Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Qualified for both my chosen trades on the aptitude test today. So excited! :holy:

Congrats.

You will now be forced into the trade you desire least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
So it looks like I'm heading into my second consecutive year of "oh your medical expired time to re-do your medical" and then the results are processed juuuuuuusssstttttt in time to be two days after the one selection of the year where my trades hire. Oh life, you card.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Canadian Forces.txt right there. Sorry to hear that.

What trade are you looking for?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 16, 2017

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
AEC is the only one that's left hiring for this year. Hoping I can bust rear end and get my bloodwork back in time that I can at least have hope.
Adding ACSO in the near future and it's sort of amusing to hear the RC staff mention the 70% fail rate like 6 times in one conversation.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I keep hearing AESOP is the best enlisted trade. A lot of guys at the regiment want to switch over to that down the line.
I talked to the Sikorsky reps at CANSEC and they said that the CH-148 would have a Tactical Coordinator in addition to the AESOP, does anyone know what that means?

e: Here's the C7A3 at the Colt Canada booth. One-piece receiver and free-floating barrel. New handguard and magazine as well.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 31, 2013

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title

Frosted Flake posted:

I talked to the Sikorsky reps at CANSEC and they said that the CH-148 would have a Tactical Coordinator in addition to the AESOP, does anyone know what that means?

The TACCO is what we call the ACSOs in the MH community. IIRC the term's a holdover from the old Naval Air days. But yeah, there's apparently going to be 2 of those on the unicorns, up from the 1 we're using right now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

I keep hearing AESOP is the best enlisted trade. A lot of guys at the regiment want to switch over to that down the line.

e: Here's the C7A3 at the Colt Canada booth. One-piece receiver and free-floating barrel. New handguard and magazine as well.

Ugh that phone's camera lens is so greasy!

Oh yeah, cool gun looks cool!

CumshotCommando
Dec 10, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Now we just have to wait and see what mods we can put on it...

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

CumshotCommando posted:

Now we just have to wait and see what mods we can put on it...

You won't have to worry about it. That thing won't be seen in our lifetime

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Re-interview and medical scheduled for my DEO Pilot application for next Tuesday! One more step closer to re-attempting Aircrew Selection!

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

After 15 years of botched project management we've finally selected a replacement for our ancient fleet oilers: The Berlin Class.

Nice for an oiler but it has none of the all singing all dancing RORO / Sea Lift / Army Barracks / Command platform stuff that the Navy had been pushing for. Granted I know why they went the way they did (Too ambitious from the start, not nearly enough money and an unwillingness to settle for 2). Still, what a disappointment.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
Not at all telling that the things are built to take Sea Kings. Not at all.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
I think most people are just glad there's now an actual ship that goes with the vague timelines for AOR replacement. That said it also makes you wonder why it took 15 years of procurement nightmare just to settle on an existing design.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sir John Eh posted:

We unironically celebrated their fiftieth year of service earlier.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

We unironically celebrated their fiftieth year of service earlier.

There's a big party about it in Shearwater at the end of July, to boot.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Sir John Eh posted:

Well, the Sea King replacement is about the same footprint as a Sea King, and the NH90, which is really what the Berlin is designed to carry. At least that helicopter program can provide some comfort that we're in good company with other suckers in defence procurement (who isn't these days?). But the Germans did buy that lovely helo instead of our lovely helo...:suicide:

Fifteen bucks for a Sea King 50th patch. I don't think so.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Wow, fifty years of service? Sounds like the Sea King is a solid, reliable piece of machinery!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Getting our money's worth. Just like the Americans with their UH-1s and B-52s and EC/KC-135s.

While there's still spares, keep them in the air.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
It's really fascinating to learn to fly that thing. Moving to it from anything else really makes you appreciate the scope of the engineering involved, seeing as it's built entirely without the magic computer boxes that anything else has. Though not having a GPS certified for navigation is a little on the annoying side, seeing as NDBs are rapidly falling out of favour. Honestly, if we'd devoted any of the money from the Cyclone into modernizing the avionics and sensor/sonar packages on the Sea King, it almost wouldn't need a replacement. The flying part of it still works really, really well.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Yup that's the feeling I get from the community (well, pilots anyway). I take it you're at the OTU.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm due for my second hook this fall, but want to go AESOP. Will putting in for a transfer block my promotion?
Does anyone know about the selection and training process?

e: Is getting CP Det member a good course or should I stay with the guns?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Your bombers are entirely up to your chain of command, so if they're cool chances are they won't block it, but if you're at 4 years in you have to get your bombers. Barring a huge gently caress up on your part.

I've had buddy's who've taken the CP Det course and they've all said it was fun. You get off of the guns so thats a big plus in my book,

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I suppose it all depends on what guns you're getting off and where you want your career to go.

If your only aspiration is to be a No1 then it's up to you.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ya if you want to be a no. 1, for some deranged reason, don't go off the guns.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?id=4880

So apparently the Officers are in fact getting their pips and crowns back, and divisions are replacing the LF Areas. What is a Canadian Army Secondary Badge? And by shoulder titles do they mean kind of like the cadets where instead of saying "CANADA" itll say "Canadian Army" on the DEUs?

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

swagger like us posted:

So apparently the Officers are in fact getting their pips and crowns back, and divisions are replacing the LF Areas. What is a Canadian Army Secondary Badge? And by shoulder titles do they mean kind of like the cadets where instead of saying "CANADA" itll say "Canadian Army" on the DEUs?

11 new ranks designations that I will never remember and be tersely reminded of for the rest of my career...great. Am I really going to have to call Air force privates "Airman" and "Airwoman" at some point in the near future? Oh goody.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

So absolutely nothing changes for the Army save for divisions?

Who gives a gently caress? Seriously, why is this change occurring? Are there not more important issues to address in today's forces?

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Who gives a gently caress? Seriously, why is this change occurring? Are there not more important issues to address in today's forces?

Is it still Kosher to say that maybe Unification had long term benefits that compensated for the short term harm? On a serious note I wonder if all these recent name change related items this could be part of a plan to create distance between the three elements.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

swagger like us posted:

Glad to see that while the CF is facing constant delays on equipment modernization, the leadership is focused on what really matters. Like a bunch of of loving magpies, I swear.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

This was my response, exactly.

My Air Defense buddy was INCREDIBLY excited about it, though. :suicide:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

This was my response, exactly.

My Air Defense buddy was INCREDIBLY excited about it, though. :suicide:

Hahahaha you have a friend in AD. That poor bastard.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I had a buddy that finished his QL3 for field arty got sent to an AD unit to bolster the numbers or something and then made him do the AD QL3. So he was regular field artilly then got sent with the bird gunners. I felt bad for him.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

Hahahaha you have a friend in AD. That poor bastard.

At least this change gives him something to be excited about, so that's great I guess! :glomp:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Both fields of artillery have been using Gunner and Bombardier as official ranks since their inception.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pufflekins posted:

Both fields of artillery have been using Gunner and Bombardier as official ranks since their inception.

He's an officer.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Are they gonna wear shoulder boards or is it gonna be just chest like regular. Because that makes me wish I was still in so I could piss off majors by calling them warrants.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Anyone remember that Master Bomber from CFLRS that taught weapons, he had arms like tree trunks. I think he got his rocks off from jacking people up for calling him Master Cpl.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fraser CDN posted:

Anyone remember that Master Bomber from CFLRS that taught weapons, he had arms like tree trunks. I think he got his rocks off from jacking people up for calling him Master Cpl.

That's every master bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

Fraser CDN posted:

I know exactly who you are talking about...Hispanic guy right? He seriously spent half the classes talking about how he had all these university degrees and other delightful stories about how awesome he was...

He randomly walked up to our platoon one fine summer day in 2008 and told us for no apparent reason that he just lost his shirt in the stock market crash...kind of an odd fellow.