Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This movie is going to kick a tremendous amount of rear end. I loved the first one in spite of its flaws and that new costume is loving glorious. I think Electro looks great and Giamatti is perfect for Rhino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here's a neat shot from the ASM2 set, looks like this is part of a mo-cap rig for Rhino

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
Whatever the gently caress it is that they're going with there, I'm down for it.

Edit: His smile belongs on box art for a 1980's supernatural horror film.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'd absolutely play a Spider-Man dating sim. Decisions like studying with Gwen or partying with MJ, saving up for a motorcycle, picking out yellow turtlenecks for dates.

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!
Looks like Rhino is going to be in a big mech suit.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Unmature posted:

I'd absolutely play a Spider-Man dating sim. Decisions like studying with Gwen or partying with MJ, saving up for a motorcycle, picking out yellow turtlenecks for dates.

This is no poo poo the best superhero game idea I've ever seen. It's brilliant. Thwart Shocker's latest bank robbery in time for a date at a Broadway play with MJ. It's loving perfect.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

This is no poo poo the best superhero game idea I've ever seen. It's brilliant. Thwart Shocker's latest bank robbery in time for a date at a Broadway play with MJ. It's loving perfect.

....didn't that exact scenario happen in the Spider-Man 2 game? :D

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

futureproof posted:

Looks like Rhino is going to be in a big mech suit.

He loving better be.

Medullah posted:

....didn't that exact scenario happen in the Spider-Man 2 game? :D

Yes but this time it'd be made with DIALOGUE CHOICES!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You want the authentic Peter Parker experience encapsulated in a video game? That's exactly how you do it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
This will be my favorite superhero movie if we see Peter in a yellow turtleneck.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/177251-new-set-photos-for-the-amazing-spider-man-2-reveal-big-plot-point

Plot spoiler photos in the link. Peter and Gwen are graduating high school in the next film.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ha ha of COURSE Gwen is the valedictorian and as usual Andrew Garfield is at least giving Peter some personality instead of the stonewall Tobey Maguire gave us

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Whatever the gently caress it is that they're going with there, I'm down for it.

Edit: His smile belongs on box art for a 1980's supernatural horror film.
I believe the Ultimate universe version of Rhino is a dude in a mechanical suit.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Some new pics and a set video of Gwen's grad speech, all pretty spoilery:
http://i.imgur.com/I7HnXVN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2sXGP4h.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=D-Mg1sp1hRU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe the Ultimate universe version of Rhino is a dude in a mechanical suit.

Pretty much

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

he went down like a chump too, but then that seems to be par for the course with Rhino in recent media

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Well he came back to fight Miles and went down pretty crazy that time.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah I'm pretty sure Miles murdered Rhino and nobody told him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahaha, holy poo poo. This is so goofy.

If I wasn't already sold on seeing this, I would be after this :allears:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Off-topic but can anyone explain to me why some people disliked the first TASM movie? I liked it and liked Andrew Garfield's portrayal. The action felt more "spidery" if that even means anything - I saw more creative fight moves. The plot is straight-forward too.

I always see some weird nerd hatred towards it, so I just wanna know where that comes from.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

Off-topic but can anyone explain to me why some people disliked the first TASM movie? I liked it and liked Andrew Garfield's portrayal. The action felt more "spidery" if that even means anything - I saw more creative fight moves. The plot is straight-forward too.

I always see some weird nerd hatred towards it, so I just wanna know where that comes from.

Go back to page 64 or so and see the post that the thread title came from.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo. This is so goofy.

If I wasn't already sold on seeing this, I would be after this :allears:

I love how in these shots, Gwen is a all together and graceful, while Peter is just a flailing mess.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I think it was because Peter wore skinny jeans, had cool hair, and rode a skateboard, they thought he was too cool/hipstery and not "nerdy" enough. Stupid bullshit like that, pretty much.

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 4, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just read that one post.

quote:

Even the most basic attempts at creating a sense of danger would have made a huge difference. Show the lizard/Curt Connors looking at a map of the school area while zooming into his face/eyes, cross cut to Peter Parker talking to Gwen Stacy at the school, cut back to the lizard running through the sewers while speaking out Peter Parkers name in a villainy way, cut back to Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy whose conversation starts to become more intimate when suddenly Peters spider sense goes crazy.

Is this is serious? He looks at the camera, sees that it's Parker's, then goes after him at the school. Pretty easy to follow...

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

I feel its a poorly put-together script that is then extremely chopped up (the ending is a succession of concessions to audience testing).
It serves up texture extremely well (Andrew Garfield looks and fights like a Mark Bagley Spider-Man many of us grown up with, he does jokes, Emma Stone is great, their chemistry is amazing, etc) which is why I think people take to it so much.
That being said, I think it fouls up Spider-Man basics so bad (Peter Parker would never go "the best promises are the ones you break" that is straight-up vile and the entire opposite of the character) on top of other stuff-it sinks the movie for me. To be fair, a lot of the terrible choices (and subsequent plot-chopping) is a side-effect of being a reboot/wanting to be different from the previous version, which nails the basics better than this movie did.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yannick_B posted:

That being said, I think it fouls up Spider-Man basics so bad (Peter Parker would never go "the best promises are the ones you break" that is straight-up vile and the entire opposite of the character) on top of other stuff-it sinks the movie for me.

I've always thought that the core of Spiderman is doing the right thing no matter what and in that point the movie delivers.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Yannick_B posted:

(Peter Parker would never go "the best promises are the ones you break" that is straight-up vile and the entire opposite of the character)

He's just saying that because he knows he can't keep the promise he made and he wants her to know, not like its some concrete ideal he lives by. There is nothing vile about it and it's perfectly within character.

Parker, at least in Ultimate Spider-Man, isn't some paragon of virtue. He's not flawless. He has ideals, but he's still just a kid in high school who is put in a lot of situations that dump an unfair amount of responsibility onto him.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 4, 2013

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I've always thought that the core of Spiderman is doing the right thing no matter what and in that point the movie delivers.

He's not doing the right thing no matter what though, he's clearly saying he will break a promise to keep her safe by staying away from her.
I think they could have presented that idea in another way, but presented that way, its the opposite of Spider-Man. NOW, that is pretty much
how the first movie ended, so I understand those guys going "we have to end it in another way, because we have to be different" and
they undoubtedly had focus groups telling them they love Garfield and Stone together. Its a tough spot they were in, but the solution
they came up with did not work for me and unravelled the entire thing.

DFu4ever posted:

He's just saying that because he knows he can't keep the promise he made and he wants her to know, not like its some concrete ideal he lives by. There is nothing vile about it and it's perfectly within character.

Its only within the character if the character is "a guy that barely learned anything"--because thats what its showing! A Spider-Man story is more "I'll keep this promise, even though its going to be a drag, because I'm crazy about this girl." rather than "You know what, maybe we'll be dating eventually anyways!". Again, its terribly tacked-on. If you gave that crew a chance to redo that ending, they probably would.

DFu4ever posted:

Parker, at least in Ultimate Spider-Man, isn't some paragon of virtue. He's not flawless. He has ideals, but he's still just a kid in high school who is put in a lot of situations that dump an unfair amount of responsibility onto him.

True, but any single part of Ultimate Spider-Man (which this movie borrows A LOT from) is better than that movie. Any plot point or idea they took from it, was better set-up, explained or motivated.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Peter and MJ break up/make up multiple times throughout Ultimate Spidey solely because he's wishy-washy with his stance on having her close to him. They consistently get back together because he can never stay firm on that stance. It got especially old when they had him do it the third time while dating Kitty Pryde, because those two actually made a really entertaining pair.

At least the movie has him realize pretty quickly that it was a promise he couldn't keep, and not to mention the entire concept (in both the comics and movies) being hilariously unfair to the character (although Kitty Pryde was a great fix to the problem since she was able to take care of herself, yet they still ended up back to the status quo).

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The promise was dumb in the first place and his Aunt kinda made him change his mind about by saying he was a good person.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

A lot of people didn't hate it but just thought it was boring and pointless. A retelling of an origin story that had been told 8 different times in the past ten years spread across various media that was different, but not different enough to be remarkable, along with not particularly excelling in any visceral aspects over the best of existing action films (Spider-man 1, as flawed as it was at the time, did give us the first filmic-special effects of Spider-man actually doing something, which was exciting at the time, and was directed more generally vibrant than any other concurrent superhero movie, in comparison).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The promise was dumb and Captain Stacy is super duper dumb. The "reason" he died wasn't because he got close to Peter or something, it was because he was a police officer fighting a lizard monster.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I can also see that promising coming back to bite him in the rear end. Well him breaking the promise and the guilt that might entail.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Darko posted:

A lot of people didn't hate it but just thought it was boring and pointless. A retelling of an origin story that had been told 8 different times in the past ten years spread across various media that was different, but not different enough to be remarkable, along with not particularly excelling in any visceral aspects over the best of existing action films (Spider-man 1, as flawed as it was at the time, did give us the first filmic-special effects of Spider-man actually doing something, which was exciting at the time, and was directed more generally vibrant than any other concurrent superhero movie, in comparison).

Yeah this pretty much sums up my feelings on the movie. Now that all the origin crap is out of the way, here's hoping part 2 is better. Hopefully Webb figured some things out on the first one and has more confidence and a stronger vision this time.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

bobkatt013 posted:

I can also see that promising coming back to bite him in the rear end. Well him breaking the promise and the guilt that might entail.

Let's be honest, doing something stupid and then feeling guilty/beating himself up forever after about it, is as much a part of spiderman as the web slinging.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

PaganGoatPants posted:

I really like Andrew Garfield but Peter Parker was really badly written for TASM and it's obvious he tried the best he could with what he got.

Raimi's films weren't amazing but they did a pretty good job of portraying how Peter Parker evolves as a character in the first film. The Peter we get at the end has got confidence, a sense of responsibility and what he does makes sense in terms of the character's motivations. I don't think there is really any kind of character arc in TASM as Peter is already more or less Spiderman from the beginning and he already has the confidence to challenge flash. I felt like TASM is just a spectacle where the film holds your hand and takes you from set-piece to set-piece. Also is it ever explained why Gwen Stacey is interested in Peter? It was fairly hard to get a sense of what drives any of the characters besides the Doctor.

I haven't seen it in a while though so I'm going to re-watch it tonight I think.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

I really like Andrew Garfield but Peter Parker was really badly written for TASM and it's obvious he tried the best he could with what he got.

Raimi's films weren't amazing but they did a pretty good job of portraying how Peter Parker evolves as a character in the first film. The Peter we get at the end has got confidence, a sense of responsibility and what he does makes sense in terms of the character's motivations. I don't think there is really any kind of character arc in TASM as Peter is already more or less Spiderman from the beginning and he already has the confidence to challenge flash. I felt like TASM is just a spectacle where the film holds your hand and takes you from set-piece to set-piece. Also is it ever explained why Gwen Stacey is interested in Peter? It was fairly hard to get a sense of what drives any of the characters besides the Doctor.

I haven't seen it in a while though so I'm going to re-watch it tonight I think.

His intelligence, his confidence, probably that they're both smart nerds in a school that isn't full of them so there's a kinship there.

Ironically, what you said about Gwen and Peter is what I'd say about Peter and MJ in Raimi films. At least with Gwen, they actually talked to each other and seemed to respect eachother and be friends before they started dating. MJ pretty much never gave Peter the time of day until she found out he was Spider-Man.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

I rewatched Raimi's Spider-Man (RSM) last week and... ouch, that film has not aged well at all. The cheese is so moldy I needed a tox screen by the end, Toby Maguire's rubbery acting and the complete lack of chemistry between him and Kirsten Dunst (and, separately, between Peter and MJ as written) are nearly painful to sit through and make the on-paper evolution of Peter's character difficult to connect with because of how desperately uncharismatic they are. And while I remember being awed by the action the first time around, in comparison to what ASM did for Spidey's fight choreography and personality during action scenes, most of RSM's action has not withstood the test of time. It was impressive then because nobody had done any better, but now it's as exciting as a playground slapfight.

In retrospect, ASM hardly feels boring or pointless because it corrected a lot of RSM's mistakes; it's more wiping the slate clean and getting it right with a do-over than simply treading worn ground.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I keep saying that but people have some mighty thick rose-tinted goggles on when it comes to the Raimi flicks, and while there's plenty of charming moments they really don't eclipse ASM by much if at all.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I guess everyone that reads the comic takes something different from them. To me, Garfield's Peter Parker, seemed a lot more like I envisioned him than Mcguires. I prefer TASM to Raimi's. it seems way more grounded to me, and I'm excited for two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I saw TASM a little while ago and didn't like it at all. Didn't like the skateboarding, brooding Peter with cool hair, didn't like the muddy, dull color scheme and didn't like how it took forever to get to the loving Spiderman part. I like the Raimi version, I'll admit it. Mcguire's Peter Parker was dorky, awkward and smart mouthed, Willam Dafoe was hammy and nasty, and Whats-her-name looked the part anyway. The third movie sucked but the first two did a good job of translating the look and feel of the comics while being colorful and entertaining. Nothing really special, but fun. I was totally bored with the new one, and cringed at a lot of the bad lines they gave Dennis Leary. The bits at the beginning with peter's parents seemed to have no bearing on the rest of the movie, or maybe I just forgot. Overall I found it dull and plodding, and The Lizard looked stupid. Why did they make him look like a Goomba from the Mario Bros movie instead of like The Lizard? This has probably already been said so apologies if it's just annoying rehash like this movie.

• Locked thread