Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Most metal bands use laughably high amounts of gain live and everything sounds like poo poo no matter how good the sound guy is.

Metal guitarists are the loving worst. I realize tube amps sound better cranked up but two guitarists essentially having a loudness war rarely results in a good sound at most venues. This is why I prefer seeing bands with just one guitar player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Most metal bands use laughably high amounts of gain live and everything sounds like poo poo no matter how good the sound guy is.
The sound guy's usually doing a great job and the "laughably high amounts of gain" is mostly distortion caused by your eardrums bouncing around your skull at a high enough velocity that you can no longer discern the tones.

I know metal tends to attract this "real metalheads don't need earplugs" complex, but seriously, the music sounds like poo poo without.

m-o-o-n posted:

Metal guitarists are the loving worst. I realize tube amps sound better cranked up but two guitarists essentially having a loudness war rarely results in a good sound at most venues. This is why I prefer seeing bands with just one guitar player.
Yeah, this is definitely a big part of it too. It's one thing if the guitars are playing vastly different parts in the first place, but the ridiculously amplified unisons of many bands just cause more problems with phase and off timing than they add to the sound.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 3, 2013

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

m-o-o-n posted:

Skeletonwitch has a system where they stack the amps differently on each side of the stage so that their sound doesn't muddy and they can make sure they don't get (too) painfully loud. They are also an excellent live band.

Dying Fetus is great live, but they only have one guitarist, so it's a simple explanation. Well, that and the musicianship of everyone in the room goes up exponentially whenever Fetus just walks in the loving room.

The Faceless also puts a lot of effort into their live performance. Definitely go see them if you like tech death.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Live sound varies tremendously. In Flames usually pull of a good live sound but last time I saw them you could barely hear what song they were playing when one year earlier they played the same venue and the sound was great. Set list wasn't that time either though!

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Measly Twerp posted:

Amaranthe - The Nexus
Ahhhg, too many vocalists in this power metal band. For some reason I'm liking it, what the gently caress, nope I hate it. poo poo, this music is schizophrenic, half good half cheese.

I like this song and it confuses the hell out of me. I really dislike metalcore, have little to no interest in power metal or pop music, but this song... Why do I like this song?

Is this what having a guilty pleasure feels like?

[ Post Redeeming Content Here ]

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Rion.exe posted:

I like this song and it confuses the hell out of me. I really dislike metalcore, have little to no interest in power metal or pop music, but this song... Why do I like this song?

Is this what having a guilty pleasure feels like?

[ Post Redeeming Content Here ]

Hah. Just listen to it a few times until it wears off.

Nordick posted:

1) This is awesome and I will have to grab this album. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Yeah, I'll be grabbing it myself, it sounds pretty drat good.

Nordick posted:

3) Finntroll are legit awesome and have put out a drat heap of good albums. Was wondering where the hell you got the Rammstein comparison though, but listening to this specific song I guess I can kinda understand it, what with these chuggy parts and all. Overall though, I really wouldn't compare them to Rammstein at all. Anyways, they can get pretty crazy with all the folky bits and other fun shenanigans. Case in point.

It really reminded me of Te Quiero Puta, due to the horns and folk interlude I think. The video itself is also as weird as Rammstein tends to be.

Nordick posted:

4) Gamma Ray's Somewhere Out in Space from 1997 was the first ever original metal CD that I bought myself, and they've been one of my favourites ever since. And it took me some time to realize it, but Kai Hansen is one awesome power metal vocalist. He might not be a technical virtuoso, but gently caress that; dude can pull off some edgy wails. Also, singing low he kinda sounds like a chipmunk Johnny Cash which is awesome.

I've always had this idea that Gamma Ray was terrible, I think that's probably just because I can't stand any power metal since Number of the Beast. So this was a big surprise for me.

As for not knowing Rotting Christ; it's true, I know their name and that's about it. I'm too young to have grown up with a lot of this music, so I tend to find things backwards by finding new works then discovering the old.

So, should I do April? And does anyone want to write the power metal/symphonic metal cheese descriptions?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Martout posted:

Live sound varies tremendously. In Flames usually pull of a good live sound but last time I saw them you could barely hear what song they were playing when one year earlier they played the same venue and the sound was great. Set list wasn't that time either though!
They've always been iffy with it. Even The Tokyo Showdown had an embarrassingly bad guitar tone.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Measly Twerp posted:

I've always had this idea that Gamma Ray was terrible, I think that's probably just because I can't stand any power metal since Number of the Beast. So this was a big surprise for me.

That's probably because you haven't heard their song "Headed for tomorrow". It's their Bohemian Rhapsody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaBRxcbUBQA
Ignore the video part, I have no idea what that is from or what the gently caress. Just listen to the music.

Here it is live. Longer, but definitely worth watching / listening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2NqkZM0wHw

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

That's probably because you haven't heard their song "Headed for tomorrow". It's their Bohemian Rhapsody.
I would've thought that title would go to Rebellion in Dreamland.

It's worth mentioning though, that those Heading for Tomorrow videos have Ralf Scheepers as the lead vocalist, and he's somewhat more of a cookie cutter europower guy than Kai Hansen. I am not a fan of him at all.

Furthermore, that weird video is from an old Finnish series of comedy movies, Pekka ja Pätkä (Pete and Shorty would be a rough translation), a bit like a Finnish equivalent of Laurel & Hardy. What they are supposed to have to do with Gamma Ray is way beyond me.

EDIT: I tried to find the acoustic studio version they made of Rebellion in Dreamland a couple years back, but that's apparently been taken off of Youtube. However, I came across this: http://youtu.be/n9HKsvHgs8Q
And god drat if that didn't just irresistibly put me in a good mood. Those guys are just having so much fun and Kai really comes across as the nicest, most mellow guy you could imagine.

EDIT2: \/\/ The things you learn every day, right? :v:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 4, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nordick posted:

Furthermore, that weird video is from an old Finnish series of comedy movies, Pekka ja Pätkä (Pete and Shorty would be a rough translation), a bit like a Finnish equivalent of Laurel & Hardy. What they are supposed to have to do with Gamma Ray is way beyond me.
This thread is amazing :3:

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Going to Baroness on friday cause I need to get out. Coliseum is opening, anyone know about them?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Their new album is pretty good. Kind of metallish punk sort of like Kvelertak.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nordick posted:

I would've thought that title would go to Rebellion in Dreamland.

Actually this is probably more accurate

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Not Very Metal posted:

Going to Baroness on friday cause I need to get out. Coliseum is opening, anyone know about them?

I saw them open for Boris about two years back and thought they put on a good, solid show. I didn't know anything about them though so I can't really say more than that.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Not Very Metal posted:

If they're the Coliseum I'm thinking of they're a solid band but not hugely memorable.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Not Very Metal posted:

Coliseum is great. They're doing some more rock & roll oriented stuff these days. No Salvation is a good, somewhat old, album that you should check out. They don't play music like that anymore though.

Nordick posted:

It's worth mentioning though, that those Heading for Tomorrow videos have Ralf Scheepers as the lead vocalist, and he's somewhat more of a cookie cutter europower guy than Kai Hansen. I am not a fan of him at all.

Primal Fear rules though?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Primal Fear rules though?
Eh, they're not bad I guess. Just wholly unexciting. Kind like Scheepers's vocals.
I mean I don't mind basic heavy metal like that, I just don't think Primal Fear do it particularly well.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Primal Fear is decent enough for what is basically a Judas Priest tribute band.

The best german speed/power metal band (outside of SDI) is Iron Savior though.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So the new Torture Division "demo" was released today. Those who do not know them, they are a Swedish three piece death metal act featuring Lord K Philipson (guitar), Tobben Gustafsson (drums), and Jörgen Sandström (bass/vocals). Together, they include memberships to such bands as Grave, Entombed, Vicious Art, The Project Hate MCMXCIX, Vomitory, and God Among Insects. It was mixed and mastered by Dan Swanö, and is now available for download (along with a booklet) from his Unisound web site. Check it out. Oh yeah, it's FREE!!!

https://www.torturedivision.net

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Wintersun North American headlining tour announced today. http://www.wintersun.fi/2013/06/04/north-american-headlining-tour-announced/

WINTERSUN
FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE
ARSIS
STARKILL

06.08.2013 US Silver Spring, MD – The Fillmore
07.08.2013 US Philadelphia, PA – Theater of Living Arts
08.08.2013 US New York, NY – Irving Plaza
09.08.2013 US Boston, MA – The Sinclair
10.08.2013 CA Montreal, QC – HEAVY MTL*
11.08.2013 CA Toronto, ON – The Opera House
13.08.2013 US Cincinnati, OH – Bogart’s
14.08.2013 US Cleveland, OH – House of Blues
15.08.2013 US Chicago, IL – House of Blues
16.08.2013 US Detroit, MI – St. Andrew’s Hall
17.08.2013 US St. Paul, MN – Station 4
18.08.2013 CA Winnipeg, MB – Park Theatre
19.08.2013 CA Regina, SK – Riddell Center @ UoR
20.08.2013 CA Edmonton, AB – The Starlite Room
21.08.2013 CA Vancouver, BC – Rickshaw Theater
23.08.2013 US Seattle, WA – Studio Seven
24.08.2013 US Portland, OR – Hawthorne Theater
25.08.2013 US San Francisco, CA – DNA Lounge
26.08.2013 US West Hollywood, CA – House of Blues
27.08.2013 US Anaheim, CA – House of Blues
28.08.2013 US San Diego, CA – House of Blues
29.08.2013 US Tempe, AZ – Joe’s Grotto
31.08.2013 US Dallas, TX – House of Blues
01.09.2013 US Houston, TX – House of Blues
03.09.2013 US Fort Lauderdale, FL – Revolution
04.09.2013 US Orlando, FL – House of Blues
05.09.2013 US Atlanta, GA – The Masquerade
06.09.2013 US Charlotte, NC – The Fillmore
*Wintersun only

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I can't stop listening to Be'lakor. I can listen to Of breath and bone and Stones Reach consecutively all day.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I can't stop listening to Be'lakor. I can listen to Of breath and bone and Stones Reach consecutively all day.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Hey has anyone heard Of Breath and Bone and Stones Reach by Be'lakor? I hear they're good.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

TeamJesus posted:

Hey has anyone heard Of Breath and Bone and Stones Reach by Be'lakor? I hear they're good.

You should ask Protons, I saw him post about them a few times.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

Wintersun North American headlining tour announced today. http://www.wintersun.fi/2013/06/04/north-american-headlining-tour-announced/

WINTERSUN
FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE
ARSIS
STARKILL

06.08.2013 US Silver Spring, MD – The Fillmore
07.08.2013 US Philadelphia, PA – Theater of Living Arts
08.08.2013 US New York, NY – Irving Plaza
09.08.2013 US Boston, MA – The Sinclair
10.08.2013 CA Montreal, QC – HEAVY MTL*
11.08.2013 CA Toronto, ON – The Opera House
13.08.2013 US Cincinnati, OH – Bogart’s
14.08.2013 US Cleveland, OH – House of Blues
15.08.2013 US Chicago, IL – House of Blues
16.08.2013 US Detroit, MI – St. Andrew’s Hall
17.08.2013 US St. Paul, MN – Station 4
18.08.2013 CA Winnipeg, MB – Park Theatre
19.08.2013 CA Regina, SK – Riddell Center @ UoR
20.08.2013 CA Edmonton, AB – The Starlite Room
21.08.2013 CA Vancouver, BC – Rickshaw Theater
23.08.2013 US Seattle, WA – Studio Seven
24.08.2013 US Portland, OR – Hawthorne Theater
25.08.2013 US San Francisco, CA – DNA Lounge
26.08.2013 US West Hollywood, CA – House of Blues
27.08.2013 US Anaheim, CA – House of Blues
28.08.2013 US San Diego, CA – House of Blues
29.08.2013 US Tempe, AZ – Joe’s Grotto
31.08.2013 US Dallas, TX – House of Blues
01.09.2013 US Houston, TX – House of Blues
03.09.2013 US Fort Lauderdale, FL – Revolution
04.09.2013 US Orlando, FL – House of Blues
05.09.2013 US Atlanta, GA – The Masquerade
06.09.2013 US Charlotte, NC – The Fillmore
*Wintersun only
Don't know anything about Starkill but the rest of this tour sounds fun. Definitely gonna try and make the Cleveland date, although it's unlikely I'll be able to.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

No idea about the triple post. Sorry about that.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Cool, thanks. I'll check out that album and then completely forget about it for the show.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Protons posted:

They also have a third album that you'll likely enjoy just as much as those two. I fuckin love Of Breath and Bone.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Don't know anything about Starkill but the rest of this tour sounds fun. Definitely gonna try and make the Cleveland date, although it's unlikely I'll be able to.

They got posted a while back in this thread. Basically a bunch of Midwestern nerd teens trying to rock out, sometimes succeeding. So like Slipknot but partially successful artistically.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Wintersun is playing on my birthday so I guess I know what I'm doing now.

Pitpit
Apr 12, 2010

Now it's my turn to be angry.
gently caress yes, more Wintersun. They were incredible last time they came.

gently caress yes.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Defiant Sally posted:

They also have a third album that you'll likely enjoy just as much as those two. I fuckin love Of Breath and Bone.

Yeah I keep all of Be'lakor on my phone because I can always listen to all three in a row at anytime.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima posted:

They got posted a while back in this thread. Basically a bunch of Midwestern nerd teens trying to rock out, sometimes succeeding. So like Slipknot but partially successful artistically.

Yes, like Slipknot :airquote:

Birthdayboy posted:

Starkill, are a bunch of teenagers from the midwest. Despite that handicap, and their terrible name, they put out a sound reminiscent of Norther, CoB, and Wintersun, mixed with a little bit of power-metal. Again though, they do it so well that it really doesn't matter. I have a hard time watching their videos though, they're just too goddamn adorable for metal.

Starkill- Metal Moppets of Metal/Fires of Life

I'm all for the defiance of genre that keeps metal new and interesting, but there's a lot to be said for fitting snugly into an existing genre and rocking the gently caress out of it. If, after a few albums, these bands still haven't changed things up, I may be disappointed. For now though, I am pretty drat satisfied.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Protons posted:

They were shithouse when I saw them support At The Gates. Technical difficulties, boring as hell on stage and they couldn't pull off their material.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Measly Twerp posted:

I meant in terms of origin story, not genre. Slipknot's first demo was based on/named after Werewolf the Apocalypse, so check for having unforgivable uncool dorkiness in common. "Metal something of metal" sure is a song title born on reddit and memebase. At least Slipknot dodged that idiotic bullet by getting started in the 90's. :downsgun:

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 5, 2013

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Measly Twerp posted:

I like what I hear, but why are they going to Dunkin Donuts and wearing nail polish in the video?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

I like what I hear, but why are they going to Dunkin Donuts and wearing nail polish in the video?
I'd like to think that Dunkin Donuts is a reference to a famous incident between Dimebag Darrell and Yngwie Malmsteen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZAiKSQL99Y
(fast forward to 0:55)

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Less than three months til new Gorguts, finally.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=190817

blabbermouth posted:

Canadian technical death metallers GORGUTS will release their fifth album, "Colored Sands", on August 30 in Europe and September 3 in North America via Season Of Mist. The band has also announced a string of headlining shows leading to and from this year's Hopscotch Festival. the U.S. trek, which begins on September 5 in Springfield, Virginia, will travel through Hopscotch before ending on September 8 in Worcester, Massachusetts.

GORGUTS guitarist/vocalist Luc Lemay previously stated that "Colored Sands" would be "a very detailed, dark, epic, emotional, conceptual record."

War On Music Records in 2011 released on vinyl the GORGUTS albums "From Wisdom To Hate" (2001) and "Obscura" (1998). These records were largely regarded as pioneering works in the technical death metal genre, and set the standard for the decade to follow.

GORGUTS' current lineup is as follows:

* Luc Lemay (NEGATIVA) - Vocals, Guitar
* Kevin Hufnagel (DYSRHYTHMIA, WHILE HEAVEN WEPT, BYLA, EUCLID STREET, THE FIFTH SEASON, GREY DIVISION BLUE) - Guitar
* Colin Marston (DYSRHYTHMIA, BEHOLD... THE ARCTOPUS, BYLA, KRALLICE, INDRICOTHERE) - Bass
* John Longstreth (DIM MAK, ORIGIN, THE RED CHORD, SKINLESS, POSSESSION, ANGELCORPSE) – Drums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Gorguts with John Longstreth on drums? Yes please.

Also I hope they go with War On Music for the vinyl release again. Love those guys.