ. The stock one is almost useless, causes drag and makes it unstable at high speeds. I have an Acerbis supermoto fender too but its even shorter and worse in actually fending off the spray. it does allow much better airflow to the rads and causes less drag and front end stability issues.

A friend had a mudguard from a zx6 lying around from an older project so i laid it up to see how it'd look. I think i'll give it a go. it'll need a small bit of fettling to make it fit up square and clear the fork tubes properly.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Weekend Ride Report: Screwing around in stadium parking lots is the best thing. I hadn't realized how much seating position effects power wheelies. Oh, and curbs, those are fun.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

ReelBigLizard posted:

You need a fully synth 10w60, but not necessarily the Motorex. I've used Rock Oil 10w60 for most of my bike's life. The second number is the most important when it comes to oil.

Appreciate the info, with all your ktm knowledge hopefully we can become 690 bro's :gay:. Got my oil, filters and new coolant ordered so hopefully should get that boring stuff this week.

I'll probably finish the maintenance stuff first then start looking into changing the intake to either the pod filter or at least the open air box, plus the remapping stuff. The bike already has an fmf (q4?) slip on, I think. It looks like a shorty fmf pipe, but I don't think they actually sell them short like that so I'm convinced the previous owner just cut it down himself. I'll have to get a picture.

I'm leaning towards the avon distanzia for the rear, but like you mentioned I don't know if such a drastic change in the rear would be a bad idea.

By the way, I figured out the front brake light switch. Took off the headlight to follow the brake wire and found it unplugged. Seemed weird, but easy enough right? Tried the front brake again, but this time brake light stayed on constantly. Apparently the little brake light switch had been sticking so the previous owner just unplugged the whole thing. A little cleaner and a tab of electrical grease and we're back in business. Oh, the joys of previous owners.

The bike came with a 49t rear sprocket installed but I also got the 42t (stock?). I'd like to try it but is that enough number difference to usually start cutting links on the chain? Definitely need to look into different gearing, that front wheel takes a little more work to get off the ground than I would like. :sun:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

velocross posted:

Appreciate the info, with all your ktm knowledge hopefully we can become 690 bro's :gay:. Got my oil, filters and new coolant ordered so hopefully should get that boring stuff this week.

I'll probably finish the maintenance stuff first then start looking into changing the intake to either the pod filter or at least the open air box, plus the remapping stuff. The bike already has an fmf (q4?) slip on, I think. It looks like a shorty fmf pipe, but I don't think they actually sell them short like that so I'm convinced the previous owner just cut it down himself. I'll have to get a picture.

I'm leaning towards the avon distanzia for the rear, but like you mentioned I don't know if such a drastic change in the rear would be a bad idea.

By the way, I figured out the front brake light switch. Took off the headlight to follow the brake wire and found it unplugged. Seemed weird, but easy enough right? Tried the front brake again, but this time brake light stayed on constantly. Apparently the little brake light switch had been sticking so the previous owner just unplugged the whole thing. A little cleaner and a tab of electrical grease and we're back in business. Oh, the joys of previous owners.

The bike came with a 49t rear sprocket installed but I also got the 42t (stock?). I'd like to try it but is that enough number difference to usually start cutting links on the chain? Definitely need to look into different gearing, that front wheel takes a little more work to get off the ground than I would like. :sun:

With +5 in the back that bike should want to flip over backwards in first and second. Clutch ups should be possible in 5th. People (PO's! :argh:) should stop loving with exhausts and tuning unless they understand how the 690s fuel specifically.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 27, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

With +5 in the back that bike should want to flip over backwards in first and second. Clutch ups should be possible in 5th. People should stop loving with exhausts and tuning unless they understand how the 690s fuel specifically.

Ok I'm glad i wasn't the only one confused. Sounds like someone needs their bike tuned.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Ok I'm glad i wasn't the only one confused. Sounds like someone needs their bike tuned.

Yeah it should be easily capable of power ups in 3rd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ukD9A0RDI

And while it was difficult to coax it up in 5th to the balance point on the clutch, I could do it most of the time with a bunch of body english and yanking on the bars. I can't imagine how badly tuned his bike is if it's +5 and required "more work to wheelie" then expected.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If you get rolling 15 MPH and crack the throttle to the stop in 2nd gear it should just wheelie freely and quickly on its own volition totally stock no matter if your hovering over the rear tire (you will loop it doing this) or sitting on the handlebars.

If its not doing that +5 something is horribly wrong with your bike or how your riding it (or your belt line)

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Yeaaaaah. I'm dumb. I saw the smaller rear sprocket and was thinking backwards.

Let me clarify though, I can still get the front wheel off the ground it just takes a little more effort than I would have thought judging from what I've read and videos. That's all. I've also only ridden it a handful of times so I can guarantee my technique and skills are lacking. I'm also 145lb soaking wet, so I can't blame it on that. :v:

I was mainly asking about the remapping because of what little I've read, it seems adding a different pipe (which the bike has) warrants some fueling changes. I saw the symptoms of slight hesitation off throttle and stalling(once), both of which I have had. Don't get me wrong, this bike is stupid fun, I'm just trying to learn about the bike.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

velocross posted:

Let me clarify though, I can still get the front wheel off the ground it just takes a little more effort than I would have thought judging from what I've read and videos. That's all. I've also only ridden it a handful of times so I can guarantee my technique and skills are lacking. I'm also 145lb soaking wet, so I can't blame it on that. :v:

I was mainly asking about the remapping because of what little I've read, it seems adding a different pipe (which the bike has) warrants some fueling changes. I saw the symptoms of slight hesitation off throttle and stalling(once), both of which I have had. Don't get me wrong, this bike is stupid fun, I'm just trying to learn about the bike.

You're def right to ask about remapping, a new exhaust or chop job will effect the fueling, and without a remap will be as likely yo cause a loss of power as much as it might a gain.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

For remapping you should just head over to supermotojunkie and have a look at the TuneECU thread in the KTM subforum. There's a bunch of info and a few cross posts from threads on ADV which give you a pretty good rundown on how to install the basic Akra map for a new exhaust, put on a performance map, or how to change your throttle maps, or just how to get it all back to stock to give you a good baseline.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

velocross posted:

Go back to stock, enjoy your midrange. Backpressure helps you in the midrange, a less restrictive exhaust helps the bike breathe better at higher RPM. As you're riding a thumper, it doesn't really make sense to have to rev the poo poo out of it all the time, plus the 690 is already a pretty revy single. I can nearly guarantee that the effective RPM range for an aftermarket pipe that's been cut down is after the rev limiter on a 690. Plus you'll have a giant hole in your midrange, because the tuning is way the gently caress off. Stock gearing is 16/42, so if it's got a 49 on the rear, first gear should be useless...

Wait a second...

You aren't running it on the bad gas map, are you? Pop the seat, look for the little rubber circular thing by the ECU - under the rubber cap is a 10 position rotary sensor. What is it on? 0 is the bad gas map, 1 is the rain map, 2 is the racing map, and 3 is the standard map...I ran mine on 3 for slightly better street manners.

I wouldn't want to tune a bike without access to a dyno - especially not a 690, which relies on running a bit on the rich side because it's a big single that uses the fuel to cool the piston and engine. Most tunes cause the bike to run a temperture bar on the gauges higher, which was something I wasn't particularly comfortable with. The bike can probably take it but why bother?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm disappointed that the solution was that the sprocket was -5 and not that velocross actually weighs 800lbs and rides a sumo

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So is the current gearing stock then?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm disappointed that the solution was that the sprocket was -5 and not that velocross actually weighs 800lbs and rides a sumo

wouldn't the next step just be slide that gorilla rear end rearward and enjoy the 12oclock to loop out?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Is it just me or are supermotos expensive as hell right now? I've been missing the 2006 DRZ with 7k miles that I bought for $3400 a few years ago, and now that I'm looking for another I can't find anything comparable below $4000 :(

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
If anything they've died down in popularity and prices should fall. The downfall is that the people who own them probably bought them years ago and still think they're worth premium money. Just wait it out and you'll get one for cheaper. It's harder now that everyone snagged them up in the spring for summer riding.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Around me at least (MKE), they've gone down in popularity because they're out of the public consciousness for the most part, but their prices are holding strong.

You can buy decent DRZ S's for 1500-2000 all day long, but DRZ SM's are holding strong at 4K, occasionally slipping to $3500 with a good amount of haggling, or a very motivated seller. If you see a DRZ SM in the $2000 range near me its either a converted S, garbage, or both. KTM 625's hold at about the same price as DRZ's and 690's never creep below 6-7K from what I've seen. WR's can go for $4k, as well, but its rare.

The people who know what they are know why they're special and that keeps the prices high for now. There are no more people accidentally buying supermotos because the dealer talked them into it, its really only people who know what they want and are actively seeking a supermoto. They are also being crashed, blown up and cannibalized for other projects, which drives the rarity up. All of these things conspire to keep prices up.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Washed the DRZ for the first time in a long time, and took a photo with a proper camera instead of my iPhone.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

velocross posted:

Velocross's guide for being a irresponsible man-child.

1. Take the msf course on the weekend.
2. Buy a 690 smc the next day.
3. ??? wheelies
4. Profit

This thing is just stupid fun, for sure. I've read so much about this bike from this thread and the internet in general, but it's hard to describe how sweet this machine really is. I was definitely grinning like an idiot after the test ride. I've got a million little questions about it but I'll probably post them in the next day or two. I spent the entire day driving all over the dfw area, so I'm beat.

I'm calling first dibs when you want to sell this because of all the speeding tickets you get. Glad it went to another goon, I was eyeballing it on Craigslist. There's an 09 Duke 690 I'm looking at right now.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Aargh posted:

For remapping you should just head over to supermotojunkie and have a look at the TuneECU thread in the KTM subforum.

Awesome, thanks. A lot of my searches from google ended up there and I found a ton of good info and some pretty good tutorials. Got the special tune cable ordered and will try a different map to see how that works.

Korwen posted:

I'm calling first dibs when you want to sell this because of all the speeding tickets you get. Glad it went to another goon, I was eyeballing it on Craigslist. There's an 09 Duke 690 I'm looking at right now.

Deal. Yeah, I had been looking for a supermoto for about 6 weeks and of course the weekend of my msf course that pops up. Luckily it all worked out. I had contacted a few people here and there about drz's and a wr250x, but nothing really panned out with pricing and quality.

You're in south Texas somewhere, right? I'm a ways up in Fort Worth, but you're more than welcome to try it. I've got family down in the Conroe and Houston area, so I'll be down there in future.

Z3n - Bike isn't on the bad gas setting, previous owner had it set on soft so that was the first thing I changed.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

velocross posted:

You're in south Texas somewhere, right? I'm a ways up in Fort Worth, but you're more than welcome to try it. I've got family down in the Conroe and Houston area, so I'll be down there in future.

I'm in Austin, and the best motorcycling roads in Texas are about an hour and a half to two hours West of here. If you're ever up for riding in this area let me know :)

As far as trying it, I've ridden one before, riding another will just put me closer to the edge of making irresponsible decisions.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Korwen posted:

I'm in Austin, and the best motorcycling roads in Texas are about an hour and a half to two hours West of here. If you're ever up for riding in this area let me know :)

As far as trying it, I've ridden one before, riding another will just put me closer to the edge of making irresponsible decisions.

Taking my old DRZ to the hill country was the best motorcycle experience I've had. It's like cheating. Every sportbike in your group will hate you for doing zero work to go twice as fast as them (until the straights :().

I can't recommend that enough. It's totally worth the drive. We go down twice a year if we can but I always like the Fall trips due to less chance of rain. There are plenty of cabins and stuff to stay in while you're there that have AC, wifi, etc.

The only downfall is that the loops you ride are a bit longer than 100 miles for the big one so you can run out of fuel. If you don't have an oversized tank I'd recommend taking extra gas somehow. The most fun part of the ride is pretty close to town though and you can easily ride that for a while and then get lunch and gas up without a problem.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm taking the Ulysses to Austin in a couple weeks and will probably have a couple days to ride wherever. Can you central TX guys recommend a good day ride through hill country?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

The roads I'm talking about are west of San Antonio by about an hour (Three Sisters). In Austin there's Lime Creek Road which is pretty popular but has some cops. Look around Lakeway (the neighborhood of rich rear end people from Lake Travis south of Austin) for some other little roads too. Some guys locally went on a big hill country trip (just generally around Austin) that I'm trying to find the itinerary for to get you the map. That'd be the best bet probably.

E^ Clutchpuck I messaged you the map of some roads around Austin that they took.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 30, 2013

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Lime Creek is pretty great if you can manage it on a week day or some other low traffic time. I don't get to ride for fun much, but when I do, I choose Lime Creek.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

This would be a pretty extreme day trip, but it would get you from Austin out to the Three Sisters.

http://goo.gl/maps/vmw3f

edit: I probably wouldn't take that road through Pedernales Falls Park if it's rained recently.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

JP Money posted:

The roads I'm talking about are west of San Antonio by about an hour (Three Sisters). In Austin there's Lime Creek Road which is pretty popular but has some cops. Look around Lakeway (the neighborhood of rich rear end people from Lake Travis south of Austin) for some other little roads too. Some guys locally went on a big hill country trip (just generally around Austin) that I'm trying to find the itinerary for to get you the map. That'd be the best bet probably.

E^ Clutchpuck I messaged you the map of some roads around Austin that they took.

Thanks, dudes. I am coming into San Antonio from the west and and heading from SA up to Austin the next day... might be able to route through some good riding on the way in, and it looks like a big detour out of SA might be in order.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah definitely, if you're coming in that way somehow I would definitely hit the Three Sisters on your way out. It's not a terrible ride from SA but it's kinda boring for most of it until all the sudden you hit the "mountains" and then you're there. There are some cabin places to stay in a town called Leakey that are central to most of the routes. I don't know what the hotel situation is like there but I'm sure you can find one if you really wanted / needed to stay overnight. Make sure you stop and check out the crazy fuckers down there on one of the routes that have a bunch of African animals. There are some insane mansions tucked away on the hills out there.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
3 sisters are def a good time. for a place to stay, try coyote ranch. they have some little cabins you can rent, and its pretty cheap.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

JP Money posted:

Motherfucker. Local guy got this '10 690 with 3k miles for 5 grand from some dealer who had no idea what they had. Why the gently caress can't I find deals like this? I would've sold a kidney or something just to ride it for a while and flip it for 2+ grand.

hey JP, is that dude a local CMRA guy from Houston? if so, about 3 more local guys have picked sumo's up because of him, and now i'm kinda wanting one. dammit.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Yep, Brandt Dillon I'm pretty sure. He got lucky as hell. He had a somewhat ugly TE610 sumo he sold off for it which is a huge step up imo.

There are no local sumo guys around me so I'm left to ride around and search for poo poo to do on my own. I swear one day I'm gonna take a trip to Houston or Austin for some legit riding.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
are you JT money on WFO? and yea, Brandt is who i was talking about.

those austin sumo guys are nuts.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Nah, not JT money. Funny it's so similar to my username on here though.

I wish I could make a trip down to Austin but the DRZ on the highway is pretty boring. They have some awesome sumo vids on youtube of the trails and stuff scattered around the city. Even the stuff they do in-town looks like a ton of fun.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
gotcha.

well i gotta ask, who are you on the local boards, or even in CMRA. i'm 'switch' on WFO and MH, CMRA #250.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Haha I'm no one in CMRA, that's for sure. I'm drzag on the boards. Don't post much due to the stupidity I see that's so prevalent. Awesome to see another goon in the community though, I think I've seen you post around the forums before..

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.
Fellow sumos. I am a sumo loser. I cannot wheelie and I am about as much of a hooligan as a librarian. Is my DRZ400S to blame, or am I just a motorcycle weenie? Sometimes I regret not picking up an SM when I bought my bike, but I really wanted a "dirt bike" that I could ride on the road. Any tips for getting that wheel up?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

axia posted:

Fellow sumos. I am a sumo loser. I cannot wheelie and I am about as much of a hooligan as a librarian. Is my DRZ400S to blame, or am I just a motorcycle weenie? Sometimes I regret not picking up an SM when I bought my bike, but I really wanted a "dirt bike" that I could ride on the road. Any tips for getting that wheel up?

I'm with you. I got the front up really good once, but can't seem to catch it or bring it to any good height. Also on a DRZ400S. I wanna blame the bike because I can tell it's badly out of tune, but I'm sure it's just me. I think I lean forward because I'm scared of looping, and probably don't rev it up enough, but because I don't have an odometer I can't be sure when I'm about to hit the rev limiter or not so I go with a softer hand. Also I think I need my clutch adjusted to allow me to pull it in without squishing my fingers, and make it easier to "pop" with my fingertips.

However, there are still hooligan things to be done! Ride up curbs! Then start doing them at an increasing angle and watch that front wheel squirm! Riding down stairs is easy. Find a long but not so steep set and practice. Practice hill climbs on grassy hills. Then put the two together and start riding up stairs. Just put your weight on the pegs so you take your butt of the seat but dont stand up all the way. Do jumps! I just found a sweet berm between parking lots that has a maybe six foot tall grass "ramp" to about three feet of grass before a curb, I've been practicing airing out over the curb. There's a stair set going up and down the berm, today when I went up it I accidentally got a little bit of air at the top. Gonna hafta hit it faster next time.

Also, last night I rode past a parking spot I wanted. Instead of doing a u-turn on a one way street, which would be illegal I bumped up onto the curb, rode back the way I came and just plopped nose out in my spot. Hooligan is a state of mind, it's really not all about the wheelies (though I still wanna learn).

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
For wheelies, just be in first or second or third gear and use the throttle. Oh wait is that just KTM? I've never had a DRZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ChewedFood posted:

For wheelies, just be in first or second or third gear and use the throttle. Oh wait is that just KTM? I've never had a DRZ.

:smugwizard:

Fixed that for you

• Locked thread