Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

The Walking Dad posted:

His scientific, political and social works are published in Volume III, compiled and reproduced by Edgar Cerqueira Falcão with the title Obras científicas, politicas e sociais de José Bonifácio de Andrada e Silva. Its third edition came out in 1963 to celebrate the bicentennial of the Patriarch of the Independence. (Wikipedia)

Can you provide more context? Pretty much anything that is a 3rd volume was written by somebody. Why does this somebody matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Okay so you have a giant statue in Bryant Park which is right next to the New York Public Library. The statue has an inscription that talks of an Indies native (sometimes Brazil is included in the west indies). There is a three volume work about his life that was completed 20 years before the urns were buried.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Walking Dad posted:

His scientific, political and social works are published in Volume III, compiled and reproduced by Edgar Cerqueira Falcão with the title Obras científicas, politicas e sociais de José Bonifácio de Andrada e Silva. Its third edition came out in 1963 to celebrate the bicentennial of the Patriarch of the Independence. (Wikipedia)

So he's in volume three of a book and its a statue that was in Bryant park, but other was is completely irrelevant?

What?

Edit: that sounds like a super stretch.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Kingnothing posted:

So he's in volume three of a book and its a statue that was in Bryant park, but other was is completely irrelevant?

What?

Edit: that sounds like a super stretch.

Eh that's a grammar issue on wikipedia's end. His entire biography came out in 3 volumes. It's not completely irrelevant, because all the other clues point to the NYC public library and Bryant Park

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The Walking Dad posted:

Okay so you have a giant statue in Bryant Park which is right next to the New York Public Library. The statue has an inscription that talks of an Indies native (sometimes Brazil is included in the west indies). There is a three volume work about his life that was completed 20 years before the urns were buried.

A handful of things fit, I'll admit, but I'm still not convinced. I'm actually still not even convinced about the Library's association here, since only the arch ratios really resemble it. The cloaked woman statues on the building are really ambiguous.

Chaste Watt Om
Apr 4, 2003

Tjadeth posted:

Cask 6 - Tentatively, September: sapphire, aster, ninth month. Doesn't look like a sapphire, but maybe the colors are hosed.

St. Augustine was founded in September. And, The Star of Bombay looks EXACTLY like the sapphire in the painting.

Edit: Star Sapphires. Fancy.

Chaste Watt Om fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 4, 2013

Terex
Jan 2, 2013
NYC

Does anyone else see a 15 left of where the wave is crashing (still in the tube)? The black dot/smudge is right above the five.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Terex posted:

NYC

Does anyone else see a 15 left of where the wave is crashing (still in the tube)? The black dot/smudge is right above the five.

I can see it, yeah, but its probably just waves.

Edit: on second thought, there is a repeating pattern in the waves. It looks like the 15 you are talking about is repeated twice.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 4, 2013

Terex
Jan 2, 2013

The Walking Dad posted:

I can see it, yeah, but its probably just waves.

Edit: on second thought, there is a repeating pattern in the waves. It looks like the 15 you are talking about is repeated twice.

I see that too now. The negative space is the larger one kind of looks like a face to me. Also look how the wave is breaking. The waves edge goes almost vertical before flattening out again and then going vertical again. This wouldn't happen in a natural wave.

Come to think of it, the wave looks almost like The Great Wave off Kanagawa. Could it be Japanese themed?

Plaid Jacket
Nov 3, 2011

I'll give you five hundred bucks for that busket.

Plaid Jacket fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 11, 2023

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Bloke posted:

Talking of digging stuff up, the deceased author's widow Sandi Mendelson is on twitter. She might have his notes..

Don't do this. Also, don't bother talking to Palencar, the illustrator. On those tweleve forums linked earlier in the thread (or whichever ones they were that were open to us), people discussed this. When Preiss died his wife said that she didn't want to be contacted any further about the treasure hunt, and Palencar a) didn't know much about the locations to begin with because he mostly worked from polaroids that BP snapped, b) was only truly familiar with the location of two of them because he helped as lookout (one of which is the solved Cleveland cask), and c) he said that he would consider it a breach of his contract to give out any information on the hunt, and won't be divulging any of it.

It seems we're on our own in this.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Plaid Jacket posted:

I'm working on a big spreadsheet with a few locations I've been thinking about and some other suggestions I've read.

Share it on a Google Doc!

The best suggestions so far IMO have been the Verazzano over Fort Hamilton (Hamilton being an indies native, helicopters being around there making a whirring sound, the Verazzano being an arm that strethces over a slender path -- the narrows), the library thing (the arches, proximity to the optometry school?), and someplace near Prospect Park (Indies parade, Indies natives, etc.)

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
NYC

I'm probably reaching but it's the only park I could find with a blocky top section that reasonably fits the image. Just posting in-case there's anything there that might fit the other clues. Also it's surrounded by water and the negative space in the clue is surrounded by blue.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 4, 2013

StinkyMeat
May 25, 2003

M-m-m-my bologna.

Holy Calamity! posted:

NYC

I'm probably reaching but it's the only park I could find with a blocky top section that reasonably fits the image. Just posting in-case there's anything there that might fit the other clues. Also it's surrounded by water and the negative space in in the clue is surrounded by blue.

I want to address how I think that dot is not important, and a printing artifact. It's found all over the images:

I don't want to be so negative, I just want to be sure we aren't being led astray.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Boston

Two questions. First, any thoughts on the bird in the picture? Second, there is a distinct 'M' on the left sleeve and a '7' on the right. No one has mentioned these yet. Is that because those symbols are part of what identifies the picture as belonging to Boston (like the longitude/latitude hints in other images)?

NYC

This may not fit the order of lines in the poem, but there is a sculpture of Beethoven in Central Park. It used to be or still is associated with a bandstand that was a place popular with German-Americans (so there is an immigration connection). Beethoven also suffered from ringing in his ears which progressed to deafness ('whirring sound' ?). There is a nearly identical sculpture in Prospect Park in Brooklyn (which also features a lake with an island). The main difference between the two sculptures is that the one in Central Park has a woman's figure holding a lyre in front of it. The figure looks similar to the one in the NYC treasure map.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Nesetril posted:

Boston

Two questions. First, any thoughts on the bird in the picture? Second, there is a distinct 'M' on the left sleeve and a '7' on the right. No one has mentioned these yet. Is that because those symbols are part of what identifies the picture as belonging to Boston (like the longitude/latitude hints in other images)?

I saw the '7' awhile ago and I told myself that it was followed by a '1' represented by the right border...that makes 42/71 and then I felt better about this whole thing. I didn't notice the 'M' though, nice catch. M....enino? :downs:

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
Cask 9

quote:

At some point prior to this he secretly traveled around the united states, to 12 locations, and at each location he visited he buried a casket of sorts.

Can anyone confirm this is stated explicitly like this? Because that would pretty much kill Montreal and other then 38 I cannot find any other number in that picture. Even if the statue is a perfect match, it probably isn't Montreal.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
I thought Canada was a state :confused:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Walking Dad posted:

Eh that's a grammar issue on wikipedia's end. His entire biography came out in 3 volumes. It's not completely irrelevant, because all the other clues point to the NYC public library and Bryant Park
I think I'm the only person who's come right out and said that I don't think it's necessarily New York, but I have to admit that my immediate reaction after seeing the picture and verse for the first time was "It's in Bryant Park." I'm not sure why I thought that, but it was my first impression.

I stand by my statements that the bird is not a Chrysler building gargoyle and the gown only vaguely resembles Manhattan (as opposed to exact and near-exact outlines in the solved ones.) I'll concede on the Statue of Liberty one because I'm really bad at recognizing faces, even though I only see a superficial resemblance.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Boston

Well, the seven could be the Seven Sisters (mountains and women's colleges). Four of the colleges are in MA (two in NY... could be a connection there) and Radcliffe College is next to Longfellow Park, which was already suggested as the final destination.

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness
Cask 9

I wonder if Cask 9 matches up with verse 7 and is in Colorado. The flower looks like a Denver Daisy, and the Rockies are certainly a stone wall.

I have no further evidence to back that up.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

StinkyMeat posted:

I want to address how I think that dot is not important, and a printing artifact. It's found all over the images:

I don't want to be so negative, I just want to be sure we aren't being led astray.

Thanks, I missed that. It still might be a negative space clue with the hand pointing at the negative-space shape but my guess was hardly definitive.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Imazul posted:

Cask 9

Can anyone confirm this is stated explicitly like this? Because that would pretty much kill Montreal and other then 38 I cannot find any other number in that picture. Even if the statue is a perfect match, it probably isn't Montreal.

Before he died the author responded to an email about this and in no uncertain terms said that there is one treasure buried in Canada.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

I'll concede on the Statue of Liberty one because I'm really bad at recognizing faces, even though I only see a superficial resemblance.

I'm close to 100% sure that that face is indeed the statue of liberty. The chrysler building gargoyle is obviously half accurate and half inaccurate but I feel like the face of the gargoyle is close enough that it's the best guess at the moment.

Plaid Jacket posted:

NYC

Think I might have have a lead on the "bubbles" in the Picture 12. Heins & Lafarge did several of the mosaics in the subway. They also did a piece at Trinity church in Boston:

Look familiar?

Anyway, it turns out Christopher Lafarge's father John Lafarge also did mosaics and is also interred at Green-Wood cemetery. Green-Wood is near Prospect Park as well. I definitely think there's a connection between their work specifically and the picture, be it a subway mosaic or a stained glass window. I'm working on a big spreadsheet with a few locations I've been thinking about and some other suggestions I've read.

I thought stained glass too when I first saw that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

I think I'm the only person who's come right out and said that I don't think it's necessarily New York, but I have to admit that my immediate reaction after seeing the picture and verse for the first time was "It's in Bryant Park." I'm not sure why I thought that, but it was my first impression.

I stand by my statements that the bird is not a Chrysler building gargoyle and the gown only vaguely resembles Manhattan (as opposed to exact and near-exact outlines in the solved ones.) I'll concede on the Statue of Liberty one because I'm really bad at recognizing faces, even though I only see a superficial resemblance.

If he buried it in Bryant park, it's long gone then. They closed it in 1988 and excavated it for an underground archives facility for the library, then rebuilt the park on top of it several feet lower than it had been before. It now looks nothing like it did in 1982.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Boston

Strangely, the bird appears to be a Mississippi Kite.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
San Francisco

Well, I couldn't let the idea go of it being somewhere at the Legion of Honor so I did a little more digging. It turns out the Legion of Honor was founded by Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon's first wife went by the name 'Rose', however he didn't like that name so he had her change it to "Joséphine". Note in the picture the rose with the "J" shaped stem. So maybe, there is a double meaning there "Rose = June Flower" : "Rose = Joséphine"

Also, look at the plate the watch is sitting on, then look at this picture: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/12/b9/3d/fountain-and-sculpture.jpg

That is the fountain in front of the LoH. Looks pretty dang similar. The watch is sitting in the middle of the plate, and the hour/minute hand could be the fountain spray. If you look for LoH fountain pics there are some that look even closer to a match and google maps view looks strikingly similar. That one also has that art in the background, could that be this verse "Between two arms extended"?

No matter what this is really fun and I'm learning a TON of stuff.

Essential fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 4, 2013

StinkyMeat
May 25, 2003

M-m-m-my bologna.

Plaid Jacket posted:

NYC

Think I might have have a lead on the "bubbles" in the Picture 12. Heins & Lafarge did several of the mosaics in the subway. They also did a piece at Trinity church in Boston:

Look familiar?

Anyway, it turns out Christopher Lafarge's father John Lafarge also did mosaics and is also interred at Green-Wood cemetery. Green-Wood is near Prospect Park as well. I definitely think there's a connection between their work specifically and the picture, be it a subway mosaic or a stained glass window. I'm working on a big spreadsheet with a few locations I've been thinking about and some other suggestions I've read.

Neat! This window by LaFarge is from the church of St. Paul the Apostle in Manhattan:

Not sure if it means anything, but like Essential said, it's fun to learn.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

SheepNameKiller posted:

I'm close to 100% sure that that face is indeed the statue of liberty. The chrysler building gargoyle is obviously half accurate and half inaccurate but I feel like the face of the gargoyle is close enough that it's the best guess at the moment.
The shadow of the nose seems like a pretty clear reference now that it's pointed out. Let's make sure we don't jump to conclusions with the gown, though, since we have things like the obvious outline of Ohio. The bird definitely has an art deco eagle's head similar to the Chrysler Building, but as people have mentioned, the rest isn't an eagle. I really think it's worth reexamining those two things and seeing if we can find a better match rather than assuming they're clear references. Maybe it's more abstract and this is one of the harder ones, but don't discount the possibility that the picture isn't NYC or isn't what we think it is in NYC, and look at all of the verses and see if we can find a better match based on that. You could probably spend a lifetime exploring the city and only know a small part of what there is to know about it.

Deteriorata posted:

If he buried it in Bryant park, it's long gone then. They closed it in 1988 and excavated it for an underground archives facility for the library, then rebuilt the park on top of it several feet lower than it had been before. It now looks nothing like it did in 1982.
I really hope it's just a starting point if that's where it was. It was a hunch I can't really justify. I'm not a New Yorker, and my perception is colored by the fact that Bryant Park is usually the first and frequently the only park I see when I walk from Grand Central to wherever I'm going.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
On the North side of Bryant Park is an entrance to the B line Subway. Technically the subway would be an aisle, not an Isle.

William Cullen Bryant was a Romantic Poet. Pretty much the spitting image of a Rhapsodic Man, and the park would be his soil.

Plaid Jacket
Nov 3, 2011

I'll give you five hundred bucks for that busket.

Plaid Jacket fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 11, 2023

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
This is really exciting, I hope a bunch of goons don't get in trouble for digging up local parks.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Duo TCR posted:

Back in 1981, there were 4 Paper Birch trees in the northwest corner of Red Arrow Park, at Water and State Streets.
At least according to this.

Same article points out a sugar maple in the SE part of Cathedral Square where the trunk splits into a V-shape about 5ft off the ground. Tall proud fifth, Roman numeral style?

Edit: Also two horsechestnut trees immediately behind the statue of the Immigrant Mother, someone pointed out earlier that they thought the flower in the illustration was a horsechestnut flower.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 4, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
im sure this has been mentioned but somebody needs to run off this for cask 9.

the dude's neck is st.joseph's oratory. to shape and form. in mont royal park, which has three statues at its base.

the numbers are most likely the paces to take from the stairs. what are the numbers hidden in the picture?

also, st.josephs is known for devotees stopping and praying on their knees at each step. fifteen hail mary's to one our father (yay catholic alterboy upbringing! )

so mtl goons, thoughts?

two edits: upside down neck= go south from the oratory
2) how many stairs are there to get to the basilica?

stab fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 4, 2013

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

StinkyMeat posted:

Neat! This window by LaFarge is from the church of St. Paul the Apostle in Manhattan:

Not sure if it means anything, but like Essential said, it's fun to learn.

Looks really similar. Guess what it's right next to?

The met opera!

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Plaid Jacket posted:

I wonder if The church's location next to a Fordham campus has anything to do with the color of the left most bubbly pane. The Fordham colors are pretty similar.

Fordham is maroon and white. I'm not sure any of those bubbles are maroon but even if they were I don't think they'd mix them all in together

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
Cask 10 - Milwaukee

Some thoughts

"To the first young birch
Pass three, staying west
You'll see a letter from the country
Of wonderstone's hearth
On a proud, tall fifth
At its southern foot
The treasure waits. "

The first young birch - could be an actual birch

Pass three - could be 3 birches or perhaps a flowering (like the flower in the picture) tree.

A letter from the country of wonderstones hearth, wonderstone = cement, first made(hearth) = Egypt

On a proud tall fifth = the fifth tree has what is or appears to be a hieroglyphic letter carved in it?

At the foot of the tree is the cask!

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Plaid Jacket posted:

NYC

Look familiar?

Welp, that guy also made stained glass here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Transfiguration,_Episcopal_(Manhattan)

including one image of (gasp) Edwin Booth as Hamlet

That greco-roman roof resembles the gap in the Liberty lady's right-arm, as does the roof of the NYPL to be honest. Maybe there are more stained glass windows in that area?

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 4, 2013

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
NYC

I've been thinking about the NYC image, and how the robes could still be Manhattan.

The NYC Subway maps are not drawn to scale. They exaggerate and rotate Manhattan to fit in all the lines. I'm trying to look for 1970s or 1980s map. I think most New Yorkers know the shape of the island from the Subway map not a geographically accurate map.

I'm using this site to see if there's a Subway map that matches the Statue's dress better:

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Historical_Maps

It seems to me that Google Maps is a very accurate map to use, but I feel like the author would of used the information available at the time, and Subway maps are everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
BOSTON

There's for sure a face under the bird perch on the left side.