Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

lamport is dead

spanner is a distributed transactional db, paxos is key

Zookeeper is basically a paxos server, lotta stuff uses it for membership/leader elections/other cluster management

those are the only 2 implementations off the top of my head, turns out paxos is kind of a pita to actually implement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Nomnom Cookie posted:

lamport is dead

nope

quote:

spanner is a distributed transactional db, paxos is key

that and basically running a datacentre on a clock signal

quote:

Zookeeper is basically a paxos server, lotta stuff uses it for membership/leader elections/other cluster management

(it's built on an atomic broadcast primitive, not paxos)

quote:

those are the only 2 implementations off the top of my head, turns out paxos is kind of a pita to actually implement

yep

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Lamport is still alive.

The wiki article lists uses of Paxos, and I know Scalaris also uses it.

And yeah, the paper tef linked to does mention it's a PITA.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ah Chubby uses paxos. I think I heard ZK was similar to chubby and i guess assumed it was built on paxos too.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Nomnom Cookie posted:

ah Chubby uses paxos. I think I heard ZK was similar to chubby and i guess assumed it was built on paxos too.

zab is only really worth mentioning because of the novelty of not being paxos.

also, raft is a new consensus algorithm

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
drat it, I had no clue what any of you fuckers were talking about in this last page and now I'm reading that paper tef posted. Looking good so far

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Hard NOP Life posted:

drat it, I had no clue what any of you fuckers were talking about in this last page and now I'm reading that paper tef posted. Looking good so far

consistent global state is hard

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Zab paper: http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs347/reading/zab.pdf
Raft paper: https://ramcloud.stanford.edu/wiki/download/attachments/11370504/raft.pdf

(E: the Zab paper makes bad assumptions regarding paxos, i.e. multiple proposers can use the same sequence id to propose a change :catstare:)

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 3, 2013

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

jeez those guys really bag on paxos

(i am one of the dummies who doesn't understand paxos)

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
That google paper tef posted does a pretty decent job of describing it in laymans terms.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i probably read it at one point...never got to where id be comfortable with implementing it. does me good to hear that high foreheads have trouble with paxos too

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Nomnom Cookie posted:

jeez those guys really bag on paxos

(i am one of the dummies who doesn't understand paxos)

Paxos is basically a very, very generic algorithm that can work with unreliable transmissions (dropped messages, repeated messages, or out-of-order messages are all possible, but not corrupted messages), lack of clear leaders (masters), unbounded numbers of failures (in terms of times, but you still gotta have a quorum to progress, so it's a CP algorithm), works asynchronously, and tends to try to provide globally consistent state (what can somewhat be stated as state-machine replication), and has variants that can deal with the presence of byzantine processes (say someone owns a few insecure nodes and tries to corrupt your data). It doesn't especially care about being fast, having a high throughput, or being easy to understand or implement.

It comes in multiple varieties with different tradeoffs, and it does appear to be a pain in the rear end to implement right.

Things like Zab (ZooKeeper Atomic Broadcast) appear to not need to be as solid as Paxos (the protocol requires messages to be in order, and uses synchronous cycles, for example), and make different assumptions regarding causality (not all pieces of state are causal for one another). They also care more for things like speed and throughput.

Raft on its own end seems to be annoyed at the basic Paxos variant, the basic one that works with all crazy kinds of failures, and is not optimized for stable clusters, but gets to be used as the foundation to prove that later optimized forms (multi-paxos) can work fine and be optimal. I'm still going through that paper, though and I can't comment on how they fix things at this time.

Hard NOP Life posted:

That google paper tef posted does a pretty decent job of describing it in laymans terms.

It does gloss over a bunch of details in the protocol, but it gives a decent hand-wavy understanding of things to have a broad idea of what is going on with it.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 3, 2013

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i probably read it at one point...never got to where id be comfortable with implementing it. does me good to hear that high foreheads have trouble with paxos too

paxos is pretty much the canonical example of such a thing. a crazy complex beast that is poorly explained and badly implemented.

quote:

My attempt at inserting some humor into the subject was a dismal failure. People who attended my lecture remembered Indiana Jones, but not the algorithm. People reading the paper apparently got so distracted by the Greek parable that they didn't understand the algorithm. Among the people I sent the paper to, and who claimed to have read it, were Nancy Lynch, Vassos Hadzilacos, and Phil Bernstein. A couple of months later I emailed them the following question:

Can you implement a distributed database that can tolerate the failure of any number of its processes (possibly all of them) without losing consistency, and that will resume normal behavior when more than half the processes are again working properly?

None of them noticed any connection between this question and the Paxos algorithm.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Made some progress in Raft. It seems to be a variant of Zab where instead of explicit synchronization during discovery and synchronization phases and invariants for ordering of events, it will just say "well the leader is right, overwrite your logs guys!" They show it to be safe, but I'm very worried about a paper on this topic that contains a quote like:

quote:

In practice, we doubt this optimization is necessary, since failures happen infrequently and there are unlikely to be many inconsistent entries.

I'm eager to see what peer review says on that one, because that's one hell of a red flag.

Their division of components (leader election, log synchronization and correction, and safety guarantees) is nice, though, and the way they focus on the logs (through their log leader property) rather than the state to be synchronized is pretty interesting.

Also kudos for explicitly dealing with cluster membership (and quorum size) changes.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

does anyone have a good overview of common data structures so I can pick one that suits my needs

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

json is all you need tbh

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

my stepdads beer posted:

does anyone have a good overview of common data structures so I can pick one that suits my needs

You should use an array.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

paxos is pretty much the canonical example of such a thing. a crazy complex beast that is poorly explained and badly implemented.

Does it actually offer any advantage over two phase commit with random backoff and retry on conflict?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Afaik 2PC will block entirely if the transaction manager fails, and won't be able to recover if a cohort member also fails at that time.

3PC tries to fix this, but cannot deal with network partitions very well (it assumes it can accurately detect failures) and there is no formal proof about it (that I'm aware of?)

Paxos guarantees it will progress as long as a quorum of participants is healthy. The Paxos paper does say it may go in a loop if you end up with multiple leaders proposing requests at the same time. It also recommends ways to use this as some root for leader election if not already in progress and have things resolve themselves.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

Afaik 2PC will block entirely if the transaction manager fails, and won't be able to recover if a cohort member also fails at that time.

In my opinion if you have a single transaction manager with 2PC you're doing it wrong. If you make transaction management part of the client you don't have the single point of failure. You do need to buttress 2PC with recovery strategies for nodes that go down but you need that for nearly everything.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Even with multiple transaction managers, don't you end up in the possible case where, as a cohort member, you block because the transaction manager for whatever current transaction you were working on disappears? Is there an explicit part of the protocol that allows an individual member to give up while waiting for either a commit or abort message without breaking any of the promises made by the protocol?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

my stepdads beer posted:

what are your needs?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

Even with multiple transaction managers, don't you end up in the possible case where, as a cohort member, you block because the transaction manager for whatever current transaction you were working on disappears? Is there an explicit part of the protocol that allows an individual member to give up while waiting for either a commit or abort message without breaking any of the promises made by the protocol?

There's no explicit part, but that's where the buttressing comes in, basically have something else reboot and recover the machine that's borked. That way only machines that are known good are responding to queries at any given time.

Paxos would still need this sort of machine management going on, and I'm not sure it simplifies any of it.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Paxos doesn't need it. It's part of how the algorithm works. The incrementing and non-overlapping ballot Ids, asynchronous work, and requirements to merge concurrent requests values into a single one (indirectly, based on higher ballot Ids and the behaviour of proposers) make this implicit / not necessary as far as I understand. This would also be the part of protocol that may hinder or slow progress unless you have a unique leader elected.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

Paxos doesn't need it. It's part of how the algorithm works. The incrementing and non-overlapping ballot Ids, asynchronous work, and requirements to merge concurrent requests values into a single one (indirectly, based on higher ballot Ids and the behaviour of proposers) make this implicit / not necessary as far as I understand. This would also be the part of protocol that may hinder or slow progress unless you have a unique leader elected.

No algorithm can handle machine failure. You still need to do a bunch of stuff to get your cluster healthy again.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I see what you mean. This mechanism isn't vital to the algorithm though. The case here is that Paxos doesn't care what the source of the failure is -- a timeout, a partition in the network, a hardware failure, lost messages, lack of ordering, etc. They can all be seen as the same instance of "not being responsive fast enough" with regards to the algorithm. There is also a question of how many failures can be dealt with at once.

So yes in production you'll probably want something that restarts software, reboots servers, or allows you to add or remove them, because otherwise you'll slowly end up with not enough machines to keep going. But you won't fall in the case where, say, the connection between servers falls in a bad state and a 3 hours timeout resolves it later on and all of a sudden one end thinks the other was crashed but the other just thought things were slow.

To figure out that a machine is borked in the first place is a tricky thing and especially why 3PC is apparently unreliable.

If your algorithm or system requires to know the difference between high latency, crashes, partitions, and/or dropped/repeated/out-of-order messages, it is inherently less safe than Paxos on this point of view because it doesn't care which it is or how many it is, as long as a quorum can be obtained. (also it will not block)

E: that is assuming a well-implemented Paxos, which is, as discussed earlier, not a trivial thing.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 3, 2013

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bring back circuit switching and solve the Byzantine generals problem thing

Alternately: make every computer part of a single globe-spanning VAXcluster

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
PLs(no i wont go to the prole thread, suck my dilz): Debugging PHP.

Honeymoon is officially over
thats it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the difference between a real language and a toy language becomes immediately apparent the moment you have to debug something

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
i still have never written a line of php in my life

no wonder im poor

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
aah but you are so much richer in spirit

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
I tried to write some erlang for the first time in several weeks today and it did not go well. I really need a good outlet so o can write it once every couple of days. Same with speaking french

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
same but german and lisp

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Mr Dog posted:

the difference between a real language and a toy language becomes immediately apparent the moment you have to debug something

a toy language: a language where the only substantial program written in it, is the compiler.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

php's compiler is written in c so i guess its not a toy language

a garbage pisstrash language but not a toy language

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
php compiler??

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Suspicious Dish posted:

php compiler??

most of your modern scripting languages are actually compiled into bytecode before they're executed

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

most of your modern scripting languages are actually compiled into bytecode before they're executed

i didnt know php had bytecode. now i do.

http://blog.golemon.com/2006/06/how-long-is-piece-of-string.html

and its p bad

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the best thing is that you can get a significant speed increase by storing the compiled bytecode. except that some language constructs will change the bytecode

people bitch about .pyc files but php is literally incapable of producing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
thats so that you can pay $50 a month for Zend Optimizer+ which spits out .phpc files