Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

put on your adventure helmet, it's time for an adventure!
We're getting married this Sunday (Holy Crap!). It seems like it's sort of falling in the same way it would any other weekend, honestly. Lots of my uncles and aunts and cousins who I really hoped would come because of the 3-day weekend aren't coming. And since we live in a tiny town and most of our friends here are in the service industry, everyone has come basically to drawing straws to determine who's coming and who's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

:( That's lame. I'm a month out from my wedding and it's starting to fall into place how meticulously I'm going to have to plan this timeline. I'm really grateful that all my stressful work stuff is now over, and I'll have basically 3 weeks of nothing right before the wedding to make sure everything is in place. I'm still getting stressed about it though, this is such a pain in the rear end. And I am inbetween sizes in my ceremony shoes where the size I bought is too big, but the half size down is too small and makes my toes hurt. I'll just go buy inserts or something but it makes me grumpy because oh no my 4.5 inch heels that I will wear for exactly 2 hours ever do not fit perfectly.

At least I'm changing into these for the reception. I made them myself :3:

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

Hawkgirl posted:

:( That's lame. I'm a month out from my wedding and it's starting to fall into place how meticulously I'm going to have to plan this timeline. I'm really grateful that all my stressful work stuff is now over, and I'll have basically 3 weeks of nothing right before the wedding to make sure everything is in place. I'm still getting stressed about it though, this is such a pain in the rear end. And I am inbetween sizes in my ceremony shoes where the size I bought is too big, but the half size down is too small and makes my toes hurt. I'll just go buy inserts or something but it makes me grumpy because oh no my 4.5 inch heels that I will wear for exactly 2 hours ever do not fit perfectly.

At least I'm changing into these for the reception. I made them myself :3:

I'm sort of scrambling to get my playlist in order and make sure that I don't poo poo myself as I walk down the aisle, worrying that people won't dance to the music we picked. So be happy that you have some time off. Take a while to relax. Maybe take a klonopin.

Awesome shoes by the way! I altered my shoes myself, too! They were just silver with sparkly stuff on bottom hooker wedges from Payless, and now they are MINE. They look super high, but they're pretty comfy (they feel like clouds after I finish a Zumba routine wearing 4.5 inch spike heels). I just need some green ribbon to tie them at the ankle.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

My wife, (That's still so weird to say), and I got married on May 5th. Yes Cinco De Mayo...That wasn't our plan but that's what happened. It was awesome! Perfect and an adventure! :)

A couple pictures:

And the story:
We went to St. Thomas USVI to get married and had planned to be married May 4th. We were to take a helicopter from St. Thomas to a little island called Hans Lollick for the ceremony with just the pilot, the minister and the two of us.

So a bit of backstory....May 3rd we decide to take a full day boat trip to St. John, the British Virgin Islands, etc, etc. It was amazing and basically a booze cruise. (All the rum, beer or anything else you wanted). We get on the boat and meet two other couples, one of which got engaged the night before and the other of which had been married the previous weekend. So, the party was on! We drank all day and had a blast, ended up getting dropped off in St. John and drank with the two couples at a bar with $1 bottles of Coors Light. We end up staying until around 9 P.M. and are supposed to get married the next morning at 11 A.M. Oh Boy!

I should also mention that our Verizon cell phones were basically useless in St. Thomas. So much so that we had both left ours in the villa when we went that day.

So we return the night of May 3rd, hammered, sunburnt and exhausted...only to find emails and voicemails saying "The helicopter has mechanical problems and we won't be able to do the ceremony May 4th"......Instant sobriety! What???!?? Uh, we're supposed to be getting married in like 12 hours! I'm the one that had the messages and I didn't even want to tell my fiance.

I told her and she proved exactly why she's "The one". She took it in stride. Didn't flip out or bridezilla at all! Maybe the drunkenness helped. :) Called the minister. They explained we could still get married on May 4th if we wanted to do a beach wedding somewhere on St. Thomas or we could do the helicopter wedding on Hans Lollick on May 5th. We both agreed we'd come to St. Thomas specifically to do the helicopter wedding so we decided on the 5th. We're both so glad we made that decision.

The only bad thing was that our napkins, chocolate wrappers and a couple other things at the reception said May 4th, 2013. We just thought it was kind of funny and now we have a story we'll never forget.

tl;dr: Wedding was supposed to be May 4th, Got drunk, helicopter broke down, had wedding on May 5th. It owned.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
The Engagement ring just arrived, I think it looks really good.

edit: ill try and get a better picture later.. when its on her hand. my phone didn't want to focus on it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Ugh, so my wedding is still over a year away, but I may have run into a problem with my chosen locale

I was hoping to get married at my Grandparent's homestead. There's a lovely old house, a large yard, plenty of parking and a big garage that we had used to house a small family reunion. I also have a lot of wonderful childhood memories connected to the farm.

Unfortunately, the farm currently belongs to my uncle (or at least it will when my Grandpa dies, but my uncle and his family have been using the farm as a second home for a number of years now. The problem is that my mother and uncle are no longer on speaking terms. My mom apparently "ruined their lives" by not selling her brother her half of the land that they will both inherit. My uncle's offer was low for the current price of land and my mom would prefer to keep renting the land out to use as a small source of income for when she retires. The land would also then be passed on to me and my brother, some 40 years from now.

My uncle didn't take this well and started talking about what a horrible, selfish person she is and how me and my brother don't even care about the farm, so she doesn't deserve the land. My mother had to hang up on him and doesn't care if she never speaks to him again. We have a family reunion coming up in July, but my mom isn't going because she doesn't want to be around my uncle.

This obviously throws a wrench into my wedding planning. There's a chance things could all cool down in a few months, but I'm afraid it may be a permanent rift with that side of the family. If that's the case, then I no longer have my dream wedding venue. :(

Nessa fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 26, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Nessa posted:

Ugh, so my wedding is still over a year away, but I may have run into a problem with my chosen locale

I was hoping to get married at my Grandparent's homestead. There's a lovely old house, a large yard, plenty of parking and a big garage that we had used to house a small family reunion. I also have a lot of wonderful childhood memories connected to the farm.

Unfortunately, the farm currently belongs to my uncle (or at least it will when my Grandpa dies, but my uncle and his family have been using the farm as a second home for a number of years now. The problem is that my mother and uncle are no longer on speaking terms. My mom apparently "ruined their lives" by not selling her brother her half of the land that they will both inherit. My uncle's offer was low for the current price of land and my mom would prefer to keep renting the land out to use as a small source of income for when she retires. The land would also then be passed on to me and my brother, some 40 years from now.

My uncle didn't take this well and started talking about what a horrible, selfish person she is and how me and my brother don't even care about the farm, so she doesn't deserve the land. My mother had to hang up on him and doesn't care if she never speaks to him again. We have a family reunion coming up in July, but my mom isn't going because she doesn't want to be around my uncle.

This obviously throws a wrench into my wedding planning. There's a chance things could all cool down in a few months, but I'm afraid it may be a permanent rift with that side of the family. If that's the case, then I no longer have my dream wedding venue. :(

Sounds like your mom needs to be the bigger person by going to the reunion and pretending nothing ever happened. Maybe the uncle will have calmed down by July. If not, well, better to know for sure that you're severing than just assume based on his anger at the time.

e: Also, it's still your grandfather's property, and they don't own it just because they use it as a "second home." Work with your grandfather on using it as a venue.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 26, 2013

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Sounds like your mom needs to be the bigger person by going to the reunion and pretending nothing ever happened. Maybe the uncle will have calmed down by July. If not, well, better to know for sure that you're severing than just assume based on his anger at the time.

e: Also, it's still your grandfather's property, and they don't own it just because they use it as a "second home." Work with your grandfather on using it as a venue.

Well, it's not solely my grandfather's property. My uncle has his name officially on the house and land, and he's had buildings built on the property already. I really have no say in the matter. My uncle made it pretty clear to my mom that she was no longer welcome.

I'm hoping it will all blow over in the next couple of months here.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I dunno, I'd start looking for a Plan B venue if I were you.

My family has had an ongoing fight about a 2' wide strip of land for years at this point (property was split between two sons, the city zoning and the deed in the will were different by a couple feet and all hell broke loose when one of them tried to put up a fence. Stupid, I know), even to the point of going to court over it. Best case scenario both parties will drop it for a while, and then it'll probably resurface at your wedding while everyone is on said property and you don't want that sort of drama going on while you're trying to enjoy your day.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I dunno, I'd start looking for a Plan B venue if I were you.

My family has had an ongoing fight about a 2' wide strip of land for years at this point (property was split between two sons, the city zoning and the deed in the will were different by a couple feet and all hell broke loose when one of them tried to put up a fence. Stupid, I know), even to the point of going to court over it. Best case scenario both parties will drop it for a while, and then it'll probably resurface at your wedding while everyone is on said property and you don't want that sort of drama going on while you're trying to enjoy your day.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that I don't know anyone else with space like that for a backyard country wedding. :/

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Oh my God. Oh my God. Two and a half weeks and I am officially FREAKING OUT!! What if I forget some small, stupid detail? I just sent like four page long facebook messages to wedding party members. Still freaking about MIL not pulling her weight on the rehersal dinner. She caterwauled about not being involved but she hasn't said anything to me about the rehersal dinner so I just messaged her to make sure she had all the contact info for the people coming. One the 8th we are going out to the location to figure out how we want everything set up. My dress will be ready by June 8th. Spa day on the 13th, rehersal 14th, Big Day is the 15th.
Is there any details or things you all wish you could have remembered for day of?

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Toriori posted:

Oh my God. Oh my God. Two and a half weeks and I am officially FREAKING OUT!! What if I forget some small, stupid detail? I just sent like four page long facebook messages to wedding party members. Still freaking about MIL not pulling her weight on the rehersal dinner. She caterwauled about not being involved but she hasn't said anything to me about the rehersal dinner so I just messaged her to make sure she had all the contact info for the people coming. One the 8th we are going out to the location to figure out how we want everything set up. My dress will be ready by June 8th. Spa day on the 13th, rehersal 14th, Big Day is the 15th.
Is there any details or things you all wish you could have remembered for day of?

I wish I had made a checklist of everything that needs to be done on the day and delegated 1 or 2 people (like my maid of honor or my aunt, who was the "hostess") to help make sure everything on the checklist was completed, instead of trying to do it all myself. I was a major control-freak about my wedding and I really wish I had let go a little and trusted people to help me out.

Examples: I totally forgot to pick up the bouquets, corsages, and boutonnieres so my brother had to Speed Racer across town to pick them up for me.
I forgot my headband-tiara thingy so I had to do without.
I forgot my cute "going away" outfit to wear to the after party.
I had written a little thing in the program about having a candle ringed with rosemary "for remembrance" to represent deceased loved ones, but I forgot the rosemary in the fridge at the house.
We didn't hire a videographer, but my cousin offered to record it for us with our camcorder. I of course forgot to bring the camcorder.

Thankfully these were all minor things (with the exception of the flowers) that didn't make too much of a difference in the long run. So, if something small does fall through the cracks, I promise you'll probably be the only one who notices.

If anything, make sure you contact your venues (or have someone trusted contact your venues) for both rehearsal dinner and ceremony/reception the day before the event to make double drat sure everything is good to go.

Oh, and either set aside some time to actually sit down and eat with your spouse or ask someone to have a to-go box made for your guys to snack on afterwards (including a couple slices of cake). We were running around having pictures taken and toasting and doing those delegated dances and such so we never got any time just the two of us to relax for a minute and eat some of the delicious food.

Lefty Lugubrious fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 27, 2013

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007
So, my boyfriend and I are discussing marriage, and something came up that I thought I'd get another opinion on. He has a sister a couple of years older than us. She lives closeby, and they have regular contact with each other but are not exactly fond of one another. She doesn't seem to particularly like me either, but is by no means hostile.

Here's my question: while she is absolutely invited to any wedding we may have, to what degree would I be "expected" to involve her in everything? Planning, wedding party, whatever. She's not my sister, so that excludes me from being more or less obligated to make her a bridesmaid, I'd think, but I'm pretty stumped where anything else is concerned. Also not sure how important this is, but despite both their parents being atheists, she's very churchy and seems weirdly interested in weddings in general.

Also, if it's important, I'm close to his mom, who will probably end up getting involved well beyond what I want. She's already picking out venues. :sigh:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Don't involve her in anything if you don't want to. If your MIL is already gung ho about wedding planning, your future sister in law can probably fill the role of your MIL's assistant. That way she can still help but you don't have to deal with her directly.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
If she's interested in weddings in general* then she will probably want to be involved, but yeah you can limit that. As for the mom, have your not-yet-fiance set boundaries early on because it'll only get worse if you give her free rein to begin with. Just ask opinions now and again (not ones that SUPER matter though) and hopefully that'll be enough. Is the sister the daughter of the MIL or no?

* and it's not weird as women we're socialized to be obsessed with princesses and brides from very early on and also there's a whole entertainment genre now centered around wedding planning and and and shut up :(

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So I'm engaged now. Her family is on the West Coast, and my family is on the East Coast. I just want to invite no one, and she wants to have 2 weddings - one on each coast. Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

FogHelmut posted:

So I'm engaged now. Her family is on the West Coast, and my family is on the East Coast. I just want to invite no one, and she wants to have 2 weddings - one on each coast. Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

Sounds like destination wedding territory to me. If a lot of people are going to travel regardless, make it somewhere cool like an island or even Vegas or a cruise. It'll naturally limit the guest list while allowing whoever really wants to be there to do so, plus built in honeymoon.

Relative affluence of the families matters as well.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

My dress is ready! :neckbeard: But since I bought it at a store 1000+ miles from where I live I have to wait almost a month until I have a free weekend to fly out there to do my fitting :saddowns:

Buying a dress at the location where I'm getting married was a good idea in theory (I can keep it at my parents' house! I won't have to take it on an airplane!) but not in practice. I'm considering bringing it back with me and getting the rest of the alterations done locally.

FloorCheese
Jul 17, 2012

Silly Hippie posted:

So, my boyfriend and I are discussing marriage, and something came up that I thought I'd get another opinion on. He has a sister a couple of years older than us. She lives closeby, and they have regular contact with each other but are not exactly fond of one another. She doesn't seem to particularly like me either, but is by no means hostile.

Here's my question: while she is absolutely invited to any wedding we may have, to what degree would I be "expected" to involve her in everything? Planning, wedding party, whatever. She's not my sister, so that excludes me from being more or less obligated to make her a bridesmaid, I'd think, but I'm pretty stumped where anything else is concerned. Also not sure how important this is, but despite both their parents being atheists, she's very churchy and seems weirdly interested in weddings in general.

Also, if it's important, I'm close to his mom, who will probably end up getting involved well beyond what I want. She's already picking out venues. :sigh:

Dunno if this is something you'd want, but you could always opt to go without any kind of bridal party and avoid the bridesmaid thing all together. I'd say though, honestly, the bride and groom don't "have" to involve anyone they don't explicitly want to. The flipside of weddings being crazy is that the bride and groom can basically be as "selfish" (and I use that term very loosely here) as they want... I mean seriously, it'd be your wedding, you shouldn't involve anyone you don't actually want to involve. If she's wedding crazy, she should focus that energy on her own and not muddle someone else's.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Silly Hippie posted:

You're not required to do anything. It would probably go a long way towards fostering a good relationship with his family to make sure that she isn't completely excluded from everything though. Being involved in a bridal shower or even a lunch with you and your MIL, if she's helping with any planning, would be nice.

Its a little bit weird going to the wedding of an immediate family member when you haven't heard a peep about it besides the date and time on the invitation and a text message the day of around noon asking why you aren't there three hours early for pictures. (Because you didn't tell us you turd!) My partner's younger brother has always been a tremendous brat though, so I doubt you would take it that far.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007
Thanks guys. All good advice. I don't think being obsessed with weddings is particularly nuts - I've been planning mine since I was like 5. It's just strange in her case because she's mostly focused on religious, sanctity of marriage type aspects.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

As for the mom, have your not-yet-fiance set boundaries early on because it'll only get worse if you give her free rein to begin with. Just ask opinions now and again (not ones that SUPER matter though) and hopefully that'll be enough. Is the sister the daughter of the MIL or no?

He's already told his mom to chill, I think she just got excited when she realized this was really happening. Her other daughter eloped. And yes, this sister is her daughter, but she doesn't get along with her, either.

FloorCheese posted:

Dunno if this is something you'd want, but you could always opt to go without any kind of bridal party and avoid the bridesmaid thing all together.

Actually, I think this is the best advice yet. We were probably going to have a tiny wedding party either way, but to be honest, I'm not really sure what the point of them is? My best friend will help whether she has a title or not, and nixing the bridesmaid thing will probably just save effort in the end.

FloorCheese
Jul 17, 2012
My wedding is under 4 months away and I also opted to have no bridal party. I've never understood the point and didn't particularly enjoy being in them. Saved me so so so much trouble and I completely avoided a lot of potential stupid wedding-related drama. Definitely recommend it if you feel comfortable with it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Jesus Christ standing still in high heels for 40 minutes is excruciating. And the glue started separating from the sole of the shoe, so now I have to get a new pair. At least I somehow magically fit perfectly into my dress, and I only need it hemmed and a little tuck in the boobs and it's good.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like we are reaching the finish line. The state should recognize us as married starting the 18th (was able to iron that out and get a judge today) but our actual event and our celebration date will be the 29th. So far with this, buying a home, planning for a baby, and other crap, I feel like :tviv:

Good luck pre-matrimonial goons!

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006
Started the journey today by putting a lovely ring on my girlfriend! Thanks to all the goons in this thread whose posts helped me get a good deal on a very nice engagement ring! :dance:

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
^ Congrats!

I'm a man (sent) on a mission. We're currently looking into a bunch of different possibilities (sucks when both families are separated by half the planet), and the biggest problem we have is finding dark wood chairs in Seattle. Seattle just seems to be devoid of the variation we're looking for.

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

So the wedding was this past Sunday. Although a few things on the itinerary didn't exactly happen, and there were a few delays, and me being a sorry-sop about being left out of the dinosaur adult pinata bashing, overall it was just a loving amazing day.

The most overwhelming thing is just how many people came and gave us all their love. A 175-person potluck BYOB party-with-a-wedding-ceremony-in-the-middle kind of event doesn't sound like it would work, but it totally did. Holy crap. There is sort of too much to talk about. I can't even start now. We made a shitton of the crowd cry then laugh for our vows. Everyone from the town we live in came 30 miles for us (which is a very common trip when you live 3 hours from a city). Much of our town shut down for the evening so everyone could come. Holy crap. And there were family I didn't even expect! And friends I haven't seen in years!

But here is the first picture that our photographer threw onto Facebook. I can't wait to see the "first look" photos. It was such an intense feeling, I was champing at the bit to go meet my man.

Seriously, I can't even begin to narrate this cohesively. And we're leaving on Saturday for a roadtrip honeymoon to New Orleans, which is super exciting. Just wow.

Also, people keep calling me Mrs. Hislastname, which I feel kind of douchey correcting every single time. But if everyone keeps calling you Jennifer and your name is Stacy, you need to correct them, right?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

FogHelmut posted:

We're kind of doing that. Well, we are just getting courthouse married but we're having two receptions/parties/whatever you want to call them. Either way they're not formal events.

But our families only live an hour apart, haha. We just wanted to have two parties!

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Just did this three weeks ago - my family is all up and down the West Coast, his is mainly in the Carolinas (where I live now). We did a small ceremony at a vineyard about 2.5 hours from where we live, with the rehearsal dinner, hotel, etc. being 20 minutes further east in a resort town on the ocean. It had the advantages of a destination wedding - gorgeous location, plenty to do during non-wedding events for guests - but wasn't a huge travel burden for me (7 months pregnant) or his mom (recovering from back surgery). I got to show off my new home state to my family and the weather was much nicer here three weeks ago than it was in my former hometown.

For me, though, the biggest aspect of the ceremony was about formally bringing the two families together, especially since they will soon be sharing a granddaughter. Except for the pastor, his wife, and my husband's best friend, every one of our 12 other attendees was close family - sisters, brothers, parents, and selected aunts, uncles, and cousins. Although we'd each met each other's families, our families hadn't met each other, so we made that the focus of the wedding. Everyone stayed at the same resort and hung out by the pool/tiki bar, everyone was invited to the rehearsal dinner, and we didn't do any formal seating arrangements at the reception so everyone got to mingle.

Having one ceremony with just my husband's family and one ceremony with just mine wouldn't have felt like it quite honored that new family bond, plus both sets of parents are traditional/conservative enough that they would have seen whichever ceremony was legal (if any) as more legitimate. That objective for the wedding also made it easier to figure out where to put our planning time - e.g., it was a lot more important to make sure there was an ordained minister than it was to make sure there was good music at the reception, whereas if I were doing a big wedding with friends, I would reverse those priorities.

If your concept of a good wedding means a great party with friends and family in celebration of your love, though, then two receptions/weddings in order to involve the biggest number of happy people would make the most sense. If you want to invite nobody and she wants to have two weddings, though, then maybe a good first step is to get specific about what each of you wants from the wedding. For me, I wanted to get legally hitched and get some nice pictures with my partner, everything else was a bonus. For him, he wanted to celebrate our relationship formally in front of our families and to give his mom that important milestone of her child's marriage. My opening bid once we got engaged was "elope to Key West," but once I learned what his priorities were, we were able to meet in the middle pretty easily.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Our 800th (it seems) tentative date just got blown out of the water. We were so close to nailing down a date then the military was like "LOL NOPE you're going to Afghanistan on that date have fun!" However, the silver lining is that we have a more concrete idea of when we CAN'T have our wedding and there's only one unknown in the way before we can solidly nail down a date :dance:. If we survive this drat wedding planning, everything else after this will be easy.

I have my first dress fitting in two weeks and I haven't bought shoes yet because I want to be able to see the actual dress in person before I go shoe shopping. Will this be a problem? I had my measurements taken with 3" heels when I ordered my dress, have I locked myself into only being able to buy a pair of shoes with 3" heels or will I still have some wiggle room? I figure I can always buy shorter shoes and get the dress hemmed a bit, but I'm worried about loving a pair of taller heels and having the hem of my dress be too short :ohdear:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If we survive this drat wedding planning, everything else after this will be easy.

Serving in Afghanistan: nothing compared to wedding planning!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

disheveled posted:

Serving in Afghanistan: nothing compared to wedding planning!

I wasn't comparing our wedding planning to his deployment, its just one more wrench thrown in our plans among the rest of the mechanic's tool chest that's already been hurled at them.

Edit for clarity: by "survive this planning" I meant as a couple with all this poo poo being hurled at us left and right, once we get through this together we can handle anything else life throws at us. Not like, surviving literally as in life and death.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 4, 2013

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Our 800th (it seems) tentative date just got blown out of the water. We were so close to nailing down a date then the military was like "LOL NOPE you're going to Afghanistan on that date have fun!" However, the silver lining is that we have a more concrete idea of when we CAN'T have our wedding and there's only one unknown in the way before we can solidly nail down a date :dance:. If we survive this drat wedding planning, everything else after this will be easy.

I have my first dress fitting in two weeks and I haven't bought shoes yet because I want to be able to see the actual dress in person before I go shoe shopping. Will this be a problem? I had my measurements taken with 3" heels when I ordered my dress, have I locked myself into only being able to buy a pair of shoes with 3" heels or will I still have some wiggle room? I figure I can always buy shorter shoes and get the dress hemmed a bit, but I'm worried about loving a pair of taller heels and having the hem of my dress be too short :ohdear:
I don't know if it applies for spouses or only military members with kids, but I know there is additional pay for deployed soldiers with families; have you looked into that, and looked into possibly getting legally married before he leaves in order to collect on that? Might be worthwhile.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I don't know if it applies for spouses or only military members with kids, but I know there is additional pay for deployed soldiers with families; have you looked into that, and looked into possibly getting legally married before he leaves in order to collect on that? Might be worthwhile.

Believe me we've considered this and it's still an option on the table. We've talked about it extensively, and we'd both really like our wedding with all of our friends and family to be our "real" wedding, not a fancy vow renewal disguised as a wedding. Even if we secretly get courthouse married and didn't tell anyone, the cat's out of the bag when we change our ceremony venue because of issue #2: We're trying to have a wedding in a Catholic church, and being legally married on paper beforehand negates our ability to do that. I've talked to multiple priests, including a Catholic military chaplain, and explained our situation and none of them will budge on it. Even if we didn't live together or anything post legal marriage, they won't allow it.

Another issue is that this starts an enormous fight with my family whenever I so much as mention the possibility of getting courthouse married. I normally get along pretty well with my family, but any mention of getting legally married months in advance starts a huge argument that culminates in days or weeks of not speaking to each other. If it comes down to it and it's truly the best option for us I can tell them "gently caress you it's my wedding deal with it" but I'd rather not if I can avoid it. He's not in a combat unit and will generally be out of harm's way (well, as reasonably far as you can get over there, nothing's guaranteed) so we're not terribly worried about me needing POA or life insurance benefits that I'd get if we were married on paper. If he were in a combat unit, or if something changes and he gets sent to one, then we'll get courthouse married no questions asked.

Before anyone asks why we can't just have our wedding with friends and family before he ships out, he'll be in all sorts of training with nebulous dates and the months preceding and during his deployment are all hands on deck pre product launch insanity 24 hours a day at work time for me so I can't really bail out to go get married and still expect to be employed when I return. He's only deploying for three months, so we can wait it out (which is why it was more of a "gently caress you" when we got the dates, it's such a short period of time and it fell squarely on top of our latest date. We were both a bit pissed).

He conveniently returns two weeks after the product launches, and will have two weeks of leave during which we're going to have our wedding come hell or high water, dammit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Not that I would ever advocate lying to the priest... But have you considered lying to the priest?

I mean, I get that he's not going to be in a combat unit or whatever, but even on military bases stateside, poo poo happens, and survivor benefits/insurance/separation pay are a big deal.

Though, yeah, I totally get if you didn't want to/don't thing you can get away with lying to the priest; definitely not worth permanently damaging your familial relationships over. I guess I'm just lucky that my family wouldn't consider something like that a big deal (in fact, in your position, they'd probably consider me dumb for not getting it done ahead of time).

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 4, 2013

my darling feet
May 9, 2007
are truly captivating

FloorCheese posted:

Our wedding is this September and we got our engagement photos done in spring. Both my fiance and I are suuuuper nervous in front of the camera, but TBH, once the engagement photos came back and we saw how AWESOME they were (and after we met our photog and realized she was a joy to work with), it allayed our fears.

imgur makes it look grainy/bad but you get the idea:

I know this gal in real life! Didn't think she was a goonette : 3

FloorCheese
Jul 17, 2012

my darling feet posted:

I know this gal in real life! Didn't think she was a goonette : 3

Hey you :)

Just around under four months for me to go. I haven't lost a pound and haven't been to the gym in half a year. I'm oddly not caring about this... I think I am burnt out on giving-a-poo poo.

Our invites from WeddingPaperDivas are on the way to us and I am suuuuper nervous about how they will look.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Not that I would ever advocate lying to the priest... But have you considered lying to the priest?

I mean, I get that he's not going to be in a combat unit or whatever, but even on military bases stateside, poo poo happens, and survivor benefits/insurance/separation pay are a big deal.

Though, yeah, I totally get if you didn't want to/don't thing you can get away with lying to the priest; definitely not worth permanently damaging your familial relationships over. I guess I'm just lucky that my family wouldn't consider something like that a big deal (in fact, in your position, they'd probably consider me dumb for not getting it done ahead of time).

We would but there's the whole signing the marriage certificate thing that would be hard to explain. We can't really be double married without running into problems.

I was in the same boat that I thought my parents would understand (my dad was military too) but since they managed to do it without getting married on paper first they think our situation is identical to theirs :rolleyes: They seem to purposely ignore the fact that we're at war now and we weren't 30 years ago when they got married so things are different.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

I don't know how things are done in the Catholic church in the US, but here we had to submit official government papers to the church proving that neither of us were married as an obligatory part of the whole process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FloorCheese
Jul 17, 2012
Anyone have good sources for reception dresses? Nordstrom and Macy's are failing me completely. I'm basically looking for a white cocktail dress and it's annoyingly difficult...