Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So uh, do you still have semaphore flags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

So uh, do you still have semaphore flags?

We briefly debated posting the remote pilots in the hallway and yelling, before we decided to go play ATC hangman until the supervisor let us go home.

We did discover, however, that although the VSCS is not on the protected circuit, the coffee makers in the breakout rooms ARE. loving priorities.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My instrument check ride is Monday. I'm so nervous I'm posting here when I should be studying!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rolo posted:

My instrument check ride is Monday. I'm so nervous I'm posting here when I should be studying!

Meh. If your up for your check ride you already know all the required information and skills anyway. Studying is good but I'd suggest relaxing as much as studying. When you get all worked up an nervous you tend to make mistakes. There's no need to panic study for hours on stuff you already know.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DNova posted:

If you're training under Part 61, it's totally informal. When your CFI thinks you're ready, he endorses your book and gets out of the airplane. Part 141 might be different but I don't know much about 141.

Anecdotally, I certainly had no written test.

My first solo was under Part 141. The syllabus called for us to go out ONE MORE TIME in the pattern to make sure I knew what I was doing. After that part of the lesson, I had to come in to do my pilot mill's standard pre-solo written test, which I think was 10 questions and open book, but basic stuff that I already knew pretty well.

From there, it was "Go fire it up. When you're switched to tower, tell them you're a student on a solo. I'll be monitoring tower in the office & they know we'll be listening. If you need us, ask for us. See you in a bit."

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Can I get updated in the OP please.

Captain Apollo - Commercial Single Engine Land

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Great job friend. Congratulations.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
How in the hell

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
At least SOMEONE is getting poo poo done, my streak of bad luck continues. Broke my clavicle at a memorial day party at my house last week, getting surgery this Wednesday to reset it with titanium pins. So not only am I grounded for several months, I get to explain that fun poo poo on every future medical and every time I go through TSA. something tells me that maybe I should start looking for a different career...:smithcloud:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does anywhere still have metal detectors? My dad was so excited when our small local airport got the microwave scanners because his hip no longer triggered it every time and could go through like a normal person.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
I actually just put my Flight Instructor Rating training on hiatus last week. My RCAF selection process is finally moving again (re-Interview/Medical next Tuesday!), and based on my best guess, I could reasonably get an offer by ~August if I pass the tests and am selected. I sat down and crunched some numbers, I could spend about $6000 and finish the rating by about mid-late July. If I get an offer from the air force, I'd only get about 1-2 months of instructing out of the rating, and that just wasn't worth the money. So the hiatus will last until I hear negatively from the military, if that happens to be the case, Plan B will be relaunched and I'll finish the rating and instruct part time until I can ditch the cubicle!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Butt Reactor posted:

At least SOMEONE is getting poo poo done, my streak of bad luck continues. Broke my clavicle at a memorial day party at my house last week, getting surgery this Wednesday to reset it with titanium pins. So not only am I grounded for several months, I get to explain that fun poo poo on every future medical and every time I go through TSA. something tells me that maybe I should start looking for a different career...:smithcloud:

Titanium is non-ferrous; it won't set off metal detectors. I have a titanium rod in my leg from when I fractured my femur and it's fine. And the medical is report once, then "previously reported; no change."

Plus if/when you become airline crew, you'll presumably be able to take advantage of TSA's Known Crewmember in any case.

hobbesmaster posted:

Does anywhere still have metal detectors? My dad was so excited when our small local airport got the microwave scanners because his hip no longer triggered it every time and could go through like a normal person.

Thought most checkpoints kept their metal detectors for when the scanners were offline. And for those of us who travel a lot (and/or who are part of CBP's various trusted traveler programs like Global Entry) TSA uses a metal detector for the TSA Precheck line. As someone who refuses to do the scanner, Precheck is such a great thing.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

MrYenko posted:

We did discover, however, that although the VSCS is not on the protected circuit, the coffee makers in the breakout rooms ARE. loving priorities.

hahhaha YES

This is not the least bit surprising. God, I love controllers and the people we work with.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well that was seriously awful and stressful, but I got told I fly well as my examiner gave me my instrument rating today.

8 hours :cheers:!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm working on a program that downloads approach plates. Ideally, it makes downloading new versions each month hassle free - open program, press Download, print a single PDF. Allows you to save selections, and avoid navigating the FAA's site. Checks latest plate version automatically.

I personally find it useful, but don't know if others would.

Some questions:
Do you print your most-used plates, or just use the books?
Does this seem faster than using the FAA website? Enough to make it worthwhile?
Bugs / suggestions / feature requests? Plate you use not working?

Open-source. I'm going to try to add a feature to print directly from the program, saving a step.

Windows Download

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 4, 2013

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

Captain Apollo - Commercial Single Engine Land
Congrats it's :homebrew: time now!

Rolo posted:

my examiner gave me my instrument rating today.
Congrats it's :yaycloud: time now!

I (re)Learned some valuable lessons today:

-Just because the APU shouldn't flame out when you go to start your first engine doesn't mean it won't.

-Just because you don't have to have an alternate doesn't mean you shouldn't list one.

-Just because you don't have to bring some contingency fuel just in case you need an alternate doesn't mean you shouldn't

-Just because your schedule is legal doesn't make it safe.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Congrats Captain Apollo! :hfive:

Sully, I want to look up to you so badly, yet you keep making it harder :(:

http://sullysullenberger.com/faa-facing-pressure-as-deadline-approaches-for-pilot-qualification-safety-rules/

hobbesmaster posted:

CMH still has them to back up the phone booths. They even sometimes use it to make the line move faster at Concourse C.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

CMH still has them to back up the phone booths. They even sometimes use it to make the line move faster at Concourse C.

Pretty much everywhere still has them. Most places use the backscatter scanner though and only use the metal detectors under certain circumstances. What did sully do now?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

KodiakRS posted:

Pretty much everywhere still has them. Most places use the backscatter scanner though and only use the metal detectors under certain circumstances. What did sully do now?

He basically said "The 1500 hour law is a really good thing but is under scrutiny from people who know things, so you need to write the FAA and your representatives to tell them so because if you get on an Express carrier with a sub-1500TT pilot, you're gonna die."

Also "We need to stop all those RJ pilots that crash on a daily basis because all they do is kill people."

He's being (pardon the pun) throttled on Facebook.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Didn't the 3407 FO have well over ATP minimums? I dislike the "AIRPLANES ARE GONNA FALL OUTTA THE SKY IF WE DON'T DO SOMETHING" line. I also don't like how he's constantly bashing on the regional like they're death machines where the people who can't make the grade at a major aline go. Unfortunately a logical well explained argument doesn't fit neatly into a 10 second sound bite.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dominoes posted:

I'm working on a program that downloads approach plates. Ideally, it makes downloading new versions each month hassle free - open program, press Download, print a single PDF. Allows you to save selections, and avoid navigating the FAA's site. Checks latest plate version automatically.

I personally find it useful, but don't know if others would.

Some questions:
Do you print your most-used plates, or just use the books?
Does this seem faster than using the FAA website? Enough to make it worthwhile?
Bugs / suggestions / feature requests? Plate you use not working?

Open-source. I'm going to try to add a feature to print directly from the program, saving a step.

Windows Download

This is pretty sweet. I use fltplan.com's mobile app, but this lets me pre-load stuff instead of using their somewhat confusing interface.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

KodiakRS posted:

Didn't the 3407 FO have well over ATP minimums? I dislike the "AIRPLANES ARE GONNA FALL OUTTA THE SKY IF WE DON'T DO SOMETHING" line. I also don't like how he's constantly bashing on the regional like they're death machines where the people who can't make the grade at a major aline go. Unfortunately a logical well explained argument doesn't fit neatly into a 10 second sound bite.

Captain and FO were both well north of 2500TT. Both would have been qualified under the terms of the law, which begs the question: "Would the law have prevented Colgan 3407?".

It's disappointing because, unlike Schumer, who seemed to be shilling the "We're going to fix this RIGHT NOW, don't you worry, I'm going to be a hero so I get re-elected" approach, you'd think Sully would look at things from both perspectives. I'm still amazed by what he did on the Hudson, but then he uses his celebrity and "expert" status to push his own (flawed) policy. He's not the voice of reason he very well could be, especially since you KNOW he's got to know one of the underlying causes was training.

e- And the "traveling public" sees Uncle Sully's calm, gentle demeanor, and buys it hook, line, and sinker.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 4, 2013

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Would the law have prevented Colgan 3407?".

No. There are some fundamental flaws with the industry that lead to the 3407 incident which have yet to be addressed. Unfortunately these issues are deeply rooted in the aviation community and will be almost impossible to change without a major philosophy shift from regulators, airlines, and aircrews.

While I don't agree with some of what sully is saying, I'm going to have to disagree with you and say that FTDT and the ATP rule really are needed. Current rest rules are pretty weak and can get you into some situations where you're absolutely dead tired but technically legal.

As far as the ATP rule is concerned 250 hours simply isn't enough experience for this line of work. Sure you may be able to pass your type ride but as far as real world experience is concerned a 250 hour pilot is just starting out. Most people I know would say that they learned almost as much in their second 250 hours as they did in their first 250. A few years ago my airline was hiring some really low time guys. They made it through the sim ok but a bunch of them had some serious issues once they made it to the line. The full on ATP minimums may be a little bit overkill, especially if you're going to be acting as SIC as an F/O but until someone comes up with a better idea it's apparently what the FAA is going with.

It's not perfect by any means but it'll at least put a stop to *some* of the problems we're facing.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

KodiakRS posted:

-Just because your schedule is legal doesn't make it safe.

I pointed this out when scheduling tried to reassign me to a bunch of additional flying, after exactly an 8hour reduced rest period, and flying in weather the entire trip(delays ect.) I was told its legal so as far as they were concerned it was safe, and they had no one to cover the flying anyways. I called their bluff, called fatigued, and magically they found someone else.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

KodiakRS posted:

I'm going to have to disagree with you and say that FTDT and the ATP rule really are needed. Current rest rules are pretty weak and can get you into some situations where you're absolutely dead tired but technically legal.

I agree with the new Duty requirements, actually. That's something that DOES make sense that was passed in the last few years.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Ferris Bueller posted:

I pointed this out when scheduling tried to reassign me to a bunch of additional flying, after exactly an 8hour reduced rest period, and flying in weather the entire trip(delays ect.) I was told its legal so as far as they were concerned it was safe, and they had no one to cover the flying anyways. I called their bluff, called fatigued, and magically they found someone else.

Unfortunately this is usually the case. I've dropped the F bomb and had flights cancel though. It sucks but I'm not risking my life, license, and the passengers lives when I know I can't perform 100% just to help the company. Sorry.

Speaking of fatigue calls. My last one was actually due to a lack of eating. It was a 5 leg day and the first leg was delayed for mx. The airport only had vending machines for food and delayed the rest of our flights into the next. Basically we'd have to fly non-stop for 7 hours and still wouldn't be in done by release time. This was on the last day of a busy 4 day trip. After 9 hours of not eating anything but airplane snacks, I needed to eat and got called on it while eating. I said I had already pushed myself too far and I'm not flying anymore because I'm not safe.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 4, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

What about Comair 5191 or the idiots joyriding on the other Delta/NW regional whose name I've forgotten?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

What about Comair 5191 or the idiots joyriding on the other Delta/NW regional whose name I've forgotten?

Pinnacle 3701

Edit: The theme here isn't time at the accident but the time they got hired with. In all these instances they came from the Gulfstream Academy. I've flow with some from there that are sharp, others just WAY too relaxed.

Edit edit: Although I truly believe Comair 5191 was about fatigue not over training. You get in a flow when you fly the same airplane for so long and so frequently. You just do things, like checklists, and its very easy to run a whole checklist and then realize you didn't touch a switch. More often then that the checklist has caught that "Hey you didn't x" but when I'm tired, I've done it. I've also caught other pilots on it. When you're tired, it sucks. You will miss things, you will make mistakes, you will misjudge things. Its a human factor that is difficult to fix. The new sleep rules (I have a copy if anyone would like them) are a step in the right direction.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 4, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I like how they "pushed the aircraft to its limit" by setting the autopilot. The most boring thrill seekers on the planet.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The Ferret King posted:

Great job friend. Congratulations.

The Slaughter posted:

How in the hell

KodiakRS posted:

Congrats it's :homebrew: time now!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Congrats Captain Apollo! :hfive:

Thanks everybody! Like I said in the first post of this thread, I hope to be a CFI by the end of this thread. Hopefully I can get it done late late July or early August!

Butt Reactor posted:

Come down to Texas and be my CFI Instructor?

Rolo posted:

Well that was seriously awful and stressful, but I got told I fly well as my examiner gave me my instrument rating today.

8 hours :cheers:!

Congratulations Rolo. Instrument is a hard one, when are you moving on to Commercial?

I'm going to do a Commercial Checkride write up. Mine was strangely non-standard but wonderful. I was there from 9:00am to 5pm.....

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I like how they "pushed the aircraft to its limit" by setting the autopilot. The most boring thrill seekers on the planet.

Actually they did quite a few abrupt maneuvers at low altitude as well.

Also, they say they set it 500 fpm above FL380 which was against manufacturers recommendations. Believe it or not, thats quite a climb rate at that altitude for that airplane. We are usually using 500 fpm in the mid/upper 20s. But the recommendations must have been from the climb/cruise chart which I don't think they had IIRC and wouldn't have let them go that high anyway. Wikipedia words things for everyone, read that actual NTSB report. Lots of info in there about them changing seats and more.

Edit: They had them but they were in their FCOM not in a Quick Reference Handbook.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 4, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The report is here: http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2007/aar0701.pdf

Sounds like some poo poo you'd do in FSX for the hell of it. But uh, yeah...

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...just-metre.html

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That video is nearly a decade old. They're a little late to the party.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

MrYenko posted:

That video is nearly a decade old. They're a little late to the party.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/04/us/new-york-drone-report

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

The report is here: http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2007/aar0701.pdf

Sounds like some poo poo you'd do in FSX for the hell of it. But uh, yeah...

"This accident was not the result of a single action, decision, or mistake by the
flight crew. Instead, the accident was the result of poorly performing pilots who
intentionally deviated from standard operating procedures and basic airmanship."

:drat:

Interestingly the same "stall recovery" technique that (finally) doomed them also doomed Colgan 3407.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Come down to Texas and be my CFI Instructor?

:raise: I'd have to check my logbook to see if I meet the mins for part 61 CFI instruction, but at the very least I don't see why we can't do some ground via Skype or something like that. Where are you located in TX ?

Also fellow instructors, any recommendations on how to advertise my services for ground tutoring? I may not be able to fly for a few weeks but I'd like to retain my knowledge while still making a few :20bux: on the side.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

http://mobile.buffalonews.com/?articleRedirect=1

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

No joy on the link, try again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Butt Reactor posted:

:raise: I'd have to check my logbook to see if I meet the mins for part 61 CFI instruction, but at the very least I don't see why we can't do some ground via Skype or something like that. Where are you located in TX ?

Also fellow instructors, any recommendations on how to advertise my services for ground tutoring? I may not be able to fly for a few weeks but I'd like to retain my knowledge while still making a few :20bux: on the side.

KLBB

• Locked thread