Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm doing pretty well as viking Norway except for a independence war that I can totally handle. Then my king dies. He's young, only recently took over and only has one son. I take the throne as his son and everyone hates me and I'm forced to give my aunt power. A few years later I get murdered by someone. She is my heir since my previous heir, my sister, had gone and died from natural causes at the ripe old age of 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

DrPop posted:

How do you get Prepared Invasions going? Is it in the diplomacy menu of your target?

It's in the Declare War menu of a target. The first time you do this sets up the preparation for the war.
Then, for the next two years, 'adventurers' and so on will turn up in one of your provinces (the capital, I guess), with fleets appearing in the nearest sea. I think a mini stack appears once every month. Once you're ready, go back to the Declare War menu and get your :black101: on.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Veeta posted:

After a break of a few months, I've decided to get back into CKII with the release of the new expansion/patch, and am starting off with only slight modding just to get a feel for the game as it currently exists in its vanilla form. One of the smaller mods I've decided to make use of is the tried and trusted family relations mod, but for some reason it's features just aren't showing up in the game, and from the look of the last page of that thread, I'm not the only person having that problem. I was wondering if anyone here knew of any other mods that did something similar, whether they be big or small, or how I might go about making the mod work properly with this most recent version of the game.

Well, that mod says it's for 1.08, and the current patch version is 1.10. There have been a huge number of changes between 1.08 and 1.10, so it's no surprise that it isn't working. You'll have to either wait for the mod creator to update it (which if it hasn't been updated since 1.08 is unlikely to happen), or you'll have to dig through it to see what it modifies, and figure out what needs to be fixed to make it work with 1.10.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, pretty much everything on the Laws screen has opinion modifiers, do they stack over time?
Like if I wanted to set my Crown Authority from none/min to Low, to get at those sweet +20% levies, will the -5 to vassal opinions be static, or will it worsen over time?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So my awesome king finally died of old age, and the guy who took over is an idiot with the Lunatic trait. And I'm right in the middle of a war with England when it happens, so 6000 or so of my levies are tied up on boring siegework so that England will just give me another loving county already. Oh awesome.

Predictably, some rear end in a top hat immediately raises a peasant revolt, and then half of France rises up in rebellion, and then Wales does too. In response I raise all my loving troops, but it's actually looking like a close thing (all my good commanders revolted!), so I have to hire two merc companies. In the end I managed to crush all their forces and win every single loving war -- I'm the king of four goddamn countries so even though that was a huge rebellion, it was about a third of my territory. The numbers were always on my side. That said, between the taxes I wasn't getting paid and the merc contracts, my new idiot king managed to bankrupt the 900 guilder treasury his father left for him.

And all my vassals still hate me. And quite a few of them are in jail and will need to be dealt with in some way or another, soon.

And I just got a notice that my wife is trying to have me killed.

I think I'm going to let her.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Qwo posted:

Are there any events/mechanics tied to any of the Catholic heresies? ie, is there any benefit to my converting to Lollardy or Catharism besides holy wars and the self-reward of being less morally reprehensible than Catholicism?

You cannot be excommunicated in the heresy and can Holy War other Christains but also can be subject to Holy War.

Did anything change with the heresies in ToG? It would be nice if you could capture your parent religion Holy Sites and if the moral authority had a wide enough spread; declare the parent religion a heresy and your religion the new parent.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CapnAndy posted:

And I just got a notice that my wife is trying to have me killed.

I think I'm going to let her.

I love this game.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Qwo posted:

Are there any events/mechanics tied to any of the Catholic heresies? ie, is there any benefit to my converting to Lollardy or Catharism besides holy wars and the self-reward of being less morally reprehensible than Catholicism?

as far as I can tell there are no differences between heresies and no events.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I love this game.
My heir is a decent kid and now that he's back under my control he's getting a good education (I am never giving my heirs land ever again, they marry idiots and are educated by Wrong People), and my guy's a lunatic. I am justifying it because the magical pixie from Bralalie has told the king not to worry about the plot.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

My heir is a decent kid and now that he's back under my control he's getting a good education (I am never giving my heirs land ever again, they marry idiots and are educated by Wrong People), and my guy's a lunatic. I am justifying it because the magical pixie from Bralalie has told the king not to worry about the plot.

I like to give my heir lots of land, but never until he is 16 and safely married. I just wish you could give land to your female heir directly- giving their matrilineally married husbands land always seems to lead to disaster.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm playing my first game with the new Muslim rules (it's been a while) and I got an event that said my second wife poisoned my first wife's son, who perished, but my followup options centered on punishing the first wife, who I killed because she wasn't so great, and my son didn't die (who I verified is the son of the now-dead first wife). There are still bugs like this?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

LowellDND posted:

Well that was a disaster :v:

I will ask the question though - what should I do instead of giving titled lands to my sons? I was thinking it better to keep vassals in the family.

One thing I've found helps is that if you can, send every single one of your children to the crusades. It doesn't matter if you get crushed over and over again. Go on the crusades yourself. If you can defeat an uprising then between that, the bonus from being of the same dynasty, the bonus from releasing prisoners and the bonus from being crusaders, they will love you no matter what.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

marktheando posted:

I like to give my heir lots of land, but never until he is 16 and safely married. I just wish you could give land to your female heir directly- giving their matrilineally married husbands land always seems to lead to disaster.
Yeah, and then your heir goes and has a grandkid who gets educated by some Thrifty Clerk or something and then married to a 4 diplomacy nobody from Russia. Enjoy the delayed action heir bomb!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's 888, and I (as Harald Fairhair) have created Norway, gained numerous Swedish vassals simply by asking nicely (and being huge), subjugated the Danes, and reformed the Norse faith. I'm worried about my kingdom when I die and pass my stuff along to my three sons, but I'm getting away from any major trouble via elective succession.

I'm also damned close to founding the Scandanavian Empire, but I need a little more piety. What's the best way for that? Holy wars against the Old Norse holdouts, or the Catholics if need be? Sacking Koln again?

The dream at this point is to unite the Norse faith under a single ruler (me). The north of Europe will grow prosperous with unity, while the south burns up with discord (and also with actual fire). Given how shockingly easily the pagans can expand, all I'll really have to do is sit back and try to keep the empire together.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I asked this before but I think it got lost because it was part of a bigger post:

What the gently caress is up with Primogeniture sucession? Are you supposed to need High Crown Authority to institute that or is my game (which was started pre-1.10) bugged? Because if that's intentional, that is hosed and I liked it better the old way, where changing it to Primogeniture was literally the first thing I always did.

And if it's bugged... for the three crowns I've created/usurped, crown authority's immediately been set to Minimum, Gavelkind succession, and I like I said I need High to get Primogeniture. Intended behavior? Because it seems hosed.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Nolanar posted:

It's 888, and I (as Harald Fairhair) have created Norway, gained numerous Swedish vassals simply by asking nicely (and being huge), subjugated the Danes, and reformed the Norse faith. I'm worried about my kingdom when I die and pass my stuff along to my three sons, but I'm getting away from any major trouble via elective succession.

I'm also damned close to founding the Scandanavian Empire, but I need a little more piety. What's the best way for that? Holy wars against the Old Norse holdouts, or the Catholics if need be? Sacking Koln again?

The dream at this point is to unite the Norse faith under a single ruler (me). The north of Europe will grow prosperous with unity, while the south burns up with discord (and also with actual fire). Given how shockingly easily the pagans can expand, all I'll really have to do is sit back and try to keep the empire together.

As part of my continuing balance modding I gave all pagans Tanistry or Elective succession (one or the other, not both). After weakening the Norse militarily I found that they were too easily conquered later on by christian nations due to the enforced and mildly broken Gavelkind. Now I have to move on to the goddamned Magyars who think that because they're country is Red they can role play as the USSR.

e:^^^ If your playing Skandies they've always needed HCA for primogeniture.
e2: Actually I think that's been the case for everyone.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 3, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Schizotek posted:

Irish! And I went right to Primogeniture when I was an Irish Duke, but that was 1.09.

In 1.10 I've created Wales and Brittany and usurped France, and all three went to no authority and needing HCA for primogeniture.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010

Dwarf posted:

What file should I edit if I wanted to make Great Holy wars startable in the year 1000?

Gonna quote this. I've looked in the Events and Common folder to no avail. I think it'd go a long way towards giving Christians a fighting chance.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Schizotek posted:

As part of my continuing balance modding I gave all pagans Tanistry or Elective succession (one or the other, not both). After weakening the Norse militarily I found that they were too easily conquered later on by christian nations due to the enforced and mildly broken Gavelkind. Now I have to move on to the goddamned Magyars who think that because they're country is Red they can role play as the USSR.

e2: Actually I think that's been the case for everyone.

In my games the gavelkind seems to have been the only thing holding the Norse back from basically conquering their way cross the north of the map. Then again I also get weird poo poo like Norse Antioch.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I'm even worse at this game than I am at HoI2. Clear something up for me - I can't just start a plot against anyone, right? I only have two ambition options - have a daughter or get rich - but I want to assassinate my brother before he kills my kid.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pipski posted:

I'm even worse at this game than I am at HoI2. Clear something up for me - I can't just start a plot against anyone, right? I only have two ambition options - have a daughter or get rich - but I want to assassinate my brother before he kills my kid.

You can start a plot against almost anyone, actually, but for the most part you don't do it from the Click To Choose A Plot bar on the intrigue screen. Instead, go to the character sheet of whoever you're gunning (knifing?) for, and there's a little icon where your own Choose Ambition button is (just under their big Coat of Arms). Click that and you can select a plot to start against them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gorelab posted:

In my games the gavelkind seems to have been the only thing holding the Norse back from basically conquering their way cross the north of the map. Then again I also get weird poo poo like Norse Antioch.

No weirder than northman France and northman Sicily. Heck, Antioch was ruled by Normans until the muslims drove them out.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Go to his character page and click the little button above the diplomacy button. That shows the plots you can do against him. You can plot to kill anyone except your kids. Now you, too, can plot to kill your brother and get increasingly frustrated as your plot sits at >100% power for years on end before being revealed by some drunken rear end in a top hat or never actually gets any support because they all love your brother.

e;fb

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The latest official comment is that we're getting 2 more years of expansions:
https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/341505597478432768

Then presumably CK3 in 2015 or 2016.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Dwarf posted:

Gonna quote this. I've looked in the Events and Common folder to no avail. I think it'd go a long way towards giving Christians a fighting chance.

I think it's probably in the CB folder.

Pipski posted:

Did you try the intrigue screen? Or the little dagger beneath the portrait on your Brothers character screen?

Gorelab posted:

Vanilla Norse are pretty stupidly powerful. The succession laws were only necessary because I weakened the Norse by removing their levy bonuses, and removing some holdings at the 867 start date, as well as decreasing the size of the starting special event doomstacks (the 4 Ragnarrsons start allied to make their invasions somewhat feasible). I test it by playing as Ghana with the fow turned off so I can't accidentally influence poo poo. It always ends up the same way. Magyar take over the world.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's barely been out a year and we've already had this much new content. By the time 2016 rolls around CK2 is going to be a hell of a game :stare:

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Schizotek posted:

Did you try the intrigue screen? Or the little dagger beneath the portrait on your Brothers character screen?

I don't have a little dagger under his portrait. Just the diplomacy button.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Pipski posted:

I don't have a little dagger under his portrait. Just the diplomacy button.

Have you patched the game?

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Calling it now, future expansion will be another Rome based one that starts off in the 400's during the end of the Western Empire.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Gorelab posted:

Have you patched the game?

Quite possibly not. This isn't my machine. I will investigate that... Ta!

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Dwarf posted:

Common->cb_types->00_cb_types.txt CTRL-F for CB_NAME_CRUSADE and it'll show the years that crusades can be called for religions - the default is 1090 for Christians, 1100 for Pagans and 1187 for Muslims.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Thesoldier posted:

Calling it now, future expansion will be another Rome based one that starts off in the 400's during the end of the Western Empire.

Charlemagne is another easy pick. Some book marks between 867-1066 would be cool too. I want Senatrix Marozia to be in the game.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Thesoldier posted:

God I hope so, this sounds awesome. Alternative options include theocracies or some more New World alt-history stuff (c'mon colonization).

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Would expanding the map towards India make sense for the period?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I want more Africa, I want to play as Great Zimbabwe.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

marktheando posted:

I want more Africa, I want to play as Great Zimbabwe.
That would be seriously amazing. If only Paradox wasn't Paradox.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nightblade posted:

Hey guys, the Newab of Bengal, the grandson of a previous king of Norway who's now become a Hindu, inherited Apulia five years ago in my game. I've been waiting for Bengalese Italy to erupt in revolt, but so far everything's been quiet. How do I get the Bengalis out of Italy?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Nightblade posted:

It would make a fair amount of sense. From the 8th century onwards, Muslim invaders - first Arabs and then Turks started encroaching into northwest India, and modelling India (for a given degree of accuracy) with the base feudal mechanics of CK II wouldn't be too difficult. Although of course, you'd then have some people whining about their pure Nordic realm being overrun by a horde of Tamil courtiers.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ofaloaf posted:

Hey guys, the Newab of Bengal, the grandson of a previous king of Norway who's now become a Hindu, inherited Apulia five years ago in my game. I've been waiting for Bengalese Italy to erupt in revolt, but so far everything's been quiet. How do I get the Bengalis out of Italy?

Probably a combination of stabbings and JFK references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

YouTuber posted:

Did anything change with the heresies in ToG? It would be nice if you could capture your parent religion Holy Sites and if the moral authority had a wide enough spread; declare the parent religion a heresy and your religion the new parent.

Yeah, I'm wondering what happens if a heresy gets all the holy sites of their parent religion.

Easiest one to try it with would probably be a Shiite religion - all the holy sites are pretty close together. Or maybe a Zoroastrian heresy.

If not, I hope a mod does some flavorful stuff about that.

• Locked thread