Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

fivre posted:

Does he keep a cow in the darkroom?

No, he keeps a family of racoons though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
http://www.cultofmac.com/229512/chicago-sun-times-lays-off-entire-photo-staff-will-give-reporters-iphoneography-training/
Next month they announce all reporters will be let go, but interns will get microsoft word training

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

quote:

Sun-Times photographer Alex Garcia argues that the “idea that freelancers and reporters could replace a photo staff with iPhones is idiotic at worst, and hopelessly uninformed at best.” Garcia believes that reporters are incapable of writing articles and also producing quality media, but she’s fighting an uphill battle.

Except that Alex Garcia is a man. Nice reporting, cultofmac. Here is Garcia's piece: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/assignment-chicago/2013/05/the-idiocy-of-eliminating-a-photo-staff.html

I know nothing about news reporting but I imagine that quality will suffer.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I find it vaguely amusing that the Chicago Tribune's article on this doesn't have any pictures but rather video.

I personally find stills to be easier to consume than video. It seems people constantly seem to push video as an evolution of stills but really they are consumed very differently. Unfortunately for photojournalism it seems like the move is to shoot video and scrub it for stills to use and try and kill two birds with one stone.

It will be interesting to see how much of a poo poo the readers will give.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

People read newspapers?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

aliencowboy posted:

People read newspapers?

to look at the pictur.... oh wait.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

quote:

The iPhone has a better camera than most digital point-and-shoots, and more importantly, it is in everyone’s pocket.
:toot:

My four--edit:six year old Ixus takes better and cleaner pictures than the iPhone. But I guess the smartphone brigade scored a major win with their photo bullshitting.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 2, 2013

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Paragon8 posted:

I find it vaguely amusing that the Chicago Tribune's article on this doesn't have any pictures but rather video.

I personally find stills to be easier to consume than video. It seems people constantly seem to push video as an evolution of stills but really they are consumed very differently. Unfortunately for photojournalism it seems like the move is to shoot video and scrub it for stills to use and try and kill two birds with one stone.

Any time a news item is a report filed as a video without a transcription I instantly close the window. Time to read a transcription ~1 minute. Time to watch the video? ~3-6 minutes plus now I have to put on headphones. Do. not. want.

The only time video is ok is if they have video of whatever the story is about, e.g. guy gets in huge shootout with police, here is a video of the shootout.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

So I decided to see what would be my bare essentials that I would have on me if I needed to minimalize the stuff I carry. 4 items, not bad.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 3, 2013

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Dren posted:

Any time a news item is a report filed as a video without a transcription I instantly close the window. Time to read a transcription ~1 minute. Time to watch the video? ~3-6 minutes plus now I have to put on headphones. Do. not. want.

The only time video is ok is if they have video of whatever the story is about, e.g. guy gets in huge shootout with police, here is a video of the shootout.

I agree with this completely. The kicker? I shoot video for a living.

Also, scrubbing video for stills is a terrible idea. Video is shot at 1/60 sec pretty much no matter what, almost anything moving fast enough to be interesting will have more motion blur than people are used to seeing in stills. Not to mention that the notion that reporters can create quality video on an iPhone is just as offensive as the notion that they can shoot quality photos. Perhaps even more laughable, actually, since you introduce terrible sound to the mix as well.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Chitin posted:

I agree with this completely. The kicker? I shoot video for a living.

Also, scrubbing video for stills is a terrible idea. Video is shot at 1/60 sec pretty much no matter what, almost anything moving fast enough to be interesting will have more motion blur than people are used to seeing in stills. Not to mention that the notion that reporters can create quality video on an iPhone is just as offensive as the notion that they can shoot quality photos. Perhaps even more laughable, actually, since you introduce terrible sound to the mix as well.

Give it five years we'll be seeing nothing but portrait oriented videos in our news reports as journos try and figure out their iPhone 9s

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Does someone have a link handy to that article of photographers that students should never look at? It was a bit tongue-in-cheek and one of the photographers was Stephen Shore.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Fragrag posted:

Does someone have a link handy to that article of photographers that students should never look at? It was a bit tongue-in-cheek and one of the photographers was Stephen Shore.

http://lpvmagazine.com/2010/05/oped-photographers-whose-work-aspiring-photographers-should-ignore/ ?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

"Someone else already did it better -- don't bother getting off your couch"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Dren posted:

"Someone else already did it better -- don't bother getting off your couch"

Photograph your cat while sitting on your couch. Use the wi-fi capabilities of your Canon 6D (tm) to upload cats to the internet, all from your catch.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Someone already did it better, so I'm gonna do it worse.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Worse isn't good enough. You must do it offensively!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Dren posted:

Worse isn't good enough. You must do it offensively!

Why choose?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
I urge everyone to read this editorial article on photography, the web, and the curatorial work of photography. It's brilliant.

Google's macchia.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

VomitOnLino posted:

I urge everyone to read this editorial article on photography, the web, and the curatorial work of photography. It's brilliant.

Google's macchia.
Very interesting. The first macchia was rather uninteresting but the other three were amazing. It would be kind of cool to be able to have google compile collections of your own work for you. Say enter several hundred photos you took throughout the last few years, choose one as the base and do a google SBI.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

VomitOnLino posted:

Google's macchia.

Wow what a wonderful article. I have spent time browsing Flickr, usually the strobist group, in search of images containing deep shadow at play with a bright pop of light and vivid color. I was looking for a certain aesthetic, or macchia, to borrow the term from the article. The old Flickr format of showing thumbnails was actually perfect for this task. Each thumbnail is too small to really reveal detail at first glance, it shows only an impression of the total image. So I would browse through, looking for thumbnails that popped at me. There is something undeniable about a photo that is interesting as a thumbnail and that remains interesting at full size. Perhaps my favorite photographer who creates images such as this is Dustin Diaz. I'm afraid my stuff often doesn't capture the interesting even as a thumbnail criteria. But when I get there it's a very satisfying feeling.

Thanks again for the article. To have a term that helps describe the way I've been looking at images is fantastic. I intend to play with image search and some of the photos I like to see what pops out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I never knew google had that search by image thing going.. didn't flickr have something like that at some point? I remember early on they had a fairly open API and there were a lot of neat hacks that people were working on.

The thing is just begging for someone to do a project on the results. The similar images feature produces some hilarious results:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I don't recall Flickr ever having anything like that. The closest they come is interestingness, which is as or more concerned with popularity as it is with aesthetic. I've always wanted search by color.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dren posted:

I don't recall Flickr ever having anything like that. The closest they come is interestingness, which is as or more concerned with popularity as it is with aesthetic. I've always wanted search by color.

http://labs.tineye.com/multicolr

:haw:

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

VomitOnLino posted:

Google's macchia.

This is awesome. Repeat: everyone go read this.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Holy poo poo thanks.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

this owns

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Paragon8 posted:

One of the laid-off photographers has posted a blog, using an iphone to make a point.

http://laidofffromthesuntimes.tumblr.com/

Thing is, I can't tell if he is deliberately taking lovely photos to emphasise that point, or if he isn't that good a photographer. the iphone isn't a great P&S, but it isn't that bad, either.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Yeah, they're not great.

I think I'll link him to my Indian cow collection. He needs more foundation.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I want to see that Indian Cow collection. I might regret that desire.

14-year-old uses modern technology to create very cool self-portraits.
Adults (presumably) use modern technology to call each other morons in the comments.
http://www.demilked.com/surreal-sel...ion_object_map=

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Just for you, ExecuDork.

http://imgur.com/a/bgTiT

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sikh cows, brahmin.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
My first exhibition. It didn't turn out exactly as I wanted but if we manage to sell this one we'll make some improvements for the next one.

Sorry for horrible color balance. Thank you everyone in the Dorkroom who have critiqued my photos during the years!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Very nice! Was this taken in Hong Kong? I can't remember if I already told you but I really enjoyed your Project 52 you posted somewhere in the DR last year. I seem to remember some from HK in there as well. I love the seemingly endless skyline you can find in HK.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thank you!

I feel like this one would make a good avatar. It's the tongue sticking out that suggests fluency in posting etiquette, I think.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

'Man with pink shirt, unawares'
Photographic print
$1500

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

This is freaking awesome. I thought you mirrored it for a second because I was like "way too long".

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ringo R posted:

'Man with pink shirt, unawares'
Photographic print
$1500

If you straighten the vertical, I bet this would sell better. Oh, and crop it down to square.

Valdara fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 6, 2013

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Saint Fu posted:

Very nice! Was this taken in Hong Kong? I can't remember if I already told you but I really enjoyed your Project 52 you posted somewhere in the DR last year. I seem to remember some from HK in there as well. I love the seemingly endless skyline you can find in HK.

Yup, Tin Shui Wai in Hong Kong. And thanks! :)

Helmacron posted:

This is freaking awesome. I thought you mirrored it for a second because I was like "way too long".

Had a wide wall to fill so it had to be wide :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

The photo in the back looks like an interesting idea, has anyone done a series of life-sized/to scale prints?