Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Atomicated posted:

Didn't they announce Rock Band 3 a week or two before E3? I think the idea is that you announce and get attention without having to compete with everything that gets shown at E3.

3 basically got announced with the Green Day RB demo.

Also it's weird to think of it but if they even wanted to make a new music game they would be starting from square one all over again because nothing can be brought to the new systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Antigrav 2 here we come. :rubshands:

The Year 20XX
Mar 26, 2008

Minimal typos.
Can't wait for them to announce Post Rock Band.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
The Axe II is gonna be hype.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Since customs count as RBN songs, they qualify for in-game goals tied to RBN releases. I don't own a single metal song off RBN (and who would) but got the "more metal" goal by playing the Pantera pack. And with that 1 jumped up a couple slots to #20 worldwide for fan count. :3:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Whatever it is, it's got something to do with Disney.

EDIT: Now with pic!

I'm guessing something Fantasia related?

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 4, 2013

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Fantasia? Get out of my dreams and into my next gen console :swoon:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Orgophlax posted:

I'm guessing something Fantasia related?

That's definitely Yensid, but I wonder if they would actually produce an entire game around Fantasia... I just don't see it being particularly attractive to the demographics Harmonix/Disney would need to appeal to.

Perhaps something like Mickey's PhilharMagic: The Game, which would draw from the entire scope of Disney musicals.

[edit] To hammer the point home, Fantasia 2000 made $90 million on a $80 million production budget (so, not counting marketing/promotion) and would be considered a box office failure by most accounts.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 4, 2013

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

NeoGAF has a thread about it and someone got the USA Today, and from the article:

quote:

Other details:
-You are the new sorcerer's apprentice
- Kinect puts your silhouette on the screen
- "By reaching out towards the screen, you transform the objects you linger on"
- More than 25 songs
- Bohemian Rhapsody is one of them, has three different versions: original, orchestral, and 80's heavy metal ballad
- Apparently you can customize mixes and share them with others?

Also, there's a bunch of supposed screen shots from it there from an announcement trailer Disney put up early on their website that has since been taken down. I'm not sure if we're allowed to link to NeoGAF since I never see any, but it's not hard to find.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
The immense butthurt over there about it being Kinect oriented is hilarious. Day 1 purchase right here.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Official announcement and article from Polygon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq0_dGKx4Os

Pop music and Kinect is going to have a lot of Disney nerds very, very mad but the concept sounds pretty cool in bringing out the music from the level by using your movements and building up the song. Sounds like an evolution of what they did in Frequency, actually. I'm interested to see what they have.

Though considering the respect Harmonix usually has for source material, I wouldn't be shocked to see some of the classic pieces like The Sorcerers Aprentice and Night On Bald Mountain in there as well (Night On Dubstep Mountain Remix by Skrillex :getin: )

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Sex Vicar posted:

Pop music and Kinect is going to have a lot of Disney nerds very, very mad but the concept sounds pretty cool in bringing out the music from the level by using your movements and building up the song. Sounds like an evolution of what they did in Frequency, actually. I'm interested to see what they have.

Though considering the respect Harmonix usually has for source material, I wouldn't be shocked to see some of the classic pieces like The Sorcerers Aprentice and Night On Bald Mountain in there as well (Night On Dubstep Mountain Remix by Skrillex :getin: )

It reminds me of that Dubstep tool that one of their developers was toying with a few years ago when the Kinect first came out. Excited!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Sex Vicar posted:

Picking nits, but it's odd they'd tout it as the creators of Rock Band instead of Dance Central since it's another Kinect game.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Since songlist-making websites are now obsolete. I just pitched to someone who can code an idea I had for a simple program will read your Rock Band 3 Song Cache and generate a karaoke booklet from it. Here's hoping it works out.

Also that fantasia thing would probably be getting a better rap if it didn't have the misleading Disney bent. People sure seem mad about it right now, just on the grounds of "it's not what I thought it would be by the name"

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Oh boy, a Kinect title. I'm sure the three people who have one will be ecstatic. The Xbox One isn't even backwards compatible is it? Good luck trying to sell 360 Kinects for new IPs when they will be obsolete in 6 months!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Oh boy, a Kinect title. I'm sure the three people who have one will be ecstatic. The Xbox One isn't even backwards compatible is it? Good luck trying to sell 360 Kinects for new IPs when they will be obsolete in 6 months!

The Kinect claimed the Guinness World Record of being the "fastest selling consumer electronics device" after selling a total of 8 million units in its first 60 days. 24 million units of the Kinect sensor had been shipped as of January 2012.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah too bad no one buys games for it unless it's Just Dance. No reason why anyone would think yet another Disney game will do well, especially considering this one doesn't even have the rights to use Disney music or characters.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

elf help book posted:

The Kinect claimed the Guinness World Record of being the "fastest selling consumer electronics device" after selling a total of 8 million units in its first 60 days. 24 million units of the Kinect sensor had been shipped as of January 2012.

Really? :psyduck: Well I take that back then, but I've never met anyone who's owned or even used one.

E: Do you have any statistics separating the US and the UK? I'm curious as to % of X Box owners in each country owning a Kinect.

E2: VVV Now THAT is some good news.

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 4, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Rock Band will return

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
That's not saying much except for "hey, we still own the rights to this IP", unfortunately. I suspect the internal thought process is "we'll bring back Rock Band whenever we can find a satisfying way to release it without plastic instruments".

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Really? :psyduck: Well I take that back then, but I've never met anyone who's owned or even used one.

E: Do you have any statistics separating the US and the UK? I'm curious as to % of X Box owners in each country owning a Kinect.

E2: VVV Now THAT is some good news.

I don't know but it doesn't really matter. Abu Dave is right, no one buys Kinect games. No one wants it anymore. Craigslist video game sections are clogged with the drat things.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Maybe, someday, and probably in a completely unrecognizable format

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Maybe, someday, and probably in a completely unrecognizable format

Rock Band Unplugged: HD Remix

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

pksage posted:

I suspect the internal thought process is "we'll bring back Rock Band whenever we can find a satisfying way to release it without plastic instruments".

They figured that out. It came out last year even. At least I'd be fairly okay with them expanding out the Blitz idea and going in that direction since plastic instruments are dead.

AeolisCams
Jun 5, 2004
That Other Fat Guy
Sorry to interrupt the Fantasia discussion, but I wanted to as a question of the custom mavens. Is it possible to adjust the tempo map of a song in a way that doesn't completely mess everything up? It would be nice if I could adjust where one particular beat fell without adjusting everything around/after it.

In an actual gameplay related note, is there a known bug that could cause players to receive the same score on a song? I have a pair of friends who play on the same box and somehow have about 10 songs with the exact same score on the leaderboards. I could believe one or two, maybe, but the chances of it happening ten times to the same pair of players are very low, I'd imagine.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

The T posted:

Rock Band Unplugged: HD Remix

Just acknowledge it's dead and port it to PC so we don't all lose our DLC and the thing can stay around forever for parties.
Hey, it worked for Brutal Legend. :v:

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
Did Microsoft say anything about Smartglass being a thing with the XBone? I could get behind some kind of tablet+tv rock band game in the future. especially if you could plug midi instruments into the usb ports

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

They said Smartglass will work with Xbox One. That is 100% of what they said about such.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Spooky Chris posted:

Did Microsoft say anything about Smartglass being a thing with the XBone? I could get behind some kind of tablet+tv rock band game in the future. especially if you could plug midi instruments into the usb ports

I really don't think using my cell phone as a Rock Band instrument would be very fun at all.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

The T posted:

I really don't think using my cell phone as a Rock Band instrument would be very fun at all.

virtual kazoo

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Consumers have shown that they no longer want to pay for plastic instruments. Therefore, Rock Band 4 will only require two things to play: a Kinect, and an air guitar.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

Consumers have shown that they no longer want to pay for plastic instruments. Therefore, Rock Band 4 will only require two things to play: a Kinect, and an air guitar.

Or they could allow 360 controllers to be BC and not have to sell as many plastic instruments to sell games. I dunno, I still think the death of the plastic-instrument genre was when Harmonix gave away the Guitar Hero name. Everyone loved Guitar Hero 1 and 2, then 3 onwards was awful but still the Big Name. If Rock Band had been called Guitar Hero 3 it would have sold far better purely due to brand recognition and people wouldn't have decided that all music games must suck because 'the guys who made GH really went downhill'. Disclaimer: Talking out my rear end about sales.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Or they could allow 360 controllers to be BC and not have to sell as many plastic instruments to sell games. I dunno, I still think the death of the plastic-instrument genre was when Harmonix gave away the Guitar Hero name. Everyone loved Guitar Hero 1 and 2, then 3 onwards was awful but still the Big Name. If Rock Band had been called Guitar Hero 3 it would have sold far better purely due to brand recognition and people wouldn't have decided that all music games must suck because 'the guys who made GH really went downhill'. Disclaimer: Talking out my rear end about sales.

They didn't "give away" Guitar Hero. It wasn't theirs to begin with, it was Red Octane's, who was bought by Activision after GH2. Harmonix was simply the developer contracted to make GH. I don't know if there were discussions to have Harmonix continue GH and fell apart, or if MTV bought them first and that's why Activision handed GH to Neversoft.

Harmonix does own a bunch of the patents though (like the 3D scroll lane), so they still collected money from GH for licensing that (and also why every other music game has straight up & down lanes).

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 4, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Orgophlax posted:

They didn't "give away" Guitar Hero. It wasn't theirs to begin with, it was Red Octane's, who was bought by Activision after GH2. Harmonix was simply the developer contracted to make GH. I don't know if there were discussions to have Harmonix continue GH and fell apart, or if MTV bought them first and that's why Activision handed GH to Neversoft.

Harmonix does own a bunch of the patents though (like the 3D scroll lane), so they still collected money from GH for licensing that (and also why every other music game has straight up & down lanes).

Okay, so I don't know the specifics :colbert: All I know is that people looked to Guitar Hero to continue on with the good work and it all went to poo poo. So Neversoft and MTV were kind of responsible for ruining music games' reputations while Harmonix chugged along in the background, mostly unseen :smith: (I know Rock Band actually sold quite well, I just think it would have done so much better under the Guitar Hero moniker).

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Okay, so I don't know the specifics :colbert: All I know is that people looked to Guitar Hero to continue on with the good work and it all went to poo poo. So Neversoft and MTV were kind of responsible for ruining music games' reputations while Harmonix chugged along in the background, mostly unseen :smith: (I know Rock Band actually sold quite well, I just think it would have done so much better under the Guitar Hero moniker).

Well this is just stating the obvious really. I think Neversoft is more to blame than anything with how horrific GH3 was. And it gives me another reason to post this:

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 4, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Orgophlax posted:

Well this is just stating the obvious really. I think Neversoft is more to blame than anything with how horrific GH3 was. And it gives me another reason to post this:

You can blame Bret Michaels for that guy's animations, he did the mocapping. As for the model.. there's no excuse. Even seeing the models in Rock Band 1 it was astounding how much better they were. I even nearly bought into that thing where they'd send you a little statue of your Rock Band dude but it was way too expensive.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

Using it to browse the library and queue up songs during a live setlist, however, would be pretty dope. Much more elegant than the whiteboard I used at my RB party this past weekend, although that brought its own brand of charm:

I think the exact feature I'm describing was used in the Wii version of Band Hero, using a connected DS, though I can't personally vouch for the quality of the implementation. Curious if anyone here has tried that out.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 4, 2013

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Minidust posted:

I think the exact feature I'm describing was used in the Wii version of Band Hero, using a connected DS, though I can't personally vouch for the quality of the implementation. Curious if anyone here has tried that out.

It was cool, except for the part where you had to play Band Hero in standard definition.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Our preferred method of picking songs was passing the mic round; the person with the mic makes the rules. People on instruments can sightread whatever they want, but the vocalist? They need to know the song. It did mean that we spent a lot of time in menus though, a karaoke book would have totally helped between songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Does anyone know if my RB customs will be playable in Fantasia?

• Locked thread