Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

TheAbominableSnow posted:

So I've never cosplayed (properly) before, and I've been wanting to get into it. I have a couple simpler ones planned, but. I kind of also want to do this character:

Which looks absolutely INSANE. I've been teaching myself to sew, and I think I could thrift/ebay/mod most of the outfit, but that round head and ridiculous collar look pretty crazy. Any thoughts on how that might be possible? Or, more accurately, possible for someone with very little experience? Sewing I can manage, but I have no clue how to hack it with prop making.

I did have an idea for the head, though it's not entirely accurate to the character. Kind of a helmet-slash-fencing mask kinda thing.

I'm not even thinking about that collar right now. Cardboard and starched fabric? I realize this is a nutty costume for a beginner to consider, but this design has really caught my fancy.

Also no no no no you do not want cardboard. You want interfacing. A mid-weight one might be able to hold the fabric like that, but I know for sure they make a heavy-weight one that's generally intended for crafts that will definitely hold it up properly and should be washable. Something like this would work well, I believe, and you should be able to find it or something like it by-the-yard/meter in a store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

syntaxrigger posted:

I had absolutely no involvement in this.

I thought I'd post it here regardless as his process was amazing, involved and well documented.

Hoping it helps someone else out or gives people rad ideas that I can continue to be amazed by. :3:

Whole Album

Here are a couple photos from my build of a Symbiot version of the same suit. I will get some of my client when he wears it to Denver Comic-Con. There aren't any written instructions and since the suit I was making wasn't the standard Spider-Man it was rather tricky. Esp. the gloves.

The inside of the head.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
That is insanely creepy looking.

What kind of a cost does one of those run once finished?

Also what kind of shape are you in? I'm relatively muscular on a really narrow build, and I still can't imagine wearing a full bodysuit.

Network42 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 1, 2013

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

I know this was posted a year ago but I have that exact vest (not the coat). You can get it from a store on ebay and it is incredibly cheap with worldwide delivery ($34).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VE34-Mens-premium-layered-style-slim-vest-waist-coat-/170632461687?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&var=&hash=item6d70288e0b

The coat is also among their items.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Grogsy posted:

I know this was posted a year ago but I have that exact vest (not the coat). You can get it from a store on ebay and it is incredibly cheap with worldwide delivery ($34).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VE34-Mens-premium-layered-style-slim-vest-waist-coat-/170632461687?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&var=&hash=item6d70288e0b

The coat is also among their items.

That's strange! I did find them but they're made by a company called TheLees and are about ~$60 each for all of their coats, which is really good for something of that quality. I bought one a few months ago and it's really really good. But that ebay seller you linked, huh. It looks like a knockoff seller? But you said the quality is fine? Illegal reselling? I'm confused at how they're selling them for cheaper and have completely hidden the brand, hmh!

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

Jewel posted:

That's strange! I did find them but they're made by a company called TheLees and are about ~$60 each for all of their coats, which is really good for something of that quality. I bought one a few months ago and it's really really good. But that ebay seller you linked, huh. It looks like a knockoff seller? But you said the quality is fine? Illegal reselling? I'm confused at how they're selling them for cheaper and have completely hidden the brand, hmh!

Pretty sure its illegal reselling. A crate falls of the truck every now and then and the driver makes a bit on the side through ebay.

I have a funny story about that. A friend of mine broke the windshield on his car and got a new one really cheap. Apparently it fell of a truck...and didn't break :)

the tag on mine says "JBOOM make your style"

I can post a picture of it and we can go all detective :^)

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Network42 posted:

That is insanely creepy looking.

What kind of a cost does one of those run once finished?

Also what kind of shape are you in? I'm relatively muscular on a really narrow build, and I still can't imagine wearing a full bodysuit.

All the materials (pattern, fabric, eyes) cost about $300, plus I am paypalling Funhilde for the awesome job she did sewing it up tonight.

As far as build goes, I am very lean.

this is how it looks all sewn up and on a person:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Old Man Pants posted:

All the materials (pattern, fabric, eyes) cost about $300, plus I am paypalling Funhilde for the awesome job she did sewing it up tonight.

As far as build goes, I am very lean.

this is how it looks all sewn up and on a person:

I want to fix the zipper a bit if possible. Sewing it together was a challenge but I think it looks great. I think spidey works better on a smaller person.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

broken pixel posted:

Hey LadyRavenWaves and any others! We should meet up at A-Kon. I'm almost there myself and should be around through early-mid Sunday afternoon. If anyone has PMs, feel free to send or request a phone number.

Edit: If we meet today, I might ask for some finishing tips on my outfit. I'm close to being done but still have some details left to go. :downs:

Awww drat I wish I had checked here before leaving I would have been so down. This weekend was nuts. My costume schedule got all kinds of mixed up after I had the scare that a tornado might be ripping up my house Friday afternoon. Sylvanas didn't even place in the game contest, some drunk guy in a dead pool costume dropped me on the ground, and I never got to drink... like at all. Man I totally botched this con. Ah well I had fun wearing my stuff and got to hang out with my Texas friends. So it wasn't a complete waist hopefully I will find some pics of full on Sylvanas so I can share, I think it was at least still pretty cool.

Edit: Found one

LadyRavenWaves fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 3, 2013

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Nightmare Moon photoshoot!!

Also, we spent the whole weekend drafting and sawing out silhouettes and crosspieces, then filling them in with pink foam for StarCraft space marines. These suits are going to be somewhat scaled down for obvious reasons but they are still going to be seriously MASSIVE.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

McPantserton posted:

Nightmare Moon photoshoot!!

Also, we spent the whole weekend drafting and sawing out silhouettes and crosspieces, then filling them in with pink foam for StarCraft space marines. These suits are going to be somewhat scaled down for obvious reasons but they are still going to be seriously MASSIVE.

You wear a bra while you wear that? Did that make it easier to form the "chest armor"?

Wow... that sounds incredibly creepy :ohdear:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Red Robin Hood posted:

You wear a bra while you wear that? Did that make it easier to form the "chest armor"?

Wow... that sounds incredibly creepy :ohdear:

The bra gives me a hefty cleavage boost, haha. I shaped the boobs over a styrofoam ball.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

McPantserton posted:

The bra gives me a hefty cleavage boost, haha. I shaped the boobs over a styrofoam ball.

Do you line the boobs with anything at all? For the armor is it sweaty or do you use something inside of it to make it better? Do you have pictures of the insides of any of your armor you could share? Basically I can't figure anything out with out seeing the inside.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Funhilde posted:

Do you line the boobs with anything at all? For the armor is it sweaty or do you use something inside of it to make it better? Do you have pictures of the insides of any of your armor you could share? Basically I can't figure anything out with out seeing the inside.

I lined the inside of the breastplate with some random fabric so it wouldn't scuff up the bra. And yeah it's loving sweaty as hell. I felt terrible for my husband, he had to help me adjust the underarm straps of the pauldrons a lot. :gonk: I'll take some inside pics when I get home but the breastplate is kind of sloppy on the inside so don't judge me!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

McPantserton posted:

I lined the inside of the breastplate with some random fabric so it wouldn't scuff up the bra. And yeah it's loving sweaty as hell. I felt terrible for my husband, he had to help me adjust the underarm straps of the pauldrons a lot. :gonk: I'll take some inside pics when I get home but the breastplate is kind of sloppy on the inside so don't judge me!

I have no reference point on which to judge. I just like to see the insides of projects.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Awww drat I wish I had checked here before leaving I would have been so down. This weekend was nuts. My costume schedule got all kinds of mixed up after I had the scare that a tornado might be ripping up my house Friday afternoon. Sylvanas didn't even place in the game contest, some drunk guy in a dead pool costume dropped me on the ground, and I never got to drink... like at all. Man I totally botched this con. Ah well I had fun wearing my stuff and got to hang out with my Texas friends. So it wasn't a complete waist hopefully I will find some pics of full on Sylvanas so I can share, I think it was at least still pretty cool.

Edit: Found one

It's not a problem at all! I completely sympathize with the tornado potentially ripping up your house thing... It always throws you for a loop. I can't believe you didn't place, and seriously, gently caress Deadpool #349 (how many were there?).

I enjoyed myself, too, but some people seem really pissed about issues with the new hotel. I'll admit, they need to fix some things, but I understand it's not easy to make that transition. Hopefully they'll concede and mail our pre-registration passes next year.

I had a lot of fun hanging out with other League of Legends cosplayers this year. I'll post a picture of my outfit and a group picture of all of us soon. I can't thank you guys enough for the tips and encouragement! It gave me the drive to do what little I could in a busy week.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

broken pixel posted:

It's not a problem at all! I completely sympathize with the tornado potentially ripping up your house thing... It always throws you for a loop. I can't believe you didn't place, and seriously, gently caress Deadpool #349 (how many were there?).

I enjoyed myself, too, but some people seem really pissed about issues with the new hotel. I'll admit, they need to fix some things, but I understand it's not easy to make that transition. Hopefully they'll concede and mail our pre-registration passes next year.

I had a lot of fun hanging out with other League of Legends cosplayers this year. I'll post a picture of my outfit and a group picture of all of us soon. I can't thank you guys enough for the tips and encouragement! It gave me the drive to do what little I could in a busy week.

Line con was full of lines but I mean other than there positioning of pre reg I think a big chunk of it was just trying to settle into the new hotel. Hopefully people will mellow and realize while it was a little confusing to find stuff at times that it will be better next year. I remember the first Akon at Adam's Mark/Sheraton was confusing too but people got it figured out after a bit.

Your costume was so adorable I wish I had gotten my handler to take a picture of you but I wasn't thinking about it. Next time we get a chance to meet up we will have to do it in more casual outfits, lol.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
my Guy-Manuel helmet arrived today! :dance:

Problems: the cast was kind of bad. the base was a mess, with lumps and warping, but after a bit of trimming, it's reasonable. I might not get it chromed now, just because the chroming will highlight every. little. flaw. :(

I was also worried about the visor he sent, it looked to be too small, but once I roughed out the visor space on the helmet, it looks okay if I attach it from the inside. It's really thin, though, and has some divots in it. I'm not even sure it can be fixed. The tint on it is really thin, but that's fixable with some of that Nightshades stuff. I'll get some pics up in a bit.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
After discovering that my gas stove can be used in place of a heat gun (which I don't own) I made some great progress over the weekend. Once I got used to cutting the thick foam mats everything came together pretty easily. The left shoulder will be the hardest part of the costume, so I'm leaving it for last.

I tried the watered down acrylic paint suggestion to weather the under skirt and it seems to have gone well but I want to do it more with some darker colors (or maybe less watered down) before I call it done. I also got fabric last week, and hope to do a mock up this weekend.

Socrates wants to know what's going on in here?

Just cutting a second, third, and fourth belt. Turns out four was the winner.

Next up: bracer pattern.

First go didn't work so well.

Second one went so well, I almost finished it.

Made more progress on the shoulder I started the week before. Teeth cut in and lower jaw made.

And the upper part attached. Needs detailing with thin foam still, and the skull needs more work.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Line con was full of lines but I mean other than there positioning of pre reg I think a big chunk of it was just trying to settle into the new hotel. Hopefully people will mellow and realize while it was a little confusing to find stuff at times that it will be better next year. I remember the first Akon at Adam's Mark/Sheraton was confusing too but people got it figured out after a bit.

Your costume was so adorable I wish I had gotten my handler to take a picture of you but I wasn't thinking about it. Next time we get a chance to meet up we will have to do it in more casual outfits, lol.

Thank you; you looked fantastic, yourself! I'd love to meet up sometime, of course, in less cumbersome/hot clothing. I found a decent shot of my outfit, so I thought I'd post it here. This is phase 1 of this outfit. I'd like to get better pants (tighter fit, thinner fabric), retouch the cape trim decoration, and some other minor things. Other than that, people who knew what I was seemed impressed with the overall look; I'm glad about that since it's a fairly subtle outfit.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
Turned out great! Nice job. :)

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You make me :3 everytime I see your costume. And for sure on the meet up maybe if I can talk my photog friend into a private shoot I will have to invite ya for costume pics food and hanging out.

Found this rad pic of Sylvanas, doesn't show off the whole outfit but I really like the way it shows off the LED's.

And for one of my more casual pieces Sailor V. I still need to make the armor but was still happy with what I had.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I'm going to Anime Next in New Jersey this weekend, and among other things, I'm in a Madoka Magika group as Madoka in her school uniform.

I had so much time left over after finishing all my costumes, and feeling like procrastinating on Otakon costumes, I made a kyubey to go along with my Madoka group!

Bless his amoral little heart :allears:

ETA: I should add that I've never made a plush before, and I was really, really worried about loving it up. I'm really happy with how it came out, but I don't think I'll be making more plushes anytime soon, they are full of tiny little details that stress me out.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

I did this costume at DragonCon last year, it is the Grand Galactic Inquisitor from the Venture Brothers, and currently my sister and I are rebuilding it. One thing I need help figuring out is how to get the audio to work right on it without it feedbacking. Basically I used a portable PA system (like a megaphone) hooked up to a microphone, which was housed in the chest where his speaker is. The problem is, it feedbacks whenever there is a radio or some electronics nearby, and it also picks up radio waves (I was playing smooth jazz out of my chest for a while).

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I did this costume at DragonCon last year, it is the Grand Galactic Inquisitor from the Venture Brothers, and currently my sister and I are rebuilding it. One thing I need help figuring out is how to get the audio to work right on it without it feedbacking. Basically I used a portable PA system (like a megaphone) hooked up to a microphone, which was housed in the chest where his speaker is. The problem is, it feedbacks whenever there is a radio or some electronics nearby, and it also picks up radio waves (I was playing smooth jazz out of my chest for a while).

IGNORE ME.

This is exceptional - and the feedback is totally in character, he was an annoying dude to have around.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I'm going to Anime Next in New Jersey this weekend, and among other things, I'm in a Madoka Magika group as Madoka in her school uniform.

I had so much time left over after finishing all my costumes, and feeling like procrastinating on Otakon costumes, I made a kyubey to go along with my Madoka group!

Bless his amoral little heart :allears:

ETA: I should add that I've never made a plush before, and I was really, really worried about loving it up. I'm really happy with how it came out, but I don't think I'll be making more plushes anytime soon, they are full of tiny little details that stress me out.
OMG so adorable. That is amazing for first try, I made Honekoneko and Mr. Mew and I had so many parts I had to remake before I was happy so I know your pain. It looks great though! You should print out a magical girls contract for him to pass to people. XD

Also can I just say I'm starting to go a little crazy planning Galaxxxy Stocking...

This is fantastic I am sad that you are fixing it because well smooth jazz seems pretty much perfect. As for fixing it sound stuff is pretty far out of my league.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Also can I just say I'm starting to go a little crazy planning Galaxxxy Stocking...

I have the patterns for galaxxxy panty sitting around and I want to make it so bad but I have all these goddamn summer costumes to do :( I have costume ADHD I swear.

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 6, 2013

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I have the patterns for galaxxxy panty sitting around and I want to make it so bad but I have all these goddamn summer costumes to do :( I have costume ADHD I swear.

I swear I haven't been shopping for fabric instead of finishing the costumes I have for my August cons...

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Bit late but here's the inside of the breastplate and the shin. I prime the inside of pieces that might be visible at any point so it's hard to see how the straps go on but basically it's a fuckton of wonderflex/worbla and hot glue. I used rivets for the breastplate straps. I put the blue fabric in partially because the edges of the cups were pretty rough and also because I shaped the cups over a styrofoam ball, which partially melted to the worbla in one of them and there's a ton of jaggy little hard styrofoam nubbles in there.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Local comic place here is having Tony Moore, co-creator of walking dead and current illustrator for Deadpool and Venom, in for an autograph session Saturday. Anyone who comes dressed as a zombie/venom/or deadpool gets put into a drawing for $100 store credit. Comes dressed as anything else from video games or comics and you get entered for $50, I decided to get my Leon Kennedy wig finally done and I'll be breaking it back out for the occasion.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

LadyRavenWaves posted:

This is fantastic I am sad that you are fixing it because well smooth jazz seems pretty much perfect. As for fixing it sound stuff is pretty far out of my league.

Well it wasn't so much the smooth jazz as much as the loud ringing feedback that occasionally occurred. I am re-doing the costume because Atlanta was harsh on the fabric, we are doing a more durable fabric with a more solid helmet in the hopes that it will hold up better.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Well it wasn't so much the smooth jazz as much as the loud ringing feedback that occasionally occurred. I am re-doing the costume because Atlanta was harsh on the fabric, we are doing a more durable fabric with a more solid helmet in the hopes that it will hold up better.

That makes sense after finally doing a full run on Sylvanas I am making quite a few changes to her in hopes to hold the leg bits up better. I have some friends who are good with wiring I will see what they know about audio and get back with ya.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Sounds great, I will try to see if a uni-directional microphone will help prevent feedback based on the half-rear end research I have been doing.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
Helmet progress over the last two weeks:

helm: primed, sanded, and more fill/touch up work... getting close to being chrome ready!

Battery powered with a on/off master switch working!

All but one of the 8x8 grids are done... sooooo close!

All prototyped up and verified that it works and I am not just a crazy person!

ANIMATION!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

McPantserton posted:

Bit late but here's the inside of the breastplate and the shin. I prime the inside of pieces that might be visible at any point so it's hard to see how the straps go on but basically it's a fuckton of wonderflex/worbla and hot glue. I used rivets for the breastplate straps. I put the blue fabric in partially because the edges of the cups were pretty rough and also because I shaped the cups over a styrofoam ball, which partially melted to the worbla in one of them and there's a ton of jaggy little hard styrofoam nubbles in there.

Sweet. Thanks.

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
Question: Is it a good idea to sand leather before painting it? The last time I did it was on a pair of combat boots and it seemed to work pretty well, but this is on a jacket, so it's a much less stiff leather, but I think it also has less intense protective coating on top.

Also I'm envious of you guys who are tech savvy enough to put lights and poo poo into your costumes.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Progress worth taking a photo of!

Anyone got a solid recommendation for weathering some leather gloves so they don't look ...well, brand new?

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Are they smooth leather? Just rub them with some sandpaper.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Squarely Circle posted:

Are they smooth leather? Just rub them with some sandpaper.

It's more that they are too light (they are brown, just BRAND NEW brown) - Was thinking of maybe drizzling some heavily diluted paint on them to discolor and make them look a little grody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

It's more that they are too light (they are brown, just BRAND NEW brown) - Was thinking of maybe drizzling some heavily diluted paint on them to discolor and make them look a little grody.

What about leather shoe polish? there may be a way to put it on so it looks weathered and darker. This tutorial for a jacket may also help. Sounds like softening then scratching is the key.

http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-distress-leather-jacket.html