Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
I just like to post to say I'm playing Lost Odyssey and I'm pretty impressed so far. I think I'm nearing the end of the first disc.

Although there have been boss battles where I've had to grind my rear end off to complete. Is this typical or am I just poo poo?

Although I do find the fan fiction esque "dreams" segments to be slightly strange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 'dreams' segments are probably the best part of the game. How are they really fanficcy? The protagonist is immortal, so he's had thousands of little incidental stories/adventures/whatever. The dreams segments are an optional backstory dump.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

^ Who says Japan didn't like 6? It has 2.5 million sales. Compared to FF5's 2.4 million and FF4's 1.4 million. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

Check the actual source of that. It's The-Magicbox and The-Magicbox's numbers are iffy at best.

Japan didn't hate FF6 but it's never ranked particularly high either. If it was you can bet that S-E would have milked the hell out of it with remakes like they did FF4. It's not strongly disliked like some games tend to be but it isn't a big popular one like 4, 7 or 10. Everything I've read about it suggests that it sold well but doesn't really have a dedicated fanbase the way some of the other games do.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 3, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

juicecube posted:

Although there have been boss battles where I've had to grind my rear end off to complete. Is this typical or am I just poo poo?
Nah, all the bosses on the first disc can be pretty tough because it's before you get access to Mack's game-breaking buff spells. Until that point, they're half mastering the appropriate skills on your Immortals, one half dying once so you know its gimmick and the loadout you'll need to beat it, and maybe a little touch of luck.

Once Mack gets his first multi-strike skill and the first Attack Up spell, you'll pretty much steamroll bosses. Once he gets Triple Strike and the higher-tier Attack Up spell, you'll pretty much ruin bosses in a single round.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 3, 2013

Phreizr
Nov 1, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, all the bosses on the first disc can be pretty tough because it's before you get access to Mack's game-breaking buff spells. Until that point, they're half mastering the appropriate skills on your Immortals, one half dying once so you know its gimmick and the loadout you'll need to beat it, and maybe a little touch of luck.

Once Mack gets his first multi-strike skill and the first Attack Up spell, you'll pretty much steamroll bosses. Once he gets Triple Strike and the higher-tier Attack Up spell, you'll pretty much ruin bosses in a single round.

The trick to the first disc is to shove Seth in back and have Kaim defend so bosses don't decimate your Guard Condition every time they hit your entire party. You get much better options later but early on I found this to be a life-saver.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Last Remnant (PC version) gives you a really slow and limited leader character selection at the start, and the later ones seem better, but unfortunately, by the time you can get them, all the not-so-good characters have leveled up their stats and arts so much that the new, better characters seem too far behind to use. Most of the quests in the first half expire, so you can't hold off on doing those after you get access to the "Disc 2" party members.
Late game you will care more about Weapon arts, Summons and Unique arts. My friend wrote this for me when I was doing my playthrough. Basically your union leaders should be Emmy Rush Irina Jager. David and Pagus as leaders until you get Emmy and Jager or whoever is missing.

quote:

$**rush - whatever
$*david - 1h/shield - 2 arts as leader - invo / herbs / remedies / shards
$*pagus - 2h staff - 1 art as leader (full map aoe, CANNOT be deadlocked) - invo / remedies / wards / herbs - remnant accessory (pagus only)
$baulson - 1h 2h axe - 1 WA anywhere if hacked smiter in - herbs / hexes - remnant accessory (baulson only)
$blocter - [??? apparently he missed it]
$torgal - quad wield - 1 art as leader, 1 WA anywhere - evo / psi
$**emmy - dual wield - 1 art + summon as leader, 1 WA anywhere - remedies / hexes
$**jager - 2h spear - 2 art + summon as leader - psi - remnant weapon (g bonus/damage)
caedmon - dual 2h - 1 WA anywhere - evo / herbs / remedies
allan - dual 1h 2h katana - 1 WA anywhere - invo / hexes / shards
$gaou - 1h 2h sword - 1 art as leader OR 1 WA anywhere - lotions / hexes - remnant weapon (g bonus/damage)
$roberto - 1h 2h sword - 1 art as leader OR 1 WA anywhere - invo - remnant weapon (g bonus/damage)
$**irina - 1h 2h katana OR staff - 3 arts as leader (very loving g) - remedies / lotions / psi / shards - remant weapon (g bonus/damage) + with khyrinia in same party she gets another full screen art
violet - 2h staff - remedies / hexes - remnant accessory Liafort (or you can use on rush aka no point using her) - can hack another staff weapon in for her so she has a weapon art
leshau - 2h 1h mace - 1 WA anywhere - evo / hexes / psi
maddox - 2h staff - 1 WA anywhere - invo / hexes / remedies / herbs
darien - 2h spear - herbs / lotions / remedies
$glenys - 2h 1h katana - remedies / evo / herbs - remnant accessory Rubber Soul (or you can use on rush aka no point in using her)
paris - 2h staff - remedies / psi / wards

--characters you don't have yet--

$sibal - 1h 2h mace - herbs / lotions / invo - remnant weapon (g bonus/damage)
$duke of ghor - 1h 2h axe - 1 art as leader - psi - remnant weapon (g bonus/damage)
haruko - 2h spear - remedies / invo / lotion - remnant weapon (g bonus/damage)
$wyngale - #winning, not even worth typing about. has every spell in game and quad wield katana.
$khyrina - 1h 2h katana - 1 WA anywhere - invo / evo / shards/ hexes / lotions - needs to be in party with Irina. 2x remnant accessory (very g poo poo, if you don't want to use her you can use Blood Chalice on Rush)
I marked my end game leaders with a $. Also a lot of it depends on classes. For example I turned my David into an Assassin for the flanking and he was a 5th union leader for me.

quote:

Take Loki and Yuniver for example. I've had Loki for a long time since early on, and while maybe I didn't level him as efficiently as I could have, most of his stats are only on par or worse than Yuniver's at recruitment time about 3/4 of the way through the game. But his HP and AP are much higher and all his Artes are better as well.

Would it work to disband all my unions, make a new one with a bunch of weak characters I want to "level up" and go fight weaker enemies to get bonuses for stats and art usage? Or would trying to do that just pump up my BR anyway?
I think you fell into the games trap. You want to avoid most regular fights if you can. Only grinding out monsters for components for weapons (which you will need to do a lot of)

quote:

Also, is it possible to beat The Fallen quest on a first playthrough, if you haven't learned the super-awesome AP-reducing Hex? I'm at BR 74.
The Fallen is probably the hardest fight in the game but yeah its doable. The AI will worthlessly revive Wyngale. You just have to hope for Unique arts to pop up typically.

Kild fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 3, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Kild posted:

Late game you will care more about Weapon arts, Summons and Unique arts. My friend wrote this for me when I was doing my playthrough. Basically your union leaders should be Emmy Rush Irina Jager. David and Pagus as leaders until you get Emmy and Jager or whoever is missing.

I marked my end game leaders with a $. Also a lot of it depends on classes. For example I turned my David into an Assassin for the flanking and he was a 5th union leader for me.
I think you fell into the games trap. You want to avoid most regular fights if you can. Only grinding out monsters for components for weapons (which you will need to do a lot of)

The Fallen is probably the hardest fight in the game but yeah its doable. The AI will worthlessly revive Wyngale. You just have to hope for Unique arts to pop up typically.

I generally have only been fighting monsters I have to, or ones who were unavoidable, but I haven't been fanatical about it. I also went to fetch components as they were demanded so the party would stop bugging me so much about them.

My current groups are (Rush, Glenys, Violet, Caedmon, Irina), (David, Loki, Nora, Pagus, Lukorra), (Emmy, Torgal, Blocter, Darien), (Jager, Baulson, Paris, Gabriel).

Rush is set up for a Power Grip with the Olibaum(?) Sword, and his group is good at fighting and healing. David's group is the magical group, good at Invocations and Hexes - but I did screw up a bit with him early and had some of his group using weapon arts as well. Emmy is another fighting group, with a touch of Psionics on Torgal, Jager is another fighting group with a bit more Psionics and Wards on Paris.

I'm not sure if a summon is even worthwhile to hope for on the first turn, or if it would just be another thing I'd have to heal/revive when I want to heal something else. Probably not worthwhile, they're only really good at locking down some unions when you want to focus on something else.

I did have a good run where I got it into critical health by a late turn, but it was like turn 8 or 9 and everyone except Emmy was dead and I had a choice between using Hundred Flowers to try and finish it off, or to revive someone. Hundred Flowers did not finish it off. I'll give it a few more tries. I don't think splitting into smaller groups will help - not against that much damage, so I'll stick with what I have, maybe with Rush's group as the dedicated healer group.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I generally have only been fighting monsters I have to, or ones who were unavoidable, but I haven't been fanatical about it. I also went to fetch components as they were demanded so the party would stop bugging me so much about them.
If I remember correctly I ended the game at like BR 72 with everything completed.

quote:

My current groups are (Rush, Glenys, Violet, Caedmon, Irina), (David, Loki, Nora, Pagus, Lukorra), (Emmy, Torgal, Blocter, Darien), (Jager, Baulson, Paris, Gabriel).

Rush is set up for a Power Grip with the Olibaum(?) Sword, and his group is good at fighting and healing. David's group is the magical group, good at Invocations and Hexes - but I did screw up a bit with him early and had some of his group using weapon arts as well. Emmy is another fighting group, with a touch of Psionics on Torgal, Jager is another fighting group with a bit more Psionics and Wards on Paris.

I'm not sure if a summon is even worthwhile to hope for on the first turn, or if it would just be another thing I'd have to heal/revive when I want to heal something else. Probably not worthwhile, they're only really good at locking down some unions when you want to focus on something else.

I did have a good run where I got it into critical health by a late turn, but it was like turn 8 or 9 and everyone except Emmy was dead and I had a choice between using Hundred Flowers to try and finish it off, or to revive someone. Hundred Flowers did not finish it off. I'll give it a few more tries. I don't think splitting into smaller groups will help - not against that much damage, so I'll stick with what I have, maybe with Rush's group as the dedicated healer group.

Summons are useful in that they help you flank and rear assault him. Make sure you make your morale maxed out ASAP and try to keep it there. You should play around with your formations to make sure you maximize the bonus they give since they have ranks I think using Vampire was what gave me the most success. Also you should have Ghor as he does probably the most damage outside of Rush and maybe Torgal.

e: It took like 3 days of trying for me to beat it

This made me so mad but I beat it after this attempt :D

Kild fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 3, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I switched the Duke of Ghor in for Paris and played with my formations. I died a few times, then decided to swap Paris back in for Gabriel, which actually improved all my stats (I think Gabriel's not coming back after this). I enabled all the "Morale down" abilities and focused on those whenever possible. I'm amazed how much a difference that can make. I actually got the boss down to critical health by the end of turn 4. My previous attempts needed to reach Turn 7 before that happened. I still got crushed, but I'll definitely focus on getting Morale up high from now on. Thanks for those tips.

I think the key will be to keep Emmy on the critical edge where she can use Hundred Flowers again and again. (Luckily, it still goes off if she gets healed before her turn.)

EDIT: Ah ha ha ha! Got him! Got him, got him, got him! It took 9 turns, and half my unions were dead, but I got him! Ha ha! Thanks a lot, the tip to keep Morale high as much as possible worked!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 3, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Can someone please help me with a non-spoiler hint as to where I find the Dark Elf in Final Fantasy 4?
I think I have found the cave but I can not land there. What's up?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Can someone please help me with a non-spoiler hint as to where I find the Dark Elf in Final Fantasy 4?
I think I have found the cave but I can not land there. What's up?

To the south west from that little forest island with a cave is a castle town. Go there.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks, but I just came from there - I met those women in the castle and they told me to go to the cave to retrieve the crystal. :( :confused: :(

I could just head over to gamefaqs, I know, but I'm trying to do the game without a walkthrough. I'm stumped now though. Do I need to purchase a writ for the pub to advance the main quest?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks, but I just came from there - I met those women in the castle and they told me to go to the cave to retrieve the crystal. :( :confused: :(

I could just head over to gamefaqs, I know, but I'm trying to do the game without a walkthrough. I'm stumped now though. Do I need to purchase a writ for the pub to advance the main quest?

You need a Chocobo. There is a circular forest to the north of that town. A flying black Chocobo can land in forests. There's a chocobo stable in town where they mention this.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Possibly you need to get a chocobo, can't remember about the old FFIV but on the DS one I think you use a black chocobo to get to the cave. There was a forest around that area where you can get one

edit: ^ yeah :(

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Head north from the castle town, you'll find a chocobo forest. Should be evident what you need to do once you're in there.

EDIT: poo poo, I should probably refresh before replying.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Got it - thanks a lot guys! :comeback:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BadAstronaut posted:

Got it - thanks a lot guys! :comeback:

Don't forget to talk to Edward in the castle's sick bay before you go after the Dark Elf :ssh:.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ah ha ha ha! Got him! Got him, got him, got him! It took 9 turns, and half my unions were dead, but I got him! Ha ha! Thanks a lot, the tip to keep Morale high as much as possible worked!

Later in the game, I've found maintaining Morale to be as important, if not more, than sheer damage- Morale also affects the rate at which Unique Arts fire off, for one. I remember one late game fight where David kept shooting off the Gae Bolg for 3/4 turns non-stop.

It. Was. Glorious :allears.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget to talk to Edward in the castle's sick bay before you go after the Dark Elf :ssh:.

Thankfully I did that already :)
Now i am just getting slaughtered because I've had to unequip all metal. Wtf? This is dumb. Is there a suggested load out I can give Cecil and Tellah to make them not poo poo? Grrrrr. Feels like I need to grind some levels or something, because their effectiveness is so massively reduced from the equipment change.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BadAstronaut posted:

Is there a suggested load out I can give Cecil and Tellah to make them not poo poo?
Tellah should just be dropping his magic, unless you mean Cid or Yang, in which case just give them crap light (non-metal) armors and give Cid a plain Wood Mallet. Also try different rings on Tellah, I think a few of them are considered metallic too. *Ruby is non-metal, though, iirc. Hook Cecil up with a bow and some pimpin' arrows--I think you can buy Holy arrows at this point?--and while he won't be as accurate as Rosa, it'll get the job done and I think most enemies in the area are weak against Holy element. Also remember that you can switch weapons mid-combat; you'll need that later on in the dungeon.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Yes I've done some of Cid' analyzing stuff and it seems every opponent is weak to Holy. I'll try find me some holy arrows and a bow. Thanks for the advice. Tellah was obviously wearing something metallic because he was deactivated, but Cid and Yang were just fine.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The White Dragon posted:

Also remember that you can switch weapons mid-combat; you'll need that later on in the dungeon.

If I recall, actually, it's not all that necessary; (sort of boss spoilers?) you're given a chance to enter the menu after Edward disables the magnetic field and before you re-engage the Dark Elf. I might be wrong, though, it's been awhile since I've played FFIV.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CommissarMega posted:

Later in the game, I've found maintaining Morale to be as important, if not more, than sheer damage- Morale also affects the rate at which Unique Arts fire off, for one. I remember one late game fight where David kept shooting off the Gae Bolg for 3/4 turns non-stop.

It. Was. Glorious :allears.

I've done that repeatedly in several fights, basically winning several battles instantly. It's awesome. I'm sure you know, but the trick is that there need to be 3+ enemy unions, and David can't be deadlocked with any of them. You usually need to have him wait at least one or two turns to get enough AP to fire it.

The real trap in this game is upgrading party members stuff. I had decided I'm going to go ahead and do the finale now, but as I was leaving town, 3-4 guys mentioned that they wanted stuff. I figured, "well, that's a good idea, upgrade stuff before the last fight..."

:cripes: But of course you need to go kill certain monsters so you can turn in quests so you can get magazine drops, and go kill other monsters to get components to craft weapons so you can get magazine drops. It goes on and on and I still haven't done the requirement so I can get the Circular Albic Hide someone's been wanting for ages, which means those guys weapons are now far behind the rest of the party.

Still though, this is being a bit helpful. I've managed to upgrade Blackout to rank V, and Rush has learned the Rejuvenating Water mass heal, and Irina has learned a second revive spell, all of which I'll probably need. No one has learned the Bewitch Hex yet, though, never mind the Cachexia one.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just edit the ini file and allow yourself to equip whatever you want.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I've done that repeatedly in several fights, basically winning several battles instantly. It's awesome. I'm sure you know, but the trick is that there need to be 3+ enemy unions, and David can't be deadlocked with any of them. You usually need to have him wait at least one or two turns to get enough AP to fire it.

The real trap in this game is upgrading party members stuff. I had decided I'm going to go ahead and do the finale now, but as I was leaving town, 3-4 guys mentioned that they wanted stuff. I figured, "well, that's a good idea, upgrade stuff before the last fight..."

:cripes: But of course you need to go kill certain monsters so you can turn in quests so you can get magazine drops, and go kill other monsters to get components to craft weapons so you can get magazine drops. It goes on and on and I still haven't done the requirement so I can get the Circular Albic Hide someone's been wanting for ages, which means those guys weapons are now far behind the rest of the party.

Still though, this is being a bit helpful. I've managed to upgrade Blackout to rank V, and Rush has learned the Rejuvenating Water mass heal, and Irina has learned a second revive spell, all of which I'll probably need. No one has learned the Bewitch Hex yet, though, never mind the Cachexia one.

Have you done every sidequest before you do the finale?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rascyc posted:

Just edit the ini file and allow yourself to equip whatever you want.

Given the zillion different weapon types, that somehow sounds like it would be MORE work. :cripes: I'm already looking up the guides a lot just to figure out where to get the parts for stuff they know they want, trying to decide which of the zillion weapon types is best for their union's role would be lots on top of that. I think Loki's weapon is done. He no longer is requesting anything.

Kild posted:

Have you done every sidequest before you do the finale?

Not quite, there was one I locked myself out of by choosing to agree with Robert all times after three previous quests - but that apparently won't count against the "all other sidequests done" sidequest. I think I have done everything else before the Holy Plains fight (which I have not started yet). If I could handle The Fallen, I should be able to handle most everything else.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

In Alpha Protocol, is it better for relationship building to finish each area all at once or to move around Moscow, Taipei and Rome? I can't really recall if there's much interplay between them that it would matter.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember years back when I was still buying in to hype over video games. A commercial came on and I could swear it was a trailer for Darkfall. Turns out it was a trailer for Two Worlds, I was disappointed promptly forgot about the game. A friend of mine got it and seemed to enjoy it, but it never clicked for me. I've been in the mood for a good RPG, and apparently Two Worlds 2 is actually pretty interesting and immersive. Is it worth the $30 on Steam if I got tired of Skyrim and needing to install a gigantic list of mods just for some immersion and to make the world feel less static?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I haven't played either, but from what I've heard they're both bad. Two Worlds is bad in like a creative and endearing way though, where as TW2 is just regular generic bad.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Blast of Confetti posted:

Is it worth the $30 on Steam

No. But hop on Steamgifts and try to win it, it's been in several super-cheap bundles (and I'm sure will be again).

EDIT: Wait just play Risen or the Gothic series instead.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh, generic bad is fine. I mean, I enjoyed KoA: Reckoning and that with the DLC's was a lot more expensive than this.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Tellah should just be dropping his magic, unless you mean Cid or Yang, in which case just give them crap light (non-metal) armors and give Cid a plain Wood Mallet. Also try different rings on Tellah, I think a few of them are considered metallic too. *Ruby is non-metal, though, iirc. Hook Cecil up with a bow and some pimpin' arrows--I think you can buy Holy arrows at this point?--and while he won't be as accurate as Rosa, it'll get the job done and I think most enemies in the area are weak against Holy element. Also remember that you can switch weapons mid-combat; you'll need that later on in the dungeon.

Am I the only one who didn't bother to change equipment and just ran from every battle?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

Am I the only one who didn't bother to change equipment and just ran from every battle?

I did this multiple times on the SNES version back in junior high, but I've never managed it in any of the remakes, probably due to an increased encounter rate or something.

edit: lovely double post within a post, but if I've never played any of the Tales Of games or SaGa games, do I owe it to myself as a lover of RPGs to play any of them? I played Tales of Phantasia for a bit, but since it infrequently enters the conversations about that series I wasn't sure if it counts.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

I did this multiple times on the SNES version back in junior high, but I've never managed it in any of the remakes, probably due to an increased encounter rate or something.

edit: lovely double post within a post, but if I've never played any of the Tales Of games or SaGa games, do I owe it to myself as a lover of RPGs to play any of them? I played Tales of Phantasia for a bit, but since it infrequently enters the conversations about that series I wasn't sure if it counts.

Tales of Vesperia is top notch. As far as the SaGa games go, they are a mixed bag. I personally love SaGa Frontier 1 & 2 (2 more than 1). Last Remnant is a SaGa game in everything but name and that's pretty polished as long as you play it on PC.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Can't say much about most of them, but Tales of Graces had a great battle system. Probably the best of the localized games, honestly. Its story sucks, but that's honestly kinda of par for the course for like, 90% of JRPGs that aren't Dragon Quest or Mario.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Could someone give me an overview of Divinity II and which version I should buy if I decide that it strikes my fancy? I've heard good things about it and I'd like to know if it's particularly story driven, has good customization, illusion of choice, and all that other jazz.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
After playing Suikodens 1 and 2 combined about 40 times, I decided to finally play Suikoden 3. And it's actually pretty good! Really slow start, and a few moments where the game felt like it was flipping me off, but overall enjoyable. At some point I'll want to get to 4 and 5, even though 4 is near-universally panned.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I was like you for a while, having played the first two Suikodens once a year back in the day. I actually got Suikoden 3 at launch, but never played more than an hour of it until last year. (what do you mean there is friendly fire on runes, not my suikoden)

Suikoden 3 is a really good game until holy poo poo the end just shits the bed. Let's throw out all the political and military stuff the game has been building up and fight some whiny Sephiroth dude instead. What bland jrpg bullshit. I never even bothered to play the extra Luc scenerio I was so disgusted.

Still haven't touched 4, even though I've owned it for while now. 5 was their attempt to get back to a game more like 2, which is both a good and a bad thing. It really amplifies every bad thing 2 did far beyond 2 ever did (missable obscure to collect characters, completely broken battle system, endless opening section of the game). Still it has some of the best early bad endings I've seen in an rpg, so it still has good things going for it.

Dec 26, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

EDIT: Wait just play Risen or the Gothic series instead.

More specifically, play Gothic 1 or 2 or Risen 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

01011001 posted:

More specifically, play Gothic 1 or 2 or Risen 1.

This is 100% correct. I was actually going to edit my post before and decided "nahhh." If you play anything that says Forsaken Gods or Arcania well you just might be dead and in hell for all eternity.

(I've suffered through it all...*shudder*)