Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WASDF posted:

Looks to be unavailable in the states... guess not.

Nah, you can get it in the US. I've seen it in stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Jasta posted:

Any of you buy Random Access Memories? I'm listening to it right now and am loving it. It's a nice double album gatefold with a big booklet and download code. The pressing sounds great, too. Mine says "Made in EU" so possibly there is an American release, too? gently caress, I love Daft Punk. :parrot:

Yeah mine sounds great, I'll have to check where mine was made. I don't think mine came with a booklet though :(.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Does anyone *want* my copy of RAM? Opened, unplayed.

I listened to it on Spotify, I didn't like it

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

shmee posted:

What sort of things have people found inside second hand records they've picked up?

As bullshit as this may sound I found weed (99% sure) crumbs/stems inside the plastic sleeve on one of my Dad's old Creedence albums.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

luncheon meat posted:

As bullshit as this may sound I found weed (99% sure) crumbs/stems inside the plastic sleeve on one of my Dad's old Creedence albums.

It's possible. I bought my copy of Sgt. Pepper's at a flea market, there were obvious weed stems all on the "crease" of the gatefold.

More on the subject, when I bought my initial Prince collection (all the studio albums from "For You" to Sign O the Times, for only $10!), the copy of Prince had a pound of clippings in it. Pictures of Prince, concert listings, reviews of the Purple Rain film. Good stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Me in Reverse posted:

Does anyone *want* my copy of RAM? Opened, unplayed.

I listened to it on Spotify, I didn't like it

Possibly. PM how much you want for it with shipping (it can be a rough estimate, I live in Boston) and we'll go from there?

I listened to it on Spotify, I liked it

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

shmee posted:

What sort of things have people found inside second hand records they've picked up?
Picked up an LP of a local new wave band from a garage sale, like an idiot didn't check the condition of the vinyl. Got home and found no record, just clippings of pictures of new wave heartthrobs (Robert Smith, flock of seagulls etc) that a young girl must have thought were dreamy a long time ago.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
BMSR/Tobacco fans: the Demon Queen (Zackey Force Funk + Tobacco collab) LP, "Exorcise Tape" is up for pre-order from Rad Cult. Should be pretty cool.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

More on the subject, when I bought my initial Prince collection (all the studio albums from "For You" to Sign O the Times, for only $10!), the copy of Prince had a pound of clippings in it. Pictures of Prince, concert listings, reviews of the Purple Rain film. Good stuff.

This is cool, sort of like what I had. I found the David Byrne clippings a nice little surprise, especially as at Disk Union I thought they would chuck stuff like that out if they found it.

Farts Domino posted:

Picked up an LP of a local new wave band from a garage sale, like an idiot didn't check the condition of the vinyl. Got home and found no record, just clippings of pictures of new wave heartthrobs (Robert Smith, flock of seagulls etc) that a young girl must have thought were dreamy a long time ago.

Man, must have been a lot of clippings.

I remember reading an interview with Gaz Coombes of Supergrass who said one of his first records was 'Relics' by Pink Floyd, which he got second hand. Someone had spent the time to colour in the cover so it wasn't until years later that he found out it was supposed to be a black and white line drawing and someone had just got a bit arty. Can'd find the interview now, had a nice photo of it. They'd done a really good job!

Edit: Does anyone know if 'EMOH' by Lou Barlow was a very limited release. There never seem to be any for sale on Discogs or Amazon or anywhere, except an overpriced copy I saw on eBay. Sucks as I love that album.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Talking to a local record dealer a while back, I was told that he had often found old nude Polaroids and Playboy clippings hidden in records. The only odd thing I can remember finding in an album sleeve was some sand. Oh, and an old flyer from a grocery store circa 1980.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
It looks like Speaking In Tongues and Fear of Music are getting the remastered / reissued treatment. Just preorded them on Amazon. Woot!

Details at Elusive Disc

http://www.elusivedisc.com/TALKING-HEADS-SPEAKING-IN-TONGUES-180g-LP/productinfo/WBLP79666/

http://www.elusivedisc.com/THE-TALKING-HEADS-FEAR-OF-MUSIC-180g-LP/productinfo/WBLP79655/

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I found some bad drawings of John Lennon and Help instead of Meet the Beatles in a Meet the Beatles sleeve. It was a buck, but I've learned to inspect my records more closely.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Peacebone posted:

It looks like Speaking In Tongues and Fear of Music are getting the remastered / reissued treatment. Just preorded them on Amazon. Woot!

Details at Elusive Disc

http://www.elusivedisc.com/TALKING-HEADS-SPEAKING-IN-TONGUES-180g-LP/productinfo/WBLP79666/

http://www.elusivedisc.com/THE-TALKING-HEADS-FEAR-OF-MUSIC-180g-LP/productinfo/WBLP79655/

I really hope that the Speaking in Tongues reissue features the full album on vinyl, instead of with the edits. The regular album is only 47 minutes, and that's really not that long to put on a record. Especially compared to what they were doing in the 80s with playtimes anyway.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The new album by David Lynch is getting a super classy (and limited) Sacred Bones release:

http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/releases/sbr109/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The new album by David Lynch is getting a super classy (and limited) Sacred Bones release:

For whatever reason, at first I thought you meant singing comedian Stephen Lynch- and I was surprised that the songs seemed relatively serious and that he'd done a track with Lykke Li. Given that I haven't been 12 in over a decade, this is way better. But I'm still not buying it.

Also, I'm so sorry guys. I'm the rear end in a top hat who bought that copy of Philosophy of the World on ebay.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 4, 2013

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

Peacebone posted:

Details at Elusive Disc

Got a link to amazon pages? I can't find them.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

For whatever reason, at first I thought you meant singing comedian Stephen Lynch- and I was surprised that the songs seemed relatively serious and that he'd done a track with Lykke Li. Given that I haven't been 12 in over a decade, this is way better. But I'm still not buying it.

Also, I'm so sorry guys. I'm the rear end in a top hat who bought that copy of Philosophy of the World on ebay.

Foot foot foot foot...

Beef Poet
Feb 17, 2011

shmee posted:

What sort of things have people found inside second hand records they've picked up? I got David Byrne's "Music for The Knee Plays" today and inside it had some cuttings from the New York Times from 2007 called "Indie Rock's Patron Saint Inspires New Flock" with some stuff about doing a new performance of the album at Carnegie Hall. Sadly not from the time / about the original performances but still interesting to see. There was also a card typed up of the songs from the album, which I know people do, though I have zero idea why.. I'm sure people have found much better things than this though.

I found a copy of the tour program for Queen's 1977-78 North American tour inside a used copy of Jazz I picked up (and that album had a copy of the naked girls on bicycles poster). Definitely my coolest find.

In other cool news, I took a chance of pre-ordering a copy of the Mondo edition of Drive when Amazon.ca put it up for pre-order a month or so ago, and it arrived today - and I got a pink copy. Pretty pleased, since I half expected my order to just get eventually cancelled.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You cannot please. Everybody. IN THIS WORLD!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

You cannot please. Everybody. IN THIS WORLD!

It was still up the morning after I posted the link and nobody seemed to be budging on it and I got tempted. It's arguably the closest thing to an "investment piece" in my collection now- if only because this one was $80 and most of 'em seem to sell for $90+. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Was it a Third World, or Red Rooster?

What do the actual Third Worlds go for, do they ever come up for sale?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

Was it a Third World, or Red Rooster?

What do the actual Third Worlds go for, do they ever come up for sale?

Red Rooster, of course. Third Worlds show up for sale once every alignment of the planets and they go for at least a grand.

And your average Red Rooster goes for about $100 in good condition.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

Harry Privates posted:

Got a link to amazon pages? I can't find them.

http://www.amazon.com/Fear-Music-Ta...+of+music+vinyl

http://www.amazon.com/Speaking-Tongues-180-Gram-Vinyl/dp/B00C81MW6O/ref=tmm_vnl_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1370389345&sr=8-1

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It was still up the morning after I posted the link and nobody seemed to be budging on it and I got tempted. It's arguably the closest thing to an "investment piece" in my collection now- if only because this one was $80 and most of 'em seem to sell for $90+. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

It's a good purchase IMO. Realistically it can only go up in value as time goes on so yeah you were justified in buying it.

(is that what you wanted to hear?)

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm the rear end in a top hat who bought that copy of Philosophy of the World on ebay.

Good for you.

Once I found a slip of paper with Roger McGuinn's autograph in a copy of Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Despite the tepid reviews I am really digging the Beatles stereo box set. No issues yet. Although I can see where the stereo tricks can get annoying (sound bouncing from left to right for no real reason etc.). Steal at 220 (amazon marketplace).

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

beergod posted:

Despite the tepid reviews I am really digging the Beatles stereo box set. No issues yet. Although I can see where the stereo tricks can get annoying (sound bouncing from left to right for no real reason etc.). Steal at 220 (amazon marketplace).

I didn't get the boxed set, but I bought a couple of the albums and they sound great to me. I'll probably buy a mono box set if they make one though.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The last third world to sell listed on Popsike went for $1281 in 2005, which even in this condition seems (personally) almost reasonable for a notorious album that there are only 100 known copies of.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Beaten to delivery of what I hope will be a great album. Looks real promising so far. You have been cross posted, good sir.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

shmee posted:

Not something that I found personally, but a guy digging through a major Chicago jazz collection found this (warning, drawing of horse penis ahead):

:nws:

http://i.imgur.com/kFqpBls.jpg

The finder speculated that the guy had a fetish for horse cock, and that his record collection was the ideal place to hide his fantasies from his wife.

And yeah, record jackets are an ideal surface on which to roll blunts and such--flat, not too big, cool background graphics--so while I haven't ever found any weed in one, I doubt it's that uncommon.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 6, 2013

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
You should probably :nws: that :stare:

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Doctor Cave posted:

You should probably :nws: that :stare:

Thanks for the heads up. I work primarily at home, so I sometimes forget that sort of thing.

Also, I'm rather amazed at this:

http://www.popsike.com/Extremely-Rare-Vinyl/140928196528.html

That really is a rare record, but that he managed to get that much for it by calling it "Extremely Rare Vinyl" (and not mentioning the actual name anywhere) astonishes me somewhat. People must be scouring the poo poo on eBay; I doubt I ever would have even found that.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Jeez that photo. I don't even...

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I'm betting it was saved searches for the matrix # that tipped a few people and it was spottable by the high starting price and early bidding bump. I've got saved searches for uncommon catalog number prefixes for labels I'm looking for and it's caught a number of auctions where people list the artist / title / catalog number better never actually use the label name. (Or it was record that didn't use the label name.)

But yeah, just about nothing slips by on eBay. Before the redesign you used to be able to filter by number of bids so you could do searches to find records that caught a really early bid or had a lot of bids nearing the end and find good records you didn't know about. It only takes two people.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Limited vinyl edition of Sebadoh's recent Secret EP: http://www.insound.com/Secret-EP-Vinyl-10inch-Sebadoh/P/INS120020/

You can listen to it in its entirety here: http://sebadoh.bandcamp.com/

I think they're only doing 300 of green vinyl or something.

This is especially cool to me, because I mailed Loewenstein a Zvex Distortron pedal, and I guess it ended up being used for solos on the record.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
My Mondo copy of the Drive OST showed up today, it`s one of the pink ones. :woop:

Also, was given this haul the other day:

A lot of the jackets are quite haggard but the records I actually stopped to peek at looked pretty good.

70s and 80s rock to the max. :rock:

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

izationalizer posted:

http://i.imgur.com/kFqpBls.jpg

The finder speculated that the guy had a fetish for horse cock, and that his record collection was the ideal place to hide his fantasies from his wife.

Lol, this picture owns

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005

7lip posted:

Also, was given this haul the other day:

A lot of the jackets are quite haggard but the records I actually stopped to peek at looked pretty good.

70s and 80s rock to the max. :rock:

Woah, nice. Is that a Gauze record under the Monks one?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks is available for preorder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Lungs posted:

Woah, nice. Is that a Gauze record under the Monks one?

Nah, Gary O- Shades of 45