Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Wooten posted:

Tim Samaras, his son Paul, and Carl Young from Team Twistex were all killed by a tornado on Friday night. Really sad, especially considering they were the only team on Storm Chasers that was really interested in science. I really always thought it would be Reed. :smith:

Holy gently caress. That is horrible. He was always so safe too. I remember part of the conflict within his team last time was that he always backed off. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Wooten posted:

Tim Samaras, his son Paul, and Carl Young from Team Twistex were all killed by a tornado on Friday night. Really sad, especially considering they were the only team on Storm Chasers that was really interested in science. I really always thought it would be Reed. :smith:
How much you want to bet that the executive that cancelled Storm Chasers at Discovery is cleaning out his desk today?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

nmfree posted:

How much you want to bet that the executive that cancelled Storm Chasers at Discovery is cleaning out his desk today?

For not having 3 people die while filming a Discovery show? Somehow, I doubt it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yes, I too would like to have Discovery air a snuff film. :wtc:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

They might still be alive if the TV crew was there, since they would probably have taken less risks. :smith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And the TV crew might also have been killed, who knows what could have happened.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Wooten posted:

My favorite Reed Timmer moment was when he ordered one of his crew members to stay home for a chase, basically so he could impress a woman.

haveblue posted:

And the TV crew might also have been killed, who knows what could have happened.
Given the state their vehicle was in after the tornado (there's a picture of the wreckage of the Twistex on Facebook) I have little doubt that a TV crew would have perished as well.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

My point was that they might have stayed further back? Or were they caught in an impossible situation?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

My favorite Reed Timmer moment was when he ordered one of his crew members to stay home for a chase, basically so he could impress a woman.

Given the state their vehicle was in after the tornado (there's a picture of the wreckage of the Twistex on Facebook) I have little doubt that a TV crew would have perished as well.

Not that I am defending reed at all but she was a meteorologist it wasn't like she had no real business being there, it was just a douche move.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

ToastyPotato posted:

My point was that they might have stayed further back? Or were they caught in an impossible situation?

My local weatherperson mentioned tonight that there were so many chasers on the road at the time and they caused a traffic jam.

Something happened and the storm changed paths making a beeline for their group while they were either stuck or trying to get away.

I am far from Oklahoma but it was surprising he mentioned that tonight.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yes, I too would like to have Discovery air a snuff film. :wtc:

There was that one episode of Deadliest Catch where Captain Phil died. :smith:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

There was that one episode of Deadliest Catch where Captain Phil died. :smith:

See also: Seizure Kid from The Wizard.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
I know I'm late, but I finally caught up on the last three episodes of Deadliest Catch. I hate to say this, but I find myself somewhat impressed by Elliot. It seems like he is turning a new leaf and is actually learning from his mistakes. Even after getting hosed over by Junior, he managed to land on the crab and come out with a good haul. Under normal circumstances, I would have rooted for Junior screwing Elliot over, but it's the second time he has done it this season, and it's becoming tiring. Junior has become an full-on egomaniacal dick.

Also, I'm excited that Jake Anderson is finally getting a chance at being a skipper, albeit as a trainee. I've rooted for him since he was a greenhorn in, what, season 1 or 2? As the Hansen bros have said, he still has a lot of growing up to do, but he has been through a lot of terrible poo poo and deserves a break. Also, I'm curious to see if Josh gets the Cornelia back for opies. Getting his equipment jacked was hosed up. Stealing someone's gear seems like a big no-no in that community, especially because of their superstitions. But I suppose there are thieves and cheats in every community.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Exploder posted:

I know I'm late, but I finally caught up on the last three episodes of Deadliest Catch. I hate to say this, but I find myself somewhat impressed by Elliot. It seems like he is turning a new leaf and is actually learning from his mistakes. Even after getting hosed over by Junior, he managed to land on the crab and come out with a good haul. Under normal circumstances, I would have rooted for Junior screwing Elliot over, but it's the second time he has done it this season, and it's becoming tiring. Junior has become an full-on egomaniacal dick.

Also, I'm excited that Jake Anderson is finally getting a chance at being a skipper, albeit as a trainee. I've rooted for him since he was a greenhorn in, what, season 1 or 2? As the Hansen bros have said, he still has a lot of growing up to do, but he has been through a lot of terrible poo poo and deserves a break. Also, I'm curious to see if Josh gets the Cornelia back for opies. Getting his equipment jacked was hosed up. Stealing someone's gear seems like a big no-no in that community, especially because of their superstitions. But I suppose there are thieves and cheats in every community.

It's weird because you'd think something like stealing a bunch of gear would be hard to keep secret. Someone had to have known it was there too, because that seemed to be kind of isolated, unless other nearby containers were also jacked and they didn't mention it.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

It's weird because you'd think something like stealing a bunch of gear would be hard to keep secret. Someone had to have known it was there too, because that seemed to be kind of isolated, unless other nearby containers were also jacked and they didn't mention it.

Yeah, I think it was mentioned in the last episode that there are 60 boats and 240 workers in the entire fleet. So how does something like that go unnoticed and kept secret in such a small community? And from what I understand, the Harris family is very well respected among them. If you're going to steal from anybody in Dutch Harbor, you wouldn't think they would steal from Josh Harris.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Exploder posted:

Yeah, I think it was mentioned in the last episode that there are 60 boats and 240 workers in the entire fleet. So how does something like that go unnoticed and kept secret in such a small community? And from what I understand, the Harris family is very well respected among them. If you're going to steal from anybody in Dutch Harbor, you wouldn't think they would steal from Josh Harris.
I think that at this point the only things you can steal from Josh Harris are meth and more meth.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

I think that at this point the only things you can steal from Josh Harris are meth and more meth.

Jake Harris is the crackhead in that family. Josh is the one who is actually making something of his life.

edit:
Sidenote: I mentioned earlier in the thread that Freddy probably wouldn't leave The Wizard because he has a good relationship with Keith, and is making a lot of money on that boat. If asking Keith to be his godfather isn't a good indication of that, I don't know what is. It's kind of disappointing though, I would love to see Freddy working for Josh on the Cornelia again.

Exploder fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 4, 2013

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Jake Anderson's "Everyone is against me" mentality is really loving annoying

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
I think Jake has spent too much time at sea. He was going a bit stir crazy.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I don't see things working out on the Kiska Sea, they showed the pace to be way faster and they were busting his balls so hard.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So... are they saving an update on Josh Harris and the CM for the next episode? Kind of weird to not mention him at all considering the last episode basically ended with him discovering he had been robbed...

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Mythbusters is blowing my mind. Dirtbike just smoked across 100 feet of water.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Nik Wallenda walking across poo poo! :hellyeah:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Supreme Allah posted:

And now they're doing commercials for products used in the show.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Photex posted:

I don't see things working out on the Kiska Sea, they showed the pace to be way faster and they were busting his balls so hard.

The captain seems to be WAY less tolerant as well. He's training for Captain but Jake seems to be back at square one in terms of proving himself and having any sort of respect from his crewmates. If he was sick of deckwork on Northwestern he's gonna find it hellish on Kiska Sea.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Seems more like New-Guy-teasing to me and of course showing that they are better at fishing than those showoffs on the Northwestern (and other TV boats). Of course Jake has to prove that he knows what he is doing, and that means some time on the deck before he can go further. Of course it was a bit cruel to expect him to perfectly hook from a deck he doesn't know and with a skipper he doesn't know how he approaches the pots/buoys and work as fast on said completely differently laid out deck as he did on the Northwestern/the guys who are doing this for years. Being the New Guy is hell on these boats.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Supreme Allah posted:

Yeah, that was one of the times that makes Mythbusters worth all the dross. I didn't expect it to work that well either and it looked totally badass.

They should have upgraded to a real crotch rocket and tried it at 150.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 6, 2013

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
If you had told me that you could actually ride a motorcycle across the water for a couple hundred feet, I would have laughed in your face. That was insane.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

haveblue posted:

Yeah, that was one of the times that makes Mythbusters worth all the dross. I didn't expect it to work that well either and it looked totally badass.

They should have upgraded to a real crotch rocket and tried it at 150.

I imagine faster bikes would start being heavier as you go up in HP, which would counteract the speed gain? I was still completely shocked every time they successfully did it.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

ToastyPotato posted:

I imagine faster bikes would start being heavier as you go up in HP, which would counteract the speed gain? I was still completely shocked every time they successfully did it.

This will probably blow your drat mind then: A two-passenger dune buggy doing the same thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Well that was pretty amazing.

But I also feel like the extra surface area of the wheels somehow help distribute the weight on the water, kind of like that lizard?

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
Jake Anderson is a whiny little bitch. I really, really hate him. Since day one. Sorry his dad went crazy and killed himself but I don't understand why he thinks that means he gets to be captain. Elliot really needs to get over his ex. I don't know if she is just a bitch or if he is a creepy stalker at this point. If he doesn't, he is going to lose that boat.

No more fireworks on the Time Bandit.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

cycowolf posted:

Jake Anderson is a whiny little bitch. I really, really hate him. Since day one. Sorry his dad went crazy and killed himself but I don't understand why he thinks that means he gets to be captain. Elliot really needs to get over his ex. I don't know if she is just a bitch or if he is a creepy stalker at this point. If he doesn't, he is going to lose that boat.

I feel like it has less to do with his ex and more to do with his kids.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It was inevitable that someone was going to get seriously hurt on the Time Bandit because of that boat's culture of moronic messing about. Allowing, let alone encouraging, employees to be playing with a blowtorch and high power fireworks on a shifting surface should be enough to get their captain's licences revoked.

loving idiots.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

cycowolf posted:

I've always liked Jake, but I agree. To a certain extent, you have to have a bit of an ego to run a crab boat in the Bering Sea, but at this point he has become whiny and impatient. It's getting annoying. He is on the fast track to becoming a captain, but he is too impatient to realize that it's still going to take a couple years and getting used to a new boat. He doesn't have the privilege of being born into the business or having money, so it's going to take that much more work and time.

As far as Elliot goes, he is just a moron. He finally has a good thing going in his career, and he is going to let this toxic "relationship" with his ex ruin it all. Hey Elliot, here's a tip: instead of running around the wheelhouse cussing and throwing things, pay attention to your goddamn deck, it's full of ice. Go stalk your ex in the offseason.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I wouldn't be surprised if Elliot has a massive inferiority complex, it's the only thing I can think of to explain his hilarious superiority complex. Also his hosed up relationship. And the grand gesture of jumping straight down the debt toilet to buy his own boat.

Junior seems like a run of the mill dick.

Wild Bill is a stereotype of a bullying father. It's no wonder his son shrugs off getting shouted at for serious mistakes, he's constantly getting bollocked and belittled for nothing in his dad's quest to 'make him a man'.

And yeah, Jake seems to have needlessly burnt bridges and thrown away what was probably a job for life, and a very well paying one at that, in his desire to prove himself. He gets a lot of leeway from me though because it does seem that his life is some sort of waking nightmare.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Exploder posted:

I'm guessing that stuff is on the Saga. If you told me Jake Harris "sold" it to Elliot for a week's worth of meth, I'd beleive it.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 10, 2013

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Reminder: Elliott Neese once called, and left messages for, his ex 51 times in two days and was SHOCKED that she would use that as the basis for a restraining order.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
On a side note, this commercial always got me excited for the science channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pKD9BeH4mo

Also I finally caught up with one of those new Survivorman 10 Day Survival episodes and the Norway one was very good. And you could tell that Les was worried and stressed as hell going down the mountain. Just him starting to look panicked and swearing a lot actually got me really worried even though I knew he obviously didn't die. I read an interview where he says he even told his editor not to include some stuff because he found it too embarrassing. I mean, I would have liked to have seen that because it really shows know matter how well prepared or trained you are poo poo can go bad.

A clip for context: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/survivorman/videos/mountain-slide.htm

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Crazy Ted posted:

Reminder: Elliott Neese once called, and left messages for, his ex 51 times in two days and was SHOCKED that she would use that as the basis for a restraining order.

He also just mentioned in the last episode he was sending her flowers every week. Now I'm no expert in law, but that seem a particularly bad idea when the recipient has had a restraining order out on you.

• Locked thread