Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

SlenderWhore posted:

So, any hopes for something exciting coming out of SE for E3, or will they just continue to shill their stupid MMORPG crapfest that like two people will play?

A lot of people are looking forward to A Realm Reborn. It now actually looks and plays pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Renoistic posted:

Yeah, I'd rather have them releasing new, fresh games. Hopefully they will start making good console games again someday.

With A Realm Reborn gearing up for an August release we'll probably be seeing some more actual effort being thrown around rather soon, if only because there's no all-hands-on-deck call for fixing their catastrophic failure as fast as humanly possible anymore.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Camel Pimp posted:

The bug in question is a pain in the rear end to pull off (at least in a way as to get noticeable results);

Select action -> Press B to go back to said character -> repeat as necessary.

It really isn't a pain. It's tedious, but it's still nothing compared to having to sit through 50+ rounds of combat at higher skill levels. The faster growth in the FF2 remake (iOS uses the PSP version) is welcomed. The iOS/PSP's keyword-based dungeons are also nice because one map has a chest that can contain an Osmose spellbook and the only other way to get more than one is from Wizards, who are both rare and stingy as gently caress about dropping the book but the spell's ridiculously powerful.

NikkolasKing posted:

Now I believe there's also a stat penalty for equipping certain weapons or armors? I've never really been sure if that was a NES only thing or if it was in the remakes as well. If it was in the Dawn of Souls version I almost beat, I never noticed it. Still, if tht is a thing, it's pretty dumb because I'm pretty sure it never mentioned that when I put the stuff on my characters.

You get penalties to evade/block based on armor weight. Agility's chance to go up is based on your block/evade percent so if you want to level agility you basically have to remove your armor and dual wield shields while using magic to kill stuff. Even then it's slow and with 99 agility you can end up going after other characters/enemies that have half the agility you do because the game really just hates the player at times. If you use full genji gear with an aegis/whatever shield and maxxed shield skill/agility I think your block % is still completely in the toilet.

In the NES game agility also affected your chance to flee so if you didn't have high agility you couldn't flee worth a drat and with many enemies you had a 0% chance. This is on top of it being impossible to flee from undead for some crazyass reason.

That loving Sned posted:

If they ported the PSP version, which includes the original game, The After Years, and an interlude chapter, then it's not like you're forced to play the new stuff. You could just play a prettier version of the original game, rather than some romhack hard mode bullshit from the DS version.

Hey man, FF4 DS is a good game. Just look at all the challenge and... you gave Cecil Draw Attack and Counter and he just parries 24/7? Oh, ok. Here have a CPU fight where the opening attack can wipe the entire party from full HP, except cecil, unless they're blocking in which case Edge might live long enough to enter a command and if you're really lucky his command will execute before something kills him. Oh you took longer than 10 seconds CPU did its super laser storm again gently caress you.

Then you get omnicast (if you looked it up in a walkthrough because the augment system is retarded) and run through the moon where random encounters are more challenging than the final boss of the game but hey you're already used to random encounters being harder than bosses because it's a recurring theme in this poo poo pile of a cashgrab.

FF4 DS is so loving awful. I wouldn't be surprised if the same assholes that designed and balanced it were used for the original incarnation of FF14.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Imagine a party consisting of Cecil, Kain, Terra, Bartz, and Ceodore coming in for the final boss fight. It's just lazy.

Yang, whatever his daughter's name is, Sabin, Monk Butz, Monk Faris. :getin:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hey man, FF4 DS is a good game. Just look at all the challenge and... you gave Cecil Draw Attack and Counter and he just parries 24/7? Oh, ok. Here have a CPU fight where the opening attack can wipe the entire party from full HP, except cecil, unless they're blocking in which case Edge might live long enough to enter a command and if you're really lucky his command will execute before something kills him. Oh you took longer than 10 seconds CPU did its super laser storm again gently caress you.

Then you get omnicast (if you looked it up in a walkthrough because the augment system is retarded) and run through the moon where random encounters are more challenging than the final boss of the game but hey you're already used to random encounters being harder than bosses because it's a recurring theme in this poo poo pile of a cashgrab.

FF4 DS is so loving awful. I wouldn't be surprised if the same assholes that designed and balanced it were used for the original incarnation of FF14.

Literally none of this is true.

Counter + Draw attacks is powerful but tons of enemies have group attacks. The CPU fight you described never happened, and the augment system owns. FF4 DS is better then the original in every way.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Pepper posted:

Counter + Draw attacks is powerful but tons of enemies have group attacks. The CPU fight you described never happened, and the augment system owns. FF4 DS is better then the original in every way.

It is ugly as gently caress, so clearly it is not better in every way. And the gameplay is pretty lovely too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dr Pepper posted:

In all fairness CPU is a pretty big overhaul from the original, especially since you have Fusoya over Kain in that battle. Laser Storm can be notoriously game-ending on a fresh playthrough. Not to mentions Flamehounds and Red/Blue Dragons.

FF4 DS is just clearly not designed for fresh players of the game or those who don't want to consult a walkthrough.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ApplesandOranges posted:

In all fairness CPU is a pretty big overhaul from the original, especially since you have Fusoya over Kain in that battle.

This is not different. You had FuSoYa instead of Kain at that point in the non-DS versions too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I dunno, I have a pretty rare perspective on FF4DS (It was the first version of FFIV I played, I didn't use a walkthrough, and it was one of the first FF games I played), and I thought it was pretty good.

The gameplay was actually tough and required some thought, and the augment system never bothered me because I had no idea I was missing out.

Flamehounds are some serious bullshit though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The only real hiccup with the CPU fight in the DS version is that they changed how the fight worked, but kept FuSoYa's dialogue about which part needs to be destroyed first the same as it is in the previous versions. So if you do what he tells you to do, you get your rear end handed to you.

Once you've figured out the real order to destroy the components in, it's just a matter of making sure you don't die while killing the boss.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cake Attack posted:

Flamehounds are some serious bullshit though.
Could you imagine being six years old and running into them?

They left one hell of a memory for me.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It is ugly as gently caress, so clearly it is not better in every way. And the gameplay is pretty lovely too.

Except the gameplay is vastly better then the original. You have options and some actual challenge.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr Pepper posted:

You're right the CPU doesn't open the fight with a several-thousand damage group att... no wait he does exactly that and the closest fight to it is the one with Leviathan, an optional fight whose tidal wave attack is less likely to wipe everyone when they defend for it but also benefits from you having Kain in addition to Cecil (and Edge) to survive and get Rosa/Rydia back up and once you recover from the start of the fight it's just a matter of keeping HP up for subsequent waves.

The amount of party attacks (excluding magic, which Rosa can trivialize on the moon with omnicast wall) is negligible aside from the occasional horribly lovely imbalance like Flamedogs that have a better chance of wiping you than most bosses will.

Dr Pepper posted:

Except the gameplay is vastly better then the original. You have options and some actual challenge.

The challenge is largely in the form of the random battles. Few boss fights outside of CPU/Leviathan are difficult and if you get augments like Dual Cast and Omnicast those reduce most difficulty to SNES Easymode levels, especially combined with things like draw+counter.

FF4DS has abysmal game balance and if someone's looking to play FF4 they should grab the PSP version if possible.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

You're right the CPU doesn't open the fight with a several-thousand damage group att... no wait he does exactly that

No it doesn't.

I don't know what version of the game you played, but this never happened in any play-through of the DS version I ever played.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF4 DS is honestly the best version. The large amount of complaints appear to be "wait, I have to do something besides hit attack" or "I used a FAQ and am upset that my super minmaxed party has a super easy time!"

ApplesandOranges posted:

FF4 DS is just clearly not designed for fresh players of the game or those who don't want to consult a walkthrough.

Yes it is. Literally the only thing the game asks from you is that you actually try to do something besides use Attack or Fire 3. That's it. Every complaint about it being HARDMODE ROMHACK ignores the fact that the only significant thing it did was buff the usefulness of non-attack spells through the roof and the only thing you need to do to succeed in the game is use non-attack spells and abilities more regularly.

The Flamehounds are legitimately bad design and they are a fair complaint, but they're one of the few things that are and they were badly designed in the original version too.

Dr Pepper posted:

No it doesn't.

I don't know what version of the game you played, but this never happened in any play-through of the DS version I ever played.

The Attack Node has a fairly large range in which it can use its attack, although it's very hard for it to be the first the machine makes it is possible. It hits very hard but it also has rock-bottom defense and is susceptible to Slow, so the only way you're getting nuked is if you don't bother to use status effect spells. Even in a low level game I was more that capable of beating the poo poo out of the Attack Node before I got killed.

It's not a great fight, mind you, and it's really a boring boss once you take out the Attack Node, but it isn't this near-impossible thing. I'd say it is one of the worst bosses in the game because the Attack node basically is the sum total of its attacks and once it is down, unless you destroy the Healing Node, it just becomes a damage vs healing race.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 4, 2013

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be honest, I kind of feel like FF4 DS's difficulty is unfair at a lot of points because FF4 SNES's gameplay has less depth and customization than its predecessors at a lot of points, and the DS version really did nothing to change that. It kind of takes options away from the player compared to the original, since White Magic status spells besides Slow and Berserk are unreliable because they use Intellect for their success rate now, Edge can't use the claws, and reequiping uses up a turn. And giving enemies that had an attack based off of Max HP more HP and speed without playtesting it is pretty terrible design for a game made in, what, 2008?

And even ignoring gameplay, FF4 DS doesn't really do much for the story, since it still comes across as the clumsy gap between FF1/2/3's NES-era presentation and 6/7/8's story-driven stuff. So it's kind of hard to call the best.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Dr Pepper posted:

No it doesn't.

I liked the DS version and all, but didn't the flamehound have the tendency to do this? I don't remember if it was with a whole-party attack, but those things kicked my rear end worse than most of the bosses in that game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The DS version is the only one I've played, but I thought it was pretty fun. I hate when RPGs make you feel too strong, and I didn't really feel that way with the game. I didn't like the Augment system though. Even if I wasted useless ones on the temporary characters (I knew beforehand what the final party was), it still felt weird to use permanent resources on guys I knew I wouldn't have forever. It's the same thing that prevents me from using Elixers, essentially.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

To be honest, I kind of feel like FF4 DS's difficulty is unfair at a lot of points because FF4 SNES's gameplay has less depth and customization than its predecessors at a lot of points, and the DS version really did nothing to change that. It kind of takes options away from the player compared to the original, since White Magic status spells besides Slow and Berserk are unreliable because they use Intellect for their success rate now, Edge can't use the claws, and reequiping uses up a turn. And giving enemies that had an attack based off of Max HP more HP and speed without playtesting it is pretty terrible design for a game made in, what, 2008?

And even ignoring gameplay, FF4 DS doesn't really do much for the story, since it still comes across as the clumsy gap between FF1/2/3's NES-era presentation and 6/7/8's story-driven stuff. So it's kind of hard to call the best.

They altered other elements of the game so status effects in general are actually are more likely to be useful, not less. Status spells are more likely to stick than they were in the SNES version from what I recall. You have more options in general, even ignoring Augments existing.

Calling FF4 a "clumsy gap" is kind of weird in that it kind of defined most of what came afterwards. It's an early SNES game and it shows, but it isn't clumsy about it. It's not really at all similar to the NES games in structure and while the later games clearly refined the formula, FF4 put a lot of effort into defining it.

MechaX posted:

I liked the DS version and all, but didn't the flamehound have the tendency to do this? I don't remember if it was with a whole-party attack, but those things kicked my rear end worse than most of the bosses in that game.

Yes, the Flamehounds are just bad design. They had similar problems in the SNES version and it's kind of baffling they didn't correct them for the DS version. Their damage formula is really weird, especially for the area of the game they show up in, and having multiples show up in a single battle is just bizarre. I believe Break instant-kills them but that doesn't really help if Tellah gets oneshotted. Berserk is also fantastic on them but Berserk is a crazy-good spell in general.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 4, 2013

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Is the Complete Collection fun as a game, thumbs up or down? I'm kind of interested. I've been on a quest to play FFs I haven't played before recently, while replaying old ones along the way. Also I really like the art style they used for character art for After Years I saw as I was looking it up.

SNES version of 4 has a really poorly translated and confusing script, as I realized on my last playthrough. Also I sort of feel like 5 in a party is just one too many, though I've also felt that 3 is too few (this bothered me more in 7 than in 8 though). I didn't like the DS version at all and put it down at the first flamehound I came across, and wished I could put it down harder after looking stuff up and learning about the augments and how I'd missed so many. But then again I really don't mind if games are easy (and I almost prefer it that way).

As for other opinions since we're throwing them around, 2 is garbage and 3 is fun if you're playing the NES version and using a guide just to say you've gotten through it, and I just finished 8 for the first time recently and really, really enjoyed it.

Since the 10 remasters won't be out for awhile, I'm thinking of starting 12 for the first time, which is the International Zodiac Job System one. Goons who have played it, what are your class suggestions for each character? I read that you're locked into it once you choose and that scares me a little.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

FF4 DS is honestly the best version. The large amount of complaints appear to be "wait, I have to do something besides hit attack" or "I used a FAQ and am upset that my super minmaxed party has a super easy time!"
My complaint about it is that Namingway can no longer change your characters' names :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Elec posted:

Since the 10 remasters won't be out for awhile, I'm thinking of starting 12 for the first time, which is the International Zodiac Job System one. Goons who have played it, what are your class suggestions for each character? I read that you're locked into it once you choose and that scares me a little.

In general any character can be any class because the stat boosts from gear and licenses more then make up for any minor stat differences that exist.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Elec posted:

Though the class selection is permanent, I'd wager it's numerically impossible to screw yourself over with any job selection outside of something like 6x White Mages or something. Feel free to select whichever classes sound interesting to you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

My complaint about it is that Namingway can no longer change your characters' names :v:

Hey, at least they gave him a sidequest that acknowledged his newfound uselessness!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

fount of knowledge posted:

Though the class selection is permanent, I'd wager it's numerically impossible to screw yourself over with any job selection outside of something like 6x White Mages or something. Feel free to select whichever classes sound interesting to you.

Well you can't choose more than one of each job, but you can definitely make a party that would find it hard to finish the most difficult end game content. But its impossible to make a party that can't at least finish the main game and like 95% of the side quests.

Elec posted:

Making a party in IZJS can be pretty involved, but you really can just pick whichever sounds fun. If you're more into having an optimal party here's some tips: White/Black mages are really good since magic owns so yeah. Knight and Samurai have the highest late game damage potential. Hunters, Archers and Machinists all get remedy 3 which you want to have on at least one character. Monks, Uhlans and Breakers all get wither and expose which are very useful techs that debuff bosses.

If you're just looking for some quick char/class recommendations I like:

Vaan: Monk
Penelo: White Mage
Basch: Knight
Ashe: Samurai
Balthier: Hunter
Fran: Black Mage

A little cookie cutter but this was definitely the most powerful party I've tried.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

voltron lion force posted:

Hunters, Archers and Machinists all get remedy 3 which you want to have on at least one character.

I started my first run of IZJS a week ago, and I have none of these guys. :suicide:

For the record, my party is:

Vaan: Knight
Balthier: Uhlan
Fran: White Mage
Basch: Breaker
Penelo: Black Mage

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MrAristocrates posted:

I started my first run of IZJS a week ago, and I have none of these guys. :suicide:

For the record, my party is:

Vaan: Knight
Balthier: Uhlan
Fran: White Mage
Basch: Breaker
Penelo: Black Mage

Don't worry you've got a couple guys that at least have remedy 2 so you'll just need to worry about stop, doom and disease. Make sure you keep the appropriate curative items around and you'll be able to manage, though it'll be a pain if you get hit with some or all of them at the same time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Don't worry you've got a couple guys that at least have remedy 2 so you'll just need to worry about stop, doom and disease. Make sure you keep the appropriate curative items around and you'll be able to manage, though it'll be a pain if you get hit with some or all of them at the same time.

Well out of those, the only thing I don't usually set a separate gambit for on whatever character is acting as a White Mage in vanilla is Doom. Unfortunately, there's no other way to cure Doom, so I'm kind of screwed there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MrAristocrates posted:

Well out of those, the only thing I don't usually set a separate gambit for on whatever character is acting as a White Mage in vanilla is Doom. Unfortunately, there's no other way to cure Doom, so I'm kind of screwed there.

Yeah doom is a real loving pain. A little trick is that you can petrify the doomed party member, which will remove the doom, then cure them of the petrify. Only problem is since you don't have a Time Mage I think the only way to petrify yourself is a nihopalaoa gold needle. I think most of the time its just easier to let them die and then use arise.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Disease can be incredibly hard to deal with if you don't have Remedy 3, as Vaccines are rare as poo poo at least until end-game (and possibly forever; I forget). Luckily Disease is pretty rare. Also, Remedy 3 + a Nihopaloa is not to be ignored.

Most of the classes are really useful, surprisingly. Besides the classes already recommended, Red Mage is fantastic and stays potent right through the end of the game (unlike other Red Mages in the series that peak early and fall off hard). In addition to getting magic from all the other mage classes, they get their own unique set of spells. Statuses like Haste and various debuffs make an enormous difference in tough fights and exploring high-level areas early, so Time Mages are extremely useful. So yeah, it's hard to make a "bad" team.

If you're really concerned, you may want to check what Espers unlock what skills for each class. In some cases, really excellent skills can only be accessed if you give a specific Esper to a class, and sometimes multiple classes will really want the same Esper. If you're on the fence about a job, you might want to choose the job with less Esper conflict. You can see that info here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/939426-final-fantasy-xii-international-zodiac-job-system/52876031

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, at least they gave him a sidequest that acknowledged his newfound uselessness!
It's a shame I never saw past the part where you need to get a 1/256 item to continue. I have no real gripes with the battle system in 4DS past that "one item per battle, last item dropped" bullshit, mostly because 1/256 becomes more like, what, 1/4096 for any battle with more than one enemy in it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's worth noting that the reason I chose White Mage over Red Mage is because I didn't realize Red Mages could use White Magicks 1 since there wasn't a License for it on the board. :v:

I've learned so many things for my next run.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It's a shame I never saw past the part where you need to get a 1/256 item to continue. I have no real gripes with the battle system in 4DS past that "one item per battle, last item dropped" bullshit, mostly because 1/256 becomes more like, what, 1/4096 for any battle with more than one enemy in it.

Nah, that was pretty bullshit, I completely agree. I only saw it because I wanted to do a low-level run and you need that stupid item to do it so you can get the No Encounters augment.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So running back and forth on a staircase in Barrier Tower is getting old, is there any place where I'm desperately going to need 3-4 Reflect Rings with just Freelancers, or are they not really necessary for a long while and I can skip out until there's an easier way (if there is an easier way)?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MrAristocrates posted:

It's worth noting that the reason I chose White Mage over Red Mage is because I didn't realize Red Mages could use White Magicks 1 since there wasn't a License for it on the board. :v:

I've learned so many things for my next run.

Technically Red Mages can't use White Magicks 1 (Cure and Blindna, I believe). However, all 3 females always start with that license. Others of notes:
Fran comes with Black Magick 1
Fran, Balthier, and Vaan come with Steal
Basch comes with Libra

Yeah, there are a lot of considerations if you absolutely want to make the "optimal team," such as not putting people in jobs that will give them a License they already have; but that's pretty unnecessary.

Edit:

Twelve by Pies posted:

So running back and forth on a staircase in Barrier Tower is getting old, is there any place where I'm desperately going to need 3-4 Reflect Rings with just Freelancers, or are they not really necessary for a long while and I can skip out until there's an easier way (if there is an easier way)?

Usually people use them for the Crystals or Ex-Death in his castle, and at least one if you plan to do the Fork Tower. If you can plan for those, you're probably OK.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Schwartzcough posted:

Usually people use them for the Crystals

I'd want Flame Rings there, myself, to leech off of the Fire Crystal's Fire 3 spam for healing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Schwartzcough posted:

Usually people use them for the Crystals or Ex-Death in his castle, and at least one if you plan to do the Fork Tower. If you can plan for those, you're probably OK.

I already have one, but I was thinking maybe I should get three. An hour of running back and forth with no more rings is starting to take its toll on my patience though...and my supplies, I only have four Phoenix Downs and I'm willing to bet I'll need at least that many for Atomos, especially since I can't leave to buy more.

Kyrosiris posted:

I'd want Flame Rings there, myself, to leech off of the Fire Crystal's Fire 3 spam for healing.

There isn't anywhere to buy those in world 2 is there? I didn't manage to get any when I was in world one. In retrospect this was probably a bad idea.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

The GIG posted:

A lot of people are looking forward to A Realm Reborn. It now actually looks and plays pretty great.

Maybe it will be a great game and all but I would rather they stick to what it is that made them so great, which is developing traditional single-player RPGs. If/when I want to play an MMORPG, I'll boot up WoW or something. Final Fantasy, to me, is all about the quests, insane storylines, quirky characters and single player experience.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Asking people to pay $15 a month (or whatever) in 2013 is already not the greatest idea. Even WOW lets you play up to a certain point entirely free. On top of that I really don't want to bother with another Eastern MMO.

The problem with asian F2P games is that they make the game incredibly grindy so they can sell you XP boosts. The problem with asian Subscription games is that they make the game incredibly grindy so you don't ever finish the content and unsubscribe.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Asking people to pay $15 a month (or whatever) in 2013 is already not the greatest idea. Even WOW lets you play up to a certain point entirely free. On top of that I really don't want to bother with another Eastern MMO.

The problem with asian F2P games is that they make the game incredibly grindy so they can sell you XP boosts. The problem with asian Subscription games is that they make the game incredibly grindy so you don't ever finish the content and unsubscribe.

FF14 is not grindy at all in its current state, or even towards the end of 1.0. At launch it was a terrible, terrible grind, but since then combat was fixed, xp gains were fixed, xp requirements were lowered, and partying was fixed. And with goon assistance many people were able to get level 40-50 just following me or someone else around while farming relic quest components and get the last leg of leveling done in an afternoon. There are plenty of valid complaints to be made about 14, but the grind hasn't been on that list for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Don't countries like Korea do an hourly subscription as well, which causes the excessive grind to further benefit them? I remember when Aion launched here the login queues were bad and so people just setup AFK shops while they worked/slept since it wouldn't AFK-boot them then and which made the login queues that much more terrible.

I wanted to try FF14's reboot until I found out that the Magitek Armor shown in a video was an enemy and that you can't use the suits. Don't toy with my heart, Square. :cry: