Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
My "favorite" feature of FFIV DS is the New Game+ feature.

That it only lets you use three times for whatever reason. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No, but don't you understand? All that bad writing is canon now.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Dr Pepper posted:

Sorry the DS version of FFIV is superior in every way. :colbert:

It has a million times more interesting game-play, and the augment system is only a "problem" if you're metagaming based off knowing the plot already.

While I agree the core gameplay is better, the requirements for unlocking the augments are far too cryptic for their own good in general and the balance of the game as a whole is total bullshit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bongo Bill posted:

No, but don't you understand? All that bad writing is canon now.

We're talking about Final Fantasy. Bad Writing has been Canon since this poo poo started.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

FF6's crew gets beaten by a bad fanfic? Are you kidding? Sabin would've just suplexed THE MOON.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

1st AD posted:

Weird, when I first switched to my Nexus 4 FF:D was basically unplayable for me. I had to press super hard on the screen to get touches to register, which made boss fights almost impossible and made the game nothing but a grind.

I fired it up for shits and giggles last night and it plays like normal again. There hasn't been an update to the game or to Android :confused:

The game's updated a couple times in the past couple months. The last patch was only a few days ago.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

While I agree the core gameplay is better, the requirements for unlocking the augments are far too cryptic for their own good in general

It's easy. You give characters aguments, and then later you get more based off characters that leave. If they didn't make it so that you're rewarded for giving aguments to temporary characters the entire system would be neutered until the endgame.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The Only dumb thing is that apparently the FF4 team is the one group of FF heroes that could beat the bad guy.

Like seriously, okay I can see maybe the 6 guys losing what with all the magic being kind of hosed where they're at, but how the hell did Bartz and his 3 Princess Murder machine lose?

Can someone tell me what this is all about? It sounds delightfully insane.

The only craziness I saw on the wiki was:

quote:

Meanwhile, the airship carrying Ceodore encounters several monsters. The airship crashes killing everyone but Ceodore. Realizing he is the last of the Red Wings, Ceodore sets out on a long journey home. He is almost defeated by a group of monsters but is rescued by a Hooded Man. As the two head towards Mysidia the player alternately takes control of Kain as he sets out from Mount Ordeals towards Baron. Along the way Kain gathers the Crystals of Air, Earth, Fire and Water on the request of the Mysterious Woman and eventually takes Rosa as well. Kain states how he is going to kill Cecil so he can have Rosa for himself. Ceodore, the Hooded Man, and Edward intercept Kain in front of Cecil's throneroom. At this point it is revealed that the Hooded Man is in fact Kain, and the Kain that has taken the crystals and Rosa is Kain's "dark half." After their duel the true Kain wins and becomes a Holy Dragoon. In addition to his jump ability Kain can use White Magic as well. Kain, Ceodore, Rosa, and Edward continue on their way to meet Cecil as the first part ends.

Which is crazy, yeah!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skychrono posted:

The plot of After Years never gets that crazy other than how hard it shoe-horns every boss from FFIV back in and in some cases multiple times. The staggeringly annoying thing is that all the chapters leading up to the final dungeon just involve the main villain showing up, leveling the party, ignoring any attempts to hurt it and saying scant few sentences other than "You don't deserve to understand my plan."

Near the end when its revealed how the villain operates (literally during the final boss fight because gently caress you for wanting to know earlier) it means that because bosses from other FF games are used in the final dungeon the big bad has already traveled to those dimensions and eradicated all life there. Its not explicitly said but then again nothing but pointless, pointless filler dialog is ever explicitly said in After Years.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Skychrono posted:

Which is crazy, yeah!

Basically the true villain is a giant moon monster who seeded all the <7 Final Fantasy planets with their respective crystals, using them to guide the people to a certain point and then harvested them for..energy? Food, maybe, I don't know it's not well explained. So part of the final dungeon is made of patchwork poo poo from FF 1-3, 5 and 6. Some old bosses show up, apparently having survived.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe it's just a cute reference and they didn't literally go "LET'S DESTROY ALL THE OTHER FF WORLDS."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Maybe it's just a cute reference and they didn't literally go "LET'S DESTROY ALL THE OTHER FF WORLDS."

Except it's pretty explicitly the latter? Like it says it eats/harvest worlds seeded with crystals and you fight bosses from every other Pre-7 FF. It's not really jumping to conclusions when all the facts point that way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

If any of the following dungeon design, character design, or plot had been good thats exactly how everyone would view it. I thought it was a neat little thing and a serviceable excuse to bring in some fan-favorite bosses for a good old fashioned pummeling. Its a terrible, terrible game though so it sticks out much worse in that regard when the final boss talks about how it's already harvested these other dimensions.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

The Only dumb thing is that apparently the FF4 team is the one group of FF heroes that could beat the bad guy.

Like seriously, okay I can see maybe the 6 guys losing what with all the magic being kind of hosed where they're at, but how the hell did Bartz and his 3 Princess Murder machine lose?

Sounds as likely as the FF7/8 crew losing to a bunch of Heartless and then being kinda homeless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't know? It's just a cute reference to me. "Hey, let's use some bosses from past FF games." "Okay." "Here's a vague plot excuse." "Sure."

I guess I don't get this whole 'canon' thing, since FF canon is pretty self-contained. Does Kefka showing up in Theatrhythm mean he actually survived the final boss fight of FF6?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Krad posted:

Sounds as likely as the FF7/8 crew losing to a bunch of Heartless and then being kinda homeless.

To be fair, those are the KH versions, so I'm not sure they even have materia/GF's, which means all those characters are pretty much chumps at that point.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Krad posted:

To be fair to Kingdom Hearts the FF characters aren't really supposed to be the same as in their respective games. Kind of a missed opportunity, really. The FFX-2 crew as fairies was the most :wtf: thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

I don't know? It's just a cute reference to me. "Hey, let's use some bosses from past FF games." "Okay." "Here's a vague plot excuse." "Sure."

I guess I don't get this whole 'canon' thing, since FF canon is pretty self-contained. Does Kefka showing up in Theatrhythm mean he actually survived the final boss fight of FF6?

Oh I'm not crying about it being 'canon' I just think it was the dumbest plot twist in a game who's entire plotline is nothing but dumb plot twists

And it's a wasted twist. Like, you could have had old characters return. Imagine a party consisting of Cecil, Kain, Terra, Bartz, and Ceodore coming in for the final boss fight. It's just lazy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh I'm not crying about it being 'canon' I just think it was the dumbest plot twist in a game who's entire plotline is nothing but dumb plot twists

Its the same sort of thing as Chrono Cross in that murdering a bunch of characters off screen to justify a completely non-sensical story never really goes over well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Its the same sort of thing as Chrono Cross in that murdering a bunch of characters off screen to justify a completely non-sensical story never really goes over well.
At least Chrono Cross was actually a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger. Sorta.

FF4 realyl has nothing to do with the other FF games.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

To be fair, those are the KH versions, so I'm not sure they even have materia/GF's, which means all those characters are pretty much chumps at that point.

This makes perfect sense until you see Cloud going toe to toe against Sephiroth in the most Advent Children-like inspired cutscene ever.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dissidia probably somehow retcons FFIV AY and FFX-2 out of existence anyways by not even mentioning they exist.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Considering they could've just gone with the Dawn of Souls alternative which is that the other games' bosses show up because who cares an explanation isn't needed, and been better off for it, that's a pretty sad testament to the writing.

Now that I think of it, when it's up against competition like 4's After Years, 7's EU, and 13-2... FFX-2, despite all its dumb parts, was actually not half bad. It had a very realistic and believable take on the "what next" in comparison.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's from the same doods who made Chrono Cross (Because Porre was a military superpower, apparently) so I just sigh, pretend it didn't happen and move on.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 3, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Dissidia probably somehow retcons FFIV AY and FFX-2 out of existence anyways by not even mentioning they exist.

Which is a shame, because giving Yuna all her job/dresssphere powers would have made an awesome character. Gunner Yuna 4 lyfe.

Also, anyone who says X-2 is a bad game officially hates fun. It's got the single best version of the ATB, 70's funkidelic music, and a Anime Charlie's angel plotline to match.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vil posted:

Now that I think of it, when it's up against competition like 4's After Years, 7's EU, and 13-2... FFX-2, despite all its dumb parts, was actually not half bad. It had a very realistic and believable take on the "what next" in comparison.

FFX-2 is also the only one on that list which has fun mechanics and dungeon design to back it up.

I can't speak for FF12-Revenant Wings but I heard it controlled pretty poorly but the bonus FF2 post dungeon/second game/whatever you want to call it is real, real bad.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I kind of enjoyed Revenant Wings, but it should have been a new IP. Sure, it starred all the characters from FFXII, but it didn't really have ANYTHING to do with it.
FFX-2 works because it doesn't poo poo all over the first game or completely invalidates what the characters accomplished. At least if you don't go for the "good" ending.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Which is a shame, because giving Yuna all her job/dresssphere powers would have made an awesome character. Gunner Yuna 4 lyfe.

Also, anyone who says X-2 is a bad game officially hates fun. It's got the single best version of the ATB, 70's funkidelic music, and a Anime Charlie's angel plotline to match.

They at least considered putting X-2s Yuna instead of X but decided they would rather have summoner Yuna. Hell summoner Yuna was already pushing the amount of total ram available to the point they could only have 1/3 of the summon pop up, having her with multiple dress spheres would probably have broken the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Skychrono posted:

Can someone tell me what [Final Fantasy IV: The After Years] is all about? It sounds delightfully insane.

Here's a highlight reel:

* "Huh?"
* 90% of the original's cutscenes are recreated.
* Almost every single boss fight from the original reoccurs.
* Grinding for hours to fix dolls you'll never use.
* A sailing vessel runs out of fuel and you have to get oil from a palm tree to fuel it.
* You control four ninjas whose defining characteristics are "We love Edge."
* Edward does something. This is notable because he's the only person in the game to do anything.
* Kain vs. Kain.
* You fight Zeromus's Malice, or the malice of the hate of Zemus.
* There's a love triangle between two mages and a dwarf.
* The entire plot is dumped during the final battle.
* Edge ends the game probably still a virgin.

It's not a horrible game. The story does blow, but there's some good moments in there, and I think they nailed the end game as far as the actual gameplay goes, though the random encounter rate can be high, the numerous rare grinds are ridiculous, and the Challenge Dungeons are generally unfun filler bullshit. I still found it fun, and if you liked the gameplay of FF4 it's a nice extension of that. Still, there's a lot of stupid in there.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
So, any hopes for something exciting coming out of SE for E3, or will they just continue to shill their stupid MMORPG crapfest that like two people will play?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They at least considered putting X-2s Yuna instead of X but decided they would rather have summoner Yuna. Hell summoner Yuna was already pushing the amount of total ram available to the point they could only have 1/3 of the summon pop up, having her with multiple dress spheres would probably have broken the game.

Probably as well that Gunner Yuna would have been too similar to Laguna. Dress sphere Yuna would have been an interesting idea though. I guess the class change thing is too similar to Cecil and the Onion Knight's schtick. Not that it stopped them making Tifa and Prishe, Jeckt, but with gimmicks, or making Vaan basically Firion.

As for bonus dungeons and the like, FF1's Soul of Chaos stuff wasn't too bad, FF2's Dawn of Souls was just pain - being the FF2 grind all over again.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 3, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Renoistic posted:

I kind of enjoyed Revenant Wings, but it should have been a new IP. Sure, it starred all the characters from FFXII, but it didn't really have ANYTHING to do with it.

That's actually what happened. It was an original game, before someone thought it would sell better with the name Final Fantasy in the title.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Renoistic posted:

FFX-2 works because it doesn't poo poo all over the first game or completely invalidates what the characters accomplished. At least if you don't go for the "good" ending.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who enjoys Revenant Wings fully. :v: Gameplay is unique enough to stand on its own, it's actually the Vaan and Penelo show without making them incredibly annoying or stealing spotlight away from Balthier/Basch/Ashe (they had their stories done, they feel more complete now), and it actually gives characters set jobs and canon abilities, which I approve of.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

SlenderWhore posted:

So, any hopes for something exciting coming out of SE for E3, or will they just continue to shill their stupid MMORPG crapfest that like two people will play?

Prepare for more Agni's Philosophy demo viewing. Please be excited.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krad posted:

Wasn't that a tech demo with no implication that it would ever be a game? I mean, like, Fantasy Favelas is a concept that should exist but SE didn't seem like they were planning to go that route.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Krad posted:

Ha ha. I guess I just don't get their way of doing business. They seem to make all of the worst possible decisions and then wonder why they end up in the hole a few million (billion?) yen.

I still do not understand their hesitation about remaking a 90's FF game with update graphics. I realize I probably sound like an old fogie (guess what games I grew up playing?) and that this is opening a huge can of worms, but I have no doubt that a solid FFV/VI/VII/VIII/IX remake will probably help get them out of their hole and yet they utterly refuse to do so. It's downright puzzling. I don't follow gaming news as much as I used to so maybe I am missing something.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Barudak posted:

Wasn't that a tech demo with no implication that it would ever be a game? I mean, like, Fantasy Favelas is a concept that should exist but SE didn't seem like they were planning to go that route.

If they still haven't made up their mind about what their next FF for the next gen will be like, be it XV, Versus, or something else, then we'll probably see that demo again as a placeholder.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SlenderWhore posted:

Ha ha. I guess I just don't get their way of doing business. They seem to make all of the worst possible decisions and then wonder why they end up in the hole a few million (billion?) yen.

I still do not understand their hesitation about remaking a 90's FF game with update graphics. I realize I probably sound like an old fogie (guess what games I grew up playing?) and that this is opening a huge can of worms, but I have no doubt that a solid FFV/VI/VII/VIII/IX remake will probably help get them out of their hole and yet they utterly refuse to do so. It's downright puzzling. I don't follow gaming news as much as I used to so maybe I am missing something.

Updated graphics is no small feat especially if you're upgrading to console caliber. Additionally the game has already been released (typically multiple times already) so whatever target market wants the game is probably fairly saturated at this point. People who are willing to play it again don't need the graphics update so why bother with it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Barudak posted:

Updated graphics is no small feat especially if you're upgrading to console caliber. Additionally the game has already been released (typically multiple times already) so whatever target market wants the game is probably fairly saturated at this point. People who are willing to play it again don't need the graphics update so why bother with it.

Yeah, I'd rather have them releasing new, fresh games. Hopefully they will start making good console games again someday.

Eurogamer article about FF7, "The game that killed SquareSoft".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crew Expendable
Jan 1, 2013

Krad posted:

If they still haven't made up their mind about what their next FF for the next gen will be like, be it XV, Versus, or something else, then we'll probably see that demo again as a placeholder.

Any word on what happened to Versus? I think I remember reading about it years ago when SE decided to invite some game journalists to watch a gameplay video but told them they couldn't release any pictures to the public. Because pretending your product is super exclusive and only the worthy may even view it is a good business strategy...:jerkbag: