Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Sometimes when Jimmy Jims is flying through the sky you can see funky purple "trail" symbol stuffs behind him and/or around him.

Was just looking for that actually. And two pages later there's a purple circle on the ground when he's about to land.

So yeah this is court magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Blackheart posted:

I just checked, and The official answer is a bit vague anyway:

So apparently he does it by himself, but there's still some mystic explanation.

Apparently he "knows a few tricks".

Mystery solved.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's probably related to Anja and Donald's magical computer thing. It's not "magic" but it's not "science" either.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Renard looks so adorable in his little doggy bed. :3:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Carrasco posted:

Apparently he "knows a few tricks".

Mystery solved.

Reading that chase sequence again (of course I had to, the curse of Gunnerkrigg linking), it had a really studio Ghibli feeling to it. In my mind I could almost see the gorgeous animation of Ysengrin transforming into a monstruous body and chasing Annie, possibly sliding when making a sharp turn. Now I want a Hayao Miyazaki Gunnerkrigg Court movie.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Blackheart posted:

Now I want a Hayao Miyazaki Gunnerkrigg Court movie.

For the first 20 minutes or so everyone has football heads. :v:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Tom's said that every kid in the current Queslett class has some sort of weird etheric power - it's not too much of a stretch to imagine this stretches back to Generation Surma. He jumps by magic, mystery solved.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
When Ysengrin freaked out on Annie one of the first things that popped into my head was the boar demon from the beginning of Princess Mononoke.

Also yeah the jump thing was something he got from training, something he was not recruited for specifically, going by the scene in Ties with Thorn. Though maybe he was brought to the Court because of some extranormal physical potential.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Is it ever hinted at anywhere what happened to Ysengrin's right ear? It was sort of mangy looking early on but sometime along the way he just lost it entirely. I wonder if that is an indication of something that happened, or just generally pointing out how much he's deteriorating. I'd like a Ysengrin focused story one of these days, he's probably one of the most enigmatic characters left now that we finally had a Jones chapter.

Also for years I thought his name was Ysengrim. That fancy font and lack of attention on my part. Plus the mythological figure that he's based on can be spelled Ysengrim or Ysengrin or Isengrim or Ysengrimus or all kinds of ways apparently.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Freudian posted:

Tom's said that every kid in the current Queslett class has some sort of weird etheric power - it's not too much of a stretch to imagine this stretches back to Generation Surma. He jumps by magic, mystery solved.

I think it's more that they have some sort of 'special skill', rather than a specifically etheric power. Kat's intuitive tech genius may not be etheric in nature, for example, but it's special enough to get her into Queslett.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

BobTheJanitor posted:

Is it ever hinted at anywhere what happened to Ysengrin's right ear? It was sort of mangy looking early on but sometime along the way he just lost it entirely. I wonder if that is an indication of something that happened, or just generally pointing out how much he's deteriorating. I'd like a Ysengrin focused story one of these days, he's probably one of the most enigmatic characters left now that we finally had a Jones chapter.

Also for years I thought his name was Ysengrim. That fancy font and lack of attention on my part. Plus the mythological figure that he's based on can be spelled Ysengrim or Ysengrin or Isengrim or Ysengrimus or all kinds of ways apparently.

I think it was always supposed to be a stump and the style's just changed. Was some supposition when Annie got that little 'don't blab about the tooth' wristband and Ysengrin recognized it instantly that that was how he lost his ear, which'd explain a lot, but nothing at all to explain it in the comic nope.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 4, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

There's good evidence to believe it was one of Coyote's bindings. We'll find out eventually and the mystery will be solved. Although why would Ysengrin ever disobey Coyote and get his ear snapped?

vvv or maybe it was a proof of loyalty or something? Which would be more up to Ysengrin's alley. Anyway it's just the wording for that particular comic, specifically Tom's comment about Ysengrin "having seen one of those before". Then again he does hang around with Coyote all the time so if Coyote used bindings before Ysengrin could have seen them. vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 4, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why would Ysengrin disobey Coyote and get nothing but a single ear snapped? One-eared wolves are not exactly uncommon (they get in fights y'know), while Annie was risking her right hand.

e: As in, a wolf missing an ear is not really a big deal, so it seems like a rather light punishment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Because there's a Court Bismuth symbol over it in one of the Treatises I'm inclined to believe it was lost in a scrap against the Court.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I'd put money on it being lost to Eglamore at some point.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Blackheart posted:

There's good evidence to believe it was one of Coyote's bindings. We'll find out eventually and the mystery will be solved. Although why would Ysengrin ever disobey Coyote and get his ear snapped?

vvv or maybe it was a proof of loyalty or something? Which would be more up to Ysengrin's alley. Anyway it's just the wording for that particular comic, specifically Tom's comment about Ysengrin "having seen one of those before". Then again he does hang around with Coyote all the time so if Coyote used bindings before Ysengrin could have seen them. vvv

Ysengrin probably wasn't always the semi-mindless housepet he is now. How do you think he got that way?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

That fancy font and lack of attention on my part.

It took me about 6 chapters my first time through to figure out the lowercase Ds were lowercase Ds and not fancy Ses.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

dyzzy posted:

I'd put money on it being lost to Eglamore at some point.

I really hope it was in a card game.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I dunno, ysengrin has a pretty good poker face...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

dyzzy posted:

I dunno, ysengrin has a pretty good poker face...

He's only got a good poker face when he is winning, if he loses its all snarling and trying to flay you alive with living tree.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

He's only got a good poker face when he is winning, if he loses its all snarling and trying to flay you alive with living tree.

And then next time he's all, "I will personally guarantee your safety while we play poker."

Maybe that's what happened to his ear. Coyote plucked it off and swallowed it. (I'll keep hold of it for you, along with the others.)

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's wolf ears all the way down.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, is this thing http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=843 a tictoc, or am I just seeing poo poo?

Because I just know that cityface is going to somehow be integral to the goddamn plot.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
It's a crow. Crow's don't have patience for your sillyness. Or your crackpot theories.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

It's a crow. Crow's don't have patience for your sillyness. Or your crackpot theories.

If it is a corvid then it had better play a role in the story, I still remember that crow talking to the archer back in the splash pannel of "coward heart".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Tic tocs have humungo beakaroonis.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Oneiros posted:

I can not see that being the case. Their common parent could not be Surma, for obvious reasons, and from what we've seen of him I doubt that Anthony was involved with anyone other than Surma.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Zimmy was the result of some experiment by Anthony to create a child from his and Surma's genes without the "stealing her mother's fire" bit, and it backfiring horribly with the end result of Zimmy's powers essentially being what happens when someone has part of their soul surgically removed in utero.

It's probably not very likely at all, but I'm still betting there's more of a connection between Zimmy and Antimony than what's been shown already.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

mr. stefan posted:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Zimmy was the result of some experiment by Anthony to create a child from his and Surma's genes without the "stealing her mother's fire" bit, and it backfiring horribly with the end result of Zimmy's powers essentially being what happens when someone has part of their soul surgically removed in utero.

It's probably not very likely at all, but I'm still betting there's more of a connection between Zimmy and Antimony than what's been shown already.

So her body harvests ether in an attempt to manufacture a soul? Or maybe to just fill the ether vacuum?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Because I just know that cityface is going to somehow be integral to the goddamn plot.

Well City Face is canon. It's the name Kat gave that pigeon baby she found. And possibly also the pigeon that represents her thoughts in the chapter Divine, but that's debatable. Wonder if that baby pigeon is ever getting mentioned again? Maybe now that we're probably hopefully going to be seeing more of Paz?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!
Maybe Gamma is the rest of her soul. (That actually makes sense; I wouldn't be shocked if there were some truth to this line of speculation).

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

(sorry, I just needed any excuse to post one of my favorite panels ever, so wild speculation will have to do)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

The Red Queen posted:

So her body harvests ether in an attempt to manufacture a soul? Or maybe to just fill the ether vacuum?
If she's a black hole for the Ether, it could explain why Renard is mortified whenever "The Demon Child" is around.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

mr. stefan posted:

Eh, I dunno, the whole idea of Zimmy being somehow connected or related to Annie rubs me the wrong way. I think she works better as an example of the strange and occasionally terrifying etheric nonsense that sometimes crops up in the world.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I dunno, I think Zimmy being related to Annie somehow is much too easy of a plot point for Tea-san. It just seems way too obvious to me for the "Annie nullifies the hallucinations like Gamma does, but not as well" thing to end up being "OMG long lost sister/science experiment sibling/she's your Evil Twin/a super distant cousin!". He's grown too much as a writer since the very early days of GC to do something that fanfic-y.

I am very much looking forward to more on Zimmy and Gamma though, more than anything else except maybe Jones. I feel like the'll play a really, really heavy role in the story once the final stories start to form.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Booo! I wanted Eglamore to just be able to Jump Good. :colbert:

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, is this thing http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=843 a tictoc, or am I just seeing poo poo?

That's Coyote's good buddy Raven who came over for his centennial visit! Please let it be Raven

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Somehow I don't see those two getting along well.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

The Red Queen posted:

Are you saying that she is attractive* to the ether?

* not in that way

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can probably see that blush from orbit.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Look at that pudgy lil belly :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Look at Paz being all subtle. :3: