Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000
When a subsidized device is provided as part of the contract,

for fixed-term contracts: The early cancellation fee must not exceed the value of the device subsidy. The early cancellation fee must be reduced by an equal amount each month, for the lesser of 24 months or the total number of months in the contract term, such that the early cancellation fee is reduced to $0 by the end of the period.
for indeterminate contracts: The early cancellation fee must not exceed the value of the device subsidy. The early cancellation fee must be reduced by an equal amount each month, over a maximum of 24 months, such that the early cancellation fee is reduced to $0 by the end of the period.

Doesn't the second part there refer to tab systems? If so, even those will be limited to 24 months, so they shouldn't be able to just work around it like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Meep posted:

When a subsidized device is provided as part of the contract,

for fixed-term contracts: The early cancellation fee must not exceed the value of the device subsidy. The early cancellation fee must be reduced by an equal amount each month, for the lesser of 24 months or the total number of months in the contract term, such that the early cancellation fee is reduced to $0 by the end of the period.
for indeterminate contracts: The early cancellation fee must not exceed the value of the device subsidy. The early cancellation fee must be reduced by an equal amount each month, over a maximum of 24 months, such that the early cancellation fee is reduced to $0 by the end of the period.

Doesn't the second part there refer to tab systems? If so, even those will be limited to 24 months, so they shouldn't be able to just work around it like that.

Yep, sounds like they're really aiming to make sure there's no fee/commitment after 2 years, regardless of what path the carriers go.

edit: The side effect of this might be crappier subsidies, or we might get everything we have now only with 2 year contracts just like our neighbours to the south.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000
Yeah hopefully this ends up causing our pricing to fall in line with the US, instead of our current insanity where a Galaxy S4 costs $450 on a 2 year contract with Fido. $200 on a 2 year contract has been the norm for that phone in the US, and I think I've seen sales already where it's been as low as $150.

Most likely we'll end up with pricing somewhere in-between, where we pay an extra $50-$100 for a top end phone for the privilege of being Canadian.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005
If carriers are sucessfully held to two-year contracts (I think they might weasel out of it by arguing tabs aren't contracts/committments). Then we'll see them raise either rate plans and/or the upfront costs of the phone. Fido sells the Galaxy S4 for $450 on a two-year contracts as a current example. Going forward, it's pretty likely high-end phones will end up being $300+ on a two-year plan.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Squibbles posted:

Oh and most providers with a tab system such as Koodo allow you to build up your tab if you don't currently have one. Koodo lets you build up to $150 in positive tab credit so next time you go to buy a phone your tab hit won't be as bad if you end up leaving early.

That only becomes helpful if you have an expensive plan, though. My plan only costs me $25 a month, so it would take five years to get to a positive tab.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

The Dark One posted:

That only becomes helpful if you have an expensive plan, though. My plan only costs me $25 a month, so it would take five years to get to a positive tab.

Yeah, though I think some of the providers now have a 3 year limit or something where if your tab is still negative after 3 years they wipe it out. Which basically amounts to a 3 year contract I guess :p

Also if you already own your own phone when you join a provider that has a tab plan then eventually you'll get a cheaper upgrade I suppose. Though now Koodo has that thing where they discount you by 10% if you opt out of the tab system I think?

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Not so fast guys, regulating Canada's telecom industry is a terrible left-wing plot that does nothing but hurt poor average Canadians and their freedom of contract

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oh my god the :qq: is so strong. The icing on the cake.

Trying to tie the CAW to this, really? Fuckin' auto unions gonna raise your cellular bill!

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 4, 2013

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

That Gurney article is just...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/06/04/industry-canada-denies-telus-spectrum-license-transfer-mobilicity-deal-not-moving-forward/

Huh, looks like the Mobilicity sale is likely dead in the water, as the government denied the spectrum transfer to Telus.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Zarkov Cortez posted:

That Gurney article is just...

Who are these idiots who write these things?

Gurney Bio posted:

Born in Toronto's Leaside neighbourhood, Matt has a B.A. and M.A. in military history. His hobbies and interests include classic rock music, golfing, cursing the Toronto Maple Leafs and, as all those who know him can attest, he is a shamelessly devoted fan of the original Star Trek series and the Civilization computer game franchise, to which he has already devoted far too much of his life. He loves reading, and typically alternates between serious non-fiction works on the issues of the day and trashy novels about the end of the world. He also enjoys beer. He does not play an instrument, and sort of regrets that.

oh

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

I can only assume that's a piece of propaganda paid for by the big-3. No one is actually this stupid.

The best part is his bleating that a BlackBerry whatever is $349 on a 2-year contract and $99 on a 3-year, and that this is somehow due to legitimate financing reasons and not a concerted effort to push everyone into 3-year contracts and thus reduce churn and competition. Hell, just a brief survey of the contract norms from the UK, Germany, and even the USA destroys his entire piece.

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 4, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Well this looks promising

Wind Mobile mulls offer for Mobilicity posted:

Wind Mobile would like to open talks to buy Mobilicity in a bid to create a fourth national wireless competitor, CEO Anthony Lacavera said Wednesday.

Wind Mobile is already the fourth-largest wireless carrier in Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta, Lacavera said.

We are certainly interested in re-opening the discussion with Mobilicity," he said in an interview.

Ottawa is blocking a $380-million deal to sell Mobilicity to Telus Corp. and said it will continue to prohibit spectrum transfers that would limit competition in the cellphone industry.

Shares in Telus closed at $35.16, down 65 cents, on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
Logical partnership?

Spectrum refers to radio waves over which wireless networks operate, carrying voice and data.

Lacavera said Mobilicity's spectrum, if combined with Wind Mobile's, would allow the combined company to build out a faster, next-generation network that will handle heavy data use from smartphones and tablets.

"We can't go to the next generation without more spectrum," he said, calling the merging of the two companies a "logical combination."

Wind Mobile has more than 600,000 subscribers while Mobilicity has 250,000, a small drop compared to the roughly 25 million customers who have signed up with Rogers, Telus and Bell.

Mobilicity currently provides no-contract cellphone service in Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

Lacavera has repeatedly said Wind Mobile, Mobilicity and Public Mobile need to consolidate to create a fourth national carrier to go up against Rogers, Bell and Telus. His past calls for consolidation, though, have been rebuffed by Mobilicity and Public Mobile.

"I'm looking forward to starting the discussions as soon as it makes sense for Mobilicity," Lavacera said from Toronto.
No comment from Telus

Telus couldn't be reached for comment on Wednesday about any future plans for Mobilicity.

Industry Minister Christian Paradis has said the government will use all the tools at its disposal to ensure there are at least four wireless competitors in every region of Canada.

Telecom analyst Iain Grant said while Wind would a logical buyer for Mobilicity, Telus could still buy Mobilicity but not its spectrum.

In that case, Telus would ask for a refund on Mobilicity's spectrum licence, said Grant, managing director of the SeaBoard Group.

"I see Telus maintaining its offer to buy Mobilicity probably adjusting the price somewhat," said Grant, managing director of the SeaBoard Group.

Grant also said other buyers could also emerge, including foreign carriers.

Analyst Troy Crandall said Wind and Mobilicity have the same type of spectrum and operate in similar geographic areas.

"Wind will be one of the potential bidders for the company, assuming they can get the capital," Crandall said.

With the addition of Mobilicity, the combined companies would have close to one million subscribers, said Crandall of MacDougall, MacDougall & MacTier.

Wind Mobile launched in late 2009 after the federal government held a spectrum auction to allow new companies to bring more competition to Canada's cellphone industry.

Mobilicity, Public Mobile and Quebecor's Videotron launched in 2010 and Maritime-based Eastlink got its wireless service running earlier this year.

However, Wind Mobile has been put up for sale by its Dutch owner VimpelCom. Lacavera and original financial Wind Mobile backer Naquib Sawiris reportedly want to buy it back.

Intersting development. Not only do Wind's original owners want it back, they also want to bring in Moblicity, enabling a 4th players in the monopoly. Could this be the begining of better cell rates and such
?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well this looks promising

Intersting development. Not only do Wind's original owners want it back, they also want to bring in Moblicity, enabling a 4th players in the monopoly. Could this be the begining of better cell rates and such
?

I don't really get how buying Mobilicity will suddenly make them a huge player. They both share very nearly the same coverage and cities I think so the only real change would that it would increase their total number of subscribers. I'm not sure that even both of them combined would be enough to put much of a dent in the big 3/their subsidiaries.

Also apparently Public Mobile just got bought by another equity firm apparently?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Getting all of Mobilicity's spectrum would help. That's probably the biggest value for WIND out of the deal. It's going to take a long time for anyone other than the big 3 to gain any traction in the market, there's no deal in the short term that will turn them into a big player.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Could this be the begining of better cell rates and such?

Oh! Oh! I know the answer to this!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Martytoof posted:

Oh! Oh! I know the answer to this!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uh, guys, didn't you hear that Canadians actually want to pay higher cell rates? Geez, the Big 3 are only doing what we want!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, guys, didn't you hear that Canadians actually want to pay higher cell rates? Geez, the Big 3 are only doing what we want!

Why, just today when a cowoker asked my opinion on which US talk/text/data vacation plan to use I recommended the 200mb over the 50mb because it's really unfair to Rogers that she pays so little for her monthly bill. They have to eat too.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
A lawsuit came in... or three.

THE COMMISSIONER OF COMPETITION v. ROGERS COMMUNICATIONS INC.
THE COMMISSIONER OF COMPETITION v. GLOBALIVE WIRELESS MANAGEMENT CORP. ETC.
THE COMMISSIONER OF COMPETITION v. SHAW COMMUNICATIONS INC.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I would be much more excited if Mobilicity were to buy Wind than the other way around.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

eXXon posted:

I would be much more excited if Mobilicity were to buy Wind than the other way around.

At this point I just want someone in BC to start offering coverage outside of the lower mainland. Mobilicity or Wind I don't care which.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

BGrifter posted:

At this point I just want someone in BC to start offering coverage outside of the lower mainland. Mobilicity or Wind I don't care which.

WIND has service in Victoria, but it's not "official" yet.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

BGrifter posted:

I was pretty drat thrilled to get unlimited data traveling in Vancouver. It would have been nice to have the same in Victoria too. Good for people travelling between Vancouver and Victoria too, although drat it takes a while to get between ferry terminals and downtown.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

less than three posted:

WIND has service in Victoria, but it's not "official" yet.

Yeah unfortunately I'm in Kelowna which might as well be Mars as far as Wind and Mobilicity are concerned. :sigh:

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

edit: wrong thread

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So I still have about $-12 (negative twelve) left on my "bill" with my old carrier (TELUS). I don't know how it ended up this way because I made sure to pay the exact amount on my last bill. Am I able to get it back or is it lost forever?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

So I still have about $-12 (negative twelve) left on my "bill" with my old carrier (TELUS). I don't know how it ended up this way because I made sure to pay the exact amount on my last bill. Am I able to get it back or is it lost forever?

Bell sends you a refund after 90 days to your credit card (if that's how you pay normally) or cheque. Not sure about TELUS.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I suppose anything is better than Wind/Mobility ending up with the big 3. Here's the full text because of the Globe's paywall:

The Globe and Mail posted:

Verizon Communications Inc. is looking at a move into Canada’s cellular telephone business, one of several possible new entrants whose arrival would salvage the federal government’s ambitions for a fourth wireless player across the country.

Ottawa, which is weighing alternatives as it seeks to preserve its plan for enhanced wireless competition, views Verizon as the most likely foreign option. Verizon has held exploratory talks with investors in Wind Mobile – one of two struggling new entrants in the wireless market – in recent weeks, but those discussions are still at an early stage. AT&T Corp. of the U.S., Vodafone Group Plc of Britain and Telenor Group of Norway are other names circulating within the telecommunications industry as possible investors, sources said.

The federal government relaxed foreign ownership restrictions last year in a bid to shore up competition in the wireless sector, where smaller new entrants such as Wind Mobile and Mobilicity were failing to make headway against larger incumbents. Up until now, there has been no indication that a foreign firm has been prepared to enter the wireless market.

The entry of a major new competitor would intensify price competition, as well as a choice of an additional next-generation high-speed wireless network in the key markets of British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario.

The game plan would be for Verizon to take over a smaller player such as Wind Mobile and participate in the coming auction of new wireless spectrum to create a strong fourth carrier, said two industry sources familiar with the situation. The most attractive target is Wind, the larger and healthier of the two small operators, but Mobilicity is also an option. “They [Verizon] are definitely taking a hard look right now,” said one source.

A huge company such as Verizon could then roll out new, faster technology and low prices to undercut Canadian incumbents.

At the moment, Mobilicity and Wind Mobile, the two biggest new entrants in the wireless business, are struggling and for sale. Mobilicity tried to sell itself to Telus Corp., one of the big three Canadian wireless operators, but the government blocked that because it wants to keep the small players out of the hands of the large Canadian incumbents.

VimpelCom Ltd., the largest investor in Wind, has put the company on the auction block, seeking a price of more than $500-million. That sale process too is tied up amid talks with Ottawa, and it now seems certain no big Canadian company can buy Wind for now.

Representatives of Verizon, Wind, and VimpelCom declined to comment.

Executives at Verizon were said to be heartened by Industry Minister Christian Paradis’ announcement in early June that Ottawa remains committed to having at least four carriers in every regional market, and is cognizant that new carriers require sufficient spectrum to better compete by offering advanced wireless services such as LTE.

Verizon is already familiar with the Canadian market due to its previous investment in Telus Corp. Until 2004, Verizon was a major shareholder in the Canadian company.

Under current federal rules, foreigners can own a Canadian wireless carrier, but only if it has 10 per cent or less of the market.

A Canadian option may also emerge. Catalyst Capital Group, a Toronto-based private equity fund operator, owns a big chunk of Mobilicity debt and has a plan to create a fourth wireless player.

Whichever company tries to create a new, stronger fourth carrier will have to cut a large cheque. VimpelCom’s chief executive has stated he expects it would cost $1-billion to get Wind to a point where it is not bleeding cash. But Dvai Ghose, the telecommunications analyst at Canaccord Genuity, puts the figure “nearer an incremental $2-billion” for spectrum purchases, network upgrades and consolidation costs.

Should it be Verizon, the company has size on its side. Verizon reported almost $20-billion (U.S.) in wireless revenue in the first quarter alone. Verizon Wireless, owned by Verizon with junior partner Vodafone, runs the largest fourth-generation long-term evolution (4G LTE) wireless network in the U.S. Its almost 100 million subscribers dwarf Canadian rivals such as BCE Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc.

Verizon has massive buying power for smartphones including high-end devices like iPhones, enabling the U.S. carrier to win price wars with Canadian carriers like Rogers, Bell and Telus even on a two-year contract.

Verizon could also compete on speed, by replacing key parts of a smaller player’s network and adding gear for faster LTE technology. Doing so would also allow Verizon to solve security concerns that have dogged Wind’s sale process in part because key parts of its network are built with gear from China’s Huawei, a concern for the government, as The Globe and Mail has reported.

Telenor as well should be familiar with Canada, through Wind, as it is VimpelCom’s second-largest shareholder.

I haven't heard good things about Verizon in the US but they can't be worse than Rogers, Bell and Telus right? Right!?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't like Verizon, but I hope this would actually mean some sort of shakeup among the big three. The other alternative is that Verizon takes Wind and just falls into line with what the big three are offering here which would be an unmitigated disaster. I don't see that happening since Wind is already established as a somewhat better alternative, but....

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Sweet now we can go back 5 years and have the carrier logo on our home buttons like they do in the US. [http://gizmodo.com/5954713/ugh-verizon-plastered-its-logo-on-the-samsung-galaxy-note-ii-home-button]

In all honesty it'd probably be a good thing for competition.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Martytoof posted:

The other alternative is that Verizon takes Wind and just falls into line with what the big three are offering here which would be an unmitigated disaster. I don't see that happening since Wind is already established as a somewhat better alternative, but....

Does Verizon use the same frequencies as Wind here? If so they could leverage that as lower roaming rates for their customers in the States.

Marty: did you figure out what happened with Rogers regarding suddenly have more data? Just a glitch in the app/site?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

WienerDog posted:

Does Verizon use the same frequencies as Wind here? If so they could leverage that as lower roaming rates for their customers in the States.

Marty: did you figure out what happened with Rogers regarding suddenly have more data? Just a glitch in the app/site?

Pretty sure T-Mobile is the only provider that uses the same frequency as Wind/Mobilicity (AWS).

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If a foreign entrant that was much larger than the big three entered then they would obviously like the ARPU in Canada but probably wouldn't collude to the same extent as the big three. So I imagine things would improve on the pricing front. It would be a minor revenue source for Verizon so shareholders wouldn't have such a tight grip on their balls.

Also you can imagine that plans that work in both Canada and the US without roaming would appear.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shofixti posted:

I suppose anything is better than Wind/Mobility ending up with the big 3. Here's the full text because of the Globe's paywall:

I haven't heard good things about Verizon in the US but they can't be worse than Rogers, Bell and Telus right? Right!?

Telenor was great when I was in Sweden and Denmark. I'd be happy for them to come in as a 4th.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

WienerDog posted:

Verizon still uses CDMA in the States so I wouldn't expect any synergies there (though if they DO buy in in time for the 700 auction they may be able to use the same LTE frequencies as they do down south).

An utterly perplexing thing about the public debate about our telecoms is that people latch onto a foreign player investing into the market as some sort of panacea. What exactly do we imagine Verizon or Telenor doing that Orascom or VimpelCom (who are part-owned by Telenor as the G&M points out) couldn't have done if they chose?

The problem is no longer "competitors can't access foreign capital", the problem is that the foreign capital wants to compete without spending too much money, and until I see evidence to the contrary I expect any new foreign entrant will be more of the same.

edit: my pie-in-the-sky panacea is structural separation between infrastructure and services but I will settle for regulators with actual teeth and a government that isn't determined to defang them.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 17, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

WienerDog posted:

I don't know when it happened, but I came upon a scrap of paper in my filing cabinet that had 2gb data something something unintelligible scribbled on it, so apparently at some point I actually had talked to Rogers and gotten myself a bigger data plan somehow.

My parents are on my account as a family plan, and I think I made some changes a while ago and I must have just straight up forgotten I got better data out of it. That or I was drunk :confused:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving finally LTE is available in Winnipeg! Granted I'm on 3G now inside the hospital but it was cool peering down and seeing the indicator up top.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I like how that article mentions the Huawei equipment security concerns while the fact that Telus and Bell are also fully invested in Huawei systems flies under the radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds
Anyone else on Koodo prepaid (in Toronto) suddenly just get LTE reception?
I've been on 4G since I signed up (which is already plenty fast) but since yesterday, my signal has been showing up as LTE.

That said, I didn't get around to setting up my voice mail until the night before that. Maybe my account was in some kind of weird state?