Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
What sorts of things carry over between lives aside from gear? Like, house upgrades if you've married and had a child?

Also, I just smoked that darknessborn at only half its level. :metal101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Bummey posted:

What sorts of things carry over between lives aside from gear? Like, house upgrades if you've married and had a child?

Also, I just smoked that darknessborn at only half its level. :metal101:

The gear is persistent, the house upgrades and such seem to be specific to that one playthrough. I like the progression of things actually, that early on you can unlock some nice gear, which makes every later run NG+, there are some higher level items to save up for on a run, and then once you have all those you still have to worry about buffing your dude with upgrades and perks on your latest game. I also like that so many of the things are side grades rather than upgrades, so you don't have an automatic choice of über weapon/perks to aim for. Buff everything, or superbuff a couple of things, there's choice to be had even with the simplistic combat. I'm enjoying boosting the gently caress out of my axe's power attacks, but that's just me. Plenty of other options.

It's odd that the graphics can be both terrible but kind of awesome at the same time. Games like this are why I love the App Store, as there are all sorts of odd little things hiding away on there waiting to be discovered. It also makes me sad that often they fall through the cracks and need to be found by sheer chance. I tried looking for it on Touch Arcade to add a comment to try and boost its visibility a bit. It's there in the database, but I couldn't access it through the app. Even the link to Appshopper didn't work properly. Not sure if that was me or for everyone. This guy really deserves a bit of exposure for this, Eli get your Bat People to fix your site.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

It allows you to hone that specific subtype of weapon three times instead of twice. I was quite disappointed with it too, as I was hoping for that amount of cash it would let me do stuff like alter materials/elements to better outfit my guys rather than just provide a minor power boost.

From what I can tell, the pricing math results in hones becoming more and more profitable as you stack them on a given item; the third hone makes you more money than the second, which makes you more money than the first. That said, 300k is pretty ridiculous—I'm min-maxing hard over here and it's still probably going to be another real-time day or so (of intermittent play) before I can afford one of those upgrades.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm not min-maxing, but jesus I think I need to be considering I just unlocked a new set of 500k upgrades and I'm still waiting for my squadron of 'completed' low-level heroes to finish their quests so I can get more level 15+ heroes who can bring in some real money.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
So I went from being kind of "is this it?" at the start of Warhammer Quest, to buying ALL the IAP heroes and the campaign today. The new heroes look interesting. I think when I do a replay in hardcore mode, I'll set myself the rule that when a hero dies that I must bring in a different hero to replace them. That should be fun.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

So I went from being kind of "is this it?" at the start of Warhammer Quest, to buying ALL the IAP heroes and the campaign today. The new heroes look interesting. I think when I do a replay in hardcore mode, I'll set myself the rule that when a hero dies that I must bring in a different hero to replace them. That should be fun.

Something to be aware of, is that when you level up a char, the skill they get is random. People have reported getting several amazing offensive spells with their Grey Wizard, or Might Blow on their Ironbreaker, while my two versions of those chars are basically a healbot and a passive useless motherfucker, respectively.

Apparently when you level up, if you get a poo poo skill you can just force quit the app before the game saves and reload to try again, but it's kind of a lame way of doing it. Would have much preferred if they gave you a choice rather than making it random.

Also - Trollslayer with Mastercrafted Axe and +hit chance ring is a total badass.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

bubbapook posted:

Something to be aware of, is that when you level up a char, the skill they get is random. People have reported getting several amazing offensive spells with their Grey Wizard, or Might Blow on their Ironbreaker, while my two versions of those chars are basically a healbot and a passive useless motherfucker, respectively.

Apparently when you level up, if you get a poo poo skill you can just force quit the app before the game saves and reload to try again, but it's kind of a lame way of doing it. Would have much preferred if they gave you a choice rather than making it random.

Also - Trollslayer with Mastercrafted Axe and +hit chance ring is a total badass.

It's random? That's ... awesome. Seriously. Look I know games with multiple skills are all the rage these days, but it's kind of annoying that every single one of them lets you choose your build. I've always wanted, at least as an option, for skills to just be randomly assigned to me from a pool and I have to just deal with it rather than picking precisely the one I want. I mean even with XCOM, a game that I adore, I pick the same skills for every class every time.

I now officially love Warhammer Quest even more. Plus, this gives it much more replayability in my book.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

It's random? That's ... awesome. Seriously. Look I know games with multiple skills are all the rage these days, but it's kind of annoying that every single one of them lets you choose your build. I've always wanted, at least as an option, for skills to just be randomly assigned to me from a pool and I have to just deal with it rather than picking precisely the one I want. I mean even with XCOM, a game that I adore, I pick the same skills for every class every time.

I now officially love Warhammer Quest even more. Plus, this gives it much more replayability in my book.

It'd be nice if I felt the same way, but the fact that it's random means I totally can't be assed to replay all over again and risk just getting the same poo poo twice.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I like random stuff. I get decision paralysis when it comes to customization in video games all the time and end up just putting down a game if it keeps asking me to make decisions on how to build characters.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Merchant to the Stars tips:

Always hone. And always upgrade your honing capabilities when given the option to.

But later in the game (think level 12+), don't bother buying and honing blue or higher-colored weapons unless they are an upgrade for one of your heroes. The colored weapons take too many resources to hone, as compared to regular weapons, and the regular weapons can be worth just as much as some blue, green, or orange weapons depending upon their power. This means that you should be buying, honing, and selling off all of the non-rare weapons your heroes find (or using them as scrap to continue this process).

If you want your adventurers to bring back more items, give them their preferred equipment. If you want the items they bring you to be more powerful, give them items (preferred or not) that are strong against the type of dungeon they're in. Finally, if you want to promote your guys out and get newer, better adventurers, give them powerful weapons (aka, a weapon with a power level in excess of the power level of the dungeon, and armor of the same) that are strong against the dungeon they're in.

In the early game, hoard electric items since they remain relatively rare and (at least in my game) are strong against many of my adventurer's dungeons. Don't worry about keeping crappy electric items long-term though. You get a relatively easy way to get more electric items in the future.

The blue items adventurers give you for completing a dungeon are typically junk and not worth the honing.

I'll also note to the dev: fun game, but every single one of these things I described needs to be tweaked in game play, or was just plain unclear and had to be gleaned out by trial and error. If you want, you can PM me for more feedback.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 4, 2013

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sword & Glory thoughts and tips:

Yeah, there's a rock/paper/scissors thing going on with the attacks. I forget the precise details, but if you ask your brother for "brotherly advice" about combat in the early game he'll spell it out. I THINK it's Careful -> Power -> Fast -> Careful. Then there's the issue of domination which I'm not QUITE sure how that works yet but I gather if both of you hit at the same time it the higher domination attack goes through. I think I've noticed it bypassing the R/S/P mechanic as well at extreme enough values.

The permanent progression things I've noticed so far are the items and also the character unlocks. THere are a TON of hte latter. Basically you have to *gasp* loving RP your character and act as you think he would act and you can unlock perks for later guys to use. I had a dude who ran around basically being a really nice loving guy and killing the motherfucking poo poo out of people in the name of "compassion" and he unlocked a perk where people can get 25% more glory for being compassionate. I had another guy unlock some trader specific perk by going on a trading expedition to motherfucking Kiev and coming back with buttloads of money.

The game is seriously ALL ABOUT the perk system. They claim that there are over 200 of the things.

Also, your total honor is another non-displayed variable (actually I think it's displayed here and there, but it's super discrete). For example, if you play 3 games and die at 3k, 12k, and 35k honor respectively your total honor gained is 50k. There are some unlocks that automatically happen at 150k, 200k etc, or you can pay Glory to unlock them now if you're impatient.

I think there are also some items that are unlocked by specific quests. At least I got a blurb flashed at me on the intro screen once that there was an axe or something you could get via Silver in the Dark. I still haven't killed that loving Darkspawn, though so <:mad:>

The best way to get to middle age that I've yet found is to be super conservative in your fights. Always pick on the weak, always try to level way the gently caress up before hitting any of the obviously hard quests (Silver in the Dark, etc) and so on. Problem is that you frequently end up with an over-all lower honor game and even equal-level fights can get to be a bitch once you hit middle aged and start getting poo poo like -2 stam and -30% stam regen thrown on you.

What can I say, sticking swords in people is a young man's game. Live fast, die young, ride a flaming boat into the void :black101:

Motherfucking iOS GOTY right here.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Well Cyrano, you got it mentioned on Pocket Tactics.

http://pockettactics.com/2013/06/04/go-get-sword-glory-immediately/

Hopefully that gets some more downloads going. I bought 800 Epic Points for three bucks to throw the dev a little scratch. Wasn't actually a lot to spend it on, would probably need to convert most of them to coins to use them up. It's not really unbalancing at all, just gives a bit of a temporary headstart on some playthroughs.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

For Sword & Glory, has anyone discovered any other unique unlockable equipment in the game besides killing the Darkspawn in Silver in the Dark? I was able to unlock "The Dark Mace" (+4 damage when not tired) for beating it, which is pretty awesome.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bobfather posted:

In the early game, hoard electric items since they remain relatively rare and (at least in my game) are strong against many of my adventurer's dungeons. Don't worry about keeping crappy electric items long-term though. You get a relatively easy way to get more electric items in the future.

Thanks for posting this, but this particular bit of advice may not apply to everyone- the dungeons and the weaknesses of the monsters in them are randomly generated so not everyone will need a ton of electrical items.

quote:

The blue items adventurers give you for completing a dungeon are typically junk and not worth the honing.

Blue? When a hero retires he's supposed to bring in a light blue Mythic item with power on par with his dungeon power rating, is this not happening?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 4, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

haveblue posted:

Blue? When a hero retires he's supposed to bring in a light blue Mythic item with power on par with his dungeon power rating, is this not happening?

That is what I meant. It is happening when they retire entire questlines, and recently it has even been happening when on a current quest some new danger comes up and they are able to vanquish it using the gear I sell them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'll look into that, then.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

What I meant is, I am getting the light blue items as I'm supposed to be. I've been nonplussed by them though. Maybe those items, being that they are so expensive to hone should be items that are not only extra powerful, but are also picked to match a preference of another adventurer you have, so the items are always useful, but expensive to upgrade?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ah, OK. That's certainly a valid complaint and a good idea.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Corridor posted:

What is Jacksmith? It's a bitch to google for.

It's a surprisingly decent flash game made/published by Armorgames (you can find it on their site), similar to the Papa's Pizzaria games, only you're a smith and you craft (using minigames) weapons for a band of adventurers. I've spent more than two evenings on it so far and the game has some depth, where different materials (that you buy or your adventurers find during battles) power up the weapons differently, have elemental effects, etc. Most of the gameplay is the crafting minigames, and a little is about choosing the right weapons/weapon upgrades.

It's a neat little game and scratches the whole "wanna supply a band of adventurers while they go out and do things" itch for me.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Colbear posted:

It's a surprisingly decent flash game made/published by Armorgames (you can find it on their site), similar to the Papa's Pizzaria games, only you're a smith and you craft (using minigames) weapons for a band of adventurers. I've spent more than two evenings on it so far and the game has some depth, where different materials (that you buy or your adventurers find during battles) power up the weapons differently, have elemental effects, etc. Most of the gameplay is the crafting minigames, and a little is about choosing the right weapons/weapon upgrades.

It's a neat little game and scratches the whole "wanna supply a band of adventurers while they go out and do things" itch for me.

There was also a good flash game on kongregate where you had a item shop for adventures. I forgot the name of it, but it even had an online component where you could join a guild of other merchants.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

:siren: Rocket Riot just went free :siren:

It was a silly little twin stick shooter from xbox live a few years back, with jetpacks and rocket launchers and silly stuff. I liked it well enough but I'm not sure how it plays on a touch screen. Free is free.

http://appshopper.com/games/rocket-riot-hd

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think there are also some items that are unlocked by specific quests. At least I got a blurb flashed at me on the intro screen once that there was an axe or something you could get via Silver in the Dark. I still haven't killed that loving Darkspawn, though so <:mad:>

Aw darknessborn is a chump. I wrecked his poo poo pretty easily, but sometimes combat goes that way. Helping your brother with his fishing problems is a good example of how weird the combat is. Pick the stronger enemy (usually double your level at the time) and sometimes he'll be a cakewalk and never attack but most of the time he'll charge your rear end like a rhino and blow the poo poo out of your defense. It's weird.

The mace you get from the darknessborn is +4 damage when not tired, by the way.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So I'm pretty sure there's a game-breaking bug in the IOS version.

I'm playing Trials and Tribulations right now and I'm on Bridge to Turnabout, and right after the part where you talk to Bikini about (massive spoilers) how Iris is Morgan's daughter and also learn she has a twin you should next see Gumshoe at the Courtyard (according to every walkthrough out there), yet he's not appearing. I've been everywhere and clicked on anything I can think of.

What's interesting is that this starts right at part 3 of the investigation for that day. But this is unique to the IOS version as the previous games there were only two parts. So they split the second part for this one. I've gone back and just restarted from the third part, and same thing.

Has anyone been able to complete the IOS version of Trials yet?

If you've played the game before on DS you can try it out yourself. Download the app and go to part III of the second day of investigation.

edit: nvm, looks like they just changed when a particular event is supposed to happen.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 4, 2013

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

So I'm pretty sure there's a game-breaking bug in the IOS version.

I'm playing Trials and Tribulations right now and I'm on Bridge to Turnabout, and right after the part where you talk to Bikini about (massive spoilers) how Iris is Morgan's daughter and also learn she has a twin you should next see Gumshoe at the Courtyard (according to every walkthrough out there), yet he's not appearing. I've been everywhere and clicked on anything I can think of.

What's interesting is that this starts right at part 3 of the investigation for that day. But this is unique to the IOS version as the previous games there were only two parts. So they split the second part for this one. I've gone back and just restarted from the third part, and same thing.

Has anyone been able to complete the IOS version of Trials yet?

If you've played the game before on DS you can try it out yourself. Download the app and go to part III of the second day of investigation.

I've noticed other problems that aren't game-breaking, but sure are annoying. For example, only the frontmost Psyche-locks are animated, and the ones that appear behind a character simply appear after the animation has ended for the frontmost Psyche-locks, rather than being animated too, like in the DS version. I've also several times encountered blank text boxes (for example when first speaking to Mia in case 2-2). Honestly, there's so much laziness in this port that it kind of baffles me that Ghost Trick's port turned out so good. I really hope somebody gets around to patching it a bit.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So... Kingdom Rush tomorrow night? :)

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Feenix posted:

So... Kingdom Rush tomorrow night? :)

gently caress yes! I want mechs and necromancer towers.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

XCOM is a bit more different in it's skills assignments. They each offer two different versions of each class, and it generally boils down to how you use those units. I generally use 1 Sniper, 1 Assault, 1 Heavy and 3 Supports, so my Assault, Sniper, and Heavy look the same from game to game, my Supports are generally three different builds of the same class. They definitely goofed the skill tree design in certain ways because I'll always take sprinter (and why wouldn't you), and generally speaking one of the level 2/3 options is basically a "MUST" and should've been made the classes Level 0 option.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I almost feel like XCOM would have been better off with maybe two extra classes and a static skill progression rather than skill trees. The current system really only offers the illusion of choice, at best.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Paradoxish posted:

I almost feel like XCOM would have been better off with maybe two extra classes and a static skill progression rather than skill trees. The current system really only offers the illusion of choice, at best.
There's 2 or 3 distinct ways to build a Heavy, and I'm pretty sure all the other classes have similarly useful variants. The only one I'm really skeptical of is Sniper - I just can't imagine anyone going snap shot over squad sight with them.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Al Baron posted:

Plants Vs. Zombies 2 is iOS exclusive and coming in July. F2P.
I've been playing PvZ since its Day 1 release on PC. I'm cautiously optimistic that the F2P part of PvZ2 will be like the later updates to the original: keep replaying levels/minigames to grind coins for optional upgrades, or buy your way out if it. And I was so busy replaying levels and harvesting the Zen Garden that I had no problem with buying the upgrades.

Then again, EA bought PopCap, so...we'll see.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

The Macaroni posted:

I've been playing PvZ since its Day 1 release on PC. I'm cautiously optimistic that the F2P part of PvZ2 will be like the later updates to the original: keep replaying levels/minigames to grind coins for optional upgrades, or buy your way out if it. And I was so busy replaying levels and harvesting the Zen Garden that I had no problem with buying the upgrades.
Edge has a preview of the game.

quote:

It's Free-to Play

Relax: it’s not that kind of free-to-play. There’s no energy system, no limit on lives – you can play through the entire game in a single sitting, if you’ve got about 15 hours to spare. There are no paywalls, no Candy Crush-style insistence that you either badger Facebook friends or pay a nominal fee to get to the next level. There are a handful of premium items – permanent boosts that increase your starting amount of sun, for instance – available through real money in-app purchase, and a handful of plants, too. But as lead producer Allen Murray explains, PopCap is determined to prove to the sceptical that free-to-play doesn’t have to be evil. “Frankly, it’s been something the team has really struggled with: how do we do it right? We’re just trying to find a really good balance. We want people to play and enjoy the game, and not feel like they’re being bilked all the time.”

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Shalinor posted:

There's 2 or 3 distinct ways to build a Heavy, and I'm pretty sure all the other classes have similarly useful variants. The only one I'm really skeptical of is Sniper - I just can't imagine anyone going snap shot over squad sight with them.
I used both on two different snipers last time I played - Snap Shot is great for maps with lots of interior/cover, especially the last map, and stops your sniper from being left behind as you move up the map. Squad Sight is just ridiculous on carpark/forest maps though because it's not an issue that your sniper is just standing in one place.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sword & Glory

Just had a duel where I sent some skald flying off a cliff because my ancestors hated his new fandangled hellspawned instrument, a fiddle. :black101: This game is great.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Corridor posted:

What is Jacksmith? It's a bitch to google for.

I wish it was on iOS... Seems like a really fun game.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

LIMBO KING posted:

Just had a duel where I sent some skald flying off a cliff because my ancestors hated his new fandangled hellspawned instrument, a fiddle. :black101: This game is great.

:black101: A fitting death for christians

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

quote:

We want people to play and enjoy the game, and not feel like they’re being bilked all the time.”

I wish it weren't true, but that statement is usually followed a few months later by "drat it we lost our drat shirt on that game".

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

stromdotcom posted:

I wish it weren't true, but that statement is usually followed a few months later by "drat it we lost our drat shirt on that game".

On the other hand, they have the one thing that developers taking a principled stand on IAP usually don't: an enormous, established customer base.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
All this talking has made me download Sword & Glory. The last time I grabbed a game because of goons talking about it was Battle Cats Nibble Quest, but it didn't hold my interest. Then again Battle Cats was like crack for about 2-3 weeks.

Parkingtigers posted:

The randomness stops being fun similar to how rolling HP at level up in Baldur's Gate stops being "fun" when your 18 constitution fighter just rolled a 1 or 2 for the 3rd time in a row and now has less HP than your cleric and thief. :(

Or you have a level 6 mage with ~16 max HP meaning it can still die in a single well-placed hit (or most spells, like a magic missile/acid arrow from a similarly leveled mage). Yeah it makes the game more interesting (not really) but when you can have characters level up and end up lovely through no fault of your own that's arguably worse than people just stick with what works each and every time while having the choice to do something else.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Evil Fluffy posted:

The randomness stops being fun similar to how rolling HP at level up in Baldur's Gate stops being "fun" when your 18 constitution fighter just rolled a 1 or 2 for the 3rd time in a row and now has less HP than your cleric and thief. :(

Or you have a level 6 mage with ~16 max HP meaning it can still die in a single well-placed hit (or most spells, like a magic missile/acid arrow from a similarly leveled mage). Yeah it makes the game more interesting (not really) but when you can have characters level up and end up lovely through no fault of your own that's arguably worse than people just stick with what works each and every time while having the choice to do something else.

The reasons you don't like the random nature of the game make sense, but you've got multiple people in this very thread saying they enjoy that same randomness. It's not lovely or objectively worse than other systems. It just ain't your thang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Bummey posted:

:black101: A fitting death for christians

This is the best game. Thank you so much for finding it.

• Locked thread