Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
CHARLESTON

bonestructure posted:

Yeah, I brought up Hampton Park as a possible location earlier in the thread. The curved line doesn't match up, but a fair number of other things do.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&pagenumber=13&perpage=40#post416068861

I don't think the lemontiger guess of Stella Maris on Sullivan's Island is right, because I've attended that church and the congregation is very protective of it, they wouldn't want to even chance having all kinds of people digging up the grounds. I definitely can't see the rector at the time (Father Connor) allowing it. None of the boxes were buried on private property without permission, were they?

There are still a lot of "hits" on the Sullivan's Island / Fort Moultrie theory, though, especially some of those images.

Personally right now I think the most likely theory is somewhere on the coast near Fort Moultrie, with the problem that Hurricane Hugo took down a lot of trees and landmarks around there so those parts of verse may now be indecipherable (hence my suggestion of taking ground penetrating radar). Hampton Park seems a decent theory also due to its proximity to the Citadel and the 1900 West Indian exposition, but the whole lion thing seems like a huge stretch because the lion was gone by 1975 and Preiss wasn't a Charleston native.

Marion Square also is adjunct to the *old* citadel building. I wonder if any of the verses potentially match up with Charles Towne Landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

I like some of the ideas about the Water Tower but I think the premise of starting at Mitchell Hall is flawed. There are a few options for starting this quest and all of them have flaws.

1. Mitchell Hall at UWM - has three three stories. Not centrally located and not the first thing you think of when thinking of Mitchell.
2. Mitchell Park Domes - 3 domes, each are "stories" of different climates. Pretty well known but indirect connection to stories.
3. Mitchell Building at Water and Michigan - Centrally located in the heart of the city. Is not 3 stories and am not sure how to connect it.
4. Mitchell Field - A starting point for travelers, "beating of the world" has a connection to flight and the world. No connection to 3 stories.
5. Mitchell Street - Connections? I can't think of any.
6. Mitchell Mansion aka Wisconsin Club, 9th & Wisconsin - 3 stories and well known.

Honestly, I think the Domes are the best fit but it probably doesn't matter because the next step is to walk a "distance in space". The next part is not easy and I have yet to hear where we find a "woman, with harpsichord". Woman and harp is on the Pabst Theater but a harp is not a harpsichord. I know the city very well but cannot think of a harpsichord pictured anywhere. They are not generally associated with Milwaukee. I visited the Immigrant Mother statue yesterday but see absolutely no similarity between her and the woman in the illustration beyond the fact that they are both women and they both wear a robe with a hood. That is a weak association.

One tricky thing about the verse is to know which verses go together and which starts a new theme. Below, I have separated the entire verse into parts which I think are connected. For example there is a possibility you don't walk 100 paces southeast, you may walk 100 paces and then from there go southeast to the first young birch. These are open to interpretation.

With the idea of the staircase at Lake Park, has anyone counted the steps? I also have never heard it referred to as the "Grand Staircase" as mentioned in the pdf solution. In the pdf I think it is also a weak association to think of the "cast in copper" as being Lincoln Memorial Drive. The association of "Pass three" as being a 30 MPH Speed Limit sign is even weaker. For many years in the 80's and 90's the speed limit there was 25 MPH. There are associations with statues but I cannot see that connection.

Verse
View the three stories of Mitchell

As you walk the beating of the world
At a distance in time
From three who lived there

At a distance in space

From woman, with harpsichord
Silently playing

Step on nature

Cast in copper

Ascend the 92 steps

After climbing the grand 200

Pass the compass and reach
The foot of the culvert
Below the bridge

Walk 100 paces

Southeast over rock and soil
To the first young birch

Pass three, staying west

You'll see a letter from the country
Of wonderstone's hearth

On a proud, tall fifth
At its southern foot
The treasure waits.

Edit:
acmpsu21, some of the things in the picture need to be looked at more closely. As some of the people in other cities have found, there are important clues in the illustrations. The weird texture on the robe is almost exactly like the striations of rhyolite.

crashdome, I was thinking about Grand 200 as being an address. Wisconsin Avenue used to be called Grand Avenue and Grand 200 would have been the building where Kiku's now is located which in 1982 was what? Probably nothing too important... I'll look it up.
2nd Edit: Around that time 200 Grand or 200 W. Wisconsin Ave. was occupied by Wooden Nickel, a clothing shop that sold jeans and stuff.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 4, 2013

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

The Walking Dad posted:

Stuff about Bryant Park

This is really convincing. As I mentioned before, I thought the 74 and 42 referred to NYC latitude/longitude, but there's no reason they can't get re-used cleverly as a street address...

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Oh man i dont live but an hour and some from roanoke island and i have been dying for an excuse to get the boat out. Literall buried treasure is about as good as it gets yea?

quote:

Where white is in color

Maybey a stretch but john white was the collinist who found CROCATOAN carved on the tree, maybey where white was white with fear or something?

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 4, 2013

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Neutrino posted:

I have yet to hear where we find a "woman, with harpsichord"

...silently playing...

Marietta Ave, between the University and Lake Park.

quote:

The only painting that can be conclusively attributed to Marietta Robusti is her Self Portrait (c. 1580; Uffizi Gallery, Florence). This portrait depicts Marietta posed before a harpsichord

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marietta_Robusti

It crosses Kenwood Blvd. The "beating of the world" (whirled?) might then refer to Kenwood mixers.

The domes are an interesting possibility...

...but some of these pictures seem to reference things that are all over the place in the target city and may be red herrings.

Another Mitchell possibility is the Mitchell Mansion, a “rambling three-storey yellow brick house”, where the German Club was established. (Each image has a nationality and this is the German one.)

http://www.wisconsinclub.com/fw/main/History-4.html

BJG fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 4, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

BJG posted:

...silently playing...

Marietta Ave, between the University and Lake Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marietta_Robusti

It crosses Kenwood Blvd. The "beating of the world" (whirled?) might then refer to Kenwood mixers.

That Marietta is a solid connection right there. Kenwood mixers not so much...

Edit: The main connection I see with "beating of the world" is waves which is why I always think of water. The Lake would be a solid connection IMHO. If someone can count the stairs at Lake Park to see if it is 92 steps, then I might be convinced of this solution.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 4, 2013

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Neutrino posted:

That Marietta is a solid connection right there. Kenwood mixers not so much...

I disagree. Marietta Avenue seems like a stretch to me. There's countless random paintings of a woman with a harpsichord; Marietta's certainly isn't famous nor does she have any connection to Wisconsin in the slightest. I think those lines will relate to something in the environment, not something completely removed from the situation. But hey, I could be wrong.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

This book does have some really obscure things in it. Like, "Edwin and Edwina named after him" is borrowed from P164 of a book called "Abroad in America".

The same book is the source of the "sovereign people" in Verse 2.

"Here is the sovereign people who build palaces to shelter their heads for a night! Here is the religion which is dedicated to man as man, and here the marvels of art are lavished on the glorification of the masses! Nero had his Domus Aurea, but the Roman plebeians had only the catacombs to shelter themselves!"

One of these quotes relates to Charleston, and the other to New Orleans...two of the casque locations.

So...this might have nothing to do with Marietta, but I wouldn't rule her out on the grounds of obscurity.

BJG fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 4, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I disagree. Marietta Avenue seems like a stretch to me. There's countless random paintings of a woman with a harpsichord; Marietta's certainly isn't famous nor does she have any connection to Wisconsin in the slightest. I think those lines will relate to something in the environment, not something completely removed from the situation. But hey, I could be wrong.

While they didn't have Google back then, it is the first thing that comes up when you search for "marietta harpsichord".

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 4, 2013

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

bonestructure posted:

Yeah, I brought up Hampton Park as a possible location earlier in the thread. The curved line doesn't match up, but a fair number of other things do.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&pagenumber=13&perpage=40#post416068861

I don't think the lemontiger guess of Stella Maris on Sullivan's Island is right, because I've attended that church and the congregation is very protective of it, they wouldn't want to even chance having all kinds of people digging up the grounds. I definitely can't see the rector at the time (Father Connor) allowing it. None of the boxes were buried on private property without permission, were they?

I moved through the thread quickly and COMPLETELY missed your post, sorry. You also clearly spent more time than me on this and it shows in your post. Lots of good thoughts on this, I'm just having trouble ignoring that hairpin shape, as you've pointed out. I'm curious as to how precise it's meant to be geographically, although considering the depth of these riddles and the precision with which some of this seems to have been made, I wouldn't be surprised if it was fairly exact.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BJG posted:

This book does have some really obscure things in it. Like, "Edwin and Edwina named after him" is borrowed from P164 of a book called "Abroad in America".

The same book is the source of the "sovereign people" in Verse 2.

"Here is the sovereign people who build palaces to shelter their heads for a night! Here is the religion which is dedicated to man as man, and here the marvels of art are lavished on the glorification of the masses! Nero had his Domus Aurea, but the Roman plebeians had only the catacombs to shelter themselves!"

One of these quotes relates to Charleston, and the other to New Orleans...two of the casque locations.

So...this might have nothing to do with Marietta, but I wouldn't rule her out on the grounds of obscurity.

Link to the book in question:

http://www.amazon.com/Abroad-America-Visitors-Nation-1776-1914/dp/0201000318

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
As stuff like this continues to come out, I find it hilarious that this guy was worried about all the puzzles being solved within a month.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

BJG posted:

(A sign with two maps by White on the Harriot Trail with a view of the Wright Brothers "wing")
This sounds plausible, but it bothers me that it is so out of line with the rest of the verse. the entire verse is linear, it leads you from the wright museum, to the bridge, to the gardens, but then in order for the above picture to be accurate you have to think he randomly inserted a line that tells you the final destination, and then followed it up by going back to a linear description of where to go.

Looking at the google map...

...and now knowing where the marker stone is, I have to ask why we are assuming the sugar bowl is inside the gardens? the verse is...

To the land near the window
There's a road that leads to
Dark forest

...while I cant figure out what "the land near the window" refers to (yet), there is nothing there to definitively say we should actually be going into the Elizabethan gardens themselves, just that we should follow the road that leads to it. The plaque that we get the dark forest reference from actually says “From this hallowed ground they walked away through the dark forest and into history” which could be interpreted to mean the dark forest itself is our destination, not the Elizabethan gardens. This actually fits in with the verse, which just says go to the dark forest; we have all just assumed it meant the gardens because some clues later on kind of fit with that idea, but only if we disregard the verse being linear.

Where white is in color
With two maps
After circle and square

Has anyone considered the road at the right of the google maps image as being the circle and square instead of the sunken garden (see previously badly marked image)? If everything in the verse is linear (and up to this point it has all been linear, so no reason to think it would change now), then the line "where white is in color" could just mean the areas that White mapped and he almost assuredly mapped the fort (in color=live and in person vs the monotone of a map), and the circle and square would be the parking lot/road (assuming it has not been rebuilt since 1981/82). Is there a couple of whites maps of the fort/colony on display anywhere by chance?

In July and August
A path beckons
To mica and driftwood

if the above is correct, then this would possibly refer to the 1896 stone. I pointed out in an earlier post that the top of the stone has a symbol on it that looks a lot like one of the symbols on the armor of the illustration...

I haven't been to the outer banks in years, so I cant remember the area all that well. Is there a path from that stone that leads to the ocean by chance? Are there other statues, monuments, markers or anything else along that trail that may hold similar clues (if the path even exists)?

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Sham I Am posted:

I cant figure out what "the land near the window" refers to

It's thought to mean the map of Roanoke which appears next to the window in the image.

It's difficult to find image matches in this one. I was wondering about the railing by the White maps sign...would like to get some more pics of that area.

BJG fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 4, 2013

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...
This is super cool. From what I've read it seems unlikely that there is any treasure hidden in Philadelphia, but if there is, I'm willing to do some scouting.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Boston

After getting started reading the Image 11 thread at the q4t site (only a little ways in) I like that the arches in the Copley fountain seems to match so well with the upper part of the circle even with the little gash on the one archway. I'm feeling better that this might be Boston.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

NYC

One of the biggest problems with the bryant park theories is that they're unfalsifiable claims. I would assume that the author would've said before he passed away that the NYC cask was no longer out there to be found unless he was a gigantic dick. Remember that he kept the lockboxes there for over 20 years because he believed these things would one day still be found. And as others have said, if it was at one time in Bryant, it's long gone.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Devyl posted:

N.O.

It's possible, but the rest of the verse doesn't seem to make sense to be in N.O. The only thing I can think of 21 across and 15 down would be a mausoleum or cemetery... But the problem with that is there are several in N.O. to pick from.

I've also outlined most of the stuff we've guessed on the high-res picture. If anyone wants high-res of the rest of the pictures, let me know.

New Orleans

Something about the Sleeve on the hand is making my brain tingle... Specifically the cuff part, I have never been to New Orleans, so I can't fathom as to what it is, but its so weird looking.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
Edit: Accidental Double Post?

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005
Milwaukee

A couple thoughts about Marquette (that hopefully don't throw us off-track):

In one of the successful searches, the centaur in the picture identified a Greek theme for the quest, and the cask was in the Greek Gardens. In a similar fashion, the robe may be of significance for Milwaukee, and would most likely point to a Marquette/Jesuit theme. That's the only thing I can think of that associates robes with Milwaukee. It's definitely one of the weirder and more striking things about the picture, and my first thought upon seeing the picture was "what does a magician have to do with Milwaukee?" It makes a lot more sense as a Jesuit robe.

So the two big things in the downtown area having to do with Marquette are the University and Pere Marquette Park. If we start at Marquette University, that would put Mitchell's Mansion (now the Wisconsin Club, formerly the Deutscher Club until it was renamed in 1917; it was also started by 3 businessmen, read here for more http://www.wisconsinclub.com/fw/main/History-4.html) at the beginning, which would match up chronologically with the riddle. If we walk down Wisconsin, cross the river and loop around City Hall, placing City Hall later in chronology, then come back around to Pere Marquette Park, that may be the circuit we're supposed to follow.

For people who know the area, and especially the University, it might be worth glancing at that route on google maps and seeing if anything matches up.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Published in '76. Wouldn't be at all surprised if this book was used as a primary reference for all of these riddles. Question is, could it also be a key to them?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SheepNameKiller posted:

NYC

One of the biggest problems with the bryant park theories is that they're unfalsifiable claims. I would assume that the author would've said before he passed away that the NYC cask was no longer out there to be found unless he was a gigantic dick. Remember that he kept the lockboxes there for over 20 years because he believed these things would one day still be found. And as others have said, if it was at one time in Bryant, it's long gone.

While I like the Bryant Park theory as well, I agree with this. I also see that we can rule out Edwin Booth because Edwin and Edwina have nothing to do with him as posted earlier.

One thing mentioned in the Bryant Park post no ones really talked about though. What's up with that repeated line under the window panels? There has to be a reason for that.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

TotalHell posted:

Published in '76. Wouldn't be at all surprised if this book was used as a primary reference for all of these riddles. Question is, could it also be a key to them?

Purchased. I guess we'll find out Thursday if there are more clues in there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kingnothing posted:

While I like the Bryant Park theory as well, I agree with this. I also see that we can rule out Edwin Booth because Edwin and Edwina have nothing to do with him as posted earlier.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that based on a random quote from a random book. Coincidences are possible when you're google-searching the entire internet for phrases.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

One thing mentioned in the Bryant Park post no ones really talked about though. What's up with that repeated line under the window panels? There has to be a reason for that.

Edwin Booth was named for Edwin Forrest, a famous Shakespearean actor in the 19th century. Edwin named his daughter Edwina, presumably after him as well.

Edwin Forrest was active in both Philadelphia and New York.

So the Edwin and Edwina reference could very well relate to either of them, or even someone else entirely.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

Dr. Bit posted:

A couple thoughts about Marquette (that hopefully don't throw us off-track):

In one of the successful searches, the centaur in the picture identified a Greek theme for the quest, and the cask was in the Greek Gardens. In a similar fashion, the robe may be of significance for Milwaukee, and would most likely point to a Marquette/Jesuit theme. That's the only thing I can think of that associates robes with Milwaukee. It's definitely one of the weirder and more striking things about the picture, and my first thought upon seeing the picture was "what does a magician have to do with Milwaukee?" It makes a lot more sense as a Jesuit robe.

So the two big things in the downtown area having to do with Marquette are the University and Pere Marquette Park. If we start at Marquette University, that would put Mitchell's Mansion (now the Wisconsin Club, formerly the Deutscher Club until it was renamed in 1917; it was also started by 3 businessmen, read here for more http://www.wisconsinclub.com/fw/main/History-4.html) at the beginning, which would match up chronologically with the riddle. If we walk down Wisconsin, cross the river and loop around City Hall, placing City Hall later in chronology, then come back around to Pere Marquette Park, that may be the circuit we're supposed to follow.

For people who know the area, and especially the University, it might be worth glancing at that route on google maps and seeing if anything matches up.

Supposedly she is a juggler. The robe is a weird angle but the whole theme of The Secret is fantasy so a robe would fit in that theme. According to one source, each puzzle is supposed to represent a country and Milwaukee's country is Germany. I don't know how that would correspond to Germany.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Someone hurry up and dig already, this wait is killing me!

Also, don't go crazy analyzing these drawings. I know there is poo poo hidden around every corner, but sometimes a wave is just a wave.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How much would it cost to rent ground imaging radar for a day or two?
$1000 a day for a basic unit like the one they used in the Jimmy Hoffa episode of Mythbusters, more for high end stuff like surveying equipment.

I'm not sure how deep it will penetrate the ground, but if you want to try building your own phased array radar, you can do it for a few hundred dollars. http://spectrum.ieee.org/video/geek-life/hands-on/video-build-a-coffeecan-radar

SheepNameKiller posted:

NYC

You're probably right, but there is a lot of stuff suggesting it could at least be a starting point. I think it would be worthwhile to take a copy of the mural to the area and look for windows that match.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
What if we work backwards, and assume that the author would 1) have to be burying these things, and 2) would have to assume that they wouldn't get dug up or destroyed accidentally for the forseeable future (say 50-100 years).

In NYC, that doesn't leave too many options with the constant development. Even the parks (like Bryant Park) are liable to be dug up occasionally.

If it were me, I'd go either with heritage sites or national parkland or endowed land (like the Cloisters -- endowed by Rockefeller, who might be "he of Hard word?"). It would also have to be somewhere the author had sneaky physical access to though.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BOSTON
I made a real basic template of the shapes, negative space, etc. for the Boston image:

I have the layered Illustrator .AI and .EPS versions if anyone would like to play with the individual components. It's handy to drag a chunk out of AI into photoshop to lay over other stuff (though I have no idea where to upload/host non-image files bigger than 2Mb, though, so I'd need a suggestion).

Oh, and it's retarded but I can't stop seeing this:

E:

Kingnothing posted:

Upload it to dropbox and share the link.

gently caress, duh. Having a retarded day. Here you go, everybody, have a Boston image template in a few vector formats.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 4, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Emacs Headroom posted:

What if we work backwards, and assume that the author would 1) have to be burying these things, and 2) would have to assume that they wouldn't get dug up or destroyed accidentally for the forseeable future (say 50-100 years).

In NYC, that doesn't leave too many options with the constant development. Even the parks (like Bryant Park) are liable to be dug up occasionally.

If it were me, I'd go either with heritage sites or national parkland or endowed land (like the Cloisters -- endowed by Rockefeller, who might be "he of Hard word?"). It would also have to be somewhere the author had sneaky physical access to though.

He may not have been that forward thinking. Maybe 5-10 years max but sometimes development happens quickly. In Milwaukee the mid-late 80's changed the landscape quickly. As for a time frame, I'm guessing these were buried between 1980-81. The illustrations were done in 1981 so the burial of the casks were probably done beforehand.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

HoboZero posted:

BOSTON
I made a real basic template of the shapes, negative space, etc. for the Boston image:

Nice! Not that it's terribly significant, but you missed the '2' underneath the '4' on her cuff. It's all curly, you'll see it.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

HoboZero posted:

BOSTON

Very nice!

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

HoboZero posted:

BOSTON

I have the layered Illustrator .AI and .EPS versions if anyone would like to play with the individual components. It's handy to drag a chunk out of AI into photoshop to lay over other stuff (though I have no idea where to upload/host non-image files bigger than 2Mb, though, so I'd need a suggestion).

You should try and do this for more of the images, please! :D

McIneri
Jan 4, 2012
This morning I took a bit of time before work to take some pictures. This is in reference to CASK 2 and what I believe applies to Charleston VERSE 5.

To preface, this is just what I took from the verse, it might be reaching a bit but the logic does seem to follow in my mind.

I believe that the cask might be somewhere at Marion square, specifically close to the statue of John C. Calhoun shown below

This is just an image of the monument, but it does sort of resemble the shape coming up from the bridge of the nose of the mask. Also, the shape coming from the bridge of the mask's nose is pointing pretty darn close to Marion Square (although it's hard to pinpoint exactly where). "Weight and roots extended Together saved the site." According the monument's website http://ccpl.org/content.asp?id=16261&action=detail&catID=6179&parentID=5908 the statue was originally thought to be ugly and was going to be destroyed up until a new statue was paid for by the ladies of the Calhoun Monument Association (presumably they are the "roots" and the statue is the "weight" that extended to the people of the city.) "Of granite walls." The statue itself is made of granite and as you can see from the image below, there is a small granite wall surrounding the statue.

"wind swept halls citadel in the night." The old citadel building stands on Marion Square right across from the statue. "A wingless bird ascended born of ancient dreams of flight." At one of the cornerstones of the Calhoun Monument lies a box that, according to the monument's website, contains a cannonball used during the battle of Fort Moultire during the Revolutionary War. The cannonball is the "wingless bird" and it was the dream of the United States to part ways with Britain "born of an ancient dream of flight." "Beneath the only standing member of a forest." This one is kind of a stretch but Calhoun is standing and their are palm trees on the statue.

"white stone closest." Well the granite certainly looks white, but there are also these very odd little white stones (presumably offering some kind of aesthetic or structural support) inside the stones making up the wall.

I also walked 12 paces this morning in each direction from the statue and thankfully nothing has been built over the top, it's still all grass. Now the one problem I am having is finding which of the cornerstones actually had the cannonball in it. If we knew that, it might be possible to find the closest white stone, walk 12 paces and dig. In addition to this a few other things that are noticeable about Marion Square is that there is a church across the street, which covers the cross shape found in the lion's mane, and one of the only original sections of the original charleston city wall is there. I don't know if it actually helps but it's a very significant place in Charleston. This is just all I was able to do this morning but I'm going back for sure. From reading the thread I completely agree that it could be at Hampton Park or Fort Sumter but I'm a bit doubtful about Sullivan's island (but who knows really). Hope I was able to help a little bit, I really hope we can all find these things. I'll post more pictures, especially when I go check out Hampton Park.

McIneri fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 4, 2013

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Slayer1597 posted:

New Orleans

Something about the Sleeve on the hand is making my brain tingle... Specifically the cuff part, I have never been to New Orleans, so I can't fathom as to what it is, but its so weird looking.

It reminds me of a vase, or could otherwise be part of a statue or water fountain.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The author most likely expected these to be solved within a year or two of the book's publication.

Still, a part of me thinks its a safe assumption that if any were rendered unfindable in the last 30 years he'd have sent out word somehow.

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005

Neutrino posted:

Milwaukee

Supposedly she is a juggler. The robe is a weird angle but the whole theme of The Secret is fantasy so a robe would fit in that theme. According to one source, each puzzle is supposed to represent a country and Milwaukee's country is Germany. I don't know how that would correspond to Germany.

Ah! The centaur threw me off because I thought it was associated with the park, not with the "country of origin." Makes sense. Not sure what would be specifically German about any of the clues for Milwaukee except for the wonderstone, since there seems to be a lot of it in Germany. And of course Milwaukee is associated with Germans.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

HoboZero posted:

BOSTON

Upload it to dropbox and share the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

OperaMouse posted:

It reminds me of a vase, or could otherwise be part of a statue or water fountain.

I was thinking maybe a skirt on a statue or something.