Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Even if Dungeon Crawler doesn't work in raids it's still going to be the more desirable option. Raid Leader's +1 card size is very clear and you can directly imagine how useful it's going to be. Good, but not spectacular. I mean, there's no cooldown on raids, right? What's stopping you from mulliganing and then forfeiting until you get a good opening hand?

I assume they're going to balance around that. I think they said somewhere that most raids are going to consist of multiple stages - I can imagine getting a new opening hand with each stage, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

pumpinglemma posted:

I assume they're going to balance around that. I think they said somewhere that most raids are going to consist of multiple stages - I can imagine getting a new opening hand with each stage, for example.

This. If the good stuff drops on state 6, relying on mulligans is a terrible idea, as it'll presumably take some time to get to that stage and restarting the entire raid to get a good hand on that one fight seems terrible.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Dungeon Crawler doesn't work in Raids, no. But there are multiple minibosses in dungeons that Dungeon Crawler does work on, so it's not just the one boss of the dungeon you get double loot from.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Question I haven't seen on the Collector tier:

Will the six alternate-art Collector cards per year be from alternate sets? i.e., will we get two extra cards from each of the three yearly sets, or like six cards from Set 1 and six from Set 4 in year 2, or what?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
That's what people are figuring, two cards per set, since we're going to have three sets per year or thereabouts, though we haven't gotten a confirmation on it, as far as I know. It's 12 per year now, though, two copies of each card.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
What about the free weekly drafts once Set 2 comes out? Do we get packs from those sets or from set 1 or a mix?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The free weekly draft we can draft whatever type of draft tournament is currently available, I believe. So if there's a tournament that's "set 2 only" we get set 2, etc.

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

This must be the most complicated Kickstarter in history.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
From what I can gather from what they've said, they'll eventually discontinue selling old sets, which'll be neat. I didn't think they would, considering digital game and all.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
So earlier in the thread there was a bit of discussion about banning vs. modifying cards that were OP. Everyone agrees something needs to be done, but you're left with the trade-off of pissing off those who want to keep a powerful card for formats in which it might still be allowed, which could make it very valuable long term vs. having a card that's playable in the current format and pissing off those who traded for it for that purpose with a banning. Last night I was mulling some hex thoughts and I realized that because of the digital nature of the game they could easily take a 'best of both worlds' approach to bannings: Ban the OP card but leave it in the collection of those who own it for eternal format purposes, then create a new re-balanced 'Card V.2' and distribute it into collections on a 1-1 basis for owners of the banned card.

It would be a strictly worse (but balanced) version of the original card with 'V.2' or 'II' appended to the name and the tacked on rule that "*card V.2* counts as *card* for deck-making purposes." People who paid/traded for expensive cards that get banned can make the best of a bad situation, yeah their card will lose value, but they get to keep it for eternal format purposes where it might regain value over time. They also get a new slightly weaker version that they can plug right back into their decks, removing some of the sting from having your deck nerfed into the ground by the removal of a key card.

Thoughts?

OBi fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 4, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
New update, the next stretch goal is free packs of Set 3 and a weekly updated web guide at 2.1m.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, that web guide looks like it could be fun to read. But they'll really need a flood of last minute subscribers to get that goal, there are only so many high-tier spots left.

Edit: Yeah, they'd have to beat their kicktraq projection by like 200k.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 4, 2013

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

BenRGamer posted:

From what I can gather from what they've said, they'll eventually discontinue selling old sets, which'll be neat. I didn't think they would, considering digital game and all.

:geno: Between this and closing the door on being able to balance tweak cards they're really taking less advantage of digital format than I would have hoped in order to appease the MtG crowd.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tonfa posted:

:geno: Between this and closing the door on being able to balance tweak cards they're really taking less advantage of digital format than I would have hoped in order to appease the MtG crowd.

I think it's more that they view the game model as a "collectible" trading card game. If cards don't eventually go out of print, they aren't collectible.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, that web guide looks like it could be fun to read. But they'll really need a flood of last minute subscribers to get that goal, there are only so many high-tier spots left.

Pretty much every single popular KS project has a considerable boost in the last 48h.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Tonfa posted:

I promise you almost everybody who's in for $250+ wants sets to go out of print ASAP.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Overflight posted:

Pretty much every single popular KS project has a considerable boost in the last 48h.

Yeah, but Hex has seen a really atypical investment curve so it's hard to predict.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Adar posted:

I promise you almost everybody who's in for $250+ wants sets to go out of print ASAP.

Not people who actually like playing the game. In Magic, I get to play Legacy far more rarely than I'd like, and I almost never get to play Vintage. The tension in MtG is that the cards are so expensive that devaluing them with reprints is devastating to people with a lot of $100+ cards. Hex could just avoid that from the outset. I'd much rather see moderately valuable cards and formats I can actually play as opposed to super expensive collectible cards that make the eternal formats unplayable.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Karnegal posted:

Not people who actually like playing the game. In Magic, I get to play Legacy far more rarely than I'd like, and I almost never get to play Vintage. The tension in MtG is that the cards are so expensive that devaluing them with reprints is devastating to people with a lot of $100+ cards. Hex could just avoid that from the outset. I'd much rather see moderately valuable cards and formats I can actually play as opposed to super expensive collectible cards that make the eternal formats unplayable.

That's what's going to happen. This won't be like Magic where the most valuable cards were in very limited early printings -- there's gonna be zillions of cards, especially of the first few sets.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
As a compromise to going out of print or not they could possibly just increase the price of the booster packs for older sets.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Edit: Yeah, they'd have to beat their kicktraq projection by like 200k.

Kicktraq projection doesn't include Paypal. Include those donations and Hex will hit $2.1m if it meets the projection.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Niedar posted:

As a compromise to going out of print or not they could possibly just increase the price of the booster packs for older sets.

That's not a terrible idea unless they release card(s) that become 'auto-includes' in various types of deck. Once that set price starts going up, there will be cries of "it's a P2W game, wtf CZE?!" If they reprint than this is mitigated, but perceptions and all.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Karnegal posted:

Well the other part of this Karnegal, is that there was so little legacy/vintage support in MTGO where you could play any time you want. From the outset folks are going to have access to all the cards to build all the decks, there isn't going to be the issue where, the p9 haven't even been released. I imagine there will be a higher demand for "legacy/vintage" style play on Hex simply because from the jump the needed cards are available, sets will go out of print even if individual cards are reprinted in the future. The main hurdle in MTGO to legacy/vintage isn't actually so much the price as it is some cards weren't released for so long, or had stupid low "availability" times like whatever set that Force of Will was printed in. I mean a playset of Underground Seas on MTGO run you like 160 bucks vs 140 for a single one in paper.

Just because a set goes OOP doesn't mean that individual cards ever will. Besides, even if they didn't force old sets "out of print" the release of new sets pretty much demolishes the draft scene for older set, unless the new set is horrible. It's a complicated beast, but I believe in the inherent need of going out of print for the health of the game, otherwise yeah, everyone will have access to every single card after a point, and what will be the point in trading anymore.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The combined effect of making older cards unusable in limited tournament format and making older cards eventually impossible to get through booster packs satisfies collectors by ensuring their collection does not drop in value over time, satisfies people who stop playing by ensuring their collection does not drop in value over time, and satisfies new players by making those cards irrelevant to competitive play which lowers the buy-in price of the game. It's a good thing.

The only people negatively affected will be the people who want to buy once and have a complete set, and those people should not be playing CCGs.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Speaking of collecting, I hope one of the unrevealed stretch bonuses is another copy of the exclusive cards. Even better would be to double the "extra copy" bonus of the Collector tier (which remains criminally under-pledged), because as it stands the other tiers end up with 2/4 copies and the Collector tier ends up with 3/4.

Three out of four max copies of rare cards doesn't seem very "Collector" to me -- especially when it comes to the alternate art PvP cards. Having three out of four copies of a power card in your deck with cool alternate art and the last one normal just doesn't have the same show-off spark :)

Amante fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 4, 2013

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, but Hex has seen a really atypical investment curve so it's hard to predict.

There's a "Remind Me" option in every Kickstarter that sends you an email when there are 48 hours left to go. So atypical investment curve or not, I'd expect a surge when those emails go out.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Well, anyone who has those exclusive kickstarter cards also have the equipment for them, so others will have no use for it unless the cards get sold as well.
Replicator’s Gambit is a regular PVP card though, we're just getting an Alternate Art version (plus equipment)

I recon that they won't be giving out multiple copies of the equipment though, which is good because that makes them more tradable :)

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

That's what's going to happen. This won't be like Magic where the most valuable cards were in very limited early printings -- there's gonna be zillions of cards, especially of the first few sets.

Also I think people have the wrong frame of reference to the first run of Hex vs the first run of MTG cards, MTG wasn't initially designed for long term balance so the first cards were insanely overpowered, with Hex they know the path so they will most likely underpower the first set of cards to push people into the next set and not overextend themselves.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Twitch stream starts in 20 minutes.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

And it looks like they're actually going to be able to play the game. :)

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Just saw this pop up in chat for anyone curious if this would be available through Steam:

quote:

hextcg: I spoke to our engineers today and I can say that we will support the Steam API

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Some jerk started spoiling GoT in the chat. :smith: The guy playing dwarves made so many mistakes.

VVV At first, I wondered why not just diamond, ruby, sapphire, emerald and onyx myself. But then I read the lore and saw that they put an effort in. So I'm willing to go along with their story.

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 5, 2013

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
"Mono-Wild deck" just sounds so dirty to me. I really hope they go with Emerald soon, because having the colors be Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, "Wild", and "Blood" (which is black and not red), is just so bizarre. But the gameplay on the stream really made me wish I had the spare cash right at this moment to jump on some of the really cool KS stuff.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Blazing Zero posted:

Some jerk started spoiling GoT in the chat. :smith: The guy playing dwarves made so many mistakes.

They ran into the bug with the infinity engine - apparently it will only choose a random artifact once per phase (unintentionally), so if he kept churning it with all those turbines that he drew the first time he hit the bug then it would have been a problem. I mean in this case he didn't pull anything super crazy, but it would have just shown that the card was broken over and over.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
^^ It's kinda bizarre, but those terms already have significant flavor connotations, so they're probably sticking.

The games were a bit less revealing than I was hoping for, but they were interesting nonetheless. Again, wish I had been smart enough to ignore the chat. I mean, how dare they ignore questions that have already been answered?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

They ran into the bug with the infinity engine - apparently it will only choose a random artifact once per phase (unintentionally), so if he kept churning it with all those turbines that he drew the first time he hit the bug then it would have been a problem. I mean in this case he didn't pull anything super crazy, but it would have just shown that the card was broken over and over.

Obviously he was trying not to abuse that bug, right. What I meant was, he didn't use resources to draw with the librarian and the whole cooking pot fiasco. He died directly as a result of that one.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Oh wow, double posted.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm a sucker for previews, so I enjoyed watching the guys suck at playing just to see new cards.

Also, I maximized the video to avoid being tempted by the chat.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Blazing Zero posted:

Obviously he was trying not to abuse that bug, right. What I meant was, he didn't use resources to draw with the librarian and the whole cooking pot fiasco. He died directly as a result of that one.

He couldn't have used the cooking pot to mill the Phoenix Guard. He was out of resources at that point and the cooking pot costs 1 to activate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
I tried to argue with a bunch of stupid people in the chat about that flyer showcased in the last match that it wasn't overpowered because you could always play cards after attacking.

I kinda hate stupid people.

• Locked thread