Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

axleblaze posted:

I...just don't get cupcake wars. Like I can understand the making unique flavors aspect (though they rarely actually do that) but the presentation part of it is always pathetic. No matter what the cupcake just looks like a cupcake with a thing sticking out of the frosting. My local Stop n Shop can pull that off. Then there's the final round where they have someone else make a display and it's always just a really ugly shelf that looks like it took the very limited time they were given to make. It's just all so unimpressive. It doesn't help that the host is awful and people that make cupcakes seem to just be awful people for some reason.

In fairness re: presentation, it is a little trickier to have to decorate something on a much smaller scale than your basic full-size cake; that said, it's not impossible (I googled 'unique cupcake presentations' and many of them were of the 'stick something on top and call it done' stripe, but these two seem to at least have a better imagination with that sort of thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Ugh, I was really hoping Scott wouldn't win Chopped All-Stars. I'm pretty sure a Chopped judge won last time, too Aaron, I think?).

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Hey, I did recognize that awful haircut! It is Ashlee Merriman from Top Chef Las Vegas!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

katium posted:

Ugh, I was really hoping Scott wouldn't win Chopped All-Stars. I'm pretty sure a Chopped judge won last time, too Aaron, I think?).

I think the last one was Marcus Samuelsson and, in fairness, they completely deserved it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In regards to Chopped All Stars, while it would have been nice for Conant to lose, he really did pretty much destroy everyone. He pretty easily won the first two rounds and while he lost the last round he didn't gently caress it up either. I'm also kind of glad he won if only because he charity (Alzheimers) was one that doesn't get as much attention and funding as alot of the others. Though his influence over the judges kind of showed when Sunny was chopped in the first round partially for using raw red onion.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I...just don't get cupcake wars. Like I can understand the making unique flavors aspect (though they rarely actually do that) but the presentation part of it is always pathetic. No matter what the cupcake just looks like a cupcake with a thing sticking out of the frosting. My local Stop n Shop can pull that off. Then there's the final round where they have someone else make a display and it's always just a really ugly shelf that looks like it took the very limited time they were given to make. It's just all so unimpressive. It doesn't help that the host is awful and people that make cupcakes seem to just be awful people for some reason.

If you remember Jones Bros. Cupcakes that competed on that show for I think Valentine's Day, they're a local cupcake bakery here in Omaha, NE. They're pretty overrated and are extremely expensive for not very good cupcakes.

The owner was on the show. He's kind of stuck-upish but the only reason they get ANY business around here is because they're located smack-dab in the middle of the UNO campus. It's hidden in there and you can't really find it easily.

$15 for four measly average cupcakes isn't going to fly around here. Especially when there's a family owned local bakery that will sell you a full dozen of much better cupcakes downtown.

When he lost, he didn't even seem like he cared.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm surprised with all the dessert trend shows popping up that they haven't done one on frozen yogurt, considering how apparently there's shops for it popping up all over the drat place it seems. I found two in Iowa City this past weekend I had never heard of, bringing the total in town to half a dozen or so. :psyduck:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

iastudent posted:

I'm surprised with all the dessert trend shows popping up that they haven't done one on frozen yogurt, considering how apparently there's shops for it popping up all over the drat place it seems. I found two in Iowa City this past weekend I had never heard of, bringing the total in town to half a dozen or so. :psyduck:
It's harder to make elaborate sculptures nobody would ever actually want to eat with frozen yogurt than it is with baked goods. :v: (I'm also waiting for the frozen yogurt bubble to pop when people realize that they've basically turned a healthy snack into ice cream, and that ice cream is cheaper and comes in a wider variety of flavors than frozen yogurt)

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Haifisch posted:

It's harder to make elaborate sculptures nobody would ever actually want to eat with frozen yogurt than it is with baked goods. :v: (I'm also waiting for the frozen yogurt bubble to pop when people realize that they've basically turned a healthy snack into ice cream, and that ice cream is cheaper and comes in a wider variety of flavors than frozen yogurt)

Didn't we have this exact same bubble like 15 years ago?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Didn't we have this exact same bubble like 15 years ago?

Pretty much. We had a TCBY growing up and they catered for school and public events all the time because of how "it's ice cream but healthier!" :v:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

iastudent posted:

Because the producers all live in NY, and the korean frozen yogurt craze has already died off there. Cupcakes are mostly dead or dying, too, but there hasn't been much emerging to replace them yet.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

So I'm sure people have seen the commercials for the Iron Chef Tournament of Champions they're doing right? Well, if you have any interest in it whatsoever, DON'T LOOK AT THE EPISODE GUIDE FOR THE SHOW. Why? Well, the idiots who set up the site put up the final match episode description not as Tournament of Champions Final but as the chefs who are involved (i.e X vs. X). I couldn't help but laugh hysterically at it for removing just about all the tension from it.

Also, it seems Top Chef alum Michael Voltaggio will battle Bobby Flay. That should be interesting.

They spoiled Chopped All Stars by playing a scene from the final round showing two contestants from rounds that hadn't aired yet. They also spoiled Next Iron Chef by featuring Alex G. on all the holiday promos.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Haifisch posted:

I enjoy going to our local frozen yogurt shops but you are dead on about the price. Spending $12-$15 on frozen yogurt for 2 people is outrageous, but when all the ice cream shops have closed up except one highly overrated local institution that I think is utter poo poo, it is the only real place to go!

That and Dairy Queen.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Verdugo posted:

They spoiled Chopped All Stars by playing a scene from the final round showing two contestants from rounds that hadn't aired yet. They also spoiled Next Iron Chef by featuring Alex G. on all the holiday promos.

They showed Alex G. in all the holiday promos the year she didn't get it too though.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Late DVR finding here, but Travel Channel is actually still trying somewhat in the form of Andrew Zimmern's The Border Check

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/the-border-check

Thank you random this past Sunday afternoon premier!

Show was good stuff, some assorted facts that were unknown to me, and I really hope this is going to be a proper series as opposed to just a special on account of the nifty premise---the little intro sequence gives me hope but alas those have wound up dashed before.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

axleblaze posted:

The problem really is that the cooking shows just aren't that popular and the only cooking shows that get any people watching them at all are watched by people trying to cook the easiest thing possible rather than something that requires effort. I mean it sucks that cooking shows are only on during the day on Food Network, and most of the ones there suck but I think that really is because no one is watching them. Not that these new shows look like they're going to get many people to watch them either...

At this point Food Network are trying to justify just not showing DDD and Chopped all the time and so far they haven't found any shows to stop them from doing this.

At least they should pay for another chef's vacation aka go to exotic restaurant locales to dine on REALLY expensive food.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ezj1c/im_alton_brown_i_cook_stuff_and_write_and_shoot/

Alton Brown is doing an AMA on Reddit right now. :allears:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
They are having a Pioneer Woman marathon thingy on Food Network today, because Food Network hates its viewers.

Is it me, or does she have some weird looking children? Like they all look like they got kicked in the head by a horse or something. They also ACT like they got kicked in the head by a horse, but that's because they are home-schooled by the frigging Pioneer Woman.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jamesman posted:

They are having a Pioneer Woman marathon thingy on Food Network today, because Food Network hates its viewers.

Is it me, or does she have some weird looking children? Like they all look like they got kicked in the head by a horse or something. They also ACT like they got kicked in the head by a horse, but that's because they are home-schooled by the frigging Pioneer Woman.

She still weirds me out.

I'm not trying to start feminist food chat or anything but I've noticed this Pioneer Woman seems way too into pleasing "the guys", like she doesn't take time off for herself or something. I haven't seen her do anything like make one of her own favorite dishes. It's always something for her kids or her husband and usually it's something her husband likes.

It really makes me uncomfortable to watch her show and I'm a guy...

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The guy who served in Afghanistan was really uncomfortable to watch on Chopped.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

One of the contestants in the current season of Masterchef US is a vegetarian, and it got me to thinking: Has a vegetarian or vegan (or someone who keeps kosher or halal, for that matter) ever won anything major on any of these shows? I can see it happening on a show like Chopped or maybe Iron Chef, where each episode is it's own self-contained competition but not in a season-long "winner takes all" thing. Though it might be doable on a baking or dessert themed show where the lack of experience with meat isn't an issue.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I can't remember if Robin from Top Chef was a vegetarian or not. I remember she prepared shrimp at one point.

She didn't win bit got farther than most people did.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Only vegetarian/vegan I can recall from Top Chef was a guy in the season 9 qualifier who didn't plate in time or make it into the house.

Was Gina ("I'm a movement") a vegetarian too or just health food?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

jscolon2.0 posted:

I think she was just a localvore.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Am I the only one who's been irritated at the fact that every Chopped episode this season apparently needs to have some sort of 'theme' to it? Like, I can understand the mom episode, since it was aired close to Mother's Day and all. But we had an Australia episode, an all-women episode, an amateur episode (and holy poo poo, the 'ALLELUJAH!!' guy was annoying and I'm glad he got chopped first) a grilling episode and now we're getting a weightloss episode. Would it give FN an aneurysm to just take four random chefs and four random baskets without feeling the need to tie everything together somehow?

(and yes, I am aware that there's some precedent for the grilling episode at least, since they've done it a few times before, but it's just the concentration of all of them like this that just boggles me.)

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Miss Kalle posted:

Am I the only one who's been irritated at the fact that every Chopped episode this season apparently needs to have some sort of 'theme' to it? Like, I can understand the mom episode, since it was aired close to Mother's Day and all. But we had an Australia episode, an all-women episode, an amateur episode (and holy poo poo, the 'ALLELUJAH!!' guy was annoying and I'm glad he got chopped first) a grilling episode and now we're getting a weightloss episode. Would it give FN an aneurysm to just take four random chefs and four random baskets without feeling the need to tie everything together somehow?

(and yes, I am aware that there's some precedent for the grilling episode at least, since they've done it a few times before, but it's just the concentration of all of them like this that just boggles me.)

I think they're actually going through a list. My wife saw open call for the amateur episode months ago and said I should sign up for shits and giggles. I remember looking at the sign up site and there being about 5-10 different "theme" shows you could apply for. I haven't watched much Chopped lately because I haven't had the time but holy poo poo it doesn't sound like I'm missing all that much.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Miss Kalle posted:

I don't really see what difference it makes. Like the themed episodes are still pretty much the exact same show, just a with a theme placed on top of it. It allows them to create a forced narrative but they do that no matter what and the themes really don't change much about the show, so who cares?

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

axleblaze posted:

I don't really see what difference it makes. Like the themed episodes are still pretty much the exact same show, just a with a theme placed on top of it. It allows them to create a forced narrative but they do that no matter what and the themes really don't change much about the show, so who cares?

I do because I'm a crab about that sort of thing apparently!

Nah but seriously, it just feels like they're trying much too hard to draw in viewers than they usually do and they choose to do so by making it 'all theme weeks all the time'. I dunno, I guess it is kind of irrational to complain about it to some, but I just wanted to get that off my chest considering how prevalent it's been now. :geno:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

jscolon2.0 posted:

Only vegetarian/vegan I can recall from Top Chef was a guy in the season 9 qualifier who didn't plate in time or make it into the house.

There was the one tattooed girl who made an inedible seitan stuffed pepper and was kicked off Top Chef immediately.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone else watching NFNS? I thought it was funny that they had no problem with admitting that about least half of the contestants they want to make into stars are unlikeable.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I watched about 10 minutes before I remembered that Bourdain's show was on at the same time so I switched, but YIKES. I will go back and watch later but no one in that group seemed even remotely OK.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Shouldn't Justin's show have aired and failed before Food Network rolls again?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Is that one blog/site or whatever (blanking on the name) covering this season's NFNS?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

We must be nearing the point where you can look in your pantry and fridge to see what's on hand and then look up the corresponding Chopped segment.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

odiv posted:

We must be nearing the point where you can look in your pantry and fridge to see what's on hand and then look up the corresponding Chopped segment.

I'm all set for the gummi worms comps :v

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

jscolon2.0 posted:

Shouldn't Justin's show have aired and failed before Food Network rolls again?

I don't know if it failed but it did air one Saturday and it was aggressively odd. Either way most NFNS winners shows are on in daytime, but I'm not sure they took that risk on Justin.

Lord of the Bones
Nov 1, 2007

Oh my, there are a lot of zombies down there. Starchy's glad he's safe up here.
Doo dee doo doo doo doo~
So really it should be the Next Food Network One Hour Special.

If FN is moving away from real cooking shows and focusing on 6 hour Triple D/fake Mystery Diners reality TV type deals, then why even bother with a NFNS.

It really feels like only Bobby Flay and that Deen boy can get 'new' episodes of a 'teach me to cook' sort of show.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Christopher Irvine posted:

I don't know if it failed but it did air one Saturday and it was aggressively odd. Either way most NFNS winners shows are on in daytime, but I'm not sure they took that risk on Justin.

I'm not sure that they did, either, and yes- the one time it did air on a Saturday it was so bizarre that I had to change the channel because I started blushing FOR him.

I will say this about NFNS: at least they didn't start with the stupid audition stuff this time as much (unless that aired last week somehow). I know that this is apparently what is really appealing about something like American Idol but I hate it with cooking shows. Master Chef started up again and I didn't even pay attention to the first two episodes because it's all audition stuff.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Miss Kalle posted:

I do because I'm a crab about that sort of thing apparently!

Nah but seriously, it just feels like they're trying much too hard to draw in viewers than they usually do and they choose to do so by making it 'all theme weeks all the time'. I dunno, I guess it is kind of irrational to complain about it to some, but I just wanted to get that off my chest considering how prevalent it's been now. :geno:

This is how marketing works. Someone found something that was successful once (ie. Discovery Channel "Shark Week") and resulted in like a 0.1%-2% increase in some metric. Your average marketer thinks "more = better" and runs that poo poo into the ground. They're more concerned about getting eyeballs on the product than the actual product itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lord of the Bones posted:

If FN is moving away from real cooking shows and focusing on 6 hour Triple D/fake Mystery Diners reality TV type deals, then why even bother with a NFNS.

Basically, FN's competition-style shows blow everything else on the network away in terms of viewership, which is why there's always some permutation of Food Network Star / Next Iron Chef / Worst Cooks airing at any given time.

• Locked thread