Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
how to learn pointers without an attention span: <changes & to * or some poo poo>, compile fails ignore errors, cntrl+z, repeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

the point that i was trying to make about java not being very good is better understood by acknowledging that c# exists (and it is a much better java than java)

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
im not a programmer by trade but i did a few java and c# classes in college and ya c# is way better like a lot better

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

like u can see what the sun engineers were trying to do when they made java, and then u see that the microsoft engineers actually pulled it off when they made c#

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i mean its obvs on day 1

System.out.println("java");

Console.writeline("c#");

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

CamH posted:

like u can see what the sun engineers were trying to do when they made java
:confused:

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
im pretty sure my companies program is the worst program.
basically each seperate function is a seperate exe, the whole thing is built in visualbasic based on a codebase from 1984, the back end is a collection of mdb files, the program doesn't support higher DPI settings which is great for a program mostly used by older people, the program requires admin privilages and full access even on network locations, etc etc etc.

fortunately we're shelving it soon, and replacing it with a html5 cloud based app (that doesn't work exactly right in anything but google chrome)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

DiabloStarCraft posted:

im pretty sure my companies program is the worst program.
basically each seperate function is a seperate exe, the whole thing is built in visualbasic based on a codebase from 1984, the back end is a collection of mdb files, the program doesn't support higher DPI settings which is great for a program mostly used by older people, the program requires admin privilages and full access even on network locations, etc etc etc.

fortunately we're shelving it soon, and replacing it with a html5 butt based app (that doesn't work exactly right in anything but google chrome)

sorry, you fail at the worst

http://www.studiosuite.net/

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

chumpchous posted:

sorry, you fail at the worst

http://www.studiosuite.net/

nope http://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/ise-design-suite/ise-webpack.htm

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
a lot of people have bad opinions about programming. They are usually the people that have opinions that are different from mine. Sometimes they are also bad for other reasons.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

I'm...genuinely confused. Does this stream golf to my modded Xbox?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

CamH posted:

like u can see what the sun engineers were trying to do when they made java,

yeah http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Naughton#1999_Arrest

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Capslock Holmes posted:

if its not over the internet https it w/ a domain cert and call it a day if ur even gonna go that far. also the infosec guys would prob be willing to help u out or at least look over what ur doing and give u a thumbsup if ur worried ab it

guys...this was c/p from the COBOL cave

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CamH posted:

the point that i was trying to make about java not being very good is better understood by acknowledging that c# exists (and it is a much better java than java)

youre missing the two biggest factors in selecting a language. syntax and semantics is like, #5.

1. what your coworkers are using
2. what libraries are available

neither of those apply to homework assignments, thus undergraduates should be seen and not heard

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
surely the whole environment thingamajig would be up there too though

like the .NET framework is p. silly but at least it doesn't poo poo up your computer with endless documented but unpatched security vulnerabilities and toolbars and poo poo

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

mods namechange posted:

like the .NET framework is p. silly but at least it doesn't poo poo up your computer with endless documented but unpatched security vulnerabilities and toolbars and poo poo

Patching .net is a pain in my rear end tho

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

AWWNAW posted:

guys...this was c/p from the COBOL cave

Lol

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mods namechange posted:

your argument is that java is a bad language because browser toolbar

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
java would be a good language if they applied the genius involved with creating checked exceptions to the entire language

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Nomnom Cookie posted:

your argument is that java is a bad language because browser toolbar
well that and syntax + semantics which were already mentioned

just port all the java libraries to .net it can't be that hard gosh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Nomnom Cookie posted:

youre missing the two biggest factors in selecting a language. syntax and semantics is like, #5.

1. what your coworkers are using
2. what libraries are available

neither of those apply to homework assignments, thus undergraduates should be seen and not heard

a k a "why people still use php and c++"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
in the facebook screen I had today, I stumbled over the screen question. got the right answer in the end, it was kinda obvious and I felt dumb.

they also asked me what my ideal job would be. i said 'destroying capitalism'. i mean what would be the point if only I got to have an ideal job and be free from wage slavery.

i said i would settle for destroying timezones and be lauded by programmers for the rest of my life.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

tef posted:

they also asked me what my ideal job would be. i said 'destroying capitalism'.

oh tef :allears:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

in the facebook screen I had today, I stumbled over the screen question. got the right answer in the end, it was kinda obvious and I felt dumb.

they also asked me what my ideal job would be. i said 'destroying capitalism'. i mean what would be the point if only I got to have an ideal job and be free from wage slavery.

i said i would settle for destroying timezones and be lauded by programmers for the rest of my life.

time zones aren't that bad, its calendars and DST that are the problem.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

yesssssss

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

you should've said destroying narcissism

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

fpga tools are poo poo from many butts

alli want to do is make the beeps and boops and maybe some low latency number crunching and all i get is actual sshit from every orifice

gently caress you altera
gently caress you xilinx

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Shaggar posted:

time zones aren't that bad, its calendars and DST that are the problem.

dst is the worst

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
eliminate all utc offsets

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i am good with eliminating time zones, dst, and calendars :woop:

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

telling time is for suckers anyways

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Malcolm XML posted:

fpga tools are poo poo from many butts

alli want to do is make the beeps and boops and maybe some low latency number crunching and all i get is actual sshit from every orifice

gently caress you altera
gently caress you xilinx

webpack on linux gives you the option of never touching their tools except for chucking your verilog at them and getting a .bit. so you know, you can use all those quality third party verilog dev tools.

modelsim is a crime against humanity

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
hooray, everybody has abandoned timezones

oh wait, the past still exists and there are loads of dates and times there

oh wait, every country moved to UTC on a different day, and some refuse to move at all

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
just nuke the world and live in a bunker with an atomic clock

it's just you and me now, international atomic time

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

qntm posted:

oh wait, every country moved to UTC on a different day, and some refuse to move at all

loving people loving up our computer programs

JawnV6 posted:

webpack on linux gives you the option of never touching their tools except for chucking your verilog at them and getting a .bit. so you know, you can use all those quality third party verilog dev tools.

modelsim is a crime against humanity

use vim it has syntax highlighting

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qntm posted:

easy solution: establish what the TRUE TIME is, and measure everything from there. the past is a foreign country; we don't have to care about hurting their feelings

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Nomnom Cookie posted:

use vim it has syntax highlighting

pretty much what i meant by "quality third party verilog tools"

vim and icarus

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

eliminate all utc offsets

you should always store dates as UTC, but it isn't until dst comes in that offsets present problems. Offsets w/out dst would be super easy since they'd just be done by the ui

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
there is no god but zoneinfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

prefect posted:

easy solution: establish what the TRUE TIME is, and measure everything from there. the past is a foreign country; we don't have to care about hurting their feelings

sorry, due to acceptance of your proposal, your employment contract is no longer valid as we cannot for sure know how long you've been here and will prepare to start from scratch. please note that your medical records have been similarly destroyed.

• Locked thread