Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

grack posted:

What software version do you have?

It should be in System Settings - About - Software Information - Android Version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

This is your best bet: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2230763

You might want to try something like Helium Sync from the Play Store to back up your apps/data first just in case.

1. Download the software package on the bottom of the first post and unzip to a single file folder
2. Enable USB debugging (the blue quoted section near the bottom of the first post)
3. Attach your TF700 to your computer, wait for the drivers to get set up
4. Click run.bat, follow instructions

Good luck, if that doesn't work you might have to downgrade to root, which is a total pain in the rear end.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

grack posted:

The only annoying thing is having to tap "Build Number" so many times but that's inherent in all 4.2+ ROMs.
It isn't at all annoying once you've discovered it. However, I had to assimilate at least six contradictory sets of instructions in order to get there. In particular, why on earth would Cyanogenmod default to having "Developer Options" hidden? Surely anybody running Cyanogenmod is going to need the developer options?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It isn't at all annoying once you've discovered it. However, I had to assimilate at least six contradictory sets of instructions in order to get there. In particular, why on earth would Cyanogenmod default to having "Developer Options" hidden? Surely anybody running Cyanogenmod is going to need the developer options?

It's an effort to become more mainstream in terms of mobile OS and mirror how default Android works.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is there any reason why photo albums I have on Google+ don't show up in the Gallery app on my phone? Running CM10. I have Google Photos and Google+ synced, but nothing seems to show up in the app. I can view the photos just fine in the Google+ app, but the Gallery app is empty.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

teagone posted:

Is there any reason why photo albums I have on Google+ don't show up in the Gallery app on my phone? Running CM10. I have Google Photos and Google+ synced, but nothing seems to show up in the app. I can view the photos just fine in the Google+ app, but the Gallery app is empty.
Do you have the Google gallery or the CM gallery? AOSP doesn't have Google sync.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Do you have the Google gallery or the CM gallery? AOSP doesn't have Google sync.

Well that explains it. Pretty sure it's using the CM gallery/camera. Could I just flash this in recovery:http://rootzwiki.com/topic/31532-gapps-412-485486-jzo54k-gapps-package-1012/ and everything would turn out fine and dandy? My phone is a Galaxy S Blaze.

Nevermind, found a gapps for 4.1.2 that had the sync features baked in. All good now!

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 2, 2013

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So what's the consensus on moving apps to the sd with root? There's like 4 apps that claim to do it on Play, then the app on XDA called "directory bind". Some guidance would be appreciated.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

So what's the consensus on moving apps to the sd with root? There's like 4 apps that claim to do it on Play, then the app on XDA called "directory bind". Some guidance would be appreciated.

Do you mean for backups or actually running the apps from SD?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Running apps. Basically I have this one game that creates loads of data as you play (Motorbike by bakno games). Id like to put its game data on the sd (internal sd).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Avoid it if you can. Linking data between storage is a major pain in the rear end and clunky as hell.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I don't seem to have much of a choice, I really want this game. Some pointers would be nice.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

I don't seem to have much of a choice, I really want this game. Some pointers would be nice.

What device?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Generic Exynos 4412 tablet running ICS.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

Generic Exynos 4412 tablet running ICS.

Bleh, probably means you have really low ROM space... well, you can try directory bind if you want, it *should* work. Constant read/write to external SD cards isn't exactly healthy for them, though.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
how about the Link2SD app? One guy with my tablet is reporting success with it.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Im trying to flash twrp on a stock sprint galaxy note 2 (L900) and I have having trouble even though I've done this exact same thing with a dozen other phones.

1.)I downloaded the recovery from here: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/117
2.)Flashed with odin and checked the PDA, got the "pass" and "success".
3.)Phone reboots normally, I rebooted and held home+volumeup+power button.
4.) Phone reboots into normal recovery screen instead of twrp.

Is there something special about this phone that I need to do differently?

Edit: I tried flashing with odin 3x with same results, the stock recovery comes up instead of twrp.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 3, 2013

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just ordered an N4, would it make sense to root before I do anything else with it?

Actually I'm not sure what I would need it for, I'm going to use Adblock Plus and I guess rooting makes it work better? Other than that maybe it's not needed for me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

actionjackson posted:

I just ordered an N4, would it make sense to root before I do anything else with it?

Just unlock the bootloader right off the bat since that requires wiping. Play with the stock OS a bit to see if it suits you first.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
The leaked version of 4.2.2 for the HTC One is pretty darn solid. Battery life is dramatically improved, and the new radios are very strong. I haven't run into any bugs, the only things missing are lockscreen widgets (which I could care less about) and Photosphere (which is proprietary).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just unlock the bootloader right off the bat since that requires wiping. Play with the stock OS a bit to see if it suits you first.

Is there any downside to doing that?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

actionjackson posted:

Is there any downside to doing that?
I think it destroys DRM keys, but I don't think anything of importance actually uses them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay thanks, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

AppleCobbler posted:

The leaked version of 4.2.2 for the HTC One is pretty darn solid. Battery life is dramatically improved, and the new radios are very strong. I haven't run into any bugs, the only things missing are lockscreen widgets (which I could care less about) and Photosphere (which is proprietary).

Link?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2183023

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Thanks! I just realized Trickdroid AND ARHD updated to the 4.2.2 base. I've been enjoying an older version of trickdroid, but maybe I'll give ARHD a shot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

madkapitolist posted:

Im trying to flash twrp on a stock sprint galaxy note 2 (L900) and I have having trouble even though I've done this exact same thing with a dozen other phones.

1.)I downloaded the recovery from here: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/117
2.)Flashed with odin and checked the PDA, got the "pass" and "success".
3.)Phone reboots normally, I rebooted and held home+volumeup+power button.
4.) Phone reboots into normal recovery screen instead of twrp.

Is there something special about this phone that I need to do differently?

Edit: I tried flashing with odin 3x with same results, the stock recovery comes up instead of twrp.
Booting the phone will reflash the stock recovery unless you delete the script, which booting into recovery first should do.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Hows the camera on the rooted verizon galaxy s4? I know samsung does a lot with their camera software, does it make a big difference if I go to something closer to stock?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

5436 posted:

Hows the camera on the rooted verizon galaxy s4? I know samsung does a lot with their camera software, does it make a big difference if I go to something closer to stock?
When you say rooted, do you mean using CM or something? Rooting by itself should not have any impact on the camera.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Tunga posted:

When you say rooted, do you mean using CM or something? Rooting by itself should not have any impact on the camera.

I meant to say unlocking the bootloader and flashing a custom rom. Something like CM10 or any rom that is close to stock and bug free.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

What's the benefit of using something like apps2sd over using the 'move to SD card' button when you manage your apps?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It depends on the exact implementation but the built-in option doesn't work for all apps and won't move the dalvik cache, so you can end up with a bunch of stuff that cannot be moved.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

5436 posted:

I meant to say unlocking the bootloader and flashing a custom rom. Something like CM10 or any rom that is close to stock and bug free.

I wasn't aware that the Galaxy S4 family had publicly available bootloader unlocks yet. Last I heard the guys working on it were waiting for every US carrier to release their S4s so that none could issue patches to block vulnerabilities.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Install Gentoo posted:

I wasn't aware that the Galaxy S4 family had publicly available bootloader unlocks yet. Last I heard the guys working on it were waiting for every US carrier to release their S4s so that none could issue patches to block vulnerabilities.

That's for the ATT/VZW versions. The T-Mo and international versions have had everything for a while now, I think similar for the Sprint version.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

5436 posted:

If it's anything like the s3 (which I think is a safe assumption) the camera wont be as good on a AOSP rom like CM. Unless of course they open source the camera app and drivers for the AOSP version of the S4, but this is Samsung we're talking about here.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Hey so I've gotten the itch for modding my N4.

Unfortunately XDA is still a clusterfuck and a half, so can someone let me know what the top three or so roms for the N4 are? I mean I figure Cyanogen's a safe bet but obviously nothing is out on stable yet. So far I'm really not displeased with the stock build but you know how it is.

It'd just be nice to have the option for a decent kernel for oc/uv, notification toggle selection, and lockscreen shortcuts. That's really all I want at this point considering everything else in Jellybean is pretty much fantastic now that I have solid hardware behind the software.

Thoughts?

Edit: What the gently caress does "Bionic Linaro" mean?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

MC Hawking posted:

Unfortunately XDA is still a clusterfuck and a half, so can someone let me know what the top three or so roms for the N4 are?

I'd definitely look for AOKP and ParanoidAndroid builds for the N4. Also TeamLiquid's LiquidSmooth ROMs are pretty dang nice.

As for "Bionic Linaro" it describes a particular set of tools that the dev uses to cook up the ROM. I have no idea what the "Bionic" part is but Linaro is the supposedly more performance-oriented way to compile Android builds. After looking through a few threads the "Bionic" qualifier has no more effect on performance than flame stickers on a car.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MC Hawking posted:

Unfortunately XDA is still a clusterfuck and a half, so can someone let me know what the top three or so roms for the N4 are? I mean I figure Cyanogen's a safe bet but obviously nothing is out on stable yet. So far I'm really not displeased with the stock build but you know how it is.

It'd just be nice to have the option for a decent kernel for oc/uv, notification toggle selection, and lockscreen shortcuts. That's really all I want at this point considering everything else in Jellybean is pretty much fantastic now that I have solid hardware behind the software.

Thoughts?

You can't overclock the N4. It will always go back to scaling on demand no matter what you do because that's how the scheduler works in that chipset. That having been said I like and still prefer the CM way of managing the Quick Settings Panel, but now that I've gotten used to leaving wifi on all the time I find I only use it for toggling airplane mode which I think the stock QSP does as well.

By the way, CM10.1 is about as stable as it's going to get. It's on RC4 and there's no instability in the nightlies whatsoever. I definitely understand not wanting to flash every day, but with the current builds there's no reason to. It's not like anything major will be introduced between RC4 and Stable.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

quick question about cm10. I'm on 10.1.0-RC2, is there anything I should be worried about when updating to 10.1.0-RC4? Should I have my phone update to RC3 first? And is it alright to have my phone update itself, I'd rather not have to re flash my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

b0red posted:

quick question about cm10. I'm on 10.1.0-RC2, is there anything I should be worried about when updating to 10.1.0-RC4? Should I have my phone update to RC3 first? And is it alright to have my phone update itself, I'd rather not have to re flash my phone.

You can flash RC4 right over RC2 ('dirty flash'). If you really want to be picky, you can boot into TWRP or CWM and wipe the cache and dalvik cache, but that's not really necessary.