Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lexicon posted:

I'm about to set up a new Mac, and I'm going to embark on a project I've had in mind for a while: scripted setup. I want to keep track of everything I install via home-brew, etc, so that it's easy to get it back to that state from restore, etc.

With that in mind, is it preferable to skip installing the command line tools via XCode, and instead rely on home-brew exclusively for all that?
Don't you need some of that stuff in the first place for homebrew in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

japtor posted:

Don't you need some of that stuff in the first place for homebrew in the first place?

Humph, you may be right about that. I haven't actually tried it yet, because I know that when the Mac comes out of the box, the rest of my day is shot.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
Github wrote and open-sourced a thing that may help: http://boxen.github.com/

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

trinary posted:

Github wrote and open-sourced a thing that may help: http://boxen.github.com/

Hoooooly god. I'm going to use the poo poo out of this. Thanks!!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Intern brought in his own computer. It's a 15" MBP, unibody. It has loving 10.5.8 :argh:

He can't even run Chrome. Get the gently caress out.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Intern brought in his own computer. It's a 15" MBP, unibody. It has loving 10.5.8 :argh:

How a person's own gear is set up is a pretty reliable indicator for technical competence, imo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lexicon posted:

How a person's own gear is set up is a pretty reliable indicator for technical competence, imo.

Not doing anything technical for us, just content writing until he goes to law school in the fall...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Tell him that his 4 year old operating system is a Piece of poo poo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Tell him that his 4 year old operating system is a Piece of poo poo.

Tell him to switch to Windows XP Pro.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

10.8.4 is actually out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

RIP Mountain Lion.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Supposedly, it adds support for the concept of linear time to iMessages.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Same build number as the final developer preview.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

:monocle: Surely you jest, sir! I'll believe it when I see it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You can get the Combo Update here.

Here's about as complete a list of fixes/tweaks/admissions as you're going to get from Apple:

Apple posted:

The OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.4 Update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:

Compatibility improvements when connecting to certain enterprise Wi-Fi networks

Microsoft Exchange compatibility improvements in Calendar

A fix for an issue that prevented FaceTime calls to non-U.S. phone numbers

A fix for an issue that may prevent scheduled sleep after using Boot Camp

Improves VoiceOver compatibility with text in PDF documents

Includes Safari 6.0.5, which improves stability for some websites with chat features and games

A fix for an issue that may cause iMessages to display out of order in Messages

Resolves an issue in which Calendars Birthdays may appear incorrectly in certain time zones

A fix for an issue that may prevent the desktop background picture from being preserved after restart

A fix for an issue that may prevent documents from being saved to a server using SMB

Addresses an issue that may prevent certain files from opening after copied to a volume named “Home"

A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files made over NFS from displaying

Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications

Improves Active Directory log-in performance, especially for cached accounts or when using a .local domain

Improves OpenDirectory data replication

Improves 802.1X compatibility with ActiveDirectory networks

Improves compatibility when using mobile accounts

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
10.8.4 (non combo) seems to have screwed up some stuff for me. 2011 27" iMac.

Activiy Monitor crashes immediately after starting, before it draws a process list window. Dock shows Not Responding, console.app shows this: 6/4/13 8:11:23.805 PM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.ActivityMonitor[1756]) Exited abnormally: Alarm clock: 14

At some point chrome dev and canary start failing on SSL requests and don't recover till they're restarted. Chrome reports Error code: ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT. I know these sites are up (twitter, google, github) and non-SSL requests work fine.

Safari crashes on startup (Not Responding in dock, no relevant log messages I can find). I don't have anything particularly weird installed on this machine. Gonna give it a second reboot just to see if things sort themselves out.

Fake edit: reboot seems to have helped a great deal. Activity Monitor is working, Safari is working, SSL requests seem to be ok.

I'll report back if things start screwing up again, but so far it looks good.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Might as well do a combo update to be safe.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Is there a good app for setting your mac to grab a certain file off the web at say, 1am in the morning?

When I want to download stuff like this system update, i'd rather do it in my ISP's off-peak time.
(Yes, I currently have a poo poo internet limit)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

the_lion posted:

Is there a good app for setting your mac to grab a certain file off the web at say, 1am in the morning?

When I want to download stuff like this system update, i'd rather do it in my ISP's off-peak time.
(Yes, I currently have a poo poo internet limit)
On that note, will they update me at an Apple Store?
My only internet is limited to 20GB/month (Verizon WiFi stick thingy).

grmartin
Mar 9, 2013

You become confused and frightened.

iostream.h posted:

On that note, will they update me at an Apple Store?
My only internet is limited to 20GB/month (Verizon WiFi stick thingy).

They should definitely do that for you. There's the open and super-fast Wi-Fi connection for the store that'll let you download the update, and I bet they'll help you if you want them to. You can do it yourself from their Wi-Fi though.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

grmartin posted:

They should definitely do that for you. There's the open and super-fast Wi-Fi connection for the store that'll let you download the update, and I bet they'll help you if you want them to. You can do it yourself from their Wi-Fi though.
Oh, I didn't realize they had an open wifi, cool thanks!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

iostream.h posted:

Oh, I didn't realize they had an open wifi, cool thanks!
If you don't want to haul your laptop into a store you can also just download the combo update onto a memory stick of yours on one of the store machines and bring it home with you.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
What's a combo update? I'm scratching my head here

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

When you install the update from the App Store, know as a delta update, it requires the previous version installed as it only includes the changes made in the newest version. The combo update includes all the changes made before and including the newest version (i.e. the 10.8.4 combo includes 10.8.1, 10.8.2, 10.8.3 and 10.8.4).

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Sprat Sandwich posted:

When you install the update from the App Store, know as a delta update, it requires the previous version installed as it only includes the changes made in the newest version. The combo update includes all the changes made before and including the newest version (i.e. the 10.8.4 combo includes 10.8.1, 10.8.2, 10.8.3 and 10.8.4).

Ah, thanks.

You learn something new every day.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The new release also means that if you purchased Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store at some point, you can now re-download a full installer that will put all of the newest 10.8.4 release in a new install. Even better than a combo update, but more suited for wipe and reinstall cases.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Strange. Every other point OS X update has showed up in the MAS for me except for this one. Maybe it's still being pushed out?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You might have to go to the App Store and search for 'os x mountain lion,' then select it and it'll tell you that you already have 10.8.4, do you want to download it again? You say yes and it downloads a 4.4 GB "Install Mountain Lion" app to your Applications folder, search inside and you'll find an image of the full installer you can image to a USB stick.

Edit: BTW, if you did this before, and you want to keep 10.8.3 or earlier images for some arcane reason, move the app to a detachable storage device or rename it. If you do a redownload, even if you moved it off your main hard drive, if the drive is online the App Store will find the earlier install app and write over it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 5, 2013

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

cbirdsong posted:

Updated yesterday, messages were fine and in the correct order.

Logged in this morning, messages were in the proper order.

Sent a message to someone just now, messages reshuffled to being out of order.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I upgraded my late-2011 15" MBP last night using the combo updater, and immediately started getting kernel panics every 15-20 minutes. Sometimes it won't even fully restart without immediately crashing again, and the only way to stop the loop is to reset the NVRAM. I'm running the hardware test stuff right now -- I do have aftermarket RAM in it, but it's been months since I put it in -- but I've never had a kernel panic before this. So far it passed the quick test OK, but I'm waiting on the extended.

Might reinstalling from Recovery help? This is my first serious OSX issue, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I did re-apply the combo update last night, but that didn't change anything.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Updated to 10.8.4 on four different machines, no problems so far, except for an existing problem on one machine where CalendarAgent sucks up an inordinate amount of CPU time at random..

grmartin
Mar 9, 2013

Fats posted:

I upgraded my late-2011 15" MBP last night using the combo updater, and immediately started getting kernel panics every 15-20 minutes. Sometimes it won't even fully restart without immediately crashing again, and the only way to stop the loop is to reset the NVRAM. I'm running the hardware test stuff right now -- I do have aftermarket RAM in it, but it's been months since I put it in -- but I've never had a kernel panic before this. So far it passed the quick test OK, but I'm waiting on the extended.

Might reinstalling from Recovery help? This is my first serious OSX issue, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I did re-apply the combo update last night, but that didn't change anything.

Did you try booting it in safe mode?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Good to know 10.8.4 also forgets which monitor is my primary monitor when awoken from sleep. A quick unplug and replug fixes it, but booo.

Edit: 10.8.4 update didn't break trim support on my M4, cool.

decypher fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 6, 2013

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

grmartin posted:

Did you try booting it in safe mode?

Just did, it didn't crash while in safe mode so I rebooted again and so far everything is OK. Fingers crossed...

grmartin
Mar 9, 2013

Fats posted:

Just did, it didn't crash while in safe mode so I rebooted again and so far everything is OK. Fingers crossed...

If it still crashes but not when you boot into Safe Mode, then it's likely a problem with non-required kernel extensions or a startup item/process not installed by Apple. Hopefully it's working now though!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What the hell is coming, Fruity Forest Lion OS X?!

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Tidal wave confirmed.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

OS X sea lion

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

My PIN is 4826 posted:

OS X sea lion

Don't joke like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

What the hell is coming, Fruity Forest Lion OS X?!

They just had to come up with something besides a "Galaxy" to put on the sign. :smuggo: