Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I just had a major flashback. The NES version of Super Mario Bros. 3 is a Club Nintendo reward at the moment and I hadn't played it since I rented it as a kid, so I downloaded it, and when the title screen came up it's like I was transported back to 1993 when Mario and Lugi appeared on the screen and I knew I had got my NES to work for the first time. I can see why you guys do what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I just had a major flashback. The NES version of Super Mario Bros. 3 is a Club Nintendo reward at the moment and I hadn't played it since I rented it as a kid, so I downloaded it, and when the title screen came up it's like I was transported back to 1993 when Mario and Lugi appeared on the screen and I knew I had got my NES to work for the first time. I can see why you guys do what you do.

I find the order of awesome from most to least is thus.
Playing on the actual console (all in ones might count I have no experience with that).
Playing on an emulator with a ps2 controller because it has enough buttons to perfectly be SNES (and a good NES).
Playing on an emulator with just keyboard (hey at least it's something).

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Keyboard Kid posted:

Wrong. You should be able to use the NES power adapter just fine.

Awesome, thanks for the picture. A winner is you!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
For anyone not in the mood to cannibalize 2 Genesis controllers this site has badass Zero Tolerance system link cables back in stock again. Mine works perfectly and is built surprisingly well. The original/official/legit cable is just a cable with 2 controller ends and rare as hell. This one is a bagillion times cheaper and you get a bonus picture of the game on the thing itself.

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=84

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

wa27 posted:

I ended up winning this auction just now. Probably paid too much, but I'm just dying to know what this controller is. Anyone have any idea?

Not the Star Raiders one. It's the black box with four white buttons and one red button. Almost looks like a homemade controller with buttons in place of a d-pad/analog stick? Seller describes it as "1 ARCADE LIKE CONTROLLER"

I figured out what this is. It's the "KY Fingertip Controller" :wtc:. The buttons act as the four way joystick directions like I thought. It's kind of like the Starplex controller, designed for playing Asteroids or other games that map irregular controls to the joystick.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

This is me living that dream every time I fire up one of my consoles, which is quite often. It rules. It rules even more on weekends, where at least one of my brothers and/or best friend stop by and we get some multiplayer shenanigans going on. Wasn't really retro last Saturday since we played Mario Party 9 in a drunken stupor, but the week before that my middle brother and I mashed through Streets of Rage 2, and the week before that River City Ransom. It's like being 9 years old again renting a beat-em-up from the local Hastings or non-franchised video rental place.

My brother kind of stopped caring about video games around the PS2 era, because he wasn't a big fan of longer games with increasingly complex controller schemes, but loves going back to them old consoles for his gaming fix. He doesn't collect old consoles though as it isn't his primary interest (he mostly dabbles with PC hardware even though he doesn't PC game that much either), but he seems to like that I have all this stuff instead, mostly so he doesn't have be the guy to maintain it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
That's an enviable thing to be able to do. I just hope your consoles last. I always favour digital versions of games (Nintendo are excellent with accurate emulation) because I like permanence. They can't break and I can always redeem them again if something goes wrong.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

That's an enviable thing to be able to do. I just hope your consoles last. I always favour digital versions of games (Nintendo are excellent with accurate emulation) because I like permanence.

Thankfully pretty much everything made without a disk drive is essentially immortal with some basic cleaning and emergency soldering skills. It'll be a sad thing when the day comes there's not a functional Sega CD left in the world, but my gameboys and nintendo consoles will never die.

Edit: except the virtual boy. There's not a good way to unfuck that system, but then again even a fully working one is hosed, so...

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 4, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I'm not as familiar with the interworkings of disc-based consoles as I am cartridge, but cartridge-based consoles are pretty much nigh-invulnerable and low-maintenance. The NES I've had for the past 25 years is still working like a champ, and I have three in reserve in the off-chance it finally does break down on me. Not having any moving parts seems to do wonders for those kind of platforms.

I really need to learn more about disc-based systems and how to keep their maintenance up that doesn't just involve changing out fuses.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Vegastar posted:

Edit: except the virtual boy. There's not a good way to unfuck that system, but then again even a fully working one is hosed, so...

It can and is done regularly...

http://www.projectvb.com/displayfix.html

Also, the VB is a great system, albeit a misunderstood one.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Vegastar posted:

Thankfully pretty much everything made without a disk drive is essentially immortal with some basic cleaning and emergency soldering skills. It'll be a sad thing when the day comes there's not a functional Sega CD left in the world, but my gameboys and nintendo consoles will never die.

Even the disk drive issue could eventually be solved with an optical drive emulator, though yes the original discs couldn't be played.

Carts will eventually fail. Mask ROM is the most durable of the types of ROM but even so it's just made of transistors like any other chip, and transistors can fail; though it's more likely the chips doing work in any given retro console will die first. The lifetime is still limited - hot carrier injects, dielectric breakdown, and electromigration can all happen to the NMOS/CMOS transistors and traces. At least one person has had a cart fail on them.

Most PROMs are basically flash memory and will eventually get bit-rot, though they're seen more in arcade boards and prototype carts but there are examples of some retail games using PROM.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

As far as we know, have there been any verified "lost" games? Like, some random obscure Apple I game that we know for a fact existed (and was commercially released) but all known disk copies are no longer readable?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Me and my old roommate Shane created our own version of Video Armageddon back when we were bumming it up looking for game jobs in the Bay Area. We each picked two games for each other to compete in (Double Dragon, Rad Racer, Ninja Gaiden and something else), and predictably it was tied 2-2 after that, so the final competition was seeing who could get to a warp whistle first in Super Mario Bros. 3, as in the film.

I lost because I forgot that you could skip over mushroom houses. :smith: Now Shane does a bunch of fancy stuff at SCE and I'm just a freelance translator/bum.

(We also played Board Game Top Shop for hours on end.)

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 4, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Now Shane does a bunch of fancy stuff at SCE

That's what you get when you have Video Armageddon Champion on your resume.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I never got what was supposed to be so terrible about the Virtual Boy aside from ergonomics. Alright it was monochrome but it was also loving 3D.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I never got what was supposed to be so terrible about the Virtual Boy aside from ergonomics. Alright it was monochrome but it was also loving 3D.

It was expensive as all hell ($200 or something in 1995 money), the ergonomics you mentioned, plus the intensity of the red color made it crazy headache-enducing for most of its users. And, well, 3D is pretty "meh" for most people.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
But the games!

http://youtu.be/3q_mgIlN0_Q

:stare:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

A little late on the favorite GBA discussion, but I had one of these in 2004-2005:

I loved this thing. I accidentally left it on a plane in a case with all my games and the airline couldn't find it afterward. Still haven't forgiven myself.

I switched mine out with the screen of an ags101. It's badass.

Also at the thrift store today found castle of illusion cib, legacy of illusion, jurassic park snes and home alone 2.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

univbee posted:

As far as we know, have there been any verified "lost" games? Like, some random obscure Apple I game that we know for a fact existed (and was commercially released) but all known disk copies are no longer readable?

That probably depends on your definition of disk copy - there's lots out there that all original legit disks are missing, but pirated versions, often with cracks applied, are freely available due to the fact that nearly everything went up on a pirate BBS at one time or another.

(I'm assuming you meant Apple II incidentally, as the Apple I didn't really have any premade software available, due to lack of disk drives as well as lack of a reliable cassette storage standard)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

univbee posted:

Probably not what you're imagining, but there have been games that were commercially released and then "discovered" years later:
http://www.pcmuseum.ca/extraterrestrials.asp
But I don't know of anything except prototypes and unreleased things that people know exist but can't find.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

I know this is far from what you meant but it's been verified there's a Killer Instinct 2 for the SNES out there, and no one has unearthed it yet.

That game looks awesome. Anyone (zenintrude) know if it's any good?

zenintrude posted:

It can and is done regularly...

http://www.projectvb.com/displayfix.html

Also, the VB is a great system, albeit a misunderstood one.

That oven trick only lasts so long. And the use of acid to burn away the ribbon cable seems nuts to me. Even then, you're just soldering tiny individual lines. Why not just get rid of the cable completely at that point and just solder wire directly to the Virtual Boy from the LEDs?

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm not as familiar with the interworkings of disc-based consoles as I am cartridge, but cartridge-based consoles are pretty much nigh-invulnerable and low-maintenance. The NES I've had for the past 25 years is still working like a champ, and I have three in reserve in the off-chance it finally does break down on me. Not having any moving parts seems to do wonders for those kind of platforms.

I really need to learn more about disc-based systems and how to keep their maintenance up that doesn't just involve changing out fuses.

Eh, I don't give console makers a pass just because their consoles have moving parts. The Gamecube has moving parts and that thing is built like a tank. PSones also seem ridiculously reliable (the actual PSones though, PS1s were pretty faulty in the beginning).

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

That game looks awesome. Anyone (zenintrude) know if it's any good?

It's much more interesting game than people seem to give it credit for. At the time it came out, a lot of people got excited and imported it based on screenshots that led them to believe that it would be the VB's answer to Doom... and aside from utilizing a first person perspective, it doesn't have much in common with id's FPS which led to a lot of disappointment and negative opinions.

I'd say that the best way to describe it would be a Time Attack Resident Evil + Shadowgate; you have limited time and ammo with which to collect keys, kill or avoid enemies, and find the exit to each gridded level. It's one of the most sought after VB titles, but shouldn't set you back over $100... I'd suggest picking up a copy of Space Squash over Innsmouth no Yakata if you want to buy one of the rarer JP-only VB titles, unless you're a big horror fan, in which case Innsmouth will probably provide a neat insight into the evolution of survival horror.

Here's a decent review of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imDMuFiN7vo

[edit] The guys at Planet VB have been working on a level editor for the game, which you can use to make custom roms for your Flashboy+: http://www.planetvb.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=370

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 4, 2013

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

Eh, I don't give console makers a pass just because their consoles have moving parts. The Gamecube has moving parts and that thing is built like a tank. PSones also seem ridiculously reliable (the actual PSones though, PS1s were pretty faulty in the beginning).

Alternatively, I have at least 7 fat PS1's and a single PSone, and the PSone already has the CD drive death click. The fats will die pretty fast if you're a bad disc-swapper though

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Regardless, I do want to get around to learning how to repair those consoles beyond electrical issues. I know nothing about the laser assembly of a CD/DVD drive, for instance. One of these days, I need to learn how to fix/replace in case something comes up.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

(We also played Board Game Top Shop for hours on end.)

Nobody believes me when I try to tell them this game can start almost as many fights as Mario Party.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

univbee posted:

I think the majority of early teletype games that pre-date home computers are probably gone, as are most of the MUDs (and just about anything else that ran on university servers). As far as physical disks sold in stores...just given the nature of how these things were sold back in the old days (Zip-Lock bags hand-delivered to local computer stores by their authors), we've surely lost a ton of stuff forever.

I'm pretty sure some arcade games haven't been found yet too. And I know for sure that Underground Gamer's project to document every MS-DOS game is missing a few titles, but the site seems to be down...

As far as like, console stuff? Yeah, I'm sure a ton of unlicensed/foreign tiny little games are still lost. Like someone said earlier, we're still finding Atari 2600 games we didn't know existed. There are even Famicom games that haven't materialized yet: http://magweasel.com/2010/06/28/fujiya-thinking-games-v1-0/

I wouldn't be surprised if we've lost a lot of Korean computer games too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of Korean computer games, there was a PC version of Lunar Silver Star Story released in Korea. I've only known one person who actually owns it.

I can only imagine how many licensed/unlicensed yet still distributed PC versions of console games were developed in other countries.

e: I know about the PC version in Japan, but this box was specifically for Korean distribution.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 4, 2013

InvadErGII
May 29, 2008

I know this is far from what you meant but it's been verified there's a Killer Instinct 2 for the SNES out there, and no one has unearthed it yet.

What's the story on this? I'm curious how it can be verified if no one's ever seen it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

InvadErGII posted:

What's the story on this? I'm curious how it can be verified if no one's ever seen it.

It was in Retro Gamer Issue 84; they had a huge piece on Rare. Chris Tilston from Rare confirms it, too.

Speaking of which, some cool Killer Instinct stuff from tcrf.net:

this is somewhere deep in the arcade ROM. Obviously a preliminary title.

TJ Combo's alternate stage was actually in the Game Boy KI ROM but it was deleted for some reason, even though it's fully functional and has its own music.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 4, 2013

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

It was in Retro Gamer Issue 84; they had a huge piece on Rare. Chris Tilston from Rare confirms it, too.

Don't get me started on unreleased games that haven't been located yet.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TheRedEye posted:

Where is Earthbound 64DD, Nintendo!? t:mad:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TheRedEye posted:

I didn't even like KI2 that much compared to the original and yet I would do anything to see that SNES port. I can imagine what your life must be like. :cripes:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

TheRedEye posted:

Someday we'll all be able to play Yeah Yeah Beebiss I. I know it. :unsmith:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JordanKai posted:

Where is Earthbound 64DD, Nintendo!? t:mad:

At least we got to play the much better looking GBA version. I'd love to see what the supposedly much darker ending of the N64 version was.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Let me guess, it was canceled because the N64 was coming out?

That makes two sequels that didn't see the light of day because N64 was right around the corner (despite being delayed by a year).

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

al-azad posted:

Let me guess, it was canceled because the N64 was coming out?

That makes two sequels that didn't see the light of day because N64 was right around the corner (despite being delayed by a year).

I still find it crazy, to this day, that Nintendo canceled finished or near finished games simply because new hardware was coming out soon.

It just seems like bad business.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

fatpat268 posted:

I still find it crazy, to this day, that Nintendo canceled finished or near finished games simply because new hardware was coming out soon.

It just seems like bad business.

It makes me wonder how Donkey Kong Country 3 managed to get released at all. I mean, wasn't that game released around the same time as the N64 proper?

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

It makes me wonder how Donkey Kong Country 3 managed to get released at all. I mean, wasn't that game released around the same time as the N64 proper?

Try Kirby's Adventure on the NES. 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Iron Soul posted:

Try Kirby's Adventure on the NES. 1993.

Wario's Woods and StarTropics 2 were released in 1994. :smuggo:

• Locked thread