Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I actually got around to play this for once and this game is simply amazing, even out of the box. Paradox really cleaned up their act since the days of HoI and Victoria.

I formed Scandinavia and even got all de jure counties in through basically waging war non-stop and raiding to soften up enemies, and it has been a blast. I am very powerful but a few mis-steps or backstabbing vassals could easily break everything apart into tiny pieces again. I also looked a bit into scripting and really like that you can change the game in quite deep ways without having to use some arcane modding tools that crash half of the time.

I really do not understand the few people over at paradoxplaza claiming this game is just a simple map-painter without any depth. I think the secret to having fun is actually letting bad stuff happen to you and not just simply reload every time something goes wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

rt4 posted:

After looking in the wikis and the manual, I haven't been able to uncover how rank works. How can I become something bigger than an earl?
DrSunshine covered nearly all of it, but this: War in CK2 is incredibly limited and polite. You can only go to war if you have a reason for it (in game terms, a valid Causus Beli, or CB). This is what your Chancellor is for.

You can send your Chancellor out to fabricate a claim on other counties. When he succeeds, it'll give you the option to press the claim or let it go. Pressing the claim costs money and prestige, but it's important, because now you have a valid CB -- you have a claim on that land! You can now call up its ruler and declare war. Win the war, get the county.

Use the de jure duchies map mode to find out what counties make up the duchy you're in. Claim one of those. Repeat until you control 51% of them, and then create/usurp the duchy. Now you are a Duke. You can now ask any remaining earls to become your vassals or just conquer them ("I am your de jure liege" is always a valid CB).

Now that you are a duke, work on claiming another duchy. And then another. Once you control 51% of the counties in a country, you can become King. It's all about going county by county until you can move up the ladder.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is using the Ruler Designer akin to playing with Game Genie? I keep making ugly little hedonistic genius dwarf rulers which I can usually play to pretty great success, but I'm not sure if this is borderline cheating or what.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Pimpmust posted:

Yeah, something like this:
Would allow the marshal gig under the same conditions as the default spymaster job. I.e, limited by family relation and religion group.

Hmm, I guess I see how you could limit it by decision/law if you did something fancy with setting flags...

You could also allow only women of a certain martial skill or higher to lead armies/be marshal if you set martial=x to something in the allows field.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gyshall posted:

Is using the Ruler Designer akin to playing with Game Genie? I keep making ugly little hedonistic genius dwarf rulers which I can usually play to pretty great success, but I'm not sure if this is borderline cheating or what.

I think it's entirely up to yourself. It's balanced enough that you can't easily create ~gods~, it helps give poor starts a little boost, and I find my custom guys tend to die in fairly short order anyway, so...

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Has Paradox said anything about Gavelkind succession giving your capital province/duchy away to a second/third son? Is that working as intended?
Kind of lame that my heir gets the kingdom but loses the capital province that I've been pumping resources into to upgrade buildings and tech. And then my second son immediately thinks he should be king and kicks my rear end because he inherited all my good poo poo.

Noi Albinoi
Nov 4, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Has Paradox said anything about Gavelkind succession giving your capital province/duchy away to a second/third son? Is that working as intended?
Kind of lame that my heir gets the kingdom but loses the capital province that I've been pumping resources into to upgrade buildings and tech. And then my second son immediately thinks he should be king and kicks my rear end because he inherited all my good poo poo.

The way I found to bypass the current Gavelkind was to grant all my other sons a duchy of their own and a country. This stopped them from inheriting the primarily holdings and you can give your primary heir a country within the duchy of your capital which means he will be able to inherit with 0 problems.

You can kill them, of course. That always works.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I've been working on creating a theocracy with my Norse emperor. As the Fylkirate of Reformed Norse, it seemed like the thing to do.

The problem I've run into is Kingdoms and Crown Authority.

If I create a kingdom in my empire, counts living within its borders will ignore my crown authority and instead use the newly formed kingdom's minimal authority. Could someone explain to me why this happens? From what I can tell, mayors and priests who aren't direct vassals will still respect my crown authority. Why won't counts who aren't direct vassals? I've worked around this by destroying all kingdom titles I come across.

I also can't grant kingdoms to my arch-priests.

I'd like to consolidate power into King-Priests without losing half my levy. The Empire of Francia is a giant blob of Catholics that need to be destroyed. Raising armies from each county would be a logistical nightmare. The Francia armies vastly outnumber me, so all forces must be mobilized.

I feel like I have two options:

Revoking and destroying excess jarldoms and creating arch-priests with territory the size of kingdoms (and hoping my heir has me assassinated before my vassals revolt).

Moding the game to make King-Priests a reality and to force kingdoms to follow their emperor's crown authority.

Is the second one plausible? I just want to avoid telling 50 different armies to embark for the shores of Francia.

Peace with the Catholics isn't an option.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Alternately for dealing with Gavelkind, you can not get married (or marry an older woman for stats/alliances) and produce all your heirs through concubines. As soon as you get a son, dismiss all of them.

At any rate, Gavelkind clearly isn't working in a consistently sensible fashion, especially considering the new tech system. It's a real shame succession effects are hardcoded.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

You could also allow only women of a certain martial skill or higher to lead armies/be marshal if you set martial=x to something in the allows field.

I'm experimenting with that right now. Something like:
code:
OR = {
			is_female = no #No girls allowed, unless...
			is_ruler = yes #Would this overrule the is_female = no? Thinking it's a OR clause so... it should?

AND = { #First AND-OR clause
trait = possessed 	
trait = zealot } #Gotta crazy it up if you wanna be Joan d'Arc

liege = { OR = {
					mother = { character = FROM } #Copied from the Spymaster gig, does this mean that the character can be a marshal if it's the mother of the liege or does it mean that if the marshal is a daughter of the liege?  
					spouse = { character = FROM } #You can put your wife in charge, I guess?
				}
			}
			AND = { #Everything below should be within the AND clause, including NOT and OR stuff
					religion_group = pagan_group #If the woman is within this group and...
					liege = { religion_group = pagan_group } #Liege is too, then she can be a marshal as long as all/some (in the case of OR) the other clauses above and below are fulfilled in some way?

NOT = { OR = { #Added a bunch of somewhat plausible negative traits that might make certain members of the PATRIARCHY :argh: hostile towards a female general 
				trait = craven 
				trait = weak 	
				trait = imbecile
				trait = slow 
				trait = pregnant 
				}
			}
			OR = { 	trait = strong #On the other hand, if the woman in question is ~amazing~ in some way, she can still be general. Most of the good/negative traits in question overrule the other so...
				trait = genius
				trait = quick
				trait = ambitious 
				trait = possessed # The Gods Command It
				martial= 14 #14 or above in personal martial skill, right? Does this *also* apply to men or can you do something to prevent that?
				}
			}
		}
So, in plain english it should be:
Women not allowed to be marshal unless they are
The ruler, of any religious group
Got the Possessed & zealot traits,
or if they (and their liege) are of the Pagan religious Group.
Then: The Pagan Group women be marshal, if they are:
Married/related to the liege, or got one of either the good traits (or crazy) or high martial stat.

I've probably hosed up the scripting something fierce :v:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 4, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Lunatic King died, obviously, but I think he might have given me a useful reminder. During the reign of Awesome King all my vassals loving loved me since they were either long-term Irish dukes or guys who I ennobled personally. I was playing on easy mode, with a perfect, stable realm.

Now I'm back to "god drat it who's in that faction now, can I bribe them to knock it off" and "this guy's getting too big for his britches, when he rebels I need to strip his title" and general vassal management. Fun times. Like, making the calculation that Brittany is always going to be a problem because it's a goddamn one duchy kingdom, which gives that duke a huge power base. After I'm done crushing that guy's rebellion I'm taking it for myself, it's just too big a prize to leave in someone else's hands.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 4, 2013

Anou
May 29, 2006
Hello there!

That's a random eunuch I got from one of the events as the lover of my concubine. I have no idea how this happened. I didn't even know that courtiers could even get lovers or any of those events.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Pimpmust posted:

I've probably hosed up the scripting something fierce :v:

It looks alright at a glance. Though if you're going to post a script here, you should use code tags to preserve the indentation.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

As much as I hate the Gavelkind handing out the best counties to 2nd/3rd sons, it's not such a big deal for the Norsemen at least. Simply using your 1-county conquest CB and giving the Temple to a useless son will take him out of succession. Sadly there are limits to giving your direct heir a temple, so usually if I'm not pleased with him I will let him be tutored by a high intrigue concubine that inst his mother.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Wow, just won an entire kingdom from my rear end in a top hat son, I died, and became my son. Cut my whole kingdom in half again.

Averrences
May 3, 2008
Just had a good few centuries run through from the start date, and my god - the Norse viking aspect of it makes for some wonderful stories.

At the start, my one county Norseman Gunnar I in Iceland raided the coasts of Ireland whilst the Great Heathen Army was distracting most of the British Isles, he made a good fortune out of it and managed to hire a merc company to help take the other half of Iceland. After that he continued raiding for pretty much the rest of his life, amassing a good amount of gold to spend on province improvements back home.

When his son - Isleifur - inherits the two counties of Iceland, he immediately resumes raiding the Irish coasts - but then he has a brilliant idea, what if he just takes those counties instead? So, as a result over the next 40 years or so he devotes himself to securing the southern half of Ireland.

Unfortunately, when Isleifur passes away, the Gavelkind laws split Isleifur's mini empire into three pieces - one half of southern Ireland to Yngvar, the other half to Tyrgg, and the whole of Iceland to the primary heir, Gunnar II. Immediately both brothers conspire behind the scenes and produce two revolts at once - Tyrgg wants just independence for his southern half of Iceland, whereas Yngvar wants the crown of Iceland for himself. Gunnar II was pretty pragmatic over the whole situation and first accepted Tyrgg's independence - recognizing that he had no capacity to fight both brothers at once - and declared war on Yngvar. However, before Gunnar could get any vikings over to Southern Ireland, the newly independent Tyrgg invaded Yngvar's half of Ireland and conquered it. Yngvar was placed in jail, and was immediately sacrificed to Odin. Yngvar's family then fled to Iceland, where Gunnar II promised to bring all of his children up as if they were his own.

Long story short, Gunnar II decided to keep raiding for the rest of his life, while Tyrgg unified the rest of Ireland under his own banner. In years to come, the two branches of the 'Pvari' dynasty established themselves equally in two distinct lines on both Ireland and Iceland. Many years later, Gunnar's grandson led a successful prepared invasion of England and took it over - granting Iceland to his Nephew in the process. The Pvari were now mostly in control of the British Isles, with the descendants of Ragnar Lodbrok ruling Scotland in the North, while the cadet branch of the Pvari were still going strong in Ireland.

Now I get to see how long the old Norse faith survives in Britain, seeing as its mostly been extinguished in Scandinavia - I feel it's gonna be a tough ride. :clint:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Walliard posted:

It looks alright at a glance. Though if you're going to post a script here, you should use code tags to preserve the indentation.

Oh right, forgot the code tag thingy. Added, gonna try it out and see what crazy happens.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

Oh right, forgot the code tag thingy. Added, gonna try it out and see what crazy happens.
Maybe take out the pregnancy disqualifier? Having your marshals drop out for nine months at random is going to cause nothing but trouble, especially with the dudes who you put in and then take out again when Marshal Joan has had her kid.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

CapnAndy posted:

Maybe take out the pregnancy disqualifier? Having your marshals drop out for nine months at random is going to cause nothing but trouble, especially with the dudes who you put in and then take out again when Marshal Joan has had her kid.

Also it'd rule out the chance for an enterprising modder to write an event where a child born by a pregnant female army leader gets a special "Born on the Battlefield" trait. :black101:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 4, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Also it'd rule out the chance to write an event where a child born by a pregnant female army leader gets a special "Born on the Battlefield" trait. :black101:
Oh, that owns. :black101:

edit: I just noticed a logic bug -- you require possessed AND zealot in the AND-OR clause and then at the bottom, possessed is a qualifier all on its own. Pick one or the other; either you need to be possessed and a zealot, or possession alone is enough and zealotry doesn't matter. (I say go with the AND-OR)

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 4, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Some good points. The Pregnancy thing would probably work better if you could have hidden traits (same for homosexual, when you think about it).

The two different Possessed clauses are to seperate the two conditions, so a Christian female ruler would need both to be a leader (I also added a martial = 14 requirement), while a Pagan would only need the Possessed clause. Not sure if it works like that though.

Hmm, but I seem to hit a little snag.

I tried creating a female muslim countess-equivalent with weak and slow traits and she still led her armies when calling them up.

Is it the Is_Ruler = Yes thing that simply skips everything else if fulfilled? Not entirely as planned.

Something like this should probably work though
code:
AND = { 
			is_ruler = yes 
			martial= 10
			NOT = { OR = { 
				trait = craven 
				trait = weak 	
				trait = imbecile
				trait = slow 
				}
			}
}

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 4, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Pimpmust posted:

Is it the Is_Ruler = Yes thing that simply skips everything else if fulfilled? Not entirely as planned.
Yeah, everything one level beneath the OR is a qualifier all by itself. So being male is enough, being a ruler is enough, being a possessed zealot is enough, et cetera.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 4, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

Some good points. The Pregnancy thing would probably work better if you could have hidden traits (same for homosexual, when you think about it).

The two different Possessed clauses are to seperate the two conditions, so a Christian female ruler would need both to be a leader (I also added a martial = 14 requirement), while a Pagan would only need the Possessed clause. Not sure if it works like that though.

Hmm, but I seem to hit a little snag.

I tried creating a female muslim countess-equivalent with weak and slow traits and she still led her armies when calling them up.

No, I see it (incidentally, this voids my previous complaint).

Your weak/slow check only triggers for pagan group women. Muslims aren't pagans, so you just get "Is she a ruler or (posessed and zealot)".

Just move that final NOT outside of the pagan group logic, so everyone's subjected to it.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 4, 2013

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
If you're not gay yourself, you get a relatively minor opinion malus with them. I did wonder what the effects were if you are.

On a related note, does anyone else feel that the delay between blots is too long? Nine years is a while when the nearest christian equivalent seems to be to the feast, which you can do every year, and especially when the effects of the blot (opinion bonus with vassals, increased morale) only lasts a single year.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Strudel Man posted:

If you're not gay yourself, you get a relatively minor opinion malus with them. I did wonder what the effects were if you are.

This loving game. They seem to think of everything.

Strudel Man posted:

On a related note, does anyone else feel that the delay between blots is too long? Nine years is a while when the nearest christian equivalent seems to be to the feast, which you can do every year, and especially when the effects of the blot (opinion bonus with vassals, increased morale) only lasts a single year.

Yeah, I'd honestly wondered if there was some sort of MY VERSIMILITUDE explanation for that, or some weird conception of game balance. Blots are basically Feast++ and Norse are overpowered already, but on the other hand you have to be at peace to call one (which being Norse disincentivizes) and Norse are overpowered in the "taking territory" sense, not necessarily the "keeping vassals happy" sense, so I think nine years is probably a bit overkill.

(or maybe I'm just creeped out by keeping my random neighbours in jail for eight years just in order to sacrifice the ones that survive.)

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Well blots realistically only occurred every nine years. There really should be a normal feast option along with the blot.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Dallan Invictus posted:

(or maybe I'm just creeped out by keeping my random neighbours in jail for eight years just in order to sacrifice the ones that survive.)

I'm a terrible person that literally goes raiding for children to imprison every 9 years for my blots. :ohdear:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

This loving game. They seem to think of everything.
Well, to be honest, that's not exactly an obscure thing to think of addressing, given that the event only crops up in the first place if you have multiple gay vassals.

A Tartan Tory posted:

I'm a terrible person that literally goes raiding for children to imprison every 9 years for my blots. :ohdear:
Why children? You can't even execute children at blots, can you?

jb7 posted:

Well blots realistically only occurred every nine years. There really should be a normal feast option along with the blot.
It probably wouldn't be that hard to put in an alternate version that skips right to the post-blot feast part, really.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

No, but children don't seem to die a lot in dungeons for some reason, gives you more cattle...err people to sacrifice.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

A Tartan Tory posted:

Blots are the best way to deal with rebellious, captured vassals.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

A Tartan Tory posted:

No, but children don't seem to die a lot in dungeons for some reason, gives you more cattle...err people to sacrifice.
Man, I always have more people in my jail than I know what to do with, given the addition of capturing from castles. I actually modded in a minor decision to disable siege capturing, just for when I don't want to deal with the flood of prisoners anymore.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Man, I always have more people in my jail than I know what to do with, given the addition of capturing from castles. I actually modded in a minor decision to disable siege capturing, just for when I don't want to deal with the flood of prisoners anymore.

I just like having prisoners in my dungeons, it makes me feel more important.

For some reason, I think I would be a pretty terrible Dark Ages ruler. :black101:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I always seem to capture lots of high ranking prisoners right after I've held a Blot and most of them die in prison before I can hold another one.

Has anyone managed to sacrifice the Pope?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

marktheando posted:

Has anyone managed to sacrifice the Pope?

Not a Pope, but I did manage a Caliph once.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Strudel Man posted:

Well, to be honest, that's not exactly an obscure thing to think of addressing, given that the event only crops up in the first place if you have multiple gay vassals.

It probably wouldn't be that hard to put in an alternate version that skips right to the post-blot feast part, really.

You can sacrifice your own mother....so....

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Schizotek posted:

You can sacrifice your own mother....so....
Yeah, but I've frequently had children in the dungeon when I hold a blot, and I've never seen them called up.

And indeed, checking the event code, it does require that the person be 16.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Strudel Man posted:

True, but the cool little touches in this DLC keep piling up (the runestone traits are a particular favourite) and I'm feeling effusive today.

quote:

Yeah, this is probably the best answer since Norse can't do ordinary feasts.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
If Catholics need any kind of "super-decision" like the Blot, they should have the option to go on a Pilgrimage to a holy site like with Muslims and the Hajj. Is the Pilgrim trait used for anything yet or is it just sitting in the code? I've never seen it on any characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I thought I was set when my king only had one son by the time he was 70 so I thought it wouldn't hurt to get married again. He had twin boys and a fourth boy a year later in his mid 70's :gonk:

Is there a certain age you stop having kids? I was sure it would've been 70 at least.

• Locked thread