Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Scoot all the way back on the seat, then clutch up in second gear at around 25-30 mph. Remember to keep the rear brake covered. Wheelies are as much about body position and technique as power. I weigh 200 pounds and have no problems on my converted DRZ-S. It's hard to keep the front end down, really.

Clutching up video filmed on a DRZ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcyQSDZzH5E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

axia posted:

Fellow sumos. I am a sumo loser. I cannot wheelie and I am about as much of a hooligan as a librarian. Is my DRZ400S to blame, or am I just a motorcycle weenie? Sometimes I regret not picking up an SM when I bought my bike, but I really wanted a "dirt bike" that I could ride on the road. Any tips for getting that wheel up?

Sumo confessional itt. I talk a big game on the Internet but I too have never wheelied. Axia let's do this together.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As mentioned, wheelies are all about technique, and your DRZ has more than enough power to do them. I can hang tail light dragging wheelies all day on my RV90 which makes about 8 hp.

Scoot back a little bit for starters. In first gear it should be able to wheelie on throttle anywhere after about 10 mph.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I find going up hill can help when you're trying to wheelie. It puts you in a position where your weight is further back and the front end just wants to lift. Also, speed bumps.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A DRZ you'll need to be pretty aggressive to get a good wheelie out of it in 1st gear (to get to BP and then keep it going). Roll about 10 MPH, sit back, crack the throttle all the way open (don't mess around!) and play with it from there.

2nd gear will take a bit of doing, you'll need to have the technique pretty down. On a DRZ if you want to ride fast wheelies you'll need to learn how to do upshifts at the balance point and wheelie through the gears as you'll probably never get it to come up on its own starting out at 35+ MPH.

Z3n learned to wheelie on a DRZ and got really good at upshifting mid wheelie to go through the next gear. I learned to wheelie on a DRZ and found it frustrating because you pretty much had to start it in 1st. I got decent at going through the gears but it wasnt until I got the KTM and could bring it up in 1st through 4th gear from 0-65 MPH rolling to start out that I got really comfortable at balance point and got those 'long miles and miles' wheelies that I'd always wanted.

From there I learned to do the upshift through the gears style wheelies because I was so comfortable with it and now can do both very reliably on just about anything you put me on.

DRZs are great but they are not wheelie monsters. Just not enough power. With some shorter gearing it would help but they are buzzy enough at highway speeds I wouldn't want to shorten the gearing but make it taller. They rock a 1st gear wheelie all day long but if you want to hold one you gotta learn to up shift because it takes some real doing to get it to come up at speed in 2nd regularly and 3rd gear you can pretty much forget about it unless your getting stunter style on it (standing on seat, etc)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You're never going to get a stock drz-s up in 3rd. The best way imo is to roll along at the very bottom of second gear and tug the bars up while cracking the throttle to get it to wheelie. You'll need to play around to find the spot where the power comes on but you'll essentially go from almost lugging it to cracking open the throttle and it'll come up. Once you get comfortable with that you can learn to click it into 3rd as you get higher into the rpm's. I'm not really great at that but I've found that if you give it a bit more gas to kind of rock the bike back it makes upshifting easier and then you sort of "catch" it with more gas when the front starts to drop down.

It'll come up easily in first but you'll rev it out pretty quick which makes upshifting to 2nd trickier imo.

I'm currently running 15/39 gearing to spread things out a bit. I ran 14/41 and it was disgusting. I was in 5th gear everywhere at like 40-45mph. I'm still considering going back to 14/39 as a happy medium but I'll probably buy a new chain before that happens.

I will say though that going to 14/41 will allow you to pull it up in 3rd on an uncorked drz but it's still not easy. Like Spiff said, the more power your bike has the easier it is to wheelie. If you ever ride a bigger sumo or even a 450 dirtbike you'll see the difference. It's pretty effortless to wheelie when all it takes is a little blip of the throttle to raise the wheel.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I could clutch up the DRZ in 3rd just barely if I wanted it bad enough in SM trim. Once for giggles I got it to BP in 4th but it took perfect timing, effectively sitting on the tail light, bouncing the suspension, abusing the clutch like I hated it, and a particularly aggressive crest of a hill.

It's easier to learn to shift out wheelies if you have a close ratio gearbox. The big drop in revs on a bike like the drz is harder to manage due to the amount of time the revs take to go down and how long you're off the gas. The shorter gearing helps keep throttle response as you move through the rev range more consistent, which makes taking the front higher and then having it drop and catching it on the throttle a lot less intimidating.

I could never get the DRZ to go into 5th while riding a wheelie. Just didnt seem like it had enough power unless you were really committed, and it took a fair amount of distance to get it from 2nd to 4th anyways.

I'd also recommend trying clutchups in second, rather than power wheelies in first. It'll come up quickly but its a lot more controlled, and if you're doing 25mph already you're not gonna loop it unless you whiskey throttle it while it's in the air. Start with a little clutch and a little gas and build from there. Give your clutch some time to recover after a dozen attempts or so. Cover the rear brake and if you feel it getting crazy, use it. Build that habit of using the rear brake so when it hits the fan youve already got that muscle memory ingrained.

And remember....it's ok to be a stunna if you ride a sumo.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

In other news, the guy I posted above who got that smoking deal on a 690SM got black flagged to hell and back for doing wheelies and passing people against the rules at the first track day COTA offered :haw:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah you can't really tell a supermoto to "take it to the track" because, uh, most trackdays don't appreciate the throttle control inherent in a balance point wheelie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGBWKMa1OgE

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

I could clutch up the DRZ in 3rd just barely if I wanted it bad enough in SM trim.

My DRZ is +3 on the back sprocket and happily clutches up in 3rd. When I fit the fcr and intake cams i'll go back to stock gearing or even gear it down a bit for less frantic highway cruising.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Stock gearing was the most "balanced" for all around riding that I found. Everything else was more fun in some areas but compromised the other riding I'd do on the bike.

I'm also not great at getting wheelies off the ground. I compensated by learning to shift them comfortably and ride them for distance that way, vs bringing them up in a higher gear.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

JP Money posted:

In other news, the guy I posted above who got that smoking deal on a 690SM got black flagged to hell and back for doing wheelies and passing people against the rules at the first track day COTA offered :haw:

dear sweet lord, drama all over the local boards because of this. i stopped reading.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh come on, don't tease us like that, post links!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

There's nothing else to tell. The drama is all local so it doesn't make for a good story really. The main local trackday org has a lovely owner and some of his prior instructors branched off to start their own organization. It's been catfighting ever since.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
JP: Are you in SA? I mostly use my DRZ to commute (2 miles) but I'm interested in taking some longer trips.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

No sir I'm not. If you are in SA you should go check out the hill country though! You'll have a ridiculous amount of fun.

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.
Thanks for all the tips everyone. Now I just need someone reading them to me out loud while I'm out there! As far as other hooliganisms go, are most of you in bigger cities finding these opportunities? I live near Denver, but don't really know the city all that well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The best way is to just drive and see what you find. I live in a smaller town near Milwaukee, and I find something new every time I go out. Exploring is like 80% of the fun of owning a sumo

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool and I used to head out on the 690's a few times a week looking for trouble. After a year I knew every back street, loading dock, industrial park and interesting area in Seattle.

Best part about a Supermoto is how fun they are around town so head out there, get lost, and find some cool stuff.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I agree. I don't go out often enough but I usually will just load up some music and go creep around town behind every business I can find looking for something fun. It shouldn't be particularly hard to find elevation changes in CO I'd imagine. Even if you can't find loading docks or something you can definitely find some straight streets to do some wheelie practice on or find an empty lot that you can make into an impromptu track.

alk4life
Jul 22, 2004
After reading a so much about how fun motards are I signed up for supermoto school. I'm pretty jazzed about it. Urban jumps!
http://supermotoschools.com/ai1ec_event/june-15th-sonoma-kart-track-at-sonoma-raceway/?instance_id=6042

The instructor told me my street riding gear would be fine, but I should maybe look into getting a pair of armored pants and some boots with more coverage than just my ankle. Does anyone have any (hopefully cheap) recommendations?

Also, is this as good of a deal as I think it is? I promised I would fix and sell one/both of my bikes before I got something new, but this seems pretty sweet:
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432146

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah thats a really good deal on a 610. It probably needs a cam chain but still a deal.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

What's the maintenance like on those bikes? Would it be too much bike for my dad? He's looking for DRZ's right now but doesn't wanna drop 5 grand on a campground toy. Bay area is overpriced for summer right now. :sigh:

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
So if I'm looking to buy new, it seems my choices are pretty much the DRZ and ????? Is there any word on KTM bringing the 690 back to the US? I really don't want to mess with converting something, and I want to use it for commuting when I move to Seattle.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Apparently Yamaha sells the YZ450 as street legal. And there are still KTM dealers, at least where I live there are.

Edit: Nevermind the Yamaha it's a WR250.

Edit 2: They sell a WR450 but not already street legal?

ChewedFood fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 6, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

So if I'm looking to buy new, it seems my choices are pretty much the DRZ and ????? Is there any word on KTM bringing the 690 back to the US? I really don't want to mess with converting something, and I want to use it for commuting when I move to Seattle.

For what its worth, you can get dirt bikes plated and street legal in Washington with a few mods and an inspection. Some dealers will set it up for you - if you're buying new that might be a good option.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

How far are you commuting?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

So if I'm looking to buy new

Any reason? There's plenty of idiots out there that have bought a 09-10 SMC and only ridden to the shops and back and are selling for 25% below the new price. Buying new sounds good and the 13 SMC-R is sorely tempting but the depreciation isn't fun.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

JP Money posted:

How far are you commuting?

Not sure yet, finding a job is half of why I haven't moved yet. I want to live in Belltown though as I lived there 10 years ago and loved it. My other vehicle is a 2001 Tundra that's paid for but the gas mileage is going to kill me and it's not as fun either.

Aargh posted:

Any reason? There's plenty of idiots out there that have bought a 09-10 SMC and only ridden to the shops and back and are selling for 25% below the new price. Buying new sounds good and the 13 SMC-R is sorely tempting but the depreciation isn't fun.

When I think of the stupid poo poo that gets done on supermotos, "Buy Used" isn't confidence inspiring. I didn't realize there even was a '13 SMC-R, since apparently it doesn't show on the KTM USA website unless you search for it specifically. I have been eyeing the 990 SM-T as something I could do some touring on as well, but I realize that's a lot bigger, heavier, and more expensive than a 690. Although when the house sells, I'll be able to afford either one :toot:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Not sure yet, finding a job is half of why I haven't moved yet. I want to live in Belltown though as I lived there 10 years ago and loved it. My other vehicle is a 2001 Tundra that's paid for but the gas mileage is going to kill me and it's not as fun either.

When I think of the stupid poo poo that gets done on supermotos, "Buy Used" isn't confidence inspiring. I didn't realize there even was a '13 SMC-R, since apparently it doesn't show on the KTM USA website unless you search for it specifically. I have been eyeing the 990 SM-T as something I could do some touring on as well, but I realize that's a lot bigger, heavier, and more expensive than a 690. Although when the house sells, I'll be able to afford either one :toot:

Wait so they are selling the '13 SMC-R in the US?

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Wait so they are selling the '13 SMC-R in the US?

I dunno, I found it on the US site when I did a google search. Is it available?

here

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

If you're going to be doing a lot of highway commuting that'll probably affect your options. Also, do you want a "true" sumo? Those aren't fun to commute on. If you're looking at stuff like 990's you might consider a used hypermotard if you're into that kind of thing.

I wouldn't shy away from used 690's. Few people are going to honestly use them as intended and most are going to baby their garage queen. The price sort of weeds out most idiots but you should still beware. They're also (as you probably know) hard to find.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

here

"Strapping, yet refined".

Much like it's riders. :smug:

And yeah, a used 690 is generally totally fine, the bike is pretty drat durable. If they did the oil changes, it'll live in the limiter all day long without any issues.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

here

I don't think so, I've checked lots of dealer websites and you'd be lucky to find the 450sumo on most of them.

What the hell US dealers? Sumos are awesome!

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Z3n posted:

"Strapping, yet refined".

Much like it's riders. :smug:

Do they make fedora helmets?

I don't think so, I've checked lots of dealer websites and you'd be lucky to find the 450sumo on most of them.

Yeah that's what I was getting at originally, nobody seems to be bringing street-legal 450-650 sumos to the US except for the DRZ. KTM, Husky, Yamaha, Aprilia, nobody. I've been riding an F650 Dakar for the past few years around town and logging roads, and really like the versatility of it, but I sold for the move. It seems like a 690 sumo or something similar would give me that same versatility and be a bit more fun on the highway.

Anyways, thanks for the input. When I get down to Seattle I'll start looking harder at used bikes and stuff. Maybe there'll be more options when the 2014 lineup comes out.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

No one carries the SMR450, you have to go down to your dealer and beg them to order you one. Spiffness asked a dealer if they would be able to order one, they said they wouldn't want to bother with it. :( Not that you want one unless you're racing it, the bike isn't road legal and comes on slicks from the factory.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
They sell the 690 Enduro R and a SM conversion looks like just a set of wheels/tires. I've been eyeballing a few of them on CL, they're not quite as hens'-teeth rare as factory SMs

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
It seems to me like you have some time why not have it shipped? KTM certainly sells fully street legal bikes from the store (in NY at least) and if they don't have what you want there they will get a crate full of parts and build it for you.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Someone a couple miles from me is selling a stock 2007 690 SM-R, ~7000 miles. Has been "in indoor storage" for ~2 years. Dealer service records/original paperwork/various KTM Things (TM) included. Asking price $6500.

I'm going to swing by tomorrow to check it out, but as someone who's nearly dead-set on a 690 as my next biek is this a good deal/what should I look for/what should I offer?

editnote: I have been obsessively checking local listings and 690SMC/R models are hard to find

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Someone a couple miles from me is selling a stock 2007 690 SM-R, ~7000 miles. Has been "in indoor storage" for ~2 years. Dealer service records/original paperwork/various KTM Things (TM) included. Asking price $6500.

I'm going to swing by tomorrow to check it out, but as someone who's nearly dead-set on a 690 as my next biek is this a good deal/what should I look for/what should I offer?

editnote: I have been obsessively checking local listings and 690SMC/R models are hard to find

Do you have any daughters? You could try to trow them in the pot as well and hope he goes for it.

God I want a SMR. Gonna have to wait until next year at the earliest to make that happen though.

• Locked thread