Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Between Blood Dragon, Rise of the Triad, and the new Shadow Warrior, seems like they're trying to do exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

TerminusEst13 posted:

Between Blood Dragon, Rise of the Triad, and the new Shadow Warrior, seems like they're trying to do exactly that.

Blood Dragon was mechanically identical to Far Cry 3. As for the other two, I have no idea and I can't think of any mechanics that defined either of those apart from "awkward rear end coin-collecting jumping puzzles" in the former's case.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Oh man, the effects (sound and visual) on that sniper rifle! :allears: This is clearly designed by somebody who "gets" what is fun about shooting things.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

Tiger Schwert posted:

Seems to me that not many wads are going to be designed with a giant power jump in mind. Seems to me that when you have a mod that does as much stuff as that, you probably want to create maps specifically for it (or better yet, make it a standalone work since it has long-since lost all similarity to Doom).

Frankly, I wish more weapon/enemy replacer mod-makers would team up with map-makers. I mean, they could still make a mod pack to work with vanilla wads, but I think it would be interesting if they threw normal balance and analogous enemies/weapons out the window.

I mean, like take Brutal Doom for example, which makes some maps unplayable with the new enemy/weapon balance. They could release a pared down version for compatibility, and make a bigger mod with maps designed around the new AI and stuff like dodging and grabbing enemies. Also, they could add in weapons and monsters, instead of having something that must say replace super-shotguns and must be at a certain power to reflect normal Doom progression.

I don't know, I just feel some weapon mods like MSX and Brutal Doom and Hideous Destructor and Terrorists!/Nazis! could have more room for growth if they weren't mainly developed for traditional maps.

edit: MSX Beta 2 looks really fun. I think the supercharging grenades with shields thing might actually be a new idea in videogame mechanics, and for some reason I like the "snappiness" of the reload animations.

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 2, 2013

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

I'll need to try it out, but I don't think MSX looks that appealing. The enemy projectiles are way too fast, the HUD seems ugly and annoying, and the regenerating shield ruins the pace. It looks like what would happen if you made Halo about five times faster.

But like I said, I haven't played it yet, so maybe it's more fun than it appears.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zlocista posted:

But like I said, I haven't played it yet, so maybe it's more fun than it appears.

That's the problem right there. The first beta had the shield mechanic already and had some "upgraded" version of normal enemies being faster etc... Everything is fine because you are faster, the regenerating shield is actually a good thing because you are squishy but can dish ridiculous amounts of damage with grenades, the super shotgun and the rest of the weapons. The UI is intrusive because most of us are used to play with a single bottom bar or like me, with the alternative HUD but if you think about it, Doom alpha 1 had a helmet/visor hud. It's not like Halo at all, is fast, it encourages being agressive and the "power rerouting" is loving fun.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I really don't like that the easily-recognizable zombies have been replaced by palette-swapped player sprites.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

The Kins posted:

Updated the OP with a couple of links and the info on Keenan's server. Any other changes I should make?

Actually the ModDB page might be a more stable link for Quake HD: http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-hd-pack-guide

...and speaking of which, the Epsilon link in the OP appears to be dead, but it is also available at Mod DB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-epsilon-build

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

NovaPolice posted:

I don't know, I just feel some weapon mods like MSX and Brutal Doom and Hideous Destructor and Terrorists!/Nazis! could have more room for growth if they weren't mainly developed for traditional maps.

It must hold back these mods in many ways, trying to maintain a compromised "compatibility" with the hundreds and thousands of wads in existence. The reason I like Reelism the most out of the various gameplay mods I've played is that the maps are built with it in mind. Can you imagine trying to play Reelism in like, Misri Halek (alien vendetta map20) or something? Would be miserable.

I very much prefer mods to be unified, focused works of vision and not a series of various things you slap together with nothing ever quite working.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Convex posted:

Wow, this is pretty great. Amusingly the project is now renamed "Corsair Doom" as file sharing websites didn't like the original title :laugh:

Hahah yeah, this is super-charming.

(Thread: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32674 Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?3rfba0bhpkjfd68 )

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tiger Schwert posted:

It must hold back these mods in many ways, trying to maintain a compromised "compatibility" with the hundreds and thousands of wads in existence. The reason I like Reelism the most out of the various gameplay mods I've played is that the maps are built with it in mind. Can you imagine trying to play Reelism in like, Misri Halek (alien vendetta map20) or something? Would be miserable.

I very much prefer mods to be unified, focused works of vision and not a series of various things you slap together with nothing ever quite working.

Well, Samsara works with almost anything, same with Project MSX, Russian Overkill (well this one is just ridiculous stuff thrown at but hey) and even Real Guns Hardcore (the MW2 weapons mod) is playable on most maps. Saying "a series of various things you slap together with nothing ever quite working" is kind of exessive. Note that I didn't mention your most hated gameplay mod.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Well, MSX is more fun than I expected, in part due to the way the weapons feel/sound. I really like the way the author treats the weapons. The biggest issue I can think of is that the enemies seem to move too fast for me to keep track of, but I suppose that's just a personal preference. It passed my E1 litmus test for fun in my book, so now it's time to expand my horizons.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
This ended up being the main reason why I stopped using mods like Brutal Doom. There are so many top-class wads out there which offer well-balanced, exceptional gameplay -specifically designed for the vanilla Doom- that it outweighs the satisfaction of better looking weapons and 2d executions in the long run.

I usually limit myself to mods which smooth out the animations and so on and don't touch the gameplay aspect of the game when playing these wads. I thought beautiful Doom was one of those a while back until Revenants started shooting double rockets and the SSG had an alt fire mode.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Has anyone mentioned ECWolf? If you want a ZDoom for Wolfenstein, this is it, though it's nowhere near as mature yet. Unfortunately the Wolfenstein community is rather small and attached to traditional practices so not a lot of mods exist aside from the 10-level tech demo episode (my 10-level tech demo episode :toot:) that's available on the ECWolf website. If you've ever considered modding for Wolfenstein I'd highly recommend it instead of using DOS Wolfenstein or Wolf4SDL due to not having to learn C++ or deal with cut-and-paste source code tutorials that may or may not work and sometimes conflict with each other (I am not kidding when I say that a lot of modders literally do not understand what they're doing to the source code of their mods).

EDIT: Oh yeah it also adds proper mouse support and two-button strafe so if you hate Wolf3D's controls it will be a complete revelation for you.

Buff Skeleton posted:

Oh my god, Descent. DESCENT. Some of my favorite games of all time and, sadly, one of the few truly amazing games I have yet to see redone in a modern engine.

There's actually one hitscan enemy in D1, the Vulcan bot (which is a nightmare to deal with on harder difficulties). Also, I've never seen a game pull off global difficulty settings as well as Descent; there aren't more enemies on higher settings, but their AI is SO much different that the game feel completely changes as you step it up from Trainee to Rookie to Hotshot to Ace to Insane. Robots are faster, enemy projectiles are faster, the AI gets smarter, and they will move around a lot and get really unpredictable.

D2 had a couple of hitscan enemies as well, but yeah, most enemies fire projectiles. On Ace and Insane, enemy projectiles are as fast as yours. It's balls-to-the-wall hard as gently caress and some of the most challenging gameplay I can remember.

The hitscans are actually projectiles, they just move at around 10x the speed of your ship. I'd say the difficulty levels are seriously flawed in D1 as certain enemies (most notably the Driller and Fusion Hulk use player projectiles that don't scale to difficulty, making them completely disproportionate to the difficulty of the others on lower skill levels.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 3, 2013

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Why wouldn't you play Trespasser vanilla? :v:

I am not that much of a masochist, you pervert. :colbert:

Is there a decent strategy to getting rid of the loving annoying ghosts the Coolies in Shadow Warrior spawn? They're one of my number-one causes of dying. :smith:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Woolie Wool posted:

Has anyone mentioned ECWolf? If you want a ZDoom for Wolfenstein, this is it, though it's nowhere near as mature yet. Unfortunately the Wolfenstein community is rather small and attached to traditional practices so not a lot of mods exist aside from the 10-level tech demo episode (my 10-level tech demo episode :toot:) that's available on the ECWolf website. If you've ever considered modding for Wolfenstein I'd highly recommend it instead of using DOS Wolfenstein or Wolf4SDL due to not having to learn C++ or deal with cut-and-paste source code tutorials that may or may not work and sometimes conflict with each other (I am not kidding when I say that a lot of modders literally do not understand what they're doing to the source code of their mods).

EDIT: Oh yeah it also adds proper mouse support and two-button strafe so if you hate Wolf3D's controls it will be a complete revelation for you.

ECWolf is absolutely the best Wolf3D source port I've used. Just wish there was a way to get those SDL mods working on it, but alas.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

NovaPolice posted:

Frankly, I wish more weapon/enemy replacer mod-makers would team up with map-makers. I mean, they could still make a mod pack to work with vanilla wads, but I think it would be interesting if they threw normal balance and analogous enemies/weapons out the window.

With Samsara 0.29 out the door, I'm currently working on a new mod at the moment. It...doesn't play well outside of a very niche section of Doom maps at all, so I've been delving into mapping to try and make maps complimentary to its gameplay. So I've been learning all about this wish as well.

And, uh. Mapping is surprisingly hard and easy at the same time. It's easy in that the tools are very easy to learn, and there's practically very little effort involved in drawing the layout of a theoretical map. It's hard in actually making the map A: Look interesting, B: Have a consistent theme throughout, C: Include notable different setpieces, and D: Making each major area especially identifiable and easy to pick out.
On the plus side, I've not had to confine myself to the limits of Doom standards at all. I can go way out with HP, damage values, speed, and enemy types, and not have to worry about, say, Strife's balance breaking because I accidentally overestimated whether or not the player would go into the warehouse to pick up the VII before fighting the Bishop and whether or not the non-Sigil damage is too high to bother with picking up the VII or too low that they'll run out of ammo.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

I am not that much of a masochist, you pervert. :colbert:

Is there a decent strategy to getting rid of the loving annoying ghosts the Coolies in Shadow Warrior spawn? They're one of my number-one causes of dying. :smith:

Riot gun. Riot gun everything.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Woolie Wool posted:

Has anyone mentioned ECWolf?

Well, I'm waiting for two things:
1. this.
2. Super 3D Noah's 3D Ark 3D. I'm not even kidding. Not to play the game itself, but because it'll mean I'll finally have a bloody automap. (Also, MIDI music support would be great, too.)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Segmentation Fault posted:

Riot gun. Riot gun everything.

This or you can samurai sword them before they spawn.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zlocista posted:

Well, MSX is more fun than I expected, in part due to the way the weapons feel/sound. I really like the way the author treats the weapons. The biggest issue I can think of is that the enemies seem to move too fast for me to keep track of, but I suppose that's just a personal preference. It passed my E1 litmus test for fun in my book, so now it's time to expand my horizons.

The map-pack that seems to be 'officially' paired with it (like Epic 2 + Nazis) is UAC Ultra. Back to Saturn X would work well, too - any detailed techbase that never lapses into slaughtermap sillyness should be good for it.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

but because it'll mean I'll finally have a bloody automap.

This is really the only thing keeping me from ECWolf.
I want to be able to know where the gently caress I need to go, please.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

quote:

any detailed techbase that never lapses into slaughtermap amazingness should be good for it.

fixed

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

TerminusEst13 posted:

This is really the only thing keeping me from ECWolf.
I want to be able to know where the gently caress I need to go, please.

Well it's not like any other Wolfenstein port has it yet (except maybe NewWolf, but NewWolf sucks).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cat Mattress posted:

Not to play the game itself, but because it'll mean I'll finally have a bloody automap.

Would the automap be useful or just a near-unreadable grid of sprites like RotT's map?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

Would the automap be useful or just a near-unreadable grid of sprites like RotT's map?

Considering as Wolf 3D used sprite objects rather sparingly, I doubt it!

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Mak0rz posted:

Dammit, I go to all the trouble to take a nice screenshot, and it turns out imgur is overloaded. :argh: I'll have to try attaching it.

Noah's automap is basically like ROTT's, except that normally only walls and doors show up on it. Sprites only show up if you get a full map item. It also uses a smaller scale grid than ROTT, so you can see more of the map at a time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Dammit, I go to all the trouble to take a nice screenshot, and it turns out imgur is overloaded. :argh: I'll have to try attaching it.

Noah's automap is basically like ROTT's, except that normally only walls and doors show up on it. Sprites only show up if you get a full map item. It also uses a smaller scale grid than ROTT, so you can see more of the map at a time.

How is it a game based on Wolfenstein has a better automap then Dooms? Seriously, what the hell. A game where Noah shoots fruit at animals on his ark no less.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 4, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Wow it would be great to have that for Wolf3D.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

xanthan posted:

How is it a game based on Wolfenstein has a better automap then Dooms? Seriously, what the hell. A game where Noah shoots fruit at animals on his ark no less.

To be fair, it originated in the SNES version of Wolfenstein. Wisdom Tree just backported it from the SNES to DOS. Also, the Wolfenstein engine's single-height, tile-based nature makes it easier to display more information from an overhead view than Doom's line-based sectors of varying heights.

I know, it was a rhetorical question, but... I had an answer.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I remember playing Wolf 3d on an uncle's work desktop computer the year it came out. I was still bopping koopa heads with mario so to my preteen eyes Wolfenstein was practically a simulation. In particular, my uncle came in a few hours later and was shocked to see that I was still grinding through one of the earlier levels.

"Why are you stuck? Can't kill the nazis fast enough?"

"No, I keep getting lost. This is a maze!" I shouted in frustration.

My uncle wordlessly moved to the third drawer in his desk, ruffled through some papers, and pulled out his own hand-drawn maps for Wolfenstein. Switches, treasures, secrets, all of it. All on graph paper.

"Then map the maze." He said.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Words of wisdom. Your uncle is awesome!

By the way, I've just finished Pirate! Doom and it was fantastic. I loved the light-heartedness and silliness of it all. Is there anything else like this?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Narcissus1916 posted:

I remember playing Wolf 3d on an uncle's work desktop computer the year it came out. I was still bopping koopa heads with mario so to my preteen eyes Wolfenstein was practically a simulation. In particular, my uncle came in a few hours later and was shocked to see that I was still grinding through one of the earlier levels.

"Why are you stuck? Can't kill the nazis fast enough?"

"No, I keep getting lost. This is a maze!" I shouted in frustration.

My uncle wordlessly moved to the third drawer in his desk, ruffled through some papers, and pulled out his own hand-drawn maps for Wolfenstein. Switches, treasures, secrets, all of it. All on graph paper.

"Then map the maze." He said.

Thats amazing. :allears:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

xanthan posted:

Shadowcaster had the best automap. Like, it showed floor textures, okay? But, some were animated, and they were animated in the automap too! Also you had a little window on the side showing a scaled down version of the normal view, so you wouldn't be surprised by a monster getting in your face while you look at the map. You had a zoomed-out textured map, and a scaled down, simplified minimap which you used to pan the zoomed out map around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJO3bOPG5do
(Can be seen here at 14:15 and 14:30)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Words of wisdom. Your uncle is awesome!

By the way, I've just finished Pirate! Doom and it was fantastic. I loved the light-heartedness and silliness of it all. Is there anything else like this?

If it's silly-but-solid Doom WADs that you're after, Mandrill rear end Project and Beyond Reality might fit the bill.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Dominic White posted:

If it's silly-but-solid Doom WADs that you're after, Mandrill rear end Project and Beyond Reality might fit the bill.

Thanks! Trying those two now, and while they're definitely entertaining, it's not entirely what I'm looking for. What I liked about Pirates! is that it transformed gritty Doom into a humorous cartoon. In a way, it reminded me of some of Blood's better levels: entertaining pastiches and homages that make the game feel like a cartoon. I've been thinking about giving Outlaws a try, since that seems to fit the bill, but can't find any way to get it running properly on OSX. :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If you like Duke3D there's always the Caribbean expansion. That was good fun.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I still think the Doom and Build maps are better. I like simplicity in my automaps. Maybe it's because I grew up on Doom, Duke, and Turok which all had bare-bones, color-coded vector maps. A nice bonus is of this system is being able to move around while the map is open.

Though if I remember right even vanilla Duke 3D maps had textured floors, which I always thought was a nice touch.

Edit: It would be nice if the maps showed switches or other areas of interest, but you can at least manually mark points on your map in Doom. Now that I think about it, the simple vector-style of map probably would not work very well in games with maps built from 90-degree wall blocks. Try to imagine the maps from Noah and Shadowcaster games above with vector lines. It'll be confusing because everything would look the same!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 4, 2013

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Anyone else having issues with the latest version of Reelism? I'm getting an 'unexpected end of archive' with Winrar from all dl mirrors.

e: Works now, thank you invisible person who fixes things!

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

Though if I remember right even vanilla Duke 3D maps had textured floors, which I always thought was a nice touch.
Yep. So did Doom 64, incidentally.

And Daggerfall. :laugh:

Mak0rz posted:

Edit: It would be nice if the maps showed switches or other areas of interest, but you can at least manually mark points on your map in Doom.

In ZDoom you can also mark spots on the automap as a modder. E.g. the shelters are indicated on the automap if you play TCOTD2: Apocalypse.