Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Does that mean she's gonna get kidnapped by the dragon?

I'm using a female arisen though. :catstare:

If the game decides you're going to be a lesbian then that's what you're gonna be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I had a female arisen (dragon forging stuff for my female pawn) and for kicks I decided to give my bond to a random female bandit at the all female bandit camp. It was weird cause either I didn't notice that the bandit was a good 3 feet taller then my arisen (she wasn't even short, she was normal size) or the bandit became huge for some reason at the end. It was weird at the end, especially the campfire scene :stare:

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I tried Dragon's Dogma today, after Dark Souls got me into western style JRPGs. My thoughts so far:

The title screen music is loving awesome and unexpected.

I don't quite know what I'm doing yet. In the tutorial, everyone was telling me things at the same time, along with the tutorial telling me what to do, as well as the joypad Zelda thing in the bottom listing different moves and changing when I press one of the shoulder buttons. That on top of the enemies that we kept running into gave me an information overload. Plus, when we finally fought the chimera, everyone kept saying what parts of the chimera to attack, and I couldn't tell if I was effectively hitting those parts. Not only that, but at one point, the boss' health seemed to stop going down for a while. I guess it doesn't matter, because I finally mashed my way to victory. I think the battle system can be fun, I just have to figure out what I'm doing.

The textures are kind of awful, and there's a lot of pop-in, but it's nothing I can't get used to.

Dragon's Dogma has potential, and I need to play more of it. I also need to get off of the Dark Souls mindset.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Snix posted:

Are you insane?

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I unironically like Crush 40, so probably.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Snix posted:

I tried Dragon's Dogma today, after Dark Souls got me into western style JRPGs. My thoughts so far:

I don't quite know what I'm doing yet. In the tutorial, everyone was telling me things at the same time, along with the tutorial telling me what to do, as well as the joypad Zelda thing in the bottom listing different moves and changing when I press one of the shoulder buttons. That on top of the enemies that we kept running into gave me an information overload. Plus, when we finally fought the chimera, everyone kept saying what parts of the chimera to attack, and I couldn't tell if I was effectively hitting those parts. Not only that, but at one point, the boss' health seemed to stop going down for a while. I guess it doesn't matter, because I finally mashed my way to victory. I think the battle system can be fun, I just have to figure out what I'm doing.

The textures are kind of awful, and there's a lot of pop-in, but it's nothing I can't get used to.

Dragon's Dogma has potential, and I need to play more of it. I also need to get off of the Dark Souls mindset.

Wait, wait wait.

Dragon's Dogma, or Dark Arisen? Because they have different title screen songs.

The original has the greatest song ever conceived by man, Dark Arisen has some stupid piano lament that doesn't get me jazzed up to stab some cyclops in the eye in the slightest.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

The original, I had no idea Dark Arisen was an enhanced version when I picked up Dragon's Dogma.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Well, you should get Dark Arisen, the new content is really nice, and it has pretty much all of the DLC for Dragon's Dogma folded into the regular campaign (but not placed in your storage right at the beginning).

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Man I must be lucky as hell, not only did I accidently spawn a cursed dragon but it dragonforged my framae daggers when they were only one star. I'm really liking BBI so far it's really creepy. I loving hate maneaters though holy poo poo haha.

E: So I have made up my mind that every chest in BBI is going to be opened by my pawns now and not me. I was wondering why none of them had been eaten yet and then I was passing through a zone I had cleared already when I hear Derant say "What's this?" and then I hear Ash say "Tis so small, it is no threat to us" and then I look at my minimap and Durant has already been eaten and the two other pawns are dead hahaha...

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 4, 2013

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The more things you kill in any location in BBI, the higher the chance a Necrophagus class monster will spawn in, this class type includes Cursed Dragons, Elder Ogres and Garms, and if you are really unlucky, Death himself will show up.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Someone just sent back my pawn wearing nothing but the silk lingerie. :crossarms:

Anyway, are any of the super spells worth it? They seem cool but take forever to cast, also if my pawn casts the tornado spell I can't see a loving thing half the time.

There is also an augment I can by that lowers stamina cost for magic, but the text seems vague, is it for all spells? Or just certain skills?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
You eventually get attunements that will shorten the cast time. The Wyrmking's ring further shortens it, too.

On top of that, the damage they do is insane, and Maelstrom can one or two shot most large monsters and deal with everything else in the area to boot.

And then deposits all the loot and corpses into one neat little pile. It's great. Use it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok then, guess I'll pick it up.

I assume the shorter cast time is a late sorceror augment, she's at 9 on that vocation and I don't see one yet, also maxed out mage as well.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lunimeow posted:

Man I must be lucky as hell, not only did I accidently spawn a cursed dragon but it dragonforged my framae daggers when they were only one star. I'm really liking BBI so far it's really creepy. I loving hate maneaters though holy poo poo haha.

E: So I have made up my mind that every chest in BBI is going to be opened by my pawns now and not me. I was wondering why none of them had been eaten yet and then I was passing through a zone I had cleared already when I hear Derant say "What's this?" and then I hear Ash say "Tis so small, it is no threat to us" and then I look at my minimap and Durant has already been eaten and the two other pawns are dead hahaha...

You don't know hatred for maneaters until you do a solo fighter run. I can't even farm Ur-Dragon wakestones to shrug off the deaths because I can't hit his wings. It's pretty pathetic considering they die in 2 Dragon's Maws and pose no threat whatsoever when I'm not locked into an "oh no, it's a maneater and I'm so surprised" animation. Maneaters aside, this solo fighter playthrough has been a ton of fun, has taught me a lot about enemies that I would never have noticed otherwise, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone. It isn't even that tough once you get past the initial bit.

Alteisen posted:

Someone just sent back my pawn wearing nothing but the silk lingerie. :crossarms:

Anyway, are any of the super spells worth it? They seem cool but take forever to cast, also if my pawn casts the tornado spell I can't see a loving thing half the time.

There is also an augment I can by that lowers stamina cost for magic, but the text seems vague, is it for all spells? Or just certain skills?

Maelstrom, Bolide, Gicel, and sometimes Fulmination are all incredible on a player sorcerer. I don't much care for them on pawns though. Visibility issues aside, they constantly cancel their long casts when they don't need to, and will spend an age charging up a Grand Gicel to kill a single hobgoblin. I think pawns are way better off with mid tier spells like Frigor and Comestion, which are still really good. Pawn sorcerers can also do alright with the upper tier spells if you yourself are a sorcerer, since they have the ability to piggyback mimic your casts when you get close to finishing one, allowing them to bypass a huge chunk of the cast time. But I find it hard to make room for another sorcerer, since I tend to want a support mage and tank fighter. That leaves one slot, which I prefer using for some more physical damage via ranger or strider.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 4, 2013

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

If you were wanting to play a sorcerer Arisen, what sort of vocations would you consider taking throughout the game - straight mage to sorcerer or some kind of hybrid? And what kind of pawn would be best?

I'm kind of curious because if I play through the game again from the beginning that's the path I'd like to take, as I'm avoiding the magic classes for both the Arisen and the main pawn in my current (first) playthrough.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
If you're gonna min/max, 10 mage then sorc to 200. Only thing you really be missing is the weaker magic boost from mage.

Otherwise, mage till you're ready to move to sorc and then stay the course.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Re: Salomet, I forgot it was part of the main quest. I was thinking of the side event to get the grimoire, but i've just remembered that if you do this first that side-NPC will come help you out in the fight.

Is there any augments that make the "waggle stick" QTE's any easier? I can win against mimic chests...just about, if I get lucky, but I can never beat stuff like the Minotaur guys power slam and so on.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Started Dragons Dogma, traded it int for Dark Arisen when I learnt DA was basically the same, but with more. Game seems pretty good so far: just delivered the Hydra head to teh DUke. Haven't seen a reason to give anyone a gift so far. Beat the giant in the Everfall when it ran off teh stairs and died :allears:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Thievery posted:

Re: Salomet, I forgot it was part of the main quest. I was thinking of the side event to get the grimoire, but i've just remembered that if you do this first that side-NPC will come help you out in the fight.

Is there any augments that make the "waggle stick" QTE's any easier? I can win against mimic chests...just about, if I get lucky, but I can never beat stuff like the Minotaur guys power slam and so on.

Egression, a fighter augment, allows you to escape with half as much waggling. It's not bad for BBI, though normally I carry a bunch of wakestones and have hundreds more in storage from Ur, so I'd rather just take the rare death by QTE here and there than waste a precious augment slot.

PrinnySquadron posted:

Started Dragons Dogma, traded it int for Dark Arisen when I learnt DA was basically the same, but with more. Game seems pretty good so far: just delivered the Hydra head to teh DUke. Haven't seen a reason to give anyone a gift so far. Beat the giant in the Everfall when it ran off teh stairs and died :allears:

As a bonus, you get some benefits for having an original DD save. Namely, an infinite use ferrystone.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Thievery posted:

I'm pretty sure all those qtes except for the ones against The Dragon are impossible unless you pause to use healing items during them.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

If you're on PSN and would like a Wyrmking's Ring, add Mr_Dread and mention in the friend request that you want the ring Claimed by Irony.or.Death. Also,

doctor 7 posted:

Are you insane?

Dude I will fight you, I feel like letting go I am the dangaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

titties fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 5, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Bakalakadaka posted:

I'm pretty sure all those qtes except for the ones against The Dragon are impossible unless you pause to use healing items during them.

Depends on how much HP you have. I didn't enter BBI until lvl 100 and I never had any trouble with them.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Bakalakadaka posted:

Once you've built up some health, they're not too bad. The trick is roll the stick in a circular motion, rather than just wiggling it back and forth.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!

Defiant Sally posted:

Holy gently caress that last boss fight was sick as hell, and immediately I get thrown into the Everfall and have to fight a goddamn Beholder which stones two of my pawns instantly. The real Dragon's Dogma starts here.

Should I be doing Everfall or BBI at this point? I'm level 48ish, spent most of my time as a Fighter/MK but just discovered my love for the MA class. I'm guessing these weapons I got from finishing the storyline are better than the dragon forged ones I have now? The stat jump as fuckin huge.

I checked this and my pawn is available to everyone, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't show up unless Im an idiot and typed my GT wrong on the sheet.

Do Everfall until you clear all the floors and defeat the offline Ur Dragon at least once. That should give you a decent weapon and enough wakestones to challenge the starter areas of BBI until you can gear up there.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Haha, someone just sent my pawn back with a ton of Dragonforged Abyssinal gear and rated her highly even though she had to be useless (I was playing with her vocation and forgot to re-set her skills when I changed her back to Strider). Was that one of you? If so, you're awesome :allears:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

titties posted:

It might have been missed before, so I'll offer it up one more time: if you're on PSN and would like a Wyrmking's Ring, add Mr_Dread and mention in the friend request that you want the ring.

Just sent you a request, in case this is still available; Creepies on PSN.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Started game as fighter, switched to Assassin (which I really enjoy playing)

I Maxed out Assassin Vocation, should I switch to something else now? Feels like I would be missing out on by not improving a different vocation

Tried going back to fighter briefly, but man, it feels so slow compared to the double jumping, dodging, sprinting assassin

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sounds like you'd like Strider or Ranger. Both have the double jump and dodge that Assassin has.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Fighter and Warrior have some really great augments (+10% strength, extending "very light" weight class by 20, 25% reduced weapon skill stamina costs, +20% strength), and while they don't quite have the strength/stamina gains of an assassin, their stat growths are still pretty good. I'd say it's worth maxing them out. They definitely are slower classes, but they're fun in their own way.

There are a couple items that can greatly speed up vocation ranks, but one of them is in the post-game, and while you can get the other immediately after the tutorial, doing it at lower levels kinda requires you to know exactly where you're going as you sprint past everything in early BBI.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 4, 2013

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Whew... well I just finished my first run of BBI. That last boss music... didn't fit at all hahahaha. What was the deal with him calling her mother? Anyways I found it kind of weird that I found the condemned gorecyclops to be harder than the daimon but oh well.

I'm not sure if I should run through another playthrough or try post daimon, I was having some serious issues with the magic only enemys and i could hardly scratch death even with holy pact.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Lunimeow posted:

Whew... well I just finished my first run of BBI. That last boss music... didn't fit at all hahahaha. What was the deal with him calling her mother? Anyways I found it kind of weird that I found the condemned gorecyclops to be harder than the daimon but oh well.

I'm not sure if I should run through another playthrough or try post daimon, I was having some serious issues with the magic only enemys and i could hardly scratch death even with holy pact.

Daimon's boss music is the best in the entire game and I'll stand by that forever. :colbert:, seriously though its cool how his fight theme is basically a more intense version of the music that plays around Olra.

EDIT: At least its not generic butt rock as well.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

EDIT: At least its not generic butt rock as well.

wait what I'm not getting DA anymore

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Where's the easiest for the "Scout the Shadow Fort" with Mercedes? I went to go through Devilfire Grove, but a Dragon ambushed me, killed Mercedes and then killed me.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Is there anything I should do before The Final Battle? I have no idea who my love interest is, and I don't care. I just don't want to miss anything major.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Coughing Hobo posted:

Wait, wait wait.

Dragon's Dogma, or Dark Arisen? Because they have different title screen songs.

The original has the greatest song ever conceived by man, Dark Arisen has some stupid piano lament that doesn't get me jazzed up to stab some cyclops in the eye in the slightest.

Huh? The title screen music in Dark Arisen is the best music in the game. Sometimes I sing along.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
I like the DA title music and the music around olra. The music for the boss didn't sound bad, it just sounded more like end credits music that boss music (they also used it as end credits music).

I am getting totally hosed up by flyers, I think I really need a new bow. I'm using a dragonforged fey whisper right now. Also is the L3 bitterblack armor without a doubt the best armor? It seems like it right now, I just have the pants though. I also got a hellfire cloak which seems to be awesome so i gave my pawn my sovereigns mantle.

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 4, 2013

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

titties posted:

Dude I will fight you, I feel like letting go I am the dangaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

oh, I thought Dragon's Dogma and Dark Arisen had the same title music.

I've never heard the Dragon's Dogma title music but the Dark Arisen title music is just loving terrible.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PrinnySquadron posted:

Where's the easiest for the "Scout the Shadow Fort" with Mercedes? I went to go through Devilfire Grove, but a Dragon ambushed me, killed Mercedes and then killed me.

Where's the easiest? Easiest what?

Route? There isn't one, you went through you had to, you just happen to bump into the drake.

The only other thing you can do is either kill the drake or book it past him, drop the port crystal in front of the fort, ferrystone out of there and then bring back Mercedes via another ferrystone.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Ether that or if you have been through the Ancient mines you can go through there, I found that much more easy before I had portcrystals down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Where's the easiest? Easiest what?

Route? There isn't one, you went through you had to, you just happen to bump into the drake.

The only other thing you can do is either kill the drake or book it past him, drop the port crystal in front of the fort, ferrystone out of there and then bring back Mercedes via another ferrystone.

Yeah, I meant route, sorry. Well, that sucks. I spotted it a little way off but it bought it up a quest thing so I tried in vain to fight it - i managed to stab it in the heart once.

• Locked thread