Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Those guys are hilarious.

I'm in Florida right now for work and every time I come down here I just laugh and laugh at all the bikes I see. Confederate flagged harleys, early 90's sport bikes stretched and slammed, and scooters everywhere.

Not a helmet in sight and everyone you see on a motorcycle here looks like the biggest douche bag or back woods inbred rear end in a top hat.

Its amazing. It's like a 100% hit ratio of people I'd never want to have a conversation with much less about bikes.

It makes me support the no helmet law. I mean, paying these peoples medical bills when they go down sucks but if this is the class of people who demand to ride without a helmet fuckin let em

[/rear end in a top hat northwesterner]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013

Pope Mobile posted:

Ran into a gaggle of Seattle Ruff Ryders (heh, ruff, like a dog) on the ferry this weekend. Things i've learned: they like helmet hawks; they like to rev their engines to redline for no reason; they can't turn to save their lives.

Sounds like almost all ruff ryders I've ever seen. I've never seen one without the pack though...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Those guys are hilarious.

I'm in Florida right now for work and every time I come down here I just laugh and laugh at all the bikes I see. Confederate flagged harleys, early 90's sport bikes stretched and slammed, and scooters everywhere.

Not a helmet in sight and everyone you see on a motorcycle here looks like the biggest douche bag or back woods inbred rear end in a top hat.

Its amazing. It's like a 100% hit ratio of people I'd never want to have a conversation with much less about bikes.

It makes me support the no helmet law. I mean, paying these peoples medical bills when they go down sucks but if this is the class of people who demand to ride without a helmet fuckin let em

[/rear end in a top hat northwesterner]

Yeah, Florida is the worst. I put off doing my MSF for a few years because I just had zero interest in riding there (rear end in a top hat/idiot drivers + flat, boring roads). I post this one every now and then, guy is one pair of flip-flips away from being a one-man Florida Rider Bingo win:

floridarider.jpg by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
No hat tucked under the passenger strap.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's a SoCal thing. We have helmet laws. His hat probably just flew off.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I wonder why he put on a back protector yet leaves literally everything else off? I mean, I realise the mind of a squid is a dumb place to be, but ... why that one piece?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
That's super popular. Even smart people I know do that poo poo. I think it's just a way to ride like a squid and keep cool while still tricking yourself into feeling like you're "protected".

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You see lots of guys down here without a helmet but a hat on. wtf! How do you not take a liter bike up to speeds where having a hat is impossible! all i can do is laugh.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Spiffness posted:

You see lots of guys down here without a helmet but a hat on. wtf! How do you not take a liter bike up to speeds where having a hat is impossible! all i can do is laugh.

I saw that the other day. Hat had a perfectly flat bill that probably had the sticker and tag intact.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

JP Money posted:

That's super popular. Even smart people I know do that poo poo. I think it's just a way to ride like a squid and keep cool while still tricking yourself into feeling like you're "protected".

Yeah. People basically like feeling armored but hate feeling protected.

It is the dumbest thing.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That's ... so ... dumb.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Shimrod posted:

I wonder why he put on a back protector yet leaves literally everything else off? I mean, I realise the mind of a squid is a dumb place to be, but ... why that one piece?
An Icon Field Armor vest is given to everyone during the initiation to Squidhood.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Back protectors look cool, that's why.

Summer is finally starting to give Sweden a few cautious looks, so I'm seeing more people on gixxers and CBRRRRRs riding in shorts/slacks, t-shirt and sneakers. They'll wear a helmet because they have to, and usually a back protector with flashy styling.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Collateral Damage posted:

Back protectors look cool, that's why.

Summer is finally starting to give Sweden a few cautious looks, so I'm seeing more people on gixxers and CBRRRRRs riding in shorts/slacks, t-shirt and sneakers. They'll wear a helmet because they have to, and usually a back protector with flashy styling.

In Sweden? I thought Europe, especially northern Europe, was like ATGATT heaven. Actually that's been my experience in London, Holland, and Germany (though not France).

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 4, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Most people wear sensible gear, but we have our share of squids too. Squids mostly only come out on really sunny days though.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Shimrod posted:

It's stunter stuff. The most action he's gonna see on the bike is when he tries to 12 o'clock it and goes flying off the back or comes down hard and goes over the bars. The field armor does its job at that point.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I think the warm weather is finally starting to settle into the PNW. There were over a dozen bikes in the lot this morning. Last week there were only about three. It's like birds migrating.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The guy my wife and I are planning to ride to Texas with (starting on Saturday) has apparently diagnosed his '07 Ulysses with having bad crank bearings. It's making a new noise and now super paranoid about riding on it. He has a 1998 Road King as a fall back so he's definitely going, I hope he isn't a basket case on the road.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Did he just randomly come to that conclusion or actually have it diagnosed in some way? Is there anything wrong with the Road King?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The RK needs a new crank position sensor. Easy peasy, he's been putting it off. Hopefully it's in stock somewhere.

The crank bearing thing is a common problem on 2007s, apparently. He's compared the sound he's hearing to youtube recordings of other bad crank Ulys, and he says when he drained the oil last weekend when he changed it, it was frothy/bubbly and that is associated with crank problems.

I am thinking it's more likely a noisy primary chain and that he just needs to tension it. He used a 20w50 in the primary last oil change, which is thinner than the Formula+ we usually use. My oil comes out a little bubbly if I've just run it. We'll see tonight.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Are gangs of goldwing riders a thing? I was making a delivery and saw about 12 Goldwings with both riders and passengers perfectly outfitted in high vis gear and headsets on full faced helmets making what looked like military hand signals to tell each other where to go. :wtc:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's not that uncommon for me to see a whole gaggle of wings out on the interstate. I'm surprised they were using hand signals and not intercoms :)

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013

Tenchrono posted:

Are gangs of goldwing riders a thing? I was making a delivery and saw about 12 Goldwings with both riders and passengers perfectly outfitted in high vis gear and headsets on full faced helmets making what looked like military hand signals to tell each other where to go. :wtc:

Used to see my grandpa doing this, we're they old? Personally, Goldwings are great bikes... Very comfortable.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They are and it's as glorious as you describe.
http://www.gwrra.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvxx3eVgLhs

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Yeah it was a big :wtc: moment as I live in eastern Indiana and it's a no helmet state so most people ride in blue jeans and a tank top riding an all American Harley or some sort of super sport that's way too powerful for them. Almost never see anyone in full gear. Couldn't tell their age as they had helmets on but it wouldn't surprise me they were all over 40, goldwings are nice bikes though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's the thing about (most) Goldwing riders- they ride ATGATT with hi-vis gear and still drag peg boards.

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013

Pope Mobile posted:

That's the thing about (most) Goldwing riders- they ride ATGATT with hi-vis gear and still drag peg boards.

:lol: Yeah, my grandfather used to scare the crap out of me when I was 13, he would drag the boards around most curves. I then grew up and learned that he could have actually taken us both out if he had tried to lean further.

We did take a ride together on the Goldwings before he died though, that was nice. :rip:

Didn't mean to end that with gloom... he called me nuts for riding a rocket.

GSXRMikeS fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 4, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I love how that's a point of pride for goldwing owners. Seems like dragging hard parts like that could easily send the bike over if it catches on the pavement or if they lean just a bit more into it.

I don't necessarily love the idea of dragging knee on the road but I like the idea of dragging hard parts on bikes with squared off commuting tires even less.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The pegs float, right? Once you touch down, you have a couple more degrees of lean before hard parts start to drag. Think of the pegs like dragging knee - it helps you feel where you are. I used to drag my floorboards on the Vstar all over - the board touching down let me know I was close to the limit, but I never actually maxed out and dragged hard things.

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013

JP Money posted:

I love how that's a point of pride for goldwing owners. Seems like dragging hard parts like that could easily send the bike over if it catches on the pavement or if they lean just a bit more into it.

I don't necessarily love the idea of dragging knee on the road but I like the idea of dragging hard parts on bikes with squared off commuting tires even less.

The tracks will kick you off if you drag hard parts... once saw a Honda Shadow with drag pipes literally dragging their pipes in front of me while in a road course. You should have seen the instructors face when he saw that! He was dismissed from the $200 course that day :P

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

The pegs float, right? Once you touch down, you have a couple more degrees of lean before hard parts start to drag. Think of the pegs like dragging knee - it helps you feel where you are. I used to drag my floorboards on the Vstar all over - the board touching down let me know I was close to the limit, but I never actually maxed out and dragged hard things.

Yeah, knowing when to stop is key, however it is slightly dangerous on normal roads. Tracks are usually safe to drag the pegs a little.
Just imagine a little lip in the concrete or asphalt catching that peg.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Pegs are cleverly designed with that in mind. That's why they float up and back, rather than just up.

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

Pegs are cleverly designed with that in mind. That's why they float up and back, rather than just up.

Yeah, didn't picture it in my head first before I typed it. It would have to be an extreme situation to actually catch on something I guess.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

JP Money posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

I'll just leave this here

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013

LOL, never did I expect to see that, and I rode deal's gap before...

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I don't know why people are always so surprised that YES, Goldwings are motorcycles too!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Backov posted:

I don't know why people are always so surprised that YES, Goldwings are motorcycles too!

Because Goldwings are SUVs with two wheels.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
But how do you hang off enough on one to go fast?!??!?!?!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
You've still not lived until you've gone through heavy traffic, at speed, in a big group of bikes following a Goldwing with Ride of the Valkyrie blasting from his thousand-watt stereo system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013

Z3n posted:

But how do you hang off enough on one to go fast?!??!?!?!

Um... You don't hang off, you throw that leg out there for stability :)