Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Quick question: what's the formula for linking videos in images?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Sylphid posted:

Quick question: what's the formula for linking videos in images?

[url=URL HERE][img]URL HERE[/img][/url]

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Aerdan posted:

[url=URL HERE][img]URL HERE[/img][/url]

Thanks.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013
Been a few pages so it's probably buried in more recent stuff, but I was wondering if there's any further criticism of my LP of Arc: Twilight of the Spirits (I responded to some critique here and here if it helps) or if I'm alright for posting a thread up and getting started. Lost the edit page for the off-site post, so any edits to that will probably be made locally, if there any further criticisms of that.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

Test post for Let's Play To the Moon

Taking screenshots with IrfanView is handy, but just going through this, I found myself missing a LOT of good shots. I know some people prefer to capture video and then go through frame-by-frame. I'll try using VirtualDub, maybe, unless there's something that comes more highly recommended.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rule of thumb on how long we have to wait for expansions to LP them too?

Just in case for when BNW for Civ V comes out.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Speedball posted:

Rule of thumb on how long we have to wait for expansions to LP them too?

Just in case for when BNW for Civ V comes out.

Expansion's are also governed by the three month rule.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Renzuko posted:

Expansion's are also governed by the three month rule.

If they're significant enough; it's in the OP, I'm pretty sure. For the most part, they come under the three month rule, but if they aren't that big and/or the LPer contacts the developers and gets permission from them, it can be okay.

But really, it's worth waiting no matter what. Give yourself some time to explore the ins and outs of whatever you're going to do.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Segmentation Fault posted:

[VLP] Neither John Coltrane nor the Coal Train: Let's Play The Jazz Jackrabbit Series!

Oh hey, nice to see someone doing the whole JJ series. I considered going back to the other games after LPing JJ2 but they feel kinda mediocre by comparison, specially the GBA one (you have my goondolences in advance :v:).

Your video looks fine, and the sound levels are good on your fixed version, though as people mentioned, Youtube will make old games look pretty blurry if you don't scale them up to HD resolution (4x with Nearest Neighbour should be enough). Besides that, you better link the amazing soundtrack in the OP. ;)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SupSuper posted:

Oh hey, nice to see someone doing the whole JJ series. I considered going back to the other games after LPing JJ2 but they feel kinda mediocre by comparison, specially the GBA one (you have my goondolences in advance :v:).

Your video looks fine, and the sound levels are good on your fixed version, though as people mentioned, Youtube will make old games look pretty blurry if you don't scale them up to HD resolution (4x with Nearest Neighbour should be enough). Besides that, you better link the amazing soundtrack in the OP. ;)

Oh of course I will. Your LP of the second game actually inspired me to do the entire series. I plan on doing the second game a bit differently, though: We'll be doing two-player co-op (Garnavis and Donnor will swap second player every other level), along with some three-player multiplayer at the end of the LP. I also want to do some of the absolutely fantastic single-player levels the Jazz community has made.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

First thing I can see is the cursor. Don't leave that in your shots.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

Brainamp posted:

First thing I can see is the cursor. Don't leave that in your shots.

Thanks. Irfanview didn't get rid of the in-game cursor, though the option was definitely selected. I've realized that I can play with the keyboard instead and the cursor will be out of the way, then.

I'm having some trouble with VirtualDub recording my play. I've very nearly got a good setup, but it still fails to capture maybe one in ten dialog boxes, which is less than ideal when I'm quite hopeful to get all of those that I can.

e: VVVVV 60fps? Really? Alright, I'll give that a shot, thanks!

bottles and cans fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 3, 2013

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

bottles and cans posted:

Thanks. Irfanview didn't get rid of the in-game cursor, though the option was definitely selected. I've realized that I can play with the keyboard instead and the cursor will be out of the way, then.

I'm having some trouble with VirtualDub recording my play. I've very nearly got a good setup, but it still fails to capture maybe one in ten dialog boxes, which is less than ideal when I'm quite hopeful to get all of those that I can.

Well, it won't remove a cursor that the game adds, it just removes the windows one. For virtualdub it should capture everything you can see, unless you hammer the skip button or something. You could check that you're recording at 60fps as well.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Your left. No, your left. No your OTHER LEFT... Let's Play Borderlands 2 (Co-op VLP)

Borderlands 2 is about a group of four(six?) Vault Hunters who like shiny things. This whole game is about shiny things. The whole LP is just going to be about collecting shiny things... and probably a bit of bumbling and fumbling on my part. Alchanii, however, will probably safely nestle the palm of his hand into the back of his skull... cause I'm going in blind!

You're playing this blind?!
Yes, yes, yes. I'm going in pretty much blind to this game (aside from the first 1-2 hours) but the great thing is... I'm not going alone! Alchanii is coming with me and he's a pretty drat experienced Borderlands player, he's been through Borderlands 2 ten times over and he has completed the original Borderlands more times than the Gunzerker has bullets (and he may as well have infinite bullets!).

Okay, so what does that mean?
Alchanii is going to act both as the info-guy as well as the hint button. For the most part I will be leading our journey through the harsh planes of Pandora. I'll be in charge of what quests we go for, in what direction we travel and generally the day to day tasks of yer average Vault Hunter. Alchanii will be acting like a slightly less maniacal Claptrap. Chantrap, if you will.

Okay, I think I'm on board...
Good. This is going to be a bumpy ride, but hopefully bumpy in the roller-coaster of emotions way and not, say, like genital warts.

Hey, wait... Borderlands 2 has 4-player Co-op!
drat it you caught me. Okay, yes, we'll probably be inviting guests pretty regularly as the LP goes on. We're going to wait a little while to start that up (and to let guest offers roll in). What will likely happen is we will offer a partially leveled character save file with no skills spent so that they can drop in, apply their skills and be set to go instead of breaking the game scaling due to starting at Level 1. If a guest does have a character around the same progress or level as us, they would be welcome to use that.

Anything else?
We will be covering the core game, main story. Noteworthy side-missions will be played, too. In the future we may do the DLC and perhaps show off the other characters just for the hell of it (that may be a task left for Alchanii and his mad skillz).

:siren:If you are at all interested in the previous game, there is a fantastic group LP up on the archives. Check it out.:siren:
:siren:Let's not spoil this game for anyone. Keep the story chat relevant to the videos and don't reveal anything from later in the game.:siren:

----

The "cut commentary" button will be for the few cutscenes this game has. For the most part we will be talking over everything. If there's anything particularly interesting or worth hearing then I'll be making a concerted effort to show that.

(Alchanii's perspective is merely a bonus/supplemental thing and is not intended to be core to the LP.)

Worth Seeing

"A Meat Bicycle Built For Two"
    A short film by Gearbox introducing a new DLC character for the game.. "Krieg".

----

I will say, I'm a bit nervous about this as I'm pretty much going in to a blind run but I think Alchanii and I have a great chemistry and I'm not an incompetent fool at PC shooters or the action RPG genre in general and as well Alchanii has more than enough experience with these games to keep things going in the right direction.

We're totally ready to adjust how things are if it will improve the experience despite the blind aspect.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 5, 2013

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Sundowner posted:

Your left. No, your left. No your OTHER LEFT... Let's Play Borderlands 2 (Co-op VLP)

One thing to be aware of is the more people you have the more bullet spongy enemies become - I've heard people say two is actually the optimal number.

It is a really long and grindy game if you're going to 100% it, so you probably want to figure out which side missions are actually story-relevant. Also be aware that in multiplayer other people can activate events and cutscenes while you're across the map, so especially in town be sure to stick together while picking up new quests or you'll miss some cool events.

I'd say you could really do without hanging around claptraps cave for 5 minutes - just explain the stuff as you run. Also one thing a lot of people miss is when claptrap trips over the first snow/ice pile - it would be good to be near enough to see that - IMO it's one of the best tutorial moments - explaining without words that those lumps are breakable. Really good game design there.

You should probably edit out the mouse clicks - it should be pretty easy. Don't worry about the ones while you're talking, but any time you aren't talking they're easy to highlight and ctrl+L in audacity. Less than 5 minutes of work for an episode.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sundowner posted:

Hey, wait... Borderlands 2 has 4-player Co-op!
drat it you caught me. Okay, yes, we'll probably be inviting guests every now and then. Just give us a bit to set that up.

Anything else?
We will be covering the core game, main story. Side-missions and all. In the future we may do the DLC and perhaps show off the other characters just for the hell of it (that may be a task left for Alchanii and his mad skillz).

If you want to show off the other classes and plan to invite others to the mix you could ask them to roll up a Character we haven't seen or a particular Build of that character we haven't seen instead of having to do it yourself. Just have them quickly explain how the build/character works when you start the video and maybe see if they're willing to record their perspective to better help show things off.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
The Cut Commentary video is rather quiet.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

unfair posted:

One thing to be aware of is the more people you have the more bullet spongy enemies become - I've heard people say two is actually the optimal number.

It is a really long and grindy game if you're going to 100% it, so you probably want to figure out which side missions are actually story-relevant. Also be aware that in multiplayer other people can activate events and cutscenes while you're across the map, so especially in town be sure to stick together while picking up new quests or you'll miss some cool events.

I'd say you could really do without hanging around claptraps cave for 5 minutes - just explain the stuff as you run. Also one thing a lot of people miss is when claptrap trips over the first snow/ice pile - it would be good to be near enough to see that - IMO it's one of the best tutorial moments - explaining without words that those lumps are breakable. Really good game design there.

You should probably edit out the mouse clicks - it should be pretty easy. Don't worry about the ones while you're talking, but any time you aren't talking they're easy to highlight and ctrl+L in audacity. Less than 5 minutes of work for an episode.

I actually left a line in the OP that I meant to edit. I made it look like we wanted to go for 100%, that's not the case. We'll be doing the main story and only doing noteworthy side quests. As for grinding, Alchanii has told me he didn't have to do much of that, though even if it's necessary at any point, we'll likely show it once and then cut it out in the future.

We're definitely going to re-do this session. I actually "know" what's happening up until one of the first major fights in the game so we have a bit of breathing room to get our flow down before we get to the real blind stuff, where things might open up a bit more.

As for mouse clicks, I'll give it a go editing them out.

Cernunnos posted:

If you want to show off the other classes and plan to invite others to the mix you could ask them to roll up a Character we haven't seen or a particular Build of that character we haven't seen instead of having to do it yourself. Just have them quickly explain how the build/character works when you start the video and maybe see if they're willing to record their perspective to better help show things off.

Absolutely. I've been thinking about how to invite guests when we feel we're in a position to do it. If we ask someone to roll a new character then they'll be joining us at Level 1 where we may potentially be much higher. This might actually work toward some funny things but it might also just put a damper on the combat sections. What I might do is pre-make some save files and to anyone who guests, they can start off with a little bit of a bump to keep things moving nicely.

FillInTheBlank posted:

The Cut Commentary video is rather quiet.

I'll remedy that shortly.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 4, 2013

Alchanii
May 16, 2013

WHO DO YOU VOODOO, BITCH?

Sundowner posted:

I wish to point out, that I've already noticed many mistakes on my part during this, mostly talking too much, when there's still story/plot-integral talk going on. I will be correcting them in our inevitable re-run/official run of this, and I hope to bring a form of... structure? to what I plan to drop, in terms of info-bombs. I am fully encouraging Sundowner go full newbie and ask any question he really wants to. I'm kind of glad that Sundowner knows of at least the first half-hour or so, otherwise this would quickly turn into a non-blind run for him. I don't plan on screwing up badly enough to call for a re-try, again.

I feel as if I dropped too much information(which, actually, wasn't that much, having beaten the game too many times.) too soon, so in the official one, I'll drip-feed it, as opposed to the constant hammering I did. I went into it thinking "oh, test post, well, this is what my commentary may/may not sound like once we get to content that Sundowner hasn't seen!" -- But, ah, man, it was kinda hard listening to myself do that. It was way too much, and I was going "dude! there's stuff you need to hear being told right now!" the entire time.

There's plenty of time to dole out the goodies over the course of the game, since it is a minimum of ~12 hours long, really. My first playthrough took 14 hours, and I'm one of those psychotic "rush to the end-game" kinda people, when it comes to this type of game.
There is actually so much to do, that I hear people say 20+ hours, but, again, I'm crazy, so.

Alchanii fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 4, 2013

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

bottles and cans posted:

Taking screenshots with IrfanView is handy, but just going through this, I found myself missing a LOT of good shots. I know some people prefer to capture video and then go through frame-by-frame. I'll try using VirtualDub, maybe, unless there's something that comes more highly recommended.

I would argue that you shouldn't do a SSLP of this, but rather a subtitled VLP, the reason being the soundtrack is a pivotal part of the experience and you're missing a lot with only images and music links. The gameplay lends itself well to it, too, with a fairly consistent pattern of 'Exposition -> Exploration -> Exposition -> Exploration -> etc...'.

That being said, I hope you do justice to the game, as TTM is one of my favorite games from the last few years. Good luck!

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Updated my test post to include the new take on our first part, having taken the advice given to heart.. we've tried to improve things all-round. There's now autoducking (of my own volition) and less talking over every line of dialog in general. I've edited out some parts in this video that felt sort of like fluff but there won't be cuts in most updates. We also tried to stay in Claptrap's cave a little less longer this time. There's just a lot of cool things to see in there for such a small area.

We've talked a great deal about our approach to the game and the commentary. I personally felt there was too much emphasis on the informative despite the "gimmick" being that I'm playing blind, and Alchanii has a few ideas on how to better dole out the info-bombs, which are still completely welcome.. we just aim to pace them better.

Here's the important bit if you've already seen the OP:

Sundowner posted:

The "cut commentary" button will be for the few cutscenes this game has. For the most part we will be talking over everything. If there's anything particularly interesting or worth hearing then I'll be making a concerted effort to show that.

(Alchanii's perspective is merely a bonus/supplemental thing and is not intended to be core to the LP. His POV will be up soon.)

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 5, 2013

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Having different POVs for the LP is a really cool idea, though I wish I could have both of them at one screen at once.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Segmentation Fault posted:

Having different POVs for the LP is a really cool idea, though I wish I could have both of them at one screen at once.

It could be interesting but with the way we're recording (a really annoying but functional setup) it's not necessarily easy for us to do that. My POV is intended to be "the LP". Alchanii's POV is sort of there just for those curious to see how he's playing. That and editing so that all cuts are the same as well as balancing both of our game audio (it'd seem weird to me to not hear one), and even just getting files back and forth would be tedious.

What is a little more conceivable is editing the videos in a way where it cuts to and from our gameplay streams at times but that might be something we do later if we do an NG+ run, or perhaps do something with the other two characters in a hacked-in NG+ for a bonus/gimmick run post-LP completion.

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
Why not just cut to whoever's screen is the most exciting or who is currently talking about something they're looking at? You could put your names in the corner so we know whose eyes we're looking through, but it might be a little bit more effort than what you'd like to do. It worked really well for Baldurk and Co.'s LP of Left 4 Dead.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

ritcheyz posted:

Why not just cut to whoever's screen is the most exciting or who is currently talking about something they're looking at? You could put your names in the corner so we know whose eyes we're looking through, but it might be a little bit more effort than what you'd like to do. It worked really well for Baldurk and Co.'s LP of Left 4 Dead.

It definitely could be done like that with a little more effort (which isn't a problem for me) but in all honesty the notion of offering an alternate POV was only brought up because Alchanii happened to record his while we did the first test run. I hadn't planned on it initially and figured I'd include it because it's there. What I had intended was just my POV, though I can certainly understand why viewers would maybe want to see the alternate perspective.

One thing the Borderlands 1 LP did was each update (or so) the perspective would shift all together to another player. That's not necessarily "fixing" this, but it seemed to work for them. The other issue is Alchanii's version will always have my audio baked in to the gameplay where as I get clean audio from both of us and thus I can autoduck and edit both tracks to my hearts content and generally keep the audio quality high. With that in mind, I'd rather stick to one primary POV.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Atelier Ayesha test OP and first update.

I have no intention of posting the thread until I'm done with my current one, which should take about a month and a half or so, tops, but I could definitely use some opinions on what I have now.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Sylphid posted:

Atelier Ayesha test OP and first update.

I have no intention of posting the thread until I'm done with my current one, which should take about a month and a half or so, tops, but I could definitely use some opinions on what I have now.

There's a 1px black line at the top of most images.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

Nice titling there. What font did you use? Did you trace the text path and offset it to create the outline effect?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Mush Man posted:

Nice titling there. What font did you use? Did you trace the text path and offset it to create the outline effect?

Thanks! It was actually quite straight forward. It's a 1px stroke and a hard drop shadow in Photoshop. The font is 'Streetbrush'.

Edit: So do those who watched think the Borderlands 2 LP is acceptable for a thread? We're feeling pretty happy about it and confident about the LP in general. Some opportunity for guests and thread interaction, we hope.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 5, 2013

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Is that Mass Effect Trilogy lp still going to happen? Because I would watch the poo poo out of that.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Sundowner posted:

Thanks! It was actually quite straight forward. It's a 1px stroke and a hard drop shadow in Photoshop. The font is 'Streetbrush'.

Edit: So do those who watched think the Borderlands 2 LP is acceptable for a thread? We're feeling pretty happy about it and confident about the LP in general. Some opportunity for guests and thread interaction, we hope.

One thing I'd add- where you're going to pull guests in, and what level they'd need to be.

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
Hey everybody, I was wondering what the recommended size is for an image in a character section for an OP.

This image is the one I captured directly from the game:

While this one is one I resized to be 300 pixels horizontally:

I know the first one is likely too large to be visually pleasing, but I wasn't sure how far down to shrink it and still have the image look okay. Should I go smaller and see how that goes, or is the 300 px version okay? There are only six characters I plan on including, if that makes a difference. I also realize there's a bit of blank space around his head, but I'd like the character portraits to all be the same size, as the other characters pose differently in their pictures.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Cryohazard posted:

One thing I'd add- where you're going to pull guests in, and what level they'd need to be.

This was mentioned before, yeah. What I suggested was I can pre-make a set of save files for each class around what level we'll be with the BL2 cheat engine (which is actually, as far as Alchanii tells me, not frowned upon by Gearbox.. it was used rampantly in BL1) and leave all skills unchecked so they can pop the save in, join the game and set up their skills before the session begins.

That's the best I can do to solve it unless someone who guests has a character close to our progress in game.

Edit: Re-reading your post, I realize you suggested we address that in the video/OP, I thought you were asking how we'd handle it. Right now we don't have a solid plan of when/where in-game, but it will certainly be after a few sessions of just ourselves. We want to make sure we get in to a groove and will likely start guesting when I hit the point where I'm actually playing blind, which is about another hour or so from where we left the last recording.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 5, 2013

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Sundowner posted:

Updated my test post to include the new take on our first part, having taken the advice given to heart.. we've tried to improve things all-round.

I think the new version captures the scripted events of the game much better - felt like my first time playing through it. Plus I love that intro song/cinematic too, so I'm glad you left it full volume most of the time for this one

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Well we're ready to go full steam ahead on the Borderlands 2 LP. Anything else we should take in to consideration? Otherwise, I'll have the thread up on Friday.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

ritcheyz posted:

Hey everybody, I was wondering what the recommended size is for an image in a character section for an OP.

This image is the one I captured directly from the game:

While this one is one I resized to be 300 pixels horizontally:

I know the first one is likely too large to be visually pleasing, but I wasn't sure how far down to shrink it and still have the image look okay. Should I go smaller and see how that goes, or is the 300 px version okay? There are only six characters I plan on including, if that makes a difference. I also realize there's a bit of blank space around his head, but I'd like the character portraits to all be the same size, as the other characters pose differently in their pictures.

If it's just a Character Introduction section that second size looks perfectly fine. Heck, even the first size probably wouldn't cause too many complaints if there's only six of 'em.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

thread's posted: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554075

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 11, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
GRFS was sort of in my targets for an LP but I guess I can write that off, this looks great. I actually really enjoy this game. For the flack it got, I was pleasantly surprised by some moments throughout. Squad-stealth strategizing is some of the most fun I've had in a military shooter in a while.

From what I've seen so far (having skipped some cutscenes I've already seen), things look and sound good. Commentary is spot on from both of you. Looking forward to this!

Edit: Aha, I have to disagree with your feelings toward the diamond sequences. I don't like when my shooters start playing themselves, but this is probably a discussion best left for the thread.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 6, 2013

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

So there's not been a SMAC LP here for six years. Time to change that.

I Haven't Yet Thought Up A Good Tagline: Let's Play Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri! (SSLP)

Old LP's video for the intro

Earth, 2060. Humanity on Earth has fallen into disarray. In response, the United Nations has built a colonization ship, the Unity, and sent it to the star Alpha Centauri in order to colonize the planet Chrion. However, shortly before the ship could land, the ship malfunctioned and the captain assassinated. Unable to trust each other, factions emerged along ideological lines. These factions took a colony pod each and jettisoned to the Planet shortly before the Unity broke apart in orbit. This is their story.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is a goon classic, arguably lauded around here as the best Civ game (with Civ IV generally being the other title in contention). There's an LP of it in the archive over here.. This however, was a) six years ago and b) the base game only. This LP includes the expansion, Alien Crossfire, with over double the starting factions and various rebalancings that make a great game even better. This means that we have 16 different options for a starting faction. We'll be playing on Talent difficulty, the third of six. This will make the game a challenge, for me at least. Planet will be a huge, random map, with average settings all around otherwise.

:siren: I plan to be very anti-spoiler. From the perspective of our chosen faction, we know almost nothing of what's going on at this point. We have no contact with Earth or even any other factions, and who knows what other surprises this planet has in store for a new species. :siren:

Now, we'll be going for the first thread vote. There are specifics to each faction which I'll translate to non-gamespeak below. A more nuanced faction profile will be shown for our chosen faction, along with an explanation of exactly what everything does.

Original Factions

:parrot:: The Gaians
Neo-hippies. Led by the Unity's xenobiologist.
+Very efficient due to recycling programs.
+Environmentally friendly.
-Hate cops.
-Believe that the capitalist system is, like, keeping us down, man.

:commissar:: The Hive
Police state. Led by the Unity's XO.
+Planned growth.
+Industry.
+Preplanned defenses give double of normal defense inside bases.
-Little economic freedom.
-Hates democracy.

:science:: The University
Scienctists, pure and simple. Led by the Unity's Chief Science Officer.
+Bases start with free Network Nodes for greater scientific productivity.
+Very research-oriented.
+One free starting tech.
-Said research is easy to steal.
-Unethical policies make one in four citizens unhappy by default.
-Hates fundamentialism.

:20bux:: Morgan Industries
Privately-funded megacorp. Led by African space-Trump.
+Starts with bonus cash.
+Healthily designed economy.
+Gets bonus cash from economic treaties.
-Hates planned economies.
-Needs infrastructure to grow sooner than others.

:jihad:: The Spartan Federation
The Tea Party IN SPACE. Led by the Unity Chief of Security.
+Well-disciplined military leads to more experienced units.
+Loves cops.
+Prototype units don't cost extra.
-Hates industry.
-Can't change their wealth modifier.

:catholic:: The Lord's Believers
The Sterotypical Fundmentalists IN SPACE. Led by the Unity Chaplain.
+Direct 25% bonus to attack.
+Better spies.
+Support for the military is drastically increased.
-Hate science.
-Don't care about the planet.
-Cannot research for the first ten turns.
-Cannot change their science modifier.

:smug:: The Humanitarians
Upholders of the U.N. Charter. Led by the Unity Surgeon.
+One in four citizens are happy by default.
+Needs infrastructure to grow cities later than others.
+Politically inclined.
-Inefficent due to heavy bureaucracy.
-Hates police states.

Expansion Factions

:spergin:: The Cyborgs
AI-integrated humans. Led by a subroutine specialist.
+Heavily research-inclined.
+Highly effecient.
+Can steal tech from captured bases, where other factions cannot
-Direct quote from the game: "Humans 'posessed by an algorithm' find reproduction awkard."
-Hates fundmentalism.

:yarr:: The Pirates
Navally-oriented faction. Led by the Unity Astrogation expert.
+Free naval yards, marines, aquatics enhancements, once prereqs are met.
-Ineffecient.
-Slower growth.

:ussr:: The Laborers
Workers' paradise. Led by a former foreman.
+Heavy industrial capability.
+Chance for population gain when others' bases revolt.
+One fewer population unit unhappy.
-Disinclined towards research.
-Hates environmentalism.

:techno:: The Informationists
The gossip's faction. Led by the Unity Helpdesk Girl.
+Very good spies whose actions are cheaper.
+Free spy training centers once prereqs are met.
+Gains any tech once three other infiltrated factions know it.
-Hate cops.
-Cannot choose some methodologies.

:geno:: The Cultists
Cultists that love this new Planet. Led by some kid they found out in the wilds.
+Heavily in tune with the environment.
+Planetary forces are easier to acquire.
-Economically disinclined, both in industrialism and pure economic interest.
-Cannot change their wealth modifier.

Two :cthulhu: species that us humans don't yet know exist so we can't be them.

I feel as though I'm missing some obvious things for this intro post. The meat of the LP itself, however, will be easy enough to create; threads like this tend to take on lives of their own and incorporating that is easy.

Sighence fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Sundowner posted:

Edit: Aha, I have to disagree with your feelings toward the diamond sequences. I don't like when my shooters start playing themselves, but this is probably a discussion best left for the thread.

I will straight up cut you if you speak ill of the diamond sequence again. The only real option the game had for what it wanted to do was either make it a full on cutscene or on rails, I think they made the right choice and it added some much needed variety to the level.

You only see it twice in game, too. I can think of a number of games that would gladly make you do that every second mission. For a game based on sneaking around and stealthily killing guys in the right order, GRFS goes out of its way to give you a unique experience whenever the opportunity arises.

• Locked thread