Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm on a crazy rear end Kubrick kick. I'm so sad The Killing was removed last month; it had been in my queue for probably a year. Now it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
^^^

*edit* Nevermind. I thought you were talking about the AMC show.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I blew through The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret this past week. It takes a few episodes to get going, but once things start coming to a head it's pretty hilarious.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

I'm on a crazy rear end Kubrick kick. I'm so sad The Killing was removed last month; it had been in my queue for probably a year. Now it's gone.

I'm a fan too but you're not missing out. I saw The Killing on the big screen recently and it's... not all that great.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mescal posted:

I'm a fan too but you're not missing out. I saw The Killing on the big screen recently and it's... not all that great.
But it's got crazy high ratings on Netflix. drat their ratings annoy me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What the hell? The Killing is a great movie.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Mescal posted:

Yeah, don't listen to this guy at all. The Killing rules. It doesn't really have that "Kubrickian" style in the sense that he would later develop, but it's a fantastic piece of noir and a lot of fun.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I would also add my voice to the chorus mentioning how great The Killing is but I don't want to make magnificent7 more sad.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The Killing is great, maybe they were thinking of Killer's Kiss, which is okay at best (although the mannequin warehouse was a pretty great scene).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Well shoot, I guess I'm in the minority. I thought it doesn't compare to Kubrick's later stuff. Bits of it were ahead of its time but overall it hasn't aged well. It's a good but not Great film. Mostly it was about two hours of obvious. It's probably better for fans of the genre than fans of the director.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mescal posted:

It's probably better for fans of the genre than fans of the director.
That's probably a great way to sum it up. Thanks - I like both so I'm betting I can't lose. Putting it at the top of my queueue.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Got really confused here and thought everyone was talking about AMC's disappointing show.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

The Killing is great, maybe they were thinking of Killer's Kiss, which is okay at best (although the mannequin warehouse was a pretty great scene).

First off, The Killing is just as amazing as Kubrick's other films. It's lower key than his later color films, but it's fun to see Kubrick make something so tight and fast paced considering he generally had longer stories.

I went into Killer's Kiss expecting it to be more like the mediocrity of Fear and Desire, but it's surprisingly good. Go in with low expectations and I think it's more enjoyable that way.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Mescal posted:

Well shoot, I guess I'm in the minority. I thought it doesn't compare to Kubrick's later stuff. Bits of it were ahead of its time but overall it hasn't aged well. It's a good but not Great film. Mostly it was about two hours of obvious. It's probably better for fans of the genre than fans of the director.

Agreed. I saw it after a bunch of other noir films and thought parts of the editing / action setpieces felt surprisingly modern compared to something like the Maltese Falcon. The voiceover is really grating but it was obviously a studio imposition (what is it with studios thinking people are idiots?)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Killing has a lovely bit from one of the greatest character actors ever, Timothy Agoglia Carey.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Killing has a lovely bit from one of the greatest character actors ever, Timothy Agoglia Carey.

I just googled him to make sure I knew who you were talking about, and I agree, his part was great.

But he was also one of the three main soldiers in Paths of Glory?! Cool!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo. I just watched The Woman Who Wasn't There and the ending is like a goddamn horror movie. I mean - I got one of those adrenaline rushes "oh gently caress!" moments.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone got recommendations for comedies? I feel like I've already seen all of the good ones on Instant.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone got recommendations for comedies? I feel like I've already seen all of the good ones on Instant.

Toxic Avenger.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Anonymous Robot posted:

Shaolin Grandma

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Anonymous Robot posted:

The Comedy

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Four Lions.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Cannibal! The Musical is Trey Parker's student film from University of Colorado at Boulder. It's a ridiculously funny musical and (mostly) true story, and it's unbelievably good for a student film. It's also extremely funny, which I may have mentioned

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 4, 2013

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Anonymous Robot posted:

Klown

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Man, Netflix comments are weird sometimes - check this one out for the SyFy show Continuum:

quote:

Not as awesome as they said up there. It's like it sets up a full line of thinking. But not your own thinking. Aside from it being television person slow....it seems to be geared to make you think about things that don't matter to anyone. So that is why i give it two stars. Swing and a miss with this individual. Nice touch with the G.I.Joe chick. But she isn't enough. Sorry this would have been a great blockbuster movie. But it being wrapped with commercial s and the slowness of t.v....leaves me feeling absurdly shadowed. Vaguely worried for my future. I bet Planes that take off from secret military bases on earth...through a giant arc....but not the arc you are thinking of (just a big electronic curve) ...then landing not on earth....would make a much better slow person t.v. show. But that isn't the plot here is it. I just wonder how and or why sum1 with high speed telescopes and super refractive shutter speeds hasn't picked up on it. Biggest question of all is: How did you dumb down the geologists? You don't have to be a trained eye to see it if you actually study any globe of earth. Now there is your Blockbuster movie.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

Discount Viscount posted:

The domestic interiors in Killer's Kiss are some of my favorite Kubrick shots, not to mention the loving gorgeous street photography. Killer's Kiss owns.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I've seen every single one of those but Klown and Cannibal, and I'm not a big fan of the Parkers. :smith:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

I've seen every single one of those but Klown and Cannibal, and I'm not a big fan of the Parkers. :smith:

Have you seen The Stuff?

Comedy Bang! Bang! is a great TV comedy.

Jeff who lives at home, while not a true comedy is a pretty good and funny movie.

Dead Snow is a horror that is funny sometimes.

Magnus Gallant fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 4, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Anonymous Robot posted:

Girls Gone Dead

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Bernie has some pretty good black comedy and Jack Black at his best.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Magnus Gallant posted:

Have you seen The Stuff?

Comedy Bang! Bang! is a great TV comedy.

Jeff who lives at home, while not a true comedy is a pretty good and funny movie.

Black dynamite is hilarious.

Dead Snow is a horror that is funny sometimes.

Black dynamite is not on streaming YOU rear end :mad:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Black dynamite is not on streaming YOU rear end :mad:

Dammit, guess I misspoke on that one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Anonymous Robot posted:

Fat Kid Rules the World was surprisingly good to me.

Also yes, everyone watch Bernie. Don't Google it, just watch it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Bernie has some pretty good black comedy and Jack Black at his best.

When he says "Jack Black at his best" it is not an indictment of the film.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

When he says "Jack Black at his best" it is not an indictment of the film.

I don't know, I thought Jack Black was better in Gulliver's Travels.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's really Jack Black at his least Jack Black-ish (Black-est?)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He plays an effeminate man who sings for like a full third of the movie, it's one of his most Jack Blackiest roles. It's just a dramatic role rather than an ostensibly comedic one (though the film is a comedy).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I disagree, while he does sing he doesn't have his usual persona. (The Tenacious-D Jack Black)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Netflix Streaming: Serious Discussion About the Persona of Jack Black
:allears:

I love this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Who would win in a fight between School of Rock Jack Black and High Fidelity Jack Black???

Answer: Nacho Libre Jack Black.

• Locked thread