Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Bea Nanner posted:

I've also scouted Amazon for the cheapest pokey thing

and come up with a tree watering aide for $23, but I think we can do better.

something like

Needs to be easy to poke things in the ground, discreet as to not draw too much attention, and not so pointed that I will impale myself carrying it on a bike, and CHEAP. (And ideally on Amazon prime.)

Hardware or hobby store, pick up an appropriately diametered metal rod (I think they're occasionally called "piano wire" though I have no idea why), wrap one end in duct tape. That fulfills all your criteria except the amazon thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Kingnothing posted:

Cask 12: NYC

Here's a thought that I'm currently looking into. What if those colors areas on the top represent mosaics somewhere in the city? The city (especially the subway stations) are filled with them.

I've yet to come across one that looks right, but I'm still looking.

It occurs to me that the top left mosiac is rusty-iron coloured, while the blue-green one is corroded copper. If Deus Ex taught me anything it's that the Statue of Liberty is made from iron and copper. So another reference to the statue?

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

StinkyMeat posted:

I thought the same thing today, and came to realize that most of the subway mosaics are with square tiles and done in a very structured pattern, as opposed to these mess of circles. Seems too big a difference if they are meant to represent them.

Some of the IND line trains have a small circle-looking pattern in their tiles.

E.g. the A train and the G train (look inside the square tiles)

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Kingnothing posted:

Here's a thought that I'm currently looking into. What if those colors areas on the top represent mosaics somewhere in the city? The city (especially the subway stations) are filled with them.

That seems right to me, but I don't think they're subway mosaics.

Crashbee posted:

It occurs to me that the top left mosiac is rusty-iron coloured, while the blue-green one is corroded copper. If Deus Ex taught me anything it's that the Statue of Liberty is made from iron and copper. So another reference to the statue?

I don't know that you need another reference to the statue here either since there's a pretty blatant one already.

There's probably a clue in the very shape of the image as well, it looks like a doorway.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 3, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
N.O.

Mad Mafioso posted:

This is a badly translated section of the book.

It mentions New Orleans, Saint Charles, Saint Peter, and of course the line from the poem. It looks like this is definitely connected to the NO cask. Or maybe not.

It's possible, but the rest of the verse doesn't seem to make sense to be in N.O. The only thing I can think of 21 across and 15 down would be a mausoleum or cemetery... But the problem with that is there are several in N.O. to pick from.

I've also outlined most of the stuff we've guessed on the high-res picture. If anyone wants high-res of the rest of the pictures, let me know.

Join Us!
Mar 16, 2008

Why not?
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I would like to say a few things about the drawing and the last few sentences of the accompanying riddle. The flower itself has 5 petals. As a 5 petal flower, it is most likely in the Rose family. Based on the drawing, the most likely candidates are the apple blossom or the wild rose.

Apple Blossom:

Wild Rose:

These flowers, especially the Apple Blossom, are common in the Wisconsin area. I live in Chicago and they are all over the place, likely also at this park. Additionally, the poem itself is strongly tied to trees. It mentions approaching a birch tree and then passing three. Words such as proud and tall lend them to the idea of trees as well. Perhaps like in the OP this is related to a road? Or perhaps it's physically talking about a tree.

Now beyond that (I think this is stretching it), stating fifth made me think back to the number of petals on the flower. In the OP, the .pdf attached said fifth may have related back to the "Country" of the drawing. Is proposed the word "Deutschland" as the drawing was considered the germanic drawing. Well, maybe the country is the english version "Germany," of which the fifth letter is "a" which may stand for "Apple Blossom." Who knows. It's just as far fetched as the other suggestion. All I know is the drawing likes trees, the riddle likes trees, and I like trees. Coincidentally, I'm writing this post from Germany.

quote:

To the first young birch
Pass three, staying west
You'll see a letter from the country
Of wonderstone's hearth
On a proud, tall fifth
At its southern foot
The treasure waits.

So first you reach a young birch tree (now a 40 year old birch tree or a no longer existing tree), and then you head west going past three more birch trees which probably aren't there.

Then,

quote:

You'll see a letter from the country
Of wonderstone's hearth
You're going to see a written letter whose origin is from the country of wonderstone's hearth. The country of wonderstone's hearth (Maybe Germany? Maybe the country where the jewel depicted in the drawing is most commonly found?). The author of this letter is from that country. My guess is this is a statue of some sort.

Regardless,

quote:

On a proud, tall fifth
At its southern foot
The treasure waits.
This part is separate from the previous section. The proud, tall fifth may not have anything to do with the letter. It may be a separate structure altogether (this is why I think you may be looking for a tree). On the southern side of this tree is the treasure.

For other 5 petaled flowers I may not have thought about see here:
5 Petaled Flowers

Anyway, my parents are in Chicago and they're just the kind of people who would like to go on a treasure hunt :)

Join Us! fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 3, 2013

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
BOSTON

loaded the hacking tools and attemptyed to "unroll" the shapes that are in a circle around the lady. Also pasted other symbols from the picture including the "shoreline" that appears in her hair.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

One of the things that irritates me about this image is the lacking of any kind of coordinates, it seems like every other image has coordinates

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
If you look closely, there's something in the waves near the bottom that looks like 74, which matches up with New York.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
BOSTON

To be clear this is the shape I was trying to unroll.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The Monkey Man posted:

If you look closely, there's something in the waves near the bottom that looks like 74, which matches up with New York.

Where at? I've been looking at those waves for a little while, and in all the other paintings (even the ones where they're hidden in hair and such) the numbers are REALLY obvious once you see them.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I think thats a bit of a stretch, the monekey man.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
There's a 74 and 41 in the waves, nyc has latitude / longitude roughly 41, -74

edit: the 41 is backwards and sideways above the 74. You can see it a lot better if you play with the levels in photoshop
I also think all the latitudes are horizontal in the other ones also where they're included, which kind of makes sense

ruebennase
Oct 18, 2011
NYC

I keep coming back to the Public Library. It fits some aspects of the upper half of the image too nicely. Sure, might be coincidence, but I think it's worth a closer look.

• The library has lots of huge arched windows
  • right across 42nd street is the College of Optometry, meaning it would be reflected in the library's windows. Could explain the colorblindness patterns in the window panes
  • The Chrysler bird is flying to the east. If you're standing on 42nd street, the Chrysler building is just down the street, to the east.
  • if that blob on the lady's dress is indeed supposed to be a lion, the library is full of them. Two huge ones at the entrance, small lion heads on each window.
I also like the possibility of 42 being at least part of the answer.

Futzing around on street view is a pain and I won't be in town until the end of the month, so I'd be happy if somebody could go to 42nd street, stand where library and College of Optometry face each other and look around, see if anything pops.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
Another neat thing if the NY public library is the focus, is that 41st street East of the library has lots of little neat brik-a-brak and trivia in the sidewalk, and there are bars and hotels with a literary theme. Some of them have little curios in them like monkey skulls or globes or whatnot.

I mean who's to say this thing isn't buried in plain sight, like behind a bottle of Lagavulin 20 at a bar next to the library?

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
I've been researching the San Francisco one and assuming that verse 6 (with the 1913 Lincoln reference) is for SF here's what I've discovered:

1913 Lincoln Highway is the address for the very top of Lincoln Hill, which is also exact spot of the Legion of Honor art museum (which has a different address). This address is a somewhat "hidden" address, in that it doesn't look like it's the right spot at all, until you dig a little and see that it is the right spot, it's actually the very last/ending address for the Lincoln highway. Lincoln Highway is one of those roads that 'merges' with other roads at various points. On the map it says "Lincoln Highway Western Terminus". There is also a statue/plaque that marks it and says the same thing. So 1913 is the very last address for that road, the verse says "Freedom at the birth of a century, Or May 1913". Perhaps the 'or' part is referring to the opposite of birth, the end?

34th Avenue (the woman's hands point to 4 & 3) happens to end at this exact location as well. Her hands seem to pointing at the ends of 4 & 3, but probably that's just wishful thinking.

If you are in the parking lot (via Google maps) of the Legion of Honor building, facing the building, there is a fountain behind you and could refer to the sound of water in the verse. Also, being right by the ocean could lend itself to hearing more birds, sea gulls, but I suppose that could be anywhere in SF. When facing the building from this spot, to your left in front of the building is a statue of Joan of Arc, with her arm raised. To the right is a statue of El Cid, also with his arm raised. This could fit this part of the verse 'Between two arms extended'. These statues are about ~100 yards apart. I've tried fitting the silouhette's onto the picture (the blueish blobs to the left and right of the woman's head) and by reversing the horizontal view they kind of seem to fit (again, probably just my brain trying to see something that's not there).

This place (just like anywhere in SF) has a ton of fantastic art, both inside and outside the building and the other clues could certainly be here. I've been looking at the art on the webite, such as here http://legionofhonor.famsf.org/legion/collections/european-decorative-art-sculpture , in case something matches the shape of the thing the watch is sitting on, but no luck so far.

This building is also white and the back of it somewhat resembles the white house.

I had been looking over and over the Golden Gate park when I stumbled upon this, just in case it's not actually in the GGP but maybe here instead.

I haven't been able to read everything in the thread so if verse 6 goes to a different city please let me know.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Barfoid 3 posted:

I think thats a bit of a stretch, the monekey man.

nah he's right, there's a clear 4 there if you just adjust the levels a little bit

I was playing with the image in photoshop to check the colorblindness thingies up top for color filters but didn't even think about doing it with the waves

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Devyl posted:

N.O.

It's possible, but the rest of the verse doesn't seem to make sense to be in N.O. The only thing I can think of 21 across and 15 down would be a mausoleum or cemetery... But the problem with that is there are several in N.O. to pick from.

I've also outlined most of the stuff we've guessed on the high-res picture. If anyone wants high-res of the rest of the pictures, let me know.

I had no idea we were this close to this one. Someone needs to get out there and start looking for fairies and gnomes/fates & earths and poo poo. Also poking holes in the ground.

Join Us! posted:

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

flower chat

So how many people here missed that the birth flowers are meant to align with the birthstones?

EDIT: Yeah, I guess I'll clarify:

Cask 1 - June. Rose, pearl, sixth month.
Cask 2 - April. Daisy, diamond, fourth month.
Cask 3 - January. Carnation, garnet, first month.
Cask 4 - March. Daffodil, aquamarine third month.
Cask 5 - May. Lily of the valley, emerald, fifth month.
Cask 6 - Tentatively, September: sapphire, aster, ninth month. Doesn't look like a sapphire, but maybe the colors are hosed.
Cask 7 - December. Narcissus (unless it's holly, I am not a flower person), turquoise, twelfth month.
Cask 8 - Probably July as per the probably-ruby. Evidently water lily or larkspur somewhere; the more weirdly-shaped leaves look a bit larkspurish.
Cask 9 - Probably October. Supposedly marigold, opal, tenth month.
Cask 10 - ...
Cask 11 - Ugh, I hate this one. Peridot is the only non-emerald green stone I'm seeing, so that would be August, the eighth month, which would make the flower behind her either a gladiolus or a poppy. Does that fucker look like a poppy to you? It doesn't to me. But none of the other flowers are poppy/gladiolus (i.e. sword)-shaped, so...
(Oh poo poo, and I just realized that if the window were a clock, the jewel would be at the eight hand I am a moron who was born after the advent of the digital clock)
Cask 12 - November. Crysanthemum(?), topaz(?), eleventh month.

I have absolutely zero idea which of these is supposed to be February/amethyst/violet. Shame; that's my birth month.

Tjadeth fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 4, 2013

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This is really crazy. I can't believe how fast goons have narrowed down some of the ones that were missed so far. I'm kind of sad there isn't one in Washington state for me to go searching for.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Reason posted:

This is really crazy. I can't believe how fast goons have narrowed down some of the ones that were missed so far. I'm kind of sad there isn't one in Washington state for me to go searching for.

I'll be more impressed when we actually find one

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Here it is drawn in red for you all. Hope it helps :)

Bloke
May 22, 2004

Talking of digging stuff up, the deceased author's widow Sandi Mendelson is on twitter. She might have his notes..

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

ruebennase posted:

NYC

I keep coming back to the Public Library. It fits some aspects of the upper half of the image too nicely. Sure, might be coincidence, but I think it's worth a closer look.

• The library has lots of huge arched windows
  • right across 42nd street is the College of Optometry, meaning it would be reflected in the library's windows. Could explain the colorblindness patterns in the window panes
  • The Chrysler bird is flying to the east. If you're standing on 42nd street, the Chrysler building is just down the street, to the east.
  • if that blob on the lady's dress is indeed supposed to be a lion, the library is full of them. Two huge ones at the entrance, small lion heads on each window.
I also like the possibility of 42 being at least part of the answer.

Futzing around on street view is a pain and I won't be in town until the end of the month, so I'd be happy if somebody could go to 42nd street, stand where library and College of Optometry face each other and look around, see if anything pops.

The front gateway arches to the library are in the exact same shape with the same ratios as the mural as well. I think you are on the money here.

look at those statues up top, they look pretty familiar, oh my.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 4, 2013

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
In Cask 9 I see some letters in the hair, I don't recall seeing it mentioned?
I can't remotely seeing it being the illustrator's signature. Maybe it means something to someone.

Nendil
Apr 4, 2005

3D movies are the dumbest fad since pull-ups.

Essential posted:

I've been researching the San Francisco one and assuming that verse 6 (with the 1913 Lincoln reference) is for SF here's what I've discovered:

1913 Lincoln Highway is the address for the very top of Lincoln Hill, which is also exact spot of the Legion of Honor art museum (which has a different address). This address is a somewhat "hidden" address, in that it doesn't look like it's the right spot at all, until you dig a little and see that it is the right spot, it's actually the very last/ending address for the Lincoln highway. Lincoln Highway is one of those roads that 'merges' with other roads at various points. On the map it says "Lincoln Highway Western Terminus". There is also a statue/plaque that marks it and says the same thing. So 1913 is the very last address for that road, the verse says "Freedom at the birth of a century, Or May 1913". Perhaps the 'or' part is referring to the opposite of birth, the end?

34th Avenue (the woman's hands point to 4 & 3) happens to end at this exact location as well. Her hands seem to pointing at the ends of 4 & 3, but probably that's just wishful thinking.

If you are in the parking lot (via Google maps) of the Legion of Honor building, facing the building, there is a fountain behind you and could refer to the sound of water in the verse. Also, being right by the ocean could lend itself to hearing more birds, sea gulls, but I suppose that could be anywhere in SF. When facing the building from this spot, to your left in front of the building is a statue of Joan of Arc, with her arm raised. To the right is a statue of El Cid, also with his arm raised. This could fit this part of the verse 'Between two arms extended'. These statues are about ~100 yards apart. I've tried fitting the silouhette's onto the picture (the blueish blobs to the left and right of the woman's head) and by reversing the horizontal view they kind of seem to fit (again, probably just my brain trying to see something that's not there).

This place (just like anywhere in SF) has a ton of fantastic art, both inside and outside the building and the other clues could certainly be here. I've been looking at the art on the webite, such as here http://legionofhonor.famsf.org/legion/collections/european-decorative-art-sculpture , in case something matches the shape of the thing the watch is sitting on, but no luck so far.

This building is also white and the back of it somewhat resembles the white house.

I had been looking over and over the Golden Gate park when I stumbled upon this, just in case it's not actually in the GGP but maybe here instead.

I haven't been able to read everything in the thread so if verse 6 goes to a different city please let me know.

Welp, I had thought about responding to ChickenOfTomorrow's plea yesterday to meet up and search for clues because SO and I were going to SF, but we went to the Legion of Honor instead as we had originally planned :v: I like your thought process in matching up the verse, but just based on intuition and recollection, the location doesn't feel like it fits the specific-sounding instructions in the verse (nothing like "Below the bar that binds/Beside the long palm's shadow/Embedded in the sand"), nor is it a particularly inconspicuous place to dig (though I suppose you could get there after dark probably?). Anyway, I don't have any direct evidence to contradict this theory, just reporting the on-scene vibe :shobon:

allta
Mar 28, 2011
I have everything up to page 12 written, but It's taking longer than I'd thought and I need to run and do something, so they will be up tonight 100% for sure!

Mad Mafioso
Jan 13, 2009

Tjadeth posted:

I had no idea we were this close to this one. Someone needs to get out there and start looking for fairies and gnomes/fates & earths and poo poo. Also poking holes in the ground.

It's not that close. We don't even know what poem is connected. The flowers in city park, Louis in Armstrong Park, and the flying child in Lafayette Square seem to be mutually exclusive. Only one of those is in the right direction, the other two being unrelated in terms of actually finding the cask. Lots of assumptions have been made but not much concrete.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The Walking Dad posted:

The front gateway arches to the library are in the exact same shape with the same ratios as the mural as well. I think you are on the money here.

look at those statues up top, they look pretty familiar, oh my.

The biggest problem I see with that is that the library is not near water at all, it's actually right in the middle of Manhattan, and it's not really near the statue either.

Arches aren't exactly rare in this city either. Though I do agree that the ratios match.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Nendil posted:

Welp, I had thought about responding to ChickenOfTomorrow's plea yesterday to meet up and search for clues because SO and I were going to SF, but we went to the Legion of Honor instead as we had originally planned :v: I like your thought process in matching up the verse, but just based on intuition and recollection, the location doesn't feel like it fits the specific-sounding instructions in the verse (nothing like "Below the bar that binds/Beside the long palm's shadow/Embedded in the sand"), nor is it a particularly inconspicuous place to dig (though I suppose you could get there after dark probably?). Anyway, I don't have any direct evidence to contradict this theory, just reporting the on-scene vibe :shobon:

Ah, thanks for the on-scene report, at least that helps eliminate that spot. I was thinking the same thing, in that, where the hell would it be buried though and what about the other clues. So that sounds like a dead end. On another note, that's awesome you were there and one thing this thread has me excited about is finding new & interesting places to visit!

What do you think about the piers being involved in the clues? Lincoln Highway runs right along them, and the woman has a 38 and maybe a 37 in her hair. There's also the 4 & 3 she is pointing to. I've tried matching up the shorelines with the picture (and all reversals & rotations of the picture) but I haven't found a match yet. I don't have the time to overlay the images though and that would help a lot.

Regarding GGP and the torii the woman has on her dress, there is a Japanese Garden there. One of the photos I found of the garden is of a Buddha statue with one palm raised, one palm out flat. In case it's not a palm tree, but an actual hand (palm). I suppose there could be a planter with sand or something in that garden.

Essential fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 4, 2013

StinkyMeat
May 25, 2003

M-m-m-my bologna.

ruebennase posted:

NYC

From what I recall (I used to have appt's there) the College of Optometry faces Bryant Park - behind the library. Nothing significant connecting the two. Good direction to go in, though.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

SheepNameKiller posted:

The biggest problem I see with that is that the library is not near water at all, it's actually right in the middle of Manhattan, and it's not really near the statue either.

Arches aren't exactly rare in this city either. Though I do agree that the ratios match.

Also, the urns are very prominent features that don't show up in the image. I don't think the upside-down orthodox church is close enough.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Kingnothing posted:

Some things stand out to me on this image that I can't really see anything for. Maybe you guys will.

- The fingers on the right hand are odd. Why can we only see four and why are they in that shape?
- With regards to the upper frames, why is only the second one from the left split in two?
- The birds feet come together in a strange shape.
- There's something written on the clock face under the arms that I can't make out.
- What's up with that weird rear end shadow under her nose that goes straight past her chin? It's certainly not natural.
- That little bump in the white looks weird.
- Why is the shape of the two bird's wings so different?
- Why does the dotted pane all the way to the left have more color variation?
- Why are two squares the same color when the rest aren't even close?
- There's something really strange here, I just can't tell what.

In regards to one of the stranger lines in the riddle, a Vol is actually a symbol. It is mainly french.

A vol is a once-obscure heraldic symbol consisting of a pair of outstretched, usually plumed bird's wings, which are connected together at their shoulders without having any bird's body in the middle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vol

I'm having a crazy difficult time finding an image of one.

I'm still catching up on this thread so sorry if someone else pointed this out but it looks to me like one of those frames is literally a hand pointing at a map with a circle 'marking the spot' ?

This seems super obvious so again sorry if it was pointed out!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Tjadeth posted:

(Oh poo poo, and I just realized that if the window were a clock, the jewel would be at the eight hand. Feeling better about this guess now.)

...What? The green gem in the fairy's hands? That's not in the 8-position on a clock.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Allow me to drop a bomb.

http://newyorkcitystatues.com/jose-bonifacio-de-andrada-e-si

ruebennase
Oct 18, 2011
NYC

StinkyMeat posted:

From what I recall (I used to have appt's there) the College of Optometry faces Bryant Park - behind the library. Nothing significant connecting the two. Good direction to go in, though.

You're right, it's one building over from the one right across from the library. But it's still close enough to be visible in the library windows.

And as for the library being nowhere near water, maybe it's the starting point, not the final location.
At least I hope so, because the library being the actual location would mean the cask was buried in Bryant Park, which was pretty completely torn up in the 80s .

StinkyMeat
May 25, 2003

M-m-m-my bologna.
NYC

Care to offer some context with this bomb?

Join Us!
Mar 16, 2008

Why not?
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ok, laying it down right now. I think the .pdf has the wrong final location for the treasure.

From the .pdf it was right up to this point:

The North Point Park

Highlighted:

From the drawing:

quote:

Pass three, staying west

quote:

On a proud, tall fifth

quote:

letter from the country of wonderstones hearth

quote:

at its southern foot the treasure awaits

Trees n' poo poo.

McIneri
Jan 4, 2012
I live in Charleston, my girlfriend works on Ft. Sumter. I am so pumped to try and look for this thing. I'm very willing to help in any way I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

StinkyMeat posted:

NYC

Care to offer some context with this bomb?

His scientific, political and social works are published in Volume III, compiled and reproduced by Edgar Cerqueira Falcão with the title Obras científicas, politicas e sociais de José Bonifácio de Andrada e Silva. Its third edition came out in 1963 to celebrate the bicentennial of the Patriarch of the Independence. (Wikipedia)